PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs McCluster ready to put injury-plagued season behind him

Coogs
05-19-2011, 07:17 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/18/2885881/mccluster-ready-to-put-injury.html

McCluster ready to put injury-plagued season behind him
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Dexter McCluster the Chiefs thought they were getting last year when they drafted him in the second round surfaced all too rarely last season.

There was his signature moment, the punt he returned 94 yards to help the Chiefs beat the Chargers in the Monday night season opener. There was his 31-yard catch-and-run for a touchdown a few weeks later against San Francisco.

There was little else memorable from McCluster’s rookie season, something he promised to change next season.

“I’ll tell you one thing: It’s going to be nice to see what I’m going to do this year after that first-year experience,” McCluster said this week after a player-organized practice at a Kansas City area high school. “The main thing I learned is I have to know my stuff. I played running back and I played wide receiver and I played slot receiver, so I have to know a lot to be on top of my game. That was the major adjustment for me. They’re not looking for excuses.”

He had one of those handy. A high ankle sprain caused McCluster to miss five games in the middle of the season, and clearly he didn’t have the same quickness and speed after returning for the final five games plus the playoff loss to Baltimore.

His rushing, receiving and returning statistics went down dramatically in those final five games. He had the two touchdowns before the injury and none afterward.

“A lot of people said he fell off the last part of the season, but that’s not what happened,” quarterback Matt Cassel said. “He kept working through everything. He showed up for every meeting while he was hurt. He listened.

“He had a high ankle sprain. He was never able to truly recover even when he did come back. You should have seen the tape they had to put on him when he did come back. It was crazy. Those high-ankle sprains, those are the worst. You saw what happened. He couldn’t even move his foot, so he was limited.”

McCluster called the injury his “first and last” high ankle sprain. It’s the type of injury that can and in this case apparently did limit his quickness and speed, but it’s something McCluster didn’t want to offer as a reason for the second-half drop-off.

“The injury really brought me down,” he said. “But I kept working at it. I’ve been injured before, so I went back out there and I wasn’t timid. I was running and cutting and doing it the same way I’d been doing it. I won’t say I was actually back to what I was but I wasn’t scared to try to play.

“One thing I learned last season: Success does not come overnight. You’ve got to work, you’ve got to grind. You’re going to go through hard times and you’re going to go through high times. So nobody is perfect. I gave it my best, and I’ll continue to give it my best.”

The players are barred from using the Chiefs’ practice facility because of the NFL lockout, so Cassel is organizing some pitch-and-catch sessions with some of the receivers at a local high school.

McCluster, after spending time at his offseason home in Florida, joined the workouts this week. The players wear only shorts and T-shirts, and the drills involve no contact, but McCluster looked as agile as ever and may be ready to deliver on his promise.

“I’ve got nothing but high expectations for Dexter,” Cassel said. “Last year was a tough season. You could see the production and then he had the injury.”

The Chiefs’ collection of offensive skill players already included Pro Bowlers in Dwayne Bowe, Jamaal Charles and Cassel. They also have Tony Moeaki, who debuted last year with a nice rookie season, and Thomas Jones, who has produced five 1,000-plus-yard rushing seasons.

They added wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin, drafted in the first round. That’s a large group of players Cassel will need to feed with only one football to do it. So Baldwin’s addition could take some opportunities from McCluster.

But Baldwin immediately becomes the deep threat at wide receiver, and his presence could help divert defensive attention from McCluster.

“We have some players that can put us in some great situations,” McCluster said. “We have a lot of guys the defense will have to key on. That can only help me and all the players.”

Reerun_KC
05-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Sweet....

Looking forward to this!

KCUnited
05-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Nice to see Dex bounce back after getting let go by Starbucks.

Demonpenz
05-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Ready to put the season behind him unlike what he does to defenders

Chief Roundup
05-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Ready to put the season behind him unlike what he does to defenders

Hope you have to eat those words. And around here it will get shoved down your throat.

Mr. Laz
05-19-2011, 10:30 AM
so he is prepared to grow 2 inches and add 30lbs so he doesn't get hurt as easily?

mikey23545
05-19-2011, 10:36 AM
so he is prepared to grow 2 inches and add 30lbs so he doesn't get hurt as easily?

Are you prepared to add 60 IQ points so you don't post shit this stupid?

High ankle sprains are not the result of being too small.

talastan
05-19-2011, 10:43 AM
If they can get Dex involved than with Baldwin going over the top, Bowe drawing double teams, Dex or Moeaki should be open. We have a decent passing attack, provided the QB can actually throw to them. Cassel hopefully will get his time with Zorn to work out his quirks. The lockout is hurting Cassel the most of anyone on this team IMO.

vailpass
05-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Broken by week 8.

MahiMike
05-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Broken by week 8.

's ok. We'll have the division locked up by then.:thumb:

vailpass
05-19-2011, 10:55 AM
's ok. We'll have the division locked up by then.:thumb:

:thumb:

Bump
05-19-2011, 10:59 AM
I have a little bit of hope for Dex. Hopefully he can explode at a consistent level next season.

okiedokieokoye
05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
And hey...we still have Chris Chambers!!!!

FUCK YEAH!!!!

Okie_Apparition
05-19-2011, 11:08 AM
His job is to spear Jacoby Ford's groin on special teams

Mr. Laz
05-19-2011, 11:15 AM
High ankle sprains are not the result of being too small.
yea because that's the only injury that coming for a smurf running back who can't make people miss ... dam sprained ankle probably saved his life.

-King-
05-19-2011, 11:19 AM
yea because that's the only injury that coming for a smurf running back who can't make people miss ... dam sprained ankle probably saved his life.

:doh!:

ModSocks
05-19-2011, 11:22 AM
who can't make people miss

That's retarded. You wanna knock him for being small, fine. But "Can't make people miss" GTFOH.

HotRoute
05-19-2011, 01:36 PM
“He kept working through everything. He showed up for every meeting while he was hurt. He listened. He had a high ankle sprain. He was never able to truly recover even when he did come back. You should have seen the tape they had to put on him when he did come back. It was crazy. Those high-ankle sprains, those are the worst. You saw what happened. He couldn’t even move his foot, so he was limited"

This

Im surprised people are being so hard on him. give him another year to prove himself before you write him off completly. I have high hopes for the kid

Hammock Parties
05-19-2011, 02:34 PM
The injury is a red herring...he was pathetic before the injury...go back and watch the Texans game.

Easy 6
05-19-2011, 02:57 PM
The injury is a red herring...he was pathetic before the injury...go back and watch the Texans game.

He was also a rookie who was learning a brand new position... but lets not let facts cloud our judgement.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2011, 02:59 PM
He was also a rookie who was learning a brand new position... but lets not let facts cloud our judgement.

He also couldn't make guys miss to save his life and has been moved to running back...

Easy 6
05-19-2011, 03:03 PM
He's a better fit at RB anyway.

I cant wait to see him bust off a couple of doozies & watch you pull a 180.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2011, 03:09 PM
He's a better fit at RB anyway.

I cant wait to see him bust off a couple of doozies & watch you pull a 180.

He will have less than 250 rushing yards next year.

Easy 6
05-19-2011, 03:24 PM
He will have less than 250 rushing yards next year.

That sounds a bit low, but could be right considering he has Charles & Jones ahead of him. But he's also going to get his share of receptions & of course will get punt or kick return duties.

You really think Haley & co are going to let a second rounder sit around on the bench in a true third stringer role? they arent going to scheme ways to get him involved & get their moneys worth out of him?

Oh ye of little faith...

Hammock Parties
05-19-2011, 03:29 PM
That sounds a bit low, but could be right considering he has Charles & Jones ahead of him. But he's also going to get his share of receptions & of course will get punt or kick return duties.

LMAO

Yeah he is going to have a huge workload I'm sure.

suzzer99
05-19-2011, 03:29 PM

Nonsense. Every rookie gets 5 games, then we write them off for good. And forget all the times we were wrong. EZ game.

Easy 6
05-19-2011, 03:34 PM
LMAO

Yeah he is going to have a huge workload I'm sure.

Of course, you're right, Haley is just gonna let his second round pick flounder on the fringes of the team & thus announce to fandom that he totally bungled a high pick :thumb:.

Easy 6
05-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Nonsense. Every rookie gets 5 games, then we write them off for good. And forget all the times we were wrong. EZ game.

WE WANT INSTANT SUPERSTARS OR ****'EM!

Thig Lyfe
05-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I heard he actually sprained his ankle by texting while driving.

kcxiv
05-19-2011, 03:38 PM
WE WANT INSTANT SUPERSTARS OR ****'EM!

word, 1st round 2nd round, 3rd round, you better come out and be superstars in year 1 bitches!