PDA

View Full Version : Royals Paul Splitorff not expected to make it through the week

suzzer99
05-16-2011, 03:28 PM
This is really sad. I grew up watching Splitorff play and graduated with his daughter Jenny.

Royals Great, Paul Splittorff, In A Losing Battle With Cancer
Greg Hall
May 16, 2011

Paul Splittorff spent his 15-year MLB career with the Kansas City Royals befuddling major league batters as a talented southpaw on the mound. The past two seasons he has done the same to Royals fans who have tuned in to Royals TV broadcasts on FoxSports. Splittorff was there for opening day in 2010 but his voice was gone. The longtime Royals’ analyst’s speech was slurred. He had people asking if he had suffered a stroke.

Splittorff quickly brushed off all questions about his health by saying he had simply caught a virus and that he expected his voice to recover soon. Fox removed him after the 2010 season opener but he returned to the broadcasts later last season. After returning, his voice seemed no better despite the layoff.

Splitt has been there for almost every Royals’ home game I’ve watched this season and sounded worse than ever. His speech issues again have sparked a number of rumors and questions as to what is affecting his speech. I have confirmed with people close to Splitt that he has been suffering from both throat cancer and melanoma now for some time and he appears to be close to death. He recently was administered his Last Rites from his priest in his KU Medical Center hospital room. He is not expected to make it through the week.

Individuals at the Med Center have marveled at how head-on Splittorff has handled his cancer. He would take his chemo treatments and then rush out the door to cover the Royals. His charts at KU Med are covered with warnings to not bother him with autograph requests or to ask him for the typical requests all professional athletes receive. This didn’t stop at least one doctor from asking Splittorff if he could bring his sons by to meet him. And anyone who knows Splitt knows that he told the doctor. “Sure, that would be fine.”

I first saw Splitt pitch when he was breaking in with the Royals in Omaha in 1969. I was just starting high school and the Royals had just replaced the A’s as Kansas City’s expansion team. It seemed every time I went to Rosenblatt Stadium, Splittorff was the starting pitcher for the Omaha Royals. I was always disappointed. How could this skinny lefty from Morningside College be expected to make it in The Show? Obviously, I had an eye for talent even then.

I got to know Splitt a bit when I wrote for The Star and spent some time in the Royals’ press box. I don’t think you could find a more down-to-earth guy. He never acted like a former player by big-timing anyone. He was beyond humble, especially about his broadcasting. We sat and talked about my column – as he nervously picked away at flecks of dry skin on his hands and arms.

He took his broadcasting career very seriously. When he started broadcasting games for ESPN, he was in a word – awful. I wrote in a column how bad he was and we talked about that column a few times. Splitt told me he agreed 100% with how bad I thought he was during his early years. It made him work all the harder at his new craft.

Splitt eventually became very good as an analyst and a broadcaster. He was excellent at making a point. During the height of the Royals 100-loss seasons, Splitt was one of the few broadcasters associated with the Royals to criticize the club for their lack of direction and the deterioration of a once-proud franchise. He quickly became one of my favorite analysts because of his passion for the Royals and his fearlessness in speaking his mind.

While he has battled cancer, much of that fire and insight has dimmed from his work on Royals’ broadcasts. Only Splitt knows why he was determined to go on television when he might have been spending his last year doing something we all would find more life fulfilling. But as I stated, Splitt takes his job seriously. Going to work is what he finds life fulfilling. We need more guys like Splitt wearing Royals blue. We need more guys like Splitt period.

Archie F. Swin
05-16-2011, 03:34 PM
First Quiz...now this?

suzzer99
05-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Don't forget about Howser. Also didn't MacDougal have some kind of brain thing?

chiefqueen
05-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Don't forget about Howser. Also didn't MacDougal have some kind of brain thing?

I think you're confusing MacDougal with Quiz. Also, Ken Brett, George's brother, also died of brain cancer.

chiefqueen
05-16-2011, 03:52 PM
IMO, if the docs are right, even if the Royals go 7-0 this homestand this will still be a losing homestand.

gblowfish
05-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Jesus. What a bad Monday. I learned today one of my friends in Colorado lost his 21 year old son in a car wreck over the weekend. Another friend's dad passed away Saturday night. Now this news. Just a totally crappy Monday.

Split is a class act. I met him in the elevator at Kauffman Stadium once. I shook his hand and thanked him for all the great times. I gave a cold shoulder to Bob Davis -who was also in the elevator- because I'm a Mizzou fan.

This will be a sad week at the K.

Imon Yourside
05-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Splittorf will be missed, he's a class guy for sure. See you in heaven split.

gblowfish
05-16-2011, 04:04 PM
This from the Lawrence Journal-World Website:

Former Royals pitcher Paul Splittorff reportedly fighting cancer

Greg Hall at KC Confidential is reporting that former Kansas City Royals pitcher and current broadcaster Paul Splittorff has throat cancer and melanaoma. Hall is also reporting that Splittorff "is not expected to make it through the week."

Since 2010, Paul Splittorff has been battling some issues with his voice that left him off the television broadcasts following Opening Day. It's long been reported that he had a viral infection at the root. While he's improved since then, there is still some lingering issues with his voice that for the most part have kept him on the pre and post-game rather than his customary color commentary.

Listening to Splittorff break down a game made Royals television broadcasts not only entertaining but educational. He never talked down to the audience and he always had interesting things to say. Since his voice troubles surfaced, I've truly missed his analysis. While he clearly had some trouble talking, I was always a proponent of having him back in the booth. It was never the sound of his voice that I enjoyed, rather it was the thoughts that were being voiced. I'd always assumed that eventually, he would recover and be back in the booth.

I hope that the predictions are wrong, Split can recover and once again we can hear him discuss the fine art of pitching. In the mean-time my thoughts are with the Royals Hall-of-Fame pitcher, broadcaster and his family.

Update: The Royals have released an official statement on Paul Splittorff

The family of Paul Splittorff has confirmed that he has been admitted to an area hospital and has received treatment for both oral cancer and melanoma. The family has also requested to please respect their privacy during this difficult time and to expect no further comments on his condition.

Demonpenz
05-16-2011, 04:07 PM
I remember Splitorff being really harsh on Renalvus Hernadez because he was fat. He also was really harsh on the royals. He would make it clear that the team is going no where if they don't get young talent. That was always good with everyone else were just towing the company line. I think with splits Broadcast work and with his on the field play they should think about retireing his number.

RockChalk
05-16-2011, 04:07 PM
I gave a cold shoulder to Bob Davis -who was also in the elevator- because I'm a Mizzou fan.

Actually, he's a prick. So you were right to give him the cold shoulder whether you're a KU fan or not. He probably muttered something along the lines of, "he must've not recognized me", to Splitt.

gblowfish
05-16-2011, 04:08 PM
810 has confirmed the story with a family member. Doesn't look good.

Deberg_1990
05-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Well that sucks.......His name definately brings back some nice memories from my childhood. Thanks for the memories Splitt.......

Titty Meat
05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Sucks. So was it cancer that caused him to lose his voice?

teedubya
05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
That sucks... I loved Splitt as a player and he's been good in the booth, aside from his recent speech problems. Godspeed, brother.

gblowfish
05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
KC Star has a story up from Bob Dutton, Royals Beat Writer:
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/16/2879651/former-royals-pitcher-splittorff.html

Mr. Laz
05-16-2011, 05:16 PM
:(

KChiefs1
05-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Wow...sad news indeed.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Living proof the Royals are a Cancer.

MoreLemonPledge
05-16-2011, 06:39 PM

:shake:

Pedro
05-16-2011, 06:52 PM
It is very sad that so many high-profile ex-Royals have gone down to cancer. Dick Howser and Dan Quisenberry died far too young, and it looks like Splitt is going to join them.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-16-2011, 06:58 PM
God bless ya Splitt. You were always a trooper, in game and in your broadcast career when it was obvious you weren't ok. You'll always be one of my favorites. Way to play till the last innings bud.

MoreLemonPledge
05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm hoping that eventually the prevalence of chewing tobacco stop in baseball. He's certainly not the first to get oral cancer.

KCrockaholic
05-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Paul Splitorff would've pitched better tonight.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2011, 10:44 PM
yah i saw him walk past when i was at the game last saturday and he didnt look good at all. looked really badly actually

Sure-Oz
05-16-2011, 10:47 PM
This really sucks...

Did the broadcast mention it at all during the game tonight?

kcfanXIII
05-16-2011, 11:40 PM
For those that never met him, split was exactly like you would imagine him being from his on air personality, he is a really nice guy and always respectful. He has done business with the company i work for for years. Praying for the best for him and his family.

RockChalk
05-17-2011, 07:34 AM
This really sucks...

Did the broadcast mention it at all during the game tonight?

Yes. Ryan spoke about it for a few minutes before the game started.

Dave Lane
05-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Damn not good at all. Great guy pitcher that really worked his craft and wasn't the most talented. His passing will be a loss to all KC fans.

Demonpenz
05-17-2011, 10:19 AM
He isn't dead yet. come on split eye of the tiger!

Coogs
05-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I was at a game during the 70's when the A's were in town. This was during the A's glory days, with Rudi, Jackson, Bando, Tenace, etc. Splitt was pitching. Claudell Washington or Billy North led off the game with a chopper off of home plate that came down to Brett at 3rd with no chance to throw out the runner at 1st. Splitt retired the next 27 batters in a row!

:clap::clap::clap:

4th and Long
05-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Dear Mr. Glass,

I don't know how this escaped my attention, although I'm betting it's due to the fact that I rarely watch the product you put on the field in recent years, but I noticed a terrible injustice done last night. No, I am not talking about historic beat down that happened last night. I am, instead, wondering how in the hell Kyle Davies ended up wearing Paul Splitorff’s number.

As God is my witness, if this is not rectified prior to Split leaving this world, I will never again spend a single penny on anything that has to do with the Kansas City Royals. I will petition every friend I have, in the real world or in the land of the internet, to follow suit.

Get it done. Get it done, now.

Demonpenz
05-17-2011, 10:29 AM
HELL YEAH THEN WE CAN ALL NOT BUY GAS ON MAY 22nd

Ace Gunner
05-17-2011, 10:30 AM
liked listening to paul very much, I'll miss him there.

I salute the Royals organization for allowing Paul to continue while he could. takes balls these days to allow a guy with speech problems to continue his job in the booth.

hawkchief
05-17-2011, 10:32 AM

I salute the Royals organization for allowing Paul to continue while he could. takes balls these days to allow a guy with speech problems to continue his job in the booth.

Great post. Hats off the the Royals front office, indeed.

suzzer99
05-17-2011, 10:33 AM

I agree. I honestly think KC is one of the few towns that would have allowed this, and where the fans would be ok with it because they love the guy, and know something was wrong with him that he was fighting through. LA? NY? lol

KevB
05-17-2011, 10:42 AM
I agree. I honestly think KC is one of the few towns that would have allowed this, and where the fans would be ok with it because they love the guy, and know something was wrong with him that he was fighting through. LA? NY? lol

Agreed, and it's the reason many of us want to live here. It's not always this way, but the big city with small town values is a great way to live and raise a family.

Keep up the good fight Split, you were very good at your job. I'll miss his candor in the booth.

Reaper16
05-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Dear Mr. Glass,

I don't know how this escaped my attention, although I'm betting it's due to the fact that I rarely watch the product you put on the field in recent years, but I noticed a terrible injustice done last night. No, I am not talking about historic beat down that happened last night. I am, instead, wondering how in the hell Kyle Davies ended up wearing Paul Splitorff’s number.

As God is my witness, if this is not rectified prior to Split leaving this world, I will never again spend a single penny on anything that has to do with the Kansas City Royals. I will petition every friend I have, in the real world or in the land of the internet, to follow suit.

Get it done. Get it done, now.
Wait, what? Your hardline demand is that the organization retire Splittorff's number sometime this week? Really?

siberian khatru
05-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Let's win one for the Splitter.

Mama Hip Rockets
05-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Living proof you are not funny.

4th and Long
05-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Wait, what? Your hardline demand is that the organization retire Splittorff's number sometime this week? Really?
My actual hard line is this.

Split is in the Royals HOF. His number should be unavailable, today, even more so than before.

gblowfish
05-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Living proof you are not funny.

That's why I've had that guy on iggy forever. Classy.

Simply Red
05-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Very sad - My uncle used to live near him, additionally I graduated a yr. before Jamie.

Day by day, Jamie. :(

This really sucks!