PDA

View Full Version : Life Spinoff: How well do you know your neighbors?

DaFace
05-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Yep. It's the offseason, and I'm bored. So, here's another poll.

Bugeater
05-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Neighbors as in "people right next door" or neighbors as in "people in the neighborhood"?

kstater
05-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Neighbors is a relative term. The closest one is 400 yards away.

Jewish Rabbi
05-16-2011, 07:52 PM
I know my female neighbors a little better than their husbands.

Bugeater
05-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Sounds like the perfect neighbors.

DaFace
05-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Neighbors as in "people right next door" or neighbors as in "people in the neighborhood"?

I'm too lazy tonight to really make this a comprehensive set of mutually exclusive answers, so just answer with whatever mentality makes sense for you. There are too many different combinations to really do it right.

kstater
05-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Sounds like the perfect neighbors.

I occasionally hear their kids bouncing a basketball. Kind of annoying really.

kstater
05-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm too lazy tonight to really make this a comprehensive set of mutually exclusive answers, so just answer with whatever mentality makes sense for you. There are too many different combinations to really do it right.

Options 3 and 5 aren't mutually exclusive.

Bugeater
05-16-2011, 07:57 PM
You think that's bad? I have a school playground across the street from me. There's always kids running around screaming and yelling and having a good time. Drives me fucking nuts.

DaFace
05-16-2011, 07:57 PM
As for me, I'm generally friendly with my neighbors, but the wife and I are a bit out of place in the neighborhood. Most people around here seem to have kids and, thus, don't get annoyed when other people do things like put cones out all over the street so that their kids can ride their bikes out in front of my car without paying attention to the fact that they're about to get run over.

I also have a guy next to me that lets his dog run all over the place, though it's a pretty cool dog. I've never felt the urge to kick it anyway. :)

DaFace
05-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Options 3 and 5 aren't mutually exclusive.

Your mom's not mutually exclusive.

philfree
05-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Not very well. It's me though because I'm just not social. I would help my neighbor any time I was needed but I'm a loner type of individual by nature. So no I don't really know my neighbors.

PhilFree:arrow:

KurtCobain
05-16-2011, 07:59 PM
You think that's bad? I have a school playground across the street from me. There's always kids running around screaming and yelling and having a good time. Drives me fucking nuts.

LMAO

ThaVirus
05-16-2011, 08:00 PM
You think that's bad? I have a school playground across the street from me. There's always kids running around screaming and yelling and having a good time. Drives me ****ing nuts.

Aren't you supposed to stay 1000 feet away from any schools or playgrounds?

Bugeater
05-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Aren't you supposed to stay 1000 feet away from any schools or playgrounds?
I was never convicted on those charges. :thumb:

rageeumr
05-16-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm somewhere between the first two. We have neighborhood poker nights and occasional "drink in the driveway" parties. Some of the group will actually go out to the bar together, but I haven't gotten that chummy with any of them.

Predarat
05-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Im kind of between 2 and 3 but closer to 3.

SAUTO
Everyone on my block is over seventy. I help them out. I like them all. Wasn't always that way though. The guy who lives behind me tried bully tactics for about the first year I lived here. I had to be firm to him and let him know that I owned my property just like he owned his. I stayed respectful and now we get along great.
i also take out the woman across the streets trash every week. She makes me cookies. And once made some chicken and wild rice that was awesome.

Good people.

And I lost the neighbor to the direct west of me. He was upper 90s and we gained one of his kids. Youngest but me. Upper 70s
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
Since I don't own a dog, or have kids, and I'm not active in the condo association, I barely know anybody. We were really good friends with a married couple two doors down, but they got divorced and moved away. Beyond that, the only person here who's complete name I know is our next door neighbor, and only because we get her mail by mistake occasionally. She's also so anti-social that she makes me look bubbly - I think we've spoken five or six times over the years. My neighbor on the other side is really nice, and I chat with him occasionally, but I have no idea what his first or last name is, and since we've been neighbors for seven or eight years, I'd be embarrassed to ask at this point. The guy on the other side of him is really nice, and a big Packers fan. We've chatted about football a couple of times, but I don't know who he is, either. There's a guy in my building named Mark who's on the board, but he's a snooty douchebag and half the time he won't even say hello.

I've lived here 10 years, too.

But that's okay, I have enough friends. Unfortunately, most of them live in other states.

KurtCobain
I knew personal details about my neighbor before I ever met him. We're in a duplex and I can hear every word they say in the bathroom. I think they sit in there and smoke meth every morning about the same time I'm showering before work. When somebody raided my car for change and his for a quality speaker system, we talked and called the police together. Since then we've had casual conversations and he gave me some Cheezits the other day. They don't seem to be bad people, even with the meth problem, they keep to themselves.

Frazod
05-16-2011, 08:07 PM
I knew personal details about my neighbor before I ever met him. We're in a duplex and I can hear every word they say in the bathroom. I think they sit in there and smoke meth every morning about the same time I'm showering before work. When somebody raided my car for change and his for a quality speaker system, we talked and called the police together. Since then we've had casual conversations and he gave me some Cheezits the other day. They don't seem to be bad people, even with the meth problem, they keep to themselves.

First in

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSP8Aml_m8TUoeutjyxMubrzlAPpndZmYOO-hirQI8NQR80gwNXxA

WV
05-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Meth heads? He's probably the one who broke into your car for the change and stole his own radio to hock for more crank.

Bugeater
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
To answer the question, the neighbors on both sides of me are great. The ones to the north are a very cool retired couple, and to the south is a couple about my age with kids the same age as my son. I couldn't ask for better neighbors.

But beyond that, I don't know many others very well, if at all, which is odd since I've been here for almost 12 years. Or maybe it's not a bad thing considering some of the horror stories I hear about other people's neighbors.

KurtCobain
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Meth heads? He's probably the one who broke into your car for the change and stole his own radio to hock for more crank.

Maybe... but they have a lot of nice things i.e a wii huge tv and such that they could've already done that with. I think they're in the extremely small category of meth heads who work and do meth.

SAUTO
05-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Maybe... but they have a lot of nice things i.e a wii huge tv and such that they could've already done that with. I think they're in the extremely small category of meth heads who work and do meth.

I would guess potheads. But you have probably heard them talk about what they are doing
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
05-16-2011, 08:16 PM
I would guess potheads. But you have probably heard them talk about what they are doing
Posted via Mobile Device
You're probably right, but they still may be occasional meth users. No one that does it on a regular basis is going to keep a job, home, TV, etc.

Rain Man
05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
our neighbors are perfect. if someone needs something they can ask for help and get it, but no one ever does. if we see each other we say hi and chat for a few minutes and then go about our business, which is perfect.

we'll occasionally do dinner with one set of neighbors, but that's because we know them through our company, primarily.

we also host a block party once every five years or so, and everybody pretty much comes and is friendly and then goes home.

perfect neighbors.
Posted via Mobile Device

KurtCobain
05-16-2011, 08:21 PM
You're probably right, but they still may be occasional meth users. No one that does it on a regular basis is going to keep a job, home, TV, etc.

That's true. The reason I think they're on meth is because I've heard them mention rolling a pipe a few times in the morning and they never sleep. The only time they're not in the bathroom bitching about us and the other neighbors or in their living room playing Wii with the volume way too loud and the door open is when they leave for work. Unless there is no work and they leave to sleep somewhere, then they're on something.

SAUTO
05-16-2011, 08:24 PM
That's true. The reason I think they're on meth is because I've heard them mention rolling a pipe a few times in the morning and they never sleep. The only time they're not in the bathroom bitching about us and the other neighbors or in their living room playing Wii with the volume way too loud and the door open is when they leave for work. Unless there is no work and they leave to sleep somewhere, then they're on something. sound like meth....

They are good at it if the can function that well though.

Job/nice things...
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
05-16-2011, 08:26 PM
sound like meth....

They are good at it if the can function that well though.

Job/nice things...
Posted via Mobile Device
Meh...it won't last. The shit will turn on them. It always does.

Frazod
05-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Thank God I have thick, well-insulated side walls. We almost never hear our neighbors, and since our unit has three levels, there's nobody else above or below.

Rain Man
05-16-2011, 08:27 PM
That's true. The reason I think they're on meth is because I've heard them mention rolling a pipe a few times in the morning and they never sleep. The only time they're not in the bathroom bitching about us and the other neighbors or in their living room playing Wii with the volume way too loud and the door open is when they leave for work. Unless there is no work and they leave to sleep somewhere, then they're on something.

never accept cheezits from meth heads who complain about you in their bathroom. I constantly have to warn people about that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
05-16-2011, 08:30 PM
BTW, major fail with option #4. It should read "If I saw my neighbors and didn't know who they were, I'd never know it was them".

KurtCobain
05-16-2011, 08:31 PM
My walls are paper. If you push one part of the ceiling in my living room up, you can see in my neighbor's.

Frazod
05-16-2011, 08:41 PM
My walls are paper. If you push one part of the ceiling in my living room up, you can see in my neighbor's.

There are three types of units in the buildings in my development. Interior units, like mine, have three levels. The units on the ends of the buildings, however, are upper and lower. The weasel fucks who built this place used a ton of sound insulating in the upstairs and downstairs models, but the actual units being sold (which were under construction at the time) have nothing between them to impede sound. The unfortunate bastards who OWN these units, especially the people in the lower units, hear every step made upstairs. A lady across the street once told me that she could actually hear the neighbor's cat walking across the floor above her. That's fucked up.

KurtCobain
05-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Damn, are they high priced places?

Frazod
05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Damn, are they high priced places?

They aren't cheap. The town I live in is generally considered one of the best suburbs in the Chicago area. We're also about a mile from the commuter train station, and location alone keeps the places in demand.

Typically these are starter homes - young couples move in, but eventually they have kids and outgrow it. Not an issue for me, and as many times as I've moved in my life prior to living here, I'm in no hurry to go anywhere.

keg in kc
05-16-2011, 09:15 PM
I fall somewhere in between "wouldn't recognize" and "smile". Since I live in an apartment complex, there's regular turnover, and I'm not exactly the most outgoing person there is, so my contact is limited to chance encounters on the way to/from my truck. I try to be friendly, although I have my "leave me the fuck alone" days.

luv
05-16-2011, 09:21 PM
My neighbors and I have helped each other get unstuck during the last three winters. I know one works at OReilly's. I know the names of the two little dogs that live above me. I don't even know people's names, but I know what everyone drives and there's a gay couple that lives upstairs.
Posted via Mobile Device

MIAdragon
05-16-2011, 09:26 PM
The wife hates them, I love the neighbors, we live just across the st from the University of Miami, so every year an new crop of young thong wearers flock to our pool. Gonna be sad when we leave this place.

Bugeater
05-16-2011, 09:56 PM
My neighbors and I have helped each other get unstuck during the last three winters. I know one works at OReilly's. I know the names of the two little dogs that live above me. I don't even know people's names, but I know what everyone drives and there's a gay couple that lives upstairs.
Posted via Mobile Device
LMAO I used to have an apartment above a couple of lesbos. It was pretty obvious which one strapped it on and which one was the wife.

I saw them leaving to go fishing one day...they were both wearing overalls....

CrazyPhuD
05-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Does carnal knowledge count as knowledge?

Psyko Tek
05-16-2011, 11:20 PM

well, go teach them how to take a charge

WV
05-16-2011, 11:28 PM
The wife hates them, I love the neighbors, we live just across the st from the University of Miami, so every year an new crop of young thong wearers flock to our pool. Gonna be sad when we leave this place.

Perfect neighbors!

Psyko Tek
05-16-2011, 11:32 PM
K here was my sunday night...
was doing barbe que with one of my neighbors at my apartment

we are just bs'n
when the guy 50 ft away opens his door and shouts we are to loud
so I walk over to talk to him
he says he has to make this news video in 12 minutes and we are being to loud
say sorry we are just talking
and turn to leave
he yells at me Glenn Beck says just start laughing and walk away

2 minutes later he opens his door and is back lit looking like he is drwaing down on us
classic shooter stance
and then he holds it up to show it's a gun

I yell my girl to get down now
my bud is dialing 911
and I walk towards him

he retreats we got 23 cops and
a chopper in 45 seconds
they make us hide behind the apartment
I here them yelling at him to come out(bullhorns)
and then they tell us iyt is clear

I see him today and he flinches as he walks by
the cops never told us what happened
not sure how gfood I am with my nieghbors

Mr. Flopnuts
05-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Huh, guess I'm the only one with really, no neighbors. We moved down here to get into a house, with a yard, and in a certain community. While it's not perfect, the biggest perk IMO, is the fact that while I have neighbors, they are literally HUNDREDS of yards away in a trailer park behind our house. That's it. No other houses within miles with the exception of our landlords about a quarter mile behind us.

When we first moved in, the neighbors would smile and wave, and occasionally I would reciprocate. But I got tired of it honestly and stopped. So they did too. For me, it's like, what's the point? I don't want you to stop, and I'm not sharing my BBQ with you when I'm cooking, so there's no point in really pretending.

Some people here can attest that I'm an incredibly outgoing, and fun person to be around. However, it is only when I want to be. And that can be pretty rare. Pretty much, I'm a hermit, that was raised by hermits. But those hermits aren't my biological parents, so my personality genes come from outgoing, social people. Weird huh? Welcome to Flopnuts' randomness.

luv
05-16-2011, 11:42 PM
LMAO I used to have an apartment above a couple of lesbos. It was pretty obvious which one strapped it on and which one was the wife.

I saw them leaving to go fishing one day...they were both wearing overalls....

They don't live directly above me where the little dogs live. They live across the breezeway from the dogs. I mean, it's kind of obvious when two fashionable guys with feminine voices are roommates in a one bedroom apartment.

I went into OReilly's one day to buy wiper blades, and a guy who lives downstairs from me was working. He said "Hey neighbor." I don't think they know my name either. He and his girlfriend (or wife, not sure) live downstairs and across the breezeway from me. I had dad's Envoy most of this past winter, and his girl stopped and asked me about my car, since I was the only person they hadn't had to help get unstuck this past year.

There's a single girl who lives below me that I've had a couple of guy friends comment on, but she often has her boyfriend over. I think she's a snooty bitch. She will stay in her car until someone who is leaving gets in their car, and she never smiles or says hi.

The guy who lives above me is a single guy with two small dogs. He mostly keeps to himself, but tends to get the pretty girls' attention whenever he takes them out. He looks good with his shirt off, and looks like he might be the bookworm type. I noticed his dome light was on in his car when I got home late one night. I glanced up, saw his living room light was on, so I went up, knocked on his door, and told him. That's the first (and only) time I've been up to the third floor...lol.

There's a lady who lives across from me. The only time I've ever seen her long enough to talk to her was when she was wearing a Broncos jersey. I made a comment about living across from a Broncos fan (I have a Chiefs door mat). She must be a flight attendant or something. She's typically gone for long periods of time, and is away more than home.

I don't know my next door neighbor or anyone on that side of the building. They all tend to park on the other side of the building, so we never pass. The only thing I know about the person next door is that he drive a black Toyota with a STL Cardinals license plate cover thingy. He's the only one who parks on our side of the building.

I don't go out of my way to meet my neighbors, but I typically always smile and say hi when I run into then going up or down the stairs.

Mr. Laz
05-17-2011, 08:58 AM
i'm the neighborhood computer fixer so they have to pretend to like me at least :D

Donger
05-17-2011, 09:01 AM
I smile through my clenched teeth at most of them. Except for that ebullient, blond workout queen down the street.

suds79
05-17-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm friendly with neighbors but honestly I can't wait to get a place someday with the wife somewhere on an acreage that's pretty remote.

A little more remote location just sounds nice.

seclark
05-17-2011, 09:12 AM
we're out in the country, and have never had neighbors any closer than about a half mile. where we used to live, we'd get together for cards, sled riding, bbq's, etc. it was great, and we're still very close w/all of them.

since we've moved(5 years) to the new place, we smile and wave, but never get together w/any of them. i ran over one of the neighbors cats once, but they ran over our dog a couple months later, so that all worked out ok. then the wife called the sheriff on another neighbor cause his cows kept getting out and fucking up our yard. he was pissed for awhile, but then his wife kicked him out and he had to move them, so it's all really pretty nice.

sec

tooge
05-17-2011, 09:12 AM
I only have two, and both are about 200 yards away. I'm pretty good friends with both.

MOhillbilly
05-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Used to be Grandma & Grandpa on one side and Virgil Clayton on the other. I dont really know the sobs who live there now. Out front there isnt a house for miles.

SAUTO
05-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Huh, guess I'm the only one with really, no neighbors. We moved down here to get into a house, with a yard, and in a certain community. While it's not perfect, the biggest perk IMO, is the fact that while I have neighbors, they are literally HUNDREDS of yards away in a trailer park behind our house. That's it. No other houses within miles with the exception of our landlords about a quarter mile behind us.

When we first moved in, the neighbors would smile and wave, and occasionally I would reciprocate. But I got tired of it honestly and stopped. So they did too. For me, it's like, what's the point? I don't want you to stop, and I'm not sharing my BBQ with you when I'm cooking, so there's no point in really pretending.

Some people here can attest that I'm an incredibly outgoing, and fun person to be around. However, it is only when I want to be. And that can be pretty rare. Pretty much, I'm a hermit, that was raised by hermits. But those hermits aren't my biological parents, so my personality genes come from outgoing, social people. Weird huh? Welcome to Flopnuts' randomness.

thats what took me the longest to get used to in a small town

EVERYONE waves when you pass them. even people i dont know. For the longest time i didnt wave back and then someone told me what an asshole i seemed like. now i wave at everyone and they all love me.

seclark
05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
thats what took me the longest to get used to in a small town

EVERYONE waves when you pass them. even people i dont know. For the longest time i didnt wave back and then someone told me what an asshole i seemed like. now i wave at everyone and they all love me.

hell, i've had a guy drive past my place while i was mowing, wave like hell then toss an empty beer can out in my yard.
sec

SAUTO
05-17-2011, 10:43 AM
hell, i've had a guy drive past my place while i was mowing, wave like hell then toss an empty beer can out in my yard.
sec

LMAO most know better around here.

gblowfish
05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
The neighboring family on one side have been in their home for more than 60 years. My family in my house for more than 50 years. Across the street, 30 year old guy, and his family has been in that house for more than 50 years. I've got great neighbors that are like my own family.

Red Beans
05-17-2011, 10:59 AM
My neighbor across the street helped me lay some sod one afternoon. Really nice guy, has aspirations of penning gospel music. Super friendly, but always invites me to church. Although not a bad thing, I'm usually stoned when I work out in the yard, and occasionally this makes me think that he's trying to win me back over to the side of light and away from the darkness of the devil weed...

RedNFeisty
05-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a park and school across the street from me, so only neighbors on the sides and one in the back.

On the east side is a little boy my daughters play with and a new hot young guy, that I have yet to say more then hi to, oh wait, my daughter threw her shoes over the fence into his yard once, I had to ask about going into his yard. He smiled and said anytime.

On the west side is a single redhead, she is my favorite waitress at my favorite bar.

Behind me, are the crazy people, nicest people, but a few screws loose...lol

tooge
05-17-2011, 11:18 AM
My neighbor across the street helped me lay some sod one afternoon. Really nice guy, has aspirations of penning gospel music. Super friendly, but always invites me to church. Although not a bad thing, I'm usually stoned when I work out in the yard, and occasionally this makes me think that he's trying to win me back over to the side of light and away from the darkness of the devil weed...

just paranoid

tooge
05-17-2011, 11:31 AM
I have a park and school across the street from me, so only neighbors on the sides and one in the back.

On the east side is a little boy my daughters play with and a new hot young guy, that I have yet to say more then hi to, oh wait, my daughter threw her shoes over the fence into his yard once, I had to ask about going into his yard. He smiled and said anytime.

On the west side is a single redhead, she is my favorite waitress at my favorite bar.

Behind me, are the crazy people, nicest people, but a few screws loose...lol

he said "anytime" cuz he wants to piiyb

Red Beans
05-17-2011, 11:58 AM
just paranoid

The whole "Does he know?" scenario.

Frazod
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM

You should ask him if he's ever driven a Cougar. :)