PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Dessert Warfare: Round 4, Match 5

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 09:58 AM
We have our first apple on apple violence in this set of matchups.

Renegade
05-19-2011, 10:00 AM
My turn, in before poll

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Pie (0 Losses) vs. Boston Cream Pie (1 Loss)

The CPBC pie sounds good, but Boston cream rules. It drew a tough competitor last round, so it's vulnerable. Save Boston cream!

Chocolate Mousse (0 Losses) vs. Cherry Pie (0.5 Losses)

Mousse rules. Easy win for mousse.

Turtle Cheesecake (0 Losses) vs. Apple Crisp (0 Losses)

This is a tough one. I'm worried that the turtle cheesecake has nuts and would usually go for the apple crisp, but today I'm in a cheesecake mood. Going cheesecake today.

Warm Spiced Apple Cake with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream (1 Loss) vs. Apple Pie (0 Losses)

Easy win for apple pie here. Spice apple cake makes me grimace slightly.

mlyonsd
05-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Spice apple cake makes me grimace slightly.:doh!:Do you even know what spiced apples are?

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 10:06 AM
:doh!:Do you even know what spiced apples are?

No. What are they?

I think I've had that cake before, and was disappointed that I couldn't get another dessert.

Bearcat
05-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Turtle cheesecake vs apple crisp is a championship-type match up.

mlyonsd
05-19-2011, 10:14 AM
No. What are they?

I think I've had that cake before, and was disappointed that I couldn't get another dessert.

Apple rings canned in a syrup made from melted Red Hots. The apple rings turn red. The cake is cooked like a pineapple upside down cake and then flipped right side up so the syrup and rings are what you cut through with your fork.

I can understand voting for apple pie, but grimace?

Don't mind the fact that I'm pretty sure spiced apple cake was my nominee.

crazycoffey
05-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Turtle cheesecake vs apple crisp is a championship-type match up.

not when you don't like cheesecake...

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Warm Spiced Apple Cake with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream (1 Loss) vs. Apple Pie (0 Losses)

Easy win for apple pie here. Spice apple cake makes me grimace slightly.I voted apple pie, but spiced apple cake very good.

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 10:16 AM
not when you don't like cheesecake...Sorry, not donuts on this list. :thumb:

crazycoffey
05-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Sorry, not donuts on this list. :thumb:

cute, and so very original... 4321

:p

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Apple rings canned in a syrup made from melted Red Hots. The apple rings turn red. The cake is cooked like a pineapple upside down cake and then flipped right side up so the syrup and rings are what you cut through with your fork.

Holy cow. I thought it was just apples in cinnamon or something. I can't stand red hots. Now I'm openly grimacing.

But wait - are you a lemon meringue/key lime voter? If so, I'll support you like Jimmy Carter supported the shah.

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Dude. That is NOT apple spiced cake.

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Holy cow. I thought it was just apples in cinnamon or something. I can't stand red hots. Now I'm openly grimacing.

Dont like cinnamon?

I've never heard of a recipe for spiced apple cake that included Red Hots.

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Dont like cinnamon?

I've never heard of a recipe for spiced apple cake that included Red Hots.

I'm fine with cinnamon and actually give cinnamon a big thumbs up. I didn't describe my thoughts very well. I was thinking spiced apple cake had a bunch of normal spices in it, and my vague memories of having it in the past were that I wasn't a huge fan of the spices that were used.

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm fine with cinnamon and actually give cinnamon a big thumbs up. I didn't describe my thoughts very well. I was thinking spiced apple cake had a bunch of normal spices in it, and my vague memories of having it in the past were that I wasn't a huge fan of the spices that were used.Typical spices. Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice.

Some of the same spices you'd find in a pumpkin pie.

RockChalk
05-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Boston Cream Pie should be dominating the Peanut Butter Cup pie. This is absurd.

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Boston Cream Pie should be dominating the Peanut Butter Cup pie. This is absurd.Both are awesome.

mlyonsd
05-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Dude. That is NOT apple spiced cake.

It is where I come from.

mlyonsd
05-19-2011, 12:08 PM

But wait - are you a lemon meringue/key lime voter? If so, I'll support you like Jimmy Carter supported the shah.

I voted for Key Lime in one of the polls. Can't remember what it was up against. Must have been pretty bad though if I voted for Key Lime.

RockChalk
05-19-2011, 12:11 PM
I voted for Key Lime in one of the polls. Can't remember what it was up against. Must have been pretty bad though if I voted for Key Lime.

I have voted against Key Lime every round. It could be Key Lime vs burnt turd with ice cream and I'd choose the burnt turd

Key Lime vs Lemon Meringue would be a non-vote

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 12:14 PM
It is where I come from.I googled and cant find red hots in any recipe. Your recipe does sound good though. Any combination of apples and cinnamon is not a bad thing.

mlyonsd
05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I googled and cant find red hots in any recipe. Your recipe does sound good though. Any combination of apples and cinnamon is not a bad thing.

To be honest it's something we came up with. Couple years ago our trees had so many apples on them the limbs were almost touching the ground. We were looking for every way possible to save as many as we could.

The wife came up with the idea of canning 'red hot' apple rings. In some of the jars I also put in a jalepeno.

They're great for mixing with regular apples to when making apple crisp or pie. But that's another story.

patteeu
05-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm going to go with:

Boston Cream Pie - close call

Cherry Pie

Turtle Cheesecake

Warm spiced apple cake with homemade vanilla ice cream

patteeu
05-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Ugg, this might be my last vote for spiced apple cake. Red hots? Really?

patteeu
05-19-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm fine with cinnamon and actually give cinnamon a big thumbs up. I didn't describe my thoughts very well. I was thinking spiced apple cake had a bunch of normal spices in it, and my vague memories of having it in the past were that I wasn't a huge fan of the spices that were used.

You mean like basil and garlic?

patteeu
05-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Typical spices. Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice.

Some of the same spices you'd find in a pumpkin pie.

This was definitely my last vote for spiced apple cake. I don't even care for apples all that much, but to smother them in melted red hots or dress them up like a pumpkin should be a crime.

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 01:08 PM
This was definitely my last vote for spiced apple cake. I don't even care for apples all that much, but to smother them in melted red hots or dress them up like a pumpkin should be a crime.Not sure if serious...

Keep in mind, we're talking about 'cake'.

mlyonsd
05-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Ugg, this might be my last vote for spiced apple cake. Red hots? Really?It's a simple syrup with some red hots melted into the syrup. It's not like just melted red hots. The syrup is basically clear but enough red hots are in to turn the apples red. I wouldnt say it makes the apples hot. Well, maybe the jars with jalepeno might be considered a little warm to some.

It's a mans dessert. Definitely on the other end of the spectrum from cream pie anything.

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 01:14 PM
You mean like basil and garlic?

Yeah, and maybe paprika and oregano.

This red hot thing is freaking me out.

mlyonsd
05-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah, and maybe paprika and oregano.

This red hot thing is freaking me out.

Some people just can't think outside the box.

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Some people just can't think outside the box.

That's probably true, but have you ever tried putting some lemon pie filling in instead of the red hots? Because I think that would work much better.

mlyonsd
05-19-2011, 01:24 PM
That's probably true, but have you ever tried putting some lemon pie filling in instead of the red hots? Because I think that would work much better.

That would be called lemon cake. Which the wife made last night into mini-bundt pan molds. So they're like mini-bundt lemon cakes, iced with lemon frosting made with real lemons.

Test run for a fund raiser.

They were ok.

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 01:26 PM
This red hot thing is freaking me out.LMAO Its cinnamon. Whats not to like?

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 01:35 PM
LMAO Its cinnamon. Whats not to like?

That's not cinnamon. Cinammon is a friendly sweet roll from Cinnabon. It's a tasty topping atop a sopapilla. Those are fiery bits of pain that I can't imagine anyone enjoying.

As a completely unrelated side note, I read an article once about Linda Lovelace, the woman who did Deep Throat. She said that when they were on car trips her husband/boyfriend/producer/whatever would put a Red Hot inside a sensitive part of her body just to watch her squirm. Apparently it's quite uncomfortable to have a red hot inside a sensitive and moist part of one's body.

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 01:43 PM
That's not cinnamon. Cinammon is a friendly sweet roll from Cinnabon. It's a tasty topping atop a sopapilla. Those are fiery bits of pain that I can't imagine anyone enjoying.

Sweet? Try a pinch of cinnamon. :)

Concentrated cinnamon is very spicy.

I doubt making a simple syrup from them would be very spicy.

4th and Long
05-19-2011, 01:46 PM
As a completely unrelated side note, I read an article once about Linda Lovelace, the woman who did Deep Throat. She said that when they were on car trips her husband/boyfriend/producer/whatever would put a Red Hot inside a sensitive part of her body just to watch her squirm. Apparently it's quite uncomfortable to have a red hot inside a sensitive and moist part of one's body.
The older I get, the more I worry about you.

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 09:25 PM
The older I get, the more I worry about you.

My mom says that, too, but then she follows up by reminding me how handsome and smart I am.

Rain Man
05-20-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm in shock, utter shock. One moment I'm leading a happy, carefree life, and the next minute Boston Cream Pie is ripped from the tournament, never to be seen again. It's dead. Boston Cream Pie is dead.

I...I still can't believe it's gone.

Mousse takes a hit, turtle cheesecake takes a hit, and spiced apple cake departs the world as well.

BucEyedPea
05-20-2011, 08:51 AM
The choices are too sweet. Also something more cosmopolitan and sophisticated is what I prefer.
Perhaps a tiramasu, zabaglione or a flaming cherries jubilee crepe?

mlyonsd
05-20-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm in shock, utter shock. One moment I'm leading a happy, carefree life, and the next minute Boston Cream Pie is ripped from the tournament, never to be seen again. It's dead. Boston Cream Pie is dead.

I...I still can't believe it's gone.

Mousse takes a hit, turtle cheesecake takes a hit, and spiced apple cake departs the world as well.
Yeah I think we all knew Boston Cream Pie wasn't going to win it all but to lose to chocolate peanut butter cup?

Rain Man
05-20-2011, 08:57 AM
The choices are too sweet. Also something more cosmopolitan and sophisticated is what I prefer.

Well, you're too late to save tiramisu, and the other two weren't nominated. So I guess you'll have to go with lemon meringue pie and key lime pie as the next best substitutes.

Rain Man
05-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah I think we all knew Boston Cream Pie wasn't going to win it all but to lose to chocolate peanut butter cup?

Yeah, no kidding. Boston Cream Pie not only had the flavor advantage, but it also had better name recognition. I think perhaps Reese's marketing executives are flooding the poll.

luv
05-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Wouldn't that be why they're considered dessert?

RockChalk
05-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah, no kidding. Boston Cream Pie not only had the flavor advantage, but it also had better name recognition. I think perhaps Reese's marketing executives are flooding the poll.

I'm sick to my stomach over this. Actually considering leaving work for the remainder of the day

luv
05-20-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm sick to my stomach over this. Actually considering leaving work for the remainder of the day

Sounds like as good an excuse as any.

mlyonsd
05-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Or 5 year olds.

RockChalk
05-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Sounds like as good an excuse as any.

I'm my own boss. I'd buy it

Rain Man
05-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Try having a piece of Boston Cream Pie. It's not only tasty, but it sooths stomach ailments.

RockChalk
05-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Try having a piece of Boston Cream Pie. It's not only tasty, but it sooths stomach ailments.

The problem with this is that very rarely can one find good Boston Cream Pie. It's not a commonly found dessert around here. Plus, some idiots like to put frosting in the middle, which is just absurd.

BucEyedPea
05-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Wouldn't that be why they're considered dessert?

Oh I like a sweet dessert. I just don't like the ones that are too sweet. Or perhaps I mean too sugary.
For instance plain cheesecake isn't too sweet. Put caramel and chocolate on top—too sweet— for me anyway.

BucEyedPea
05-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Well, you're too late to save tiramisu, and the other two weren't nominated. So I guess you'll have to go with lemon meringue pie and key lime pie as the next best substitutes.

Huh?

I didn't see key lime pie up there. Sounds like there was a nomination process first that I missed.

Rain Man
05-20-2011, 09:48 AM
The problem with this is that very rarely can one find good Boston Cream Pie. It's not a commonly found dessert around here. Plus, some idiots like to put frosting in the middle, which is just absurd.

Frosting? That's insane. That's not a Boston Cream Pie.

As trivia, Boston Cream Pie is the official state dessert of Massachusetts.

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/cismaf/mf1a.htm

Rain Man
05-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Huh?

I didn't see key lime pie up there. Sounds like there was a nomination process first that I missed.

Do you have me on ignore, or have you missed the previous three rounds of voting?

Round Five will start soon, and key lime pie needs your help. Either key lime or lemon meringue must win this if Chiefsplanet is going to present a suave and sophisticated image to the rest of the football world.

patteeu
05-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Did you say something? /BEP fake ignore

mlyonsd
05-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Do you have me on ignore, or have you missed the previous three rounds of voting?

Round Five will start soon, and key lime pie needs your help. Either key lime or lemon meringue must win this if Chiefsplanet is going to present a suave and sophisticated image to the rest of the football world.Says someone that lives in Denver.