PDA

View Full Version : Life Tell us about: the person you look up to most in life

Jenson71
05-19-2011, 09:04 PM
You have to personally know the person, so Honest Abe or Gandhi don't count. Neither does Derrick Thomas, even though he did sack John Elway more than anyone else.

The person does not have to still be living though.

A parent, brother, friend, grandparent, teacher, neighbor, co-worker. Who is the person you look up to most, and why?

KurtCobain
05-19-2011, 09:05 PM
I don't know. I don't really have anybody I look up to.

Crush
05-19-2011, 09:06 PM
My Dad. One of the greatest human beings on the face of the planet.

ClevelandBronco
05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
All my life, my father. Once I began to understand how lucky I got after my father died, my stepfather.

Jenson71
05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't know. I don't really have anybody I look up to.

Do you want to look up to someone, or are you okay without one?

Simply Red
05-19-2011, 09:08 PM
that's a really hard question.

KurtCobain
05-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Do you want to look up to someone, or are you okay without one?

I don't really know.

Simply Red
05-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Jesus, and i'm just stating my opinion, mostly because he's saved my life when i asked him to. Even in the short term, when those happened over a year ago. Not only had he answered my cry - he answered like LBJ on the fall away.

KurtCobain
05-19-2011, 09:12 PM
It was actually just this thread that I realized I don't have one.

Thanks a lot, Jenson. Now I'm more lonely.

Simply Red
05-19-2011, 09:15 PM

you have me, buddy.

ClevelandBronco
05-19-2011, 09:17 PM

Don't do it, man. Courtney needs you this time.

Simply Red
05-19-2011, 09:19 PM
you'all proceed - Please, don't wanna go all religious, please carry on w/ your 'John Waynes' , 'Bruce Dickensons' 'Molly Hatchets'

CHENZ A!
05-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Gotta be Pops. The kindest, hardest working, most honest, old fashioned, positive, humble person I have ever known. He's just a blast to be around, and never met a stranger. He's my best friend in the world. I hope I can be like him one day.

headsnap
05-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Bruce Dickensons

More Cowbell or Number of the Beast?

RJ
05-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I didn't know my dad as well as I'd have liked to, but I did and still do look up to him. He was a really genuine guy, great sense of humor, a good businessman and admired and respected by the folks who knew him. Around 800 people showed up at the funeral home when he passed away. It was very touching and made me feel proud.

Also my grandpa. Hardest working man I ever knew. Never missed a day of work that I knew of, never paid a bill late, never once went back on his word. The man was a freaking rock. He was an engineer. During WWII he was involved in repairing the ships damaged in the Pearl harbor attacks. He always seemed proud of that. At least I think he was, the man wasn't much for talking.

headsnap
05-19-2011, 09:27 PM
I too would have to say my Dad. He didn't talk about much or what he was going to do, he just DID it!

I didn't realize it until it was too late... lost him to a major stroke just a little over two years ago.

Rain Man
Who's got the most rep on the board?

Simply Red
More Cowbell or Number of the Beast?

'Run to the Hills! da' da' cheshhh da' da' cheshhh - RUN FOOOOR YOURRR LIII--ii-IIIFFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!'

RJ
05-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I too would have to say my Dad. He didn't talk about much or what he was going to do, he just DID it!

I didn't realize it until it was too late... lost him to a major stroke just a little over two years ago.

That's how my dad was. He'd get an idea in his head and then out of nowhere he'd be starting some project or business idea. I always admired that about him.

KurtCobain
05-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Who's got the most rep on the board?

Bwana. Then Bug.

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Bwana. Then Bug.

Thank you. I look up to bwana the most. Then bug. And because Kurt Cobain looked that up for me, he's third.

Bugeater
05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Heh, no one really.

luv
05-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Anyone taller than 5'7".

Rain Man
05-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Heh, no one really.

I admire that.

DaFace
05-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Seems like the dad's are the popular choice here, and I'd say the same. I didn't appreciate him near enough when I was younger, but definitely do now that I'm older.

luv
05-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Seems like the dad's are the popular choice here, and I'd say the same. I didn't appreciate him near enough when I was younger, but definitely do now that I'm older.

Same here. He was the disciplinarian in the family. The one who meant "no" when he said it. Now that I'm an adult, he treats me like one, where my mom still treats me like I'm 13. He's always willing to help those he feels deserve it. He's kind of a dork, but I don't mind that. :)

Buehler445
05-19-2011, 09:41 PM
I've looked up to lots of people. But no ONE person. Lots of people have good attributes, but nobody is perfect. I want to be perfect.

Okie_Apparition
05-19-2011, 09:44 PM
You should neither look up or look down at anyone. But you could never follow rules very well...good for you.

pr_capone
05-19-2011, 09:49 PM
I admire a few people, but there is no one I look up to.

Gonzo
05-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I used to look up to my dad a great deal growing up. I have a lot of my personal and professional traits because of him. He's still someone I take advice from but not really a role-model anymore. I guess I really don't look up to anyone anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

LiveSteam
05-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately Hes 6 feet under ground now

Phobia
05-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Honestly, there are people who have qualities I admire but we're all very, very flawed. I don't really look up to anybody the most. I just try to worry about myself and do the best I can.

AustinChief
05-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Honestly, there are people who have qualities I admire but we're all very, very flawed. I don't really look up to anybody the most. I just try to worry about myself and do the best I can.

It's ok Phil, you can admit it. It's me isn't it?

luv
05-19-2011, 10:29 PM
It's ok Phil, you can admit it. It's me isn't it?

Only when he's on his knees.

BWillie
05-19-2011, 11:42 PM

Soo your sayin' ur a narcissist.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2011, 11:46 PM

There's something to that. I try and take things I admire about different people and do my best to apply them to myself. If this had been worded different it would have been alot better. Who made the biggest positive impact on your life comes to mind.

Over-Head
05-20-2011, 05:46 AM
My Uncle Jimmy
Fought to live through a bike accident which should have killed him, then has just completed his BA in engenering, during his third year of batteling MS :thumb::thumb:

Other than that, just read the bio section on my web site

seclark
05-20-2011, 06:56 AM
i used to think it was my grandfather, then my father. after awhile, i came to the decision it's my wife. she's done a helluva job over the last 30 years raising our kids and taking care of us all.

sec

blaise
05-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Maybe my grandmother. She's 94 and still plays golf twice a week, and regularly goes to movies and restaurants. When we go visit her she doesn't just sit there in her room, she goes out with us wherever we go. I hope I can have her same sort of enthusiasm and zest when (if) I reach her age.

ChiTown
05-20-2011, 07:16 AM
My Dad - hands down. WWII vet, worked the same job for 40 years in a warehouse and never complained, raised 4 successful children, we always felt loved and well-taken care of, he never missed one of our games or school events, was a terrific husband and role model, always willing to help anyone out, loved to be with his family. I've missed him every day he's been gone (almost 10 years). I don't know that I have been half the man that he ever was, but I'm sure he knows I'm trying to get there.

RIP, Dad.

The Franchise
05-20-2011, 09:23 AM
It's a tie between my Dad and my Grandpa (on my Mother's side).

I used to think my Dad was an asshole and a hard ass when I was growing up. He spent 23 years in the Air Force and I grew up with him being a First Seargent. He never let me get away with shit and now I see why......and I can thank him for it. He's the biggest fucking softie though when it comes to his six grandkids. He was blessed with two sons.....and five grand-daughters. He doesn't like to talk about it but I found out that when he was 18....he gave up playing baseball in the Majors.....to go to Vietnam.

My Grandpa (RIP) worked on a farm starting at 12 until he joined the military at 18. He served in WWI and then came back home. He started up his own farm....which he ran until he was 60. Then he started up his own vacuum cleaner and sewing maching repair business....which he ran until he was 85. I don't think the guy ever took a day off in his life. All of that....and he raised 5 awesome kids.

cdcox
05-20-2011, 09:37 AM
My dad is probably the person most responsible for who I am today. He taught me how to give a speech, how to confront bullies, how to talk to a teacher about an unfair punishment. He arranged a private swimming lesson for me when I was just about drowning in the group class. These all seem like little things, but they were huge in terms of confidence builders during my formative years. Mom provided a great steady hand, but when I really needed a boost, Dad was the one who helped me through the rough spots.

That said, I can't say I really look up to my dad. My life goals are/were different than his. I didn't arrange my life to emulate his. I set my own path at a pretty young age. Still I am very close to him and don't see him often enough. But I can't say I look up to him.

That pretty much goes for the rest of the world. There are people who are far more accomplished than me in just about any area that you can think of. Some of those accomplishments don't interest me that much. Even if someone is far more accomplished than me in an area I care about, I can't say I look up to them because I realize they are more talented than I am or had different circumstances than me. I try to learn things from those who are more accomplished from me, I take those things that work for me, and move on to chart my own life.

You have to choose your own path and make your own way.

BucEyedPea
05-20-2011, 09:42 AM
My mother

MOhillbilly
05-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Not to long ago i would said my Dad. But hes been gone so long...longer than i knew him.

TBH, ive looked up to everyone in my Clan at some point to some degree but the constant cornerstone in my life has always been Grandmother.

RNR
05-20-2011, 10:07 AM
I really cannot point to a person really. I more or less winged it through life. There are people I admire and people I love. I really did not have anyone who guided me. I put forth a huge effort to be that person for my kids. They turned out very well and I am extremely proud of both of them. They still seek my advice and I am always thankful they avoided my mistakes in life. I admire both of them as people and what they have accomplished in life. I love them dearly for overlooking my numerous flaws~

beach tribe
05-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Chuck Norris

burt
05-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Martin Luther King. Because he risked and lost his life standing up for others. Or Col. Sanders.

RealSNR
05-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Flopnuts.