PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Honest question for Chiefs/Cardinals fans

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Since I moved to "this part of the country" several years ago (much closer to StL than my original home near KC) I've noticed something that TO ME has always seemed weird... and I notice a lot of the same thing on this board. So I ask this looking for a real answer, not being a smartass.

How/why are there so many people who are Cardinal fans when it comes to baseball and Chiefs fans when it comes to football?

Like I said I grew up near KC and the "home teams" were who I grew up rooting for and they're the only teams I have it in me to root for. I would expect the same from people who grow up on the StL side of the state. If you live in the middle of the state I suppose I understand "just picking" but if you're within a couple hours of either city I wonder why you'd root for a team from one city in one sport and another team from the other. I guess I can't assume everyone grew up the same way I did.

But with that said there are plenty of people I know out here who grew up in this area and are Cardinal fans but are just as passionate, if not more, about the Chiefs. That's the thing I guess I don't understand. They had the football Cardinals growing up and they've had the Rams for a while now. It doesn't seem to me that it can really be about rooting for a good team because while the football Cardinals stunk the Chiefs did too. Now the Rams have been to 2 Super-Bowls in the last decade plus a little and won one of them so.... that's better than the Chiefs.

I also understand that the Cardinals have a lot more history than the Royals... but again.... to ME if they aren't my "home team" that doesn't matter. Maybe to a lot of people it does.

So.....? Enlighten me about this very odd behavior in my eyes.

milkman
05-20-2011, 09:34 PM
It's called "bandwagon".

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-20-2011, 09:36 PM
It's called "bandwagon".

Maybe it's as simple as that.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Maybe it's as simple as that.

Apparently it is lol

Great Expectations
05-20-2011, 10:13 PM
It's called "bandwagon".

Agreed, there were a lot more royals fans and less card fans in the '80s.

TrebMaxx
05-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Living right in the middle of the state I am a fan of both the Cards and Royals. Cards are my NL team and Royals in the AL. Same was true when the St. Louis Cardinals NFL team was in St. Louis, but there is no way in hell I will root for the Rams.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Living right in the middle of the state I am a fan of both the Cards and Royals. Cards are my NL team and Royals in the AL. Same was true when the St. Louis Cardinals NFL team was in St. Louis, but there is no way in hell I will root for the Rams.

OK I can understand that especially as a middle state dweller. But why can't you root for the Rams? Is it because they're a transplant team and you were a Chiefs fan first?

Chief Roundup
05-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I grew up a cardinal fan both in baseball and football. When the football cardinals left I was pissed about it. And I switched to the Chiefs. I never did like the Rams and it just wasn't the same to just move in and expect me to like them over the Chiefs. I know a lot of people that have the same or similar feelings in the southern part of Missouri and northern Arkansas.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I grew up a cardinal fan both in baseball and football. When the football cardinals left I was pissed about it. And I switched to the Chiefs. I never did like the Rams and it just wasn't the same to just move in and expect me to like them over the Chiefs. I know a lot of people that have the same or similar feelings in the southern part of Missouri and northern Arkansas.

I guess I can understand that. Was it at all weird for you to switch your football loyalty to KC after the football Cardinals left? Did it take some time to get used to the idea or was it no big deal?

cardken
05-20-2011, 10:33 PM
STL has always and always will be a Baseball town. Once the furthest point West for the National Past time, it garnered a lot of fans. Old and Rich tradition of the Sport.
STL has never really embraced Football. They lost one franchise and has had minimal success(albeit a Super bowl win) with it's replacement. I think towns always pick a predominant sports personality and STL's is Baseball.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-20-2011, 10:36 PM
STL has always and always will be a Baseball town. Once the furthest point West for the National Past time, it garnered a lot of fans. Old and Rich tradition of the Sport.
STL has never really embraced Football. They lost one franchise and has had minimal success(albeit a Super bowl win) with it's replacement. I think towns always pick a predominant sports personality and STL's is Baseball.

Interesting and quite possibly true.

Chief Roundup
05-20-2011, 10:38 PM
I guess I can understand that. Was it at all weird for you to switch your football loyalty to KC after the football Cardinals left? Did it take some time to get used to the idea or was it no big deal?
It took a little time but not too much. The Chiefs were the only "local" team that was on tv every weekend. Not to mention that the 90's Chiefs Defenses would of made a fan out of anyone.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-20-2011, 10:45 PM
In Springfield, folks root for the red teams. I guess being down here, that's okay. Not for me though. While being from Seattle, I love the Mariners, but I'm a Chiefs and Royals fan. I was born near KC. I'm a KC fan. Raised that way.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-20-2011, 10:45 PM
It took a little time but not too much. The Chiefs were the only "local" team that was on tv every weekend. Not to mention that the 90's Chiefs Defenses would of made a fan out of anyone.

Thats true about the 90's Chiefs. They were fun. As long as you think the playoffs are over-rated and it's all about the regular season heh.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-20-2011, 10:48 PM
In Springfield, folks root for the red teams. I guess being down here, that's okay. Not for me though. While being from Seattle, I love the Mariners, but I'm a Chiefs and Royals fan. I was born near KC. I'm a KC fan. Raised that way.

OK... but why do they root for the red teams? I basically know where Springfield is (don't live in Missouri) and I think it's closer to StL?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I grew up in the Ozarks before moving to just north of Columbia.

When I started listening to Cardinal Baseball (KMOX - Jack Buck/Mike Shannon), the Royals didn't exist. My dad was a big Cards fan growing up in Montgomery City and my grandfather had been drafted by the Cards back in 1919. So, I came by it honestly.

Once the Royals came around, I started catching them when I could on the TV and enjoyed watching Freddy and Cookie, Lou, John, Paul and the rest of the cast-offs and the rookies they started playing.

However, before inter-league play, it was easy to root for both since they never played each other when I was a kid.

I became a Chiefs fan because at the time where we lived in Camdenton, we could only get the NBC station (and only occasionally the CBS station out of Jeff City). So, every Sunday, I got to watch the Chiefs play and basically grew up with them. First game I remember watching was in 1966. I still sorta rooted for the Cardinals because they were a Missouri team, but they were NFL and I was an AFL fan.

After the merger, I definitely was a Chiefs fan, but I'd still enjoy watching a Cardinal victory, esp. if it helped the Chiefs playoff chances. After the Cards left for Arizona, I wrote them off and I've never warmed up to the Rams being there.

(Heck, I enjoyed rooting for the Blues and Scouts, the Kings and the Spirit of St. Louis and the Steamers and the Comets. I wouldn't say I was a "fan" of any of the teams, but it's always nice to see a Missouri team win.)

veist
05-20-2011, 10:59 PM
For me growing up we moved around a a bit so local teams changed and my dad was never really a into anything but college sports. Those factors combined such that I didn't really pick up much of a rooting interest in pro sports until later. Came to really be a baseball fan watching the Cards when I lived in St Louis and later came to become a football fan living in KC and watching the Chiefs. Would attribute a lot of it to the fans of both teams being great.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-20-2011, 11:00 PM
I grew up in the Ozarks before moving to just north of Columbia.

When I started listening to Cardinal Baseball (KMOX - Jack Buck/Mike Shannon), the Royals didn't exist. My dad was a big Cards fan growing up in Montgomery City and my grandfather had been drafted by the Cards back in 1919. So, I came by it honestly.

Once the Royals came around, I started catching them when I could on the TV and enjoyed watching Freddy and Cookie, Lou, John, Paul and the rest of the cast-offs and the rookies they started playing.

However, before inter-league play, it was easy to root for both since they never played each other when I was a kid.

I became a Chiefs fan because at the time where we lived in Camdenton, we could only get the NBC station (and only occasionally the CBS station out of Jeff City). So, every Sunday, I got to watch the Chiefs play and basically grew up with them. First game I remember watching was in 1966. I still sorta rooted for the Cardinals because they were a Missouri team, but they were NFL and I was an AFL fan.

After the merger, I definitely was a Chiefs fan, but I'd still enjoy watching a Cardinal victory, esp. if it helped the Chiefs playoff chances. After the Cards left for Arizona, I wrote them off and I've never warmed up to the Rams being there.

(Heck, I enjoyed rooting for the Blues and Scouts, the Kings and the Spirit of St. Louis and the Steamers and the Comets. I wouldn't say I was a "fan" of any of the teams, but it's always nice to see a Missouri team win.)

Good response, thanks.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-20-2011, 11:01 PM
For me growing up we moved around a a bit so local teams changed and my dad was never really a into anything but college sports. Those factors combined such that I didn't really pick up much of a rooting interest in pro sports until later. Came to really be a baseball fan watching the Cards when I lived in St Louis and later came to become a football fan living in KC and watching the Chiefs.

Well that makes sense then.

BigRedChief
05-21-2011, 04:58 AM
I grew up in Springfield, Mo. I would bet real money that 80%+ of the people in that area are St. Louis Cardinal and KC Chiefs fans.

When I was growing up the Royals didn't exist. One of my best memories of childhood is spending my summer nights listening to KMOX and Harry Carey/Jack Buck broadcast the games. My son is a 5th generation Cardinals fan. Think about that.....5 generations of the same family rooting for the same team.

St. louis had a football team but I liked Lenny the Cool, Otis Taylor, Bobby Bell, Lanier etc. I liked the way the played the game. Tough defense, exciting offense.

My teams were set early in life. Until I become worm food I shall cheer no other.

Mi_chief_fan
05-21-2011, 06:12 AM

Well put. BTW, i'm from Mtn. Home originally.

luv
05-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Because I'm a fan of the team, and not the city? Springfield is about the same drive time away from both. I grew up going to Cardinals games. I grew up being taught that there was no worse team than the Cubs. Can't say I ever thought much of the Royals, but I would root for them sine they were the other Missouri team and not a Cardinals rival. Still don't see them as one. How can they be being AL when the Cardinals are NL?

The Chiefs was dad's thing. I would watch football, but not really care much about who won. The media down here always covered the Chiefs, so I heard more about them. I didn't really become a fan until my first game at Arrowhead.

I don't care what you think is "true" or if you all think I'm a bandwagon fan. Doesn't affect me in the least.

WV
05-21-2011, 07:16 AM
I know for me eventhough I don't live anywhere close to MO, I grew up having the local teams shoved down my throat (redskins) by every media outlet and just grew to despise them. I'm more of a casual baseball fan and tended to follow players more than teams when I was young. I still root for the Orioles and recently the Nats, but have followed Larussa since the bash brothers days. Honestly I'm becoming more of a local guy in baseball, but again I'm a casual baseball fan. Football I will always root for the Chiefs.....fuck the Redskins, Ravens, and especially the Steelers.

Groves
05-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Boy growing up in STL.
Boy enjoyed both football/baseball Cardinals.
Boy was becoming man and establishing lifelong allegiances.
Football Cardinals took a hike.
Boy said "screw that" and forever connected with the Chiefs.
Man maintained Chiefs fidelity even when living in Bronco territory.
Man now lives in Springfield.
Man roots Chiefs always, but enjoys baseball when his brother shares season tix.

Mr. Arrowhead
05-21-2011, 09:14 AM
So let me gets this straight, the local sport media in Springfield is more pro cardinals in baseball and pro chiefs in football? If so, that's really strange.
Posted via Mobile Device

Groves
05-21-2011, 09:16 AM
So let me gets this straight, the local sport media in Springfield is more pro cardinals in baseball and pro chiefs in football? If so, that's really strange.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not the right guy to ask. My TV plays a bunch of movies, and football on Sundays, but not much else. I wouldn't know a local sport media if it rear ended my truck. After I made him pay, even.

Marcellus
05-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

You do realize the Cardinals AA team is on Springfield right?

Mr. Arrowhead
05-21-2011, 09:22 AM
You do realize the Cardinals AA team is on Springfield right?

Why are they more pro chiefs then
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
05-21-2011, 09:22 AM
:facepalm: You do realize if you are in a certain age group, there was no football team in STL at the time when one begins to become a true sports fan. There was a time when the Chiefs were the "local" team as far as games being broadcasted are concerned. That's how they gained many a fan in the area.

Predarat
05-21-2011, 09:30 AM
When you grow up being a fan of a team, that stays in your blood or something. So someone growing up in the STL may have grown up a Chiefs fan. They may like the Rams but when you have been a fan of a team your whole life it is tough to say "I am a Rams fan now over the Chiefs just because they moved here". Its like me and the Titans, I moved to Nashville 12 years ago as a football fan. I was born a Royals and Chiefs fan and have been a fan of them since then. Yes I still like the Titans and consider myself a Titans fan as well, but when push comes to shove, Titans vs Chiefs in a playoff game, sorry Titans, its Go Chiefs for me! So I can understand someone growing up in/around the STL area being a Chiefs and Cardinals fan. Also the AL and NL did not play each other in the reg season @15 years ago so it would make sense to be fans of both.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-21-2011, 09:32 AM
When you grow up being a fan of a team, that stays in your blood or something. So someone growing up in the STL may have grown up a Chiefs fan. They may like the Rams but when you have been a fan of a team your whole life it is tough to say "I am a Rams fan now over the Chiefs just because they moved here". Its like me and the Titans, I moved to Nashville 12 years ago as a football fan. I was born a Royals and Chiefs fan and have been a fan of them since then. Yes I still like the Titans and consider myself a Titans fan as well, but when push comes to shove, Titans vs Chiefs in a playoff game, sorry Titans, its Go Chiefs for me!

The Chiefs were the "local team" in the STL area for quite a few years. I don't see what is so difficult for these guys to understand. This question is asked every single year at this time BTW LMAO

Marcellus
05-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Why are they more pro chiefs then
Posted via Mobile Device

I would guess because after the Cards left there was only 1 team in MO for a while.

Then throw in the Cardinals were bad forever and Chiefs were good for a solid 10 years and that's what happens.

Frazod
05-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Grew up in the middle of the state, always liked both teams. While it's probably not possible for the younger generation/certain noxious punks who post on this BB to understand, there was a time when the Royals and Cardinals never played each other, EVER. I'm 45 now, which means I was 21 years old the first time these teams played each other, and it happened to be in the World Series. While that really sucked for me on a personal level, in the end I rooted for the Royals since (a) I was born in Kansas City, and (b) George Brett is, was and will always be my favorite player. So the '85 win was great, but a bit bittersweet. I sure wish they'd reach the series a year apart, but oh well.

Of course, in the intervening years, I've primarily lived in the Chicago area. Being a Cards fan in Chicago is generally a blast. Being a Royals fan in Chicago is generally an embarrassment. People who live in the Kansas City area are surrounded by other Royals fans, which is a built-in support network. I don't have that. As a result, my interest in the Royals under Glass' Low Low Prices! ownership has faded dramatically over the past quarter century. I still won't actively root against them, and I keep a low profile when the Cards and Royals play each other. But the bottom line is if the Cards win, it means something because at the end of the year they might be contenders, and the Royals won't be. That sucks, but it's the cold hard truth.

The eternal butthurt exhibited by many douchebag Royals fans is personally embarrassing to me. For a fanbase that claims to hate White Sox fans so much, they act just like them - endless penis envy for another local team in another league that gets more national attention. I guess being envious of the Cardinals makes more sense than being envious of the fucking Cubs, but at the end of the day the behavior is strikingly and sadly similar.

boogblaster
05-21-2011, 10:03 AM
KC fan for life ..
Both teams ..

Scott Pilgrim
05-21-2011, 10:09 AM
I have always lived in St. Louis so i grew up a cards fan, but my dad has always been a Chiefs fan so i grew up on the Chiefs.

VAChief
05-21-2011, 10:16 AM

I wouldn't call it a switch I liked both the football Cardinals and Chiefs as a kid. I was a Card fan before the Royals were born. The A's were always considered a joke, the Chiefs had fans in Springfield from the very beginning.

VAChief
05-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Grew up in the middle of the state, always liked both teams. While it's probably not possible for the younger generation/certain noxious punks who post on this BB to understand, there was a time when the Royals and Cardinals never played each other, EVER. I'm 45 now, which means I was 21 years old the first time these teams played each other, and it happened to be in the World Series. While that really sucked for me on a personal level, in the end I rooted for the Royals since (a) I was born in Kansas City, and (b) George Brett is, was and will always be my favorite player. So the '85 win was great, but a bit bittersweet. I sure wish they'd reach the series a year apart, but oh well.

Of course, in the intervening years, I've primarily lived in the Chicago area. Being a Cards fan in Chicago is generally a blast. Being a Royals fan in Chicago is generally an embarrassment. People who live in the Kansas City area are surrounded by other Royals fans, which is a built-in support network. I don't have that. As a result, my interest in the Royals under Glass' Low Low Prices! ownership has faded dramatically over the past quarter century. I still won't actively root against them, and I keep a low profile when the Cards and Royals play each other. But the bottom line is if the Cards win, it means something because at the end of the year they might be contenders, and the Royals won't be. That sucks, but it's the cold hard truth.

The eternal butthurt exhibited by many douchebag Royals fans is personally embarrassing to me. For a fanbase that claims to hate White Sox fans so much, they act just like them - endless penis envy for another local team in another league that gets more national attention. I guess being envious of the Cardinals makes more sense than being envious of the ****ing Cubs, but at the end of the day the behavior is strikingly and sadly similar.

:clap:

VAChief
05-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Why? Would you find it strange that the LA media were pro USC in football and pro UCLA in basketball back in the 60's?

Reaper16
05-21-2011, 10:22 AM
The eternal butthurt exhibited by many douchebag Royals fans is personally embarrassing to me. For a fanbase that claims to hate White Sox fans so much, they act just like them - endless penis envy for another local team in another league that gets more national attention. I guess being envious of the Cardinals makes more sense than being envious of the fucking Cubs, but at the end of the day the behavior is strikingly and sadly similar.
You have the reason of butthurt wrong.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-21-2011, 10:24 AM

frazod takes a minigun to this thread.

Reaper16
05-21-2011, 10:25 AM
frazod takes a minigun to this thread.
Sure, he brought the minigun to the thread. Unfortunately, he missed what he was aiming at and wound up hitting the fridge instead.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Sure, he brought the minigun to the thread. Unfortunately, he missed what he was aiming at and wound up hitting the fridge instead.

I can't stress this enough, but this series always means much more to Royals fans than it does to Cardinals fans. I know you won't agree, but it's an extension of the inferiority complex that Kansas City has regarding St. Louis.

Frazod
05-21-2011, 10:33 AM
You have the reason of butthurt wrong.

Yes, I know, some big meanie wearing a Cardinals hat beat you up and took your lunch money every day when you were a child.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Moved to KC area in '81. Became a Chiefs fan soon after. Became a Royals fan in 83.

Reaper16
05-21-2011, 10:40 AM
I can't stress this enough, but this series always means much more to Royals fans than it does to Cardinals fans. I know you won't agree, but it's an extension of the inferiority complex that Kansas City has regarding St. Louis.
I agree with you that it means more to Royals fans. I don't consider it a rivalry, but I can plainly state that the series means more to Royals fans. It has little to do with jealousy or inferiority, though. It has everything to do with being unable to exist as a Royals fan in the state of MO (outside of KC, and even then sometimes) without being chastised for it in public by Cards fans. Frazod's exaggeration, quoted below, is the essence of why the series is more important to Royals fans. Cards fans routinely make Royals fans miserable. It's fucking annoying and its caused an awful lot of Royals fans to actively hate the Cardinals fanbase.

Yes, I know, some big meanie wearing a Cardinals hat beat you up and took your lunch money every day when you were a child.

Frazod
05-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I agree with you that it means more to Royals fans. I don't consider it a rivalry, but I can plainly state that the series means more to Royals fans. It has little to do with jealousy or inferiority, though. It has everything to do with being unable to exist as a Royals fan in the state of MO (outside of KC, and even then sometimes) without being chastised for it in public by Cards fans. Frazod's exaggeration, quoted below, is the essence of why the series is more important to Royals fans. Cards fans routinely make Royals fans miserable. It's fucking annoying and its caused an awful lot of Royals fans to actively hate the Cardinals fanbase.

I routinely make you miserable? AWESOME :rockon:
LMAO

Gonzo
05-21-2011, 10:46 AM
When I lived at Scott AFB , (just outside of St. Louis) there were a lot of Chief fans and Card fans just because STL didn't have a football team at the time.
I'm sure that's changed since they got the Rams now, though. The Bandwagon has many extra seats.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I can't stress this enough, but this series always means much more to Royals fans than it does to Cardinals fans. I know you won't agree, but it's an extension of the inferiority complex that Kansas City has regarding St. Louis.Not this Royals fan. Interleague play has worn out its welcome.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Cards fans like to call it an inferiority complex.

I base my Cardinal dislike on general Cardinal fan douchebaggery.

BWillie
05-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't buy the "live in the middle of the state thing". Grain Valley or Blue Springs is not the middle of the state. It's just an excuse to say I wasn't being a bandwagon fan.

Reaper16
05-21-2011, 11:05 AM
I routinely make you miserable? AWESOME :rockon:
LMAO
Its a generalization. The only time you make me miserable is when you post about Blaine Gabbert.

Marco Polo
05-21-2011, 11:07 AM
I grew up in southeast Iowa and grew up as a fan of the Cardinals. St. Louis didn't have a football team, and I sure as hell wasn't going to root for a Chicago team. Kansas City was a logical choice.

ChiefsCountry
05-21-2011, 11:15 AM
I agree with you that it means more to Royals fans. I don't consider it a rivalry, but I can plainly state that the series means more to Royals fans. It has little to do with jealousy or inferiority, though. It has everything to do with being unable to exist as a Royals fan in the state of MO (outside of KC, and even then sometimes) without being chastised for it in public by Cards fans. Frazod's exaggeration, quoted below, is the essence of why the series is more important to Royals fans. Cards fans routinely make Royals fans miserable. It's ****ing annoying and its caused an awful lot of Royals fans to actively hate the Cardinals fanbase.

This times a thousand. :thumb:

ChiefsCountry
05-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Its same in Mid-Missouri as well.

whoman69
05-21-2011, 11:36 AM
My love for the Cardinals comes from my father who has been a fan since the 30s. I started watching the Chiefs when they had Ed Podolak. I don't really think your question is too hard to figure out. The Cardinals have been around forever. The Chiefs have more of a regional fanbase than what the Royals have.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-21-2011, 11:41 AM

I agree with this and what Reaper said. I HARDLY feel "inferior" to anything StL and for anyone to suggest KC fans do is a perfect example of just why KC fans might just hate StL teams. If anyone is butthurt like frazod said it's the Cardinal fans I know... some of whom STILL can't let 1985 go and still love to talk shit about the Royals to me while they're losing last night. I love how so many Cardinal fans claim these series' with KC mean nothing to them while taking so much pleasure in being pricks when they win. I work with those people every day. If it doesn't matter why do they love to rub it in when StL wins a game against KC then...?

But any fanbase who proclaims themselves the best fans in the league has a bit of arrogance going for them obviously so it's not a surprise.

But I didn't start this thread to get into the usual KC vs. StL pissing match, I was honestly curious about something that's always struck me as strange. Thanks to those who have explained their fandom simply.

tk13
05-21-2011, 11:44 AM
I can buy the idea that the rivalry means more to KC fans... but that's because St. Louis fans all put on an act of aloofness about it. That's kind of their schtick in general. You still can't go to a Royals/Cards game without some Cards fan bringing up Denkinger. I think the series is fun... I don't think they should do away with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-21-2011, 11:47 AM
You still can't go to a Royals/Cards game without some Cards fan bringing up Denkinger.

Yet KC fans are the butthurt ones with an inferiority complex... lol

Reaper16
05-21-2011, 11:50 AM
But I didn't start this thread to get into the usual KC vs. StL pissing match, I was honestly curious about something that's always struck me as strange. Thanks to those who have explained their fandom simply.
I've got no beef with the Cards fans that listened to Cards games on the radio as a kid because that was the big regional team then. Those guys are cool. Those fans typically aren't the insufferable pricks that younger Cards fans by and large are.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-21-2011, 11:55 AM
I've got no beef with the Cards fans that listened to Cards games on the radio as a kid because that was the big regional team then. Those guys are cool. Those fans typically aren't the insufferable pricks that younger Cards fans by and large are.

This is a good point and reminds me I should say I don't find all Cardinals fans to be pricks at all. My best friend is one and very non-prickish. The ones who are though are really good at it heh.

Jenson71
05-21-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm an out-of-state Royals and Chiefs fan (from IA). I just don't care at all about the Cardinals or Rams. I had family from Kansas City when I was growing up, and we went to a lot of games. St. Louis has as much importance to me as Portland.

I know I'm not the subject of this thread, but throwing out another perspective.

whoman69
05-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Agreed, there were a lot more royals fans and less card fans in the '80s.

The last time the Royals had more attendance than the Cardinals was in 1984. The difference was very small. For the decade of the 80's the Cardinals had 2 million more in attendance. Since then the Royals have fallen off to where the attendance is between 1.3-1.8 million this decade. The Cardinals have doubled that attendance. If there were a bandwagon from Royals fans you would expect a drop to the Royals attendance equal to the Cardinals increase. I can't even say that because in that time period baseball overall has grown in attendance by 62%, except the Royals. The Royals peaked in '89 at 2.47 million, figure the Cardinals have beaten every year since the last player strike. They haven't hit 2 million since '91. The Cardinals last failed to reach 3 million fans in 2003.

whoman69
05-21-2011, 12:06 PM

When you're a douchbag to people, they're usually douchbags right back at ya.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2011, 12:13 PM

:spock:

BigRedChief
05-21-2011, 12:22 PM
When I lived at Scott AFB , (just outside of St. Louis) there were a lot of Chief fans and Card fans just because STL didn't have a football team at the time.
I'm sure that's changed since they got the Rams now, though. The Bandwagon has many extra seats.
Posted via Mobile DeviceMyself being a 4th generation fan and my son being a 5th generation Cardinal fan kind of makes the "bandwagon" label an unfair label wouldn't you agree?

Reaper16
05-21-2011, 12:31 PM
:spock:

Gonzo
05-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Myself being a 4th generation fan and my son being a 5th generation Cardinal fan kind of makes the "bandwagon" label an unfair label wouldn't you agree?

I was directing the bandwagon label towards those fans that went from Chiefs to Rams after their SB win.
Not directed towards baseball, whatsoever.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief
05-21-2011, 12:38 PM
I was directing the bandwagon label towards those fans that went from Chiefs to Rams after their SB win.
Not directed towards baseball, whatsoever.
Posted via Mobile DeviceOkay, Were there a lot of them? Wonder if they are back on the bandwagon again?

TrebMaxx
05-21-2011, 12:49 PM
OK I can understand that especially as a middle state dweller. But why can't you root for the Rams? Is it because they're a transplant team and you were a Chiefs fan first?

When the Ram's first moved to STL it seemed that they tried really hard to make CoMo a Ram's market. They started showing Ram's games over the Chiefs and I would have to go find a bar somewhere just to watch my team. :cuss:
Even when the NFL Cardinals where still in STL I was just a casual fan of them compared to my rabid support for the Chiefs. When the Rams started to infringe on my Chiefs it caused me go grow a deep hatred. Fortunately, I do believe that those who determine the local broadcasting of games have figured out that CoMo is Chiefs territory.

Jewish Rabbi
05-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I got my love of baseball from my dad, who grew up in Kirksville. As he always puts it, there were two teams in Missouri, the Cardinals and the A's. The A's were such a big hit in Kansas City that they now play in Oakland.

I grew up in Southwest Iowa and picked the Chiefs at a young age, and haven't turned back. I don't think you'll find those bandwagon fans you're mentioning on this board, the people here seem pretty hardcore about sports. I do agree though, there are tons of casual fans that hop on winning bandwagons and it's annoying as shit. I'm sure I wasn't the only person to see more Chiefs apparel being worn last year than any of the previous 3.

Frazod
05-21-2011, 12:56 PM
I was out at Home Depot just now. I was wearing my 10x World Champion Cardinals hat. Saw a guy wearing a Royals hat. When he saw me, he immediately handed me $5, then curled up in a ball on the floor and began sobbing uncontrollably. I tried to show him my Chiefs wallet, but he didn't seem to notice.

Reaper, are you by any chance in Naperville today?

Reaper16
05-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I was out at Home Depot just now. I was wearing my 10x World Champion Cardinals hat. Saw a guy wearing a Royals hat. When he saw me, he immediately handed me $5, then curled up in a ball on the floor and began sobbing uncontrollably. I tried to show him my Chiefs wallet, but he didn't seem to notice.

Reaper, are you by any chance in Naperville today?
I laughed at this post. But then I stopped laughing when I saw your location and avatar title. Unearned self-importance isn't funny.

Frazod
05-21-2011, 01:00 PM
I laughed at this post. But then I stopped laughing when I saw your location and avatar title. Unearned self-importance isn't funny.

Oh, I changed those a couple of hours ago.

Don't worry, I'm laughing enough for both of us. :D

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Watching the game on the Cards tv network and the Cards announcers have spent the last half inning showing highlights from the '85 WS and whinning. Cards fans aren't butthurt though that's Royals fans.

LMAO

Chief Roundup
05-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Well put. BTW, i'm from Mtn. Home originally.

cool how long since you been back?

milkman
05-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I was born and raised in Leavenworth, Ks, but I spent some St' Loius in the early 60s, and later in teh mid 6os.

I could never get into Cardinals baseball, while I fell in love with the Chiefs from the day they moved into KC.

Later in life, after the Royals came into existence, I started really getting into baseball.

I used to sit on the porch every night and listen to Denny Mattews and Fred White call the games.

Have to say, Jack Buck is, IMO, the most overarted annoucer ever, and he, in large part, is the reason I just couldn't get into the Cards.