PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ricky Williams as a Chief; Brodie a Viking?

Marco Polo
05-20-2011, 11:17 AM
The scouting report of Brodie is just...depressing considering the hope many fans had.

http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37931/59/offseason-low-down

4. Ricky Williams (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1506/Ricky-Williams), Dolphins

Scouting Report: Maybe it was the three-year sabbatical. Maybe it's the yoga. Whatever the cause, the effect is that Williams has yet to hit the running-back wall as he enters his mid-30s. While Ronnie Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3155/Ronnie-Brown) wore down noticeably in November and December, Williams maintained an even per-carry average of 4.2 throughout the season. Considering the Dolphins' run-blocking woes late last year, it's realistic to believe Ricky can play at a high level for at least one more season.

Availability: Williams was expected to walk away from the game after his one-year extension ran out in early January. He reversed course, instead, suggesting he had hit on the "right formula" for stay healthy and successful into his mid-30s. Williams would prefer to stay in Miami, but he hasn't been given "reason for optimism" on that front. He can still help a contender in a complementary role. Parcells coaching tree member Todd Haley could use Ricky in Kansas City as between-the-tackles insurance for a rapidly declining Thomas Jones (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/2408/Thomas-Jones).

Prediction: Chiefs on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.
-------------------
5. Brodie Croyle (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3619/Brodie-Croyle), Chiefs

Scouting Report: The 85th pick in the 2006 draft, Croyle's career has been marred by injuries, inaccuracy, and a total lack of success. He's winless in 10 starts with eight touchdowns, nine interceptions, and five fumbles. Croyle has completed just 56.7 percent of his passes with a 5.2 YPA. Though strong armed and fairly athletic, Croyle is exceptionally prone to knuckleheaded errors. In his lone start last year, Croyle completed 7-of-17 passes for 40 yards in a 31-0 loss.

Availability: Whether Croyle was tendered before March 3 isn't totally clear, but it's believed he did receive an "original pick" designation. Still, he's on notice after the Chiefs drafted Ricky Stanzi (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/6550/Ricky-Stanzi) in the fifth round. Croyle's offensive coordinator in Kansas City was current Bills coach Chan Gailey, although Gailey's offense was far more productive with Tyler Thigpen (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4284/Tyler-Thigpen) than Croyle.

Prediction: Vikings on a one-year, $850,000 contract.

mikey23545
05-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Ricky fumbles as much as he tokes.

Bump
05-20-2011, 11:23 AM
meh

The Franchise
05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
So wait...we're going to sign a broke dick RB as insurance for another broke dick RB? Awesome.

4th and Long
05-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Won't happen. WTF would we even need him? Ricky "Bong Hit" Williams will never be a Kansas City Chief.

Rausch
05-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Won't happen. WTF would we even need him?

Because TJ went LJ after about 3/4ths the season...

ModSocks
05-20-2011, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to it. Dude is still running strong. Stronger then Thomas Jones as at any point of last season.

RealSNR
05-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Ricky is even older than TJ isn't he? I know he had all that time off, but it wasn't like Jones was getting that many carries earlier in his career

beach tribe
05-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to it. Dude is still running strong. Stronger then Thomas Jones as at any point of last season.
I'm with this. he always seems to play hard, and had a shit ton more left in the tank at the end of last season than TJ.
TJ is done IMO.

okiedokieokoye
05-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Once undrafted rookies are available to be signed, look for us to go after some big power back like John Clay. I wouldn't expect us to bring in an over-the-hill back at this point.

RealSNR
We're just going to run into the same problems that we did with TJ as the season goes on if we sign Ricky.

I know we're trying to find cheap, experienced, backs to spell Charles, but we can't afford to have them break down before every season comes to an end. If we want this done right, we need Clark to open his wallet and find somebody younger.

Isn't Cedric Benson a free agent?

Rausch
Once undrafted rookies are available to be signed, look for us to go after some big power back like John Clay. I wouldn't expect us to bring in an over-the-hill back at this point.

We did last year...

The Franchise
05-20-2011, 11:41 AM
We're just going to run into the same problems that we did with TJ as the season goes on if we sign Ricky.

I know we're trying to find cheap, experienced, backs to spell Charles, but we can't afford to have them break down before every season comes to an end. If we want this done right, we need Clark to open his wallet and find somebody younger.

I should punch you in the face.

milkman
05-20-2011, 11:42 AM

So you keep Jones and work him for half the season, then work Williams for the other half.

I know, it's stupid, but no more stupid than actually relying on Jones.

RealSNR
05-20-2011, 11:44 AM
I should punch you in the face.I also think he's garbage, but he'd be perfect for our needs.

beach tribe
05-20-2011, 11:44 AM
As I've said before, I think this guy will set us at RB for a looong time.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/532434-notre-dame-senior-robert-hughes-overlooked-power-back

He's still an UDFA if I'm not mistaken.

RealSNR
05-20-2011, 11:46 AM
As I've said before, I think this guy will set us at RB for a looong time.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/532434-notre-dame-senior-robert-hughes-overlooked-power-back

He's still an UDFA if I'm not mistaken.Shane Bannan > Robert Hughes /Pioli

Hydrae
05-20-2011, 11:48 AM

We could have the all UT backfield: Ricky, Cedric, Jamaal

beach tribe
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Shane Bannan > Robert Hughes /Pioli
Well, if I were you, I'd go with Pioli's picks over mine, but I still think we can land Hughes as an UDFA.

RealSNR
05-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Well, if I were you, I'd go with Pioli's picks over mine, but I still think we can land Hughes as an UDFA.Can =/= will

beach tribe
05-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Can =/= will

Truthiness

POND_OF_RED
05-20-2011, 11:54 AM
suggesting he had hit on the "right formula" for stay healthy and successful

Sounds like a pretty sweet strain. I'd love to take a hit of it too.

Saul Good
05-20-2011, 11:59 AM
I'd be in favor of the move. Clay as. An UDFA would be great, too.

Frazod
05-20-2011, 12:21 PM
I have no use for Brokie or Smokie.

Chief Roundup
05-20-2011, 12:27 PM
got to have a season before any of this matters

4th and Long
05-20-2011, 12:35 PM
LMAO

Micjones
05-20-2011, 12:45 PM
One day people will stop drinking the Croyle Kool-Aid.

loochy
05-20-2011, 12:55 PM
We could have the all UT backfield: Ricky, Cedric, Jamaal

And a Priest comeback. :thumb:

Bob Dole
05-20-2011, 01:55 PM

How about Picky and Sticky?

RealSNR
05-20-2011, 02:52 PM
I've been saying this before, but I'm convinced that Pioli doesn't do anything about a new RB this offseason. Haley last training camp talked about how satisfied and happy he was with our backfield, which included more guys than just Charles, Jones, McCluster, and Battle.

All four of them will be back next year plus some others like Javarris Williams (he'll get re-signed when the CBA agreement is done). We'll get some UDFAs to also compete for the last one or two spots in the backfield.

I'm thinking that Haley is satisfied with Jones, who will need to play like his early season self more consistently next year. I think that can happen with our improved offense and solid interior offensive line depth. And beyond that, Haley likely trusts his player development and will depend on Battle/Williams far more than he did last season.

Laugh all you want or call me an idiot, but I'll betcha all $10 and a bag of doughnuts that this is the course of action we take. And really, I'm okay with it. It's not like we don't have Jamaal Charles. We do.

beach tribe
05-20-2011, 03:13 PM
I've been saying this before, but I'm convinced that Pioli doesn't do anything about a new RB this offseason. Haley last training camp talked about how satisfied and happy he was with our backfield, which included more guys than just Charles, Jones, McCluster, and Battle.

All four of them will be back next year plus some others like Javarris Williams (he'll get re-signed when the CBA agreement is done). We'll get some UDFAs to also compete for the last one or two spots in the backfield.

I'm thinking that Haley is satisfied with Jones, who will need to play like his early season self more consistently next year. I think that can happen with our improved offense and solid interior offensive line depth. And beyond that, Haley likely trusts his player development and will depend on Battle/Williams far more than he did last season.

Laugh all you want or call me an idiot, but I'll betcha all $10 and a bag of doughnuts that this is the course of action we take. And really, I'm okay with it. It's not like we don't have Jamaal Charles. We do.

Oh, you very well could be right about this. Haley has had nothing but good things to say about our backfield. TJ actually could have 1 more effective year in him if his workload is deferred to later in the season, Jamaal gets more carries, which I'm sure he will, but not enough to rrun him into the ground, and what I really want to see, Battle getting his hands on a lot more handoffs. We need to know exactly what we've got in this guy. Hopefully he can be the nose breaker that we need him to be.

tmax63
05-20-2011, 03:47 PM
IMHO I see Battle getting used alot more than picking up another hammer back be it Williams or whoever when football does happen again unless he's too old by then.

Ugly Duck
05-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Ricky "Bong Hit" Williams will never be a Kansas City Chief.

You forgot the Headline: Kansas City Chiefs running back Bam Morris pleads guilty in federal court to charges he sold marijuana and laundered money

RealSNR
05-20-2011, 04:41 PM
I can tell you that if we DO sign Williams it will only be so Justin Houston has a buddy to go out and smoke with