View Full Version : Life Got registered for all my classes today

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 08:48 AM
I am super happy about getting all ready for college this fall.
I have been out of school for 23 years and didn't do any studying for my compass test and I don't have to take any classes in math or english that don't count towards my degree.
My major is in teaching. I am going to be a Math teacher.

MOhillbilly
05-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Have fun. Many a good man & woman has been a mathematics professor.

luv
05-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Awesome!

blaise
05-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Join a frat and get drunk and nail some college chicks. Then fail out and start all over.

OnTheWarpath15
05-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Good for you, man.

I went back to school to get my BSED after being out for 18 years. I'm in my final year. Doing my student teaching next spring in a High School Psychology class.

Best of luck to you.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Join a frat and get drunk and nail some college chicks. Then fail out and start all over.

What I need a nail gun for college.....

Simply Red
05-25-2011, 09:01 AM
http://tinyurl.com/27gbcsa

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Good for you, man.

I went back to school to get my BSED after being out for 18 years. I'm in my final year. Doing my student teaching next spring in a High School Psychology class.

Best of luck to you.

I missed getting a scholarship by 2 points.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 09:14 AM
My classes are Intro to Education, Into to K-12 Technology, Algebra I, American History II, and a College Success Orientation. 13 hours but 12 count towards my degree.

loochy
05-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Just don't be the old guy/woman that asks a million stupid questions or complains about every assignment. Almost every class I had in college had a token old person that did that.

blaise
05-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Just don't be the old guy/woman that asks a million stupid questions or complains about every assignment. Almost every class I had in college had a token old person that did that.

Me, too. Always in the front row with fifty questions about things they could research in the text.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 09:22 AM

I am a grandpa so watch the old guy stuff there whipersnapper. :Poke:

I am excited to do this so don't see much complaining in my future. I have met most of the professors. And they tell me they are very accessible if we have questions or need any help.

SuperChief
05-25-2011, 09:45 AM

No joke. "Nontrads" as we call them in my neck of the woods (non traditional students) piss me off with all of their damn questions. If it's about something specific to your situation or your learning style, wait till class is over and then ask.

Brock
05-25-2011, 09:49 AM
What level are you going to teach and how deep into mathematics are you going to have to get to teach it?

loochy
05-25-2011, 09:51 AM
My classes are Intro to Education, Into to K-12 Technology, Algebra I, American History II, and a College Success Orientation. 13 hours but 12 count towards my degree.

LOL @ College Success Orientation - useless crap.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 09:54 AM
What level are you going to teach and how deep into mathematics are you going to have to get to teach it?

Well I am not sure what grade level I am going to teach at for sure. I am leaning towards K-6 or College professor.
Well I tested high enough that if I was going to a different college I could "clep" out of algebra and started on Trig and Calc. But they don't do that here. And it will probably be good for me to start out easier and get a higher GPA and get on the Deans list and get a good scholarship.
Thinking about William Woods University for my graduate program. I am for sure going to take some administrative classes so that if I choose I could be a principal or superintendent.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 09:55 AM
LOL @ College Success Orientation - useless crap.

Yeah but you have to take it if you are a first time, non-traditional, student.

loochy
05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Yeah but you have to take it if you are a first time, non-traditional, student.

Oh, I know you didn't take it by choice. I think it sucks that they make you take something like that that you have to pay for, even if it is only 1 hour.

loochy
05-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Well I am not sure what grade level I am going to teach at for sure. I am leaning towards K-6 or College professor.
Well I tested high enough that if I was going to a different college I could "clep" out of algebra and started on Trig and Calc. But they don't do that here. And it will probably be good for me to start out easier and get a higher GPA and get on the Deans list and get a good scholarship.
Thinking about William Woods University for my graduate program. I am for sure going to take some administrative classes so that if I choose I could be a principal or superintendent.

It'll probably be good to go back and get a complete refresher on the algebra techniques anyhow. I went ahead and retook calculus even though I took it in high school just so I could make sure my foundation was good for Algebra 2, diff eq, and my physics classes. I'm glad I did that.

Simply Red
05-25-2011, 10:01 AM

i'd say go ahead and try to map out what 'specifically' you'll be doing, out of the gate.

Try to at least decide that, relatively quick. You can always bounce around, or get promoted, etc.....

Brock
05-25-2011, 10:04 AM
So you're going all the way through calc, diff, linear alg, etc. Woo hoo!

Coogs
05-25-2011, 10:08 AM

If he picks the K-6 route, that probably won't be necessary.

loochy

But it would be impressive to show off to the kids.

Brock

I don't know, that's what I was wondering about.

Coogs
05-25-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't know, that's what I was wondering about.

Normal K-6 teachers also teach English, Science, Social Studies, etc., along with Math. There are some special math classes that deal with teaching elementary math, but College Algebra is probably about as advanced as you need to be an elementary teacher.

Coogs
05-25-2011, 10:12 AM
But it would be impressive to show off to the kids.

If you have the time and the money, sure.

loochy
05-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Well it probably doesn't matter if it's necessary or not..the degree requires what it requires.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 10:21 AM

That is my plan. I want as many options available to me as I can. I don't want to just get K-6 and then figure out that it is not for me.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Normal K-6 teachers also teach English, Science, Social Studies, etc., along with Math. There are some special math classes that deal with teaching elementary math, but College Algebra is probably about as advanced as you need to be an elementary teacher.

My understanding is that College Algebra or Algebra II is all that is required. They classify it as K-6 but I am more interested in 3rd through 6th grade math or college professor. And according to what I have read and seen so far to be a college professor you still have to have 2 years of teaching at another level.
In talking to the school district down here. I can start substituting this next school year, and they will put me on the tutor list. Which there are requirements for so many hours of in school observation and teaching before you can get your associates, masters or bachelors degree.

Brock
05-25-2011, 10:27 AM
That is my plan. I want as many options available to me as I can. I don't want to just get K-6 and then figure out that it is not for me.

You're going to be working your butt off. Unless you're one of those guys that math is a second language to (I wasn't one of those). :thumb:

Saulbadguy
I had to take intermediate algebra to take college algebra. mathway.com ftw.

tooge
good for you man.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
If you have the time and the money, sure.

That is where the scholarship comes in along with whatever financial aid I can get.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 10:32 AM
You're going to be working your butt off. Unless you're one of those guys that math is a second language to (I wasn't one of those). :thumb:

Well I have been out of high school for 23 years and I missed 1 on the math part of my compass test without studying at all.
And when I see numbers I can just without even trying break them down in multiples and or what they are the square roots of or to. I just do that stuff to keep my mind occupied. Probably a nerd thing to do but that is what I do to clear my mind.
Math is the most simple thing in the world. Numbers don't lie and they don't change.

Coogs
05-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Well it probably doesn't matter if it's necessary or not..the degree requires what it requires.

Exactly! Elementary education is much different than secondary as far as requirements.

Saulbadguy
Math is the most simple thing in the world. Numbers don't lie and they don't change.

That's what sucks about math. There is only one correct answer. You can't bullshit your way through a math class. You have to study your ass off, or cheat your ass off.

loochy
Well I have been out of high school for 23 years and I missed 1 on the math part of my compass test without studying at all.
And when I see numbers I can just without even trying break them down in multiples and or what they are the square roots of or to. I just do that stuff to keep my mind occupied. Probably a nerd thing to do but that is what I do to clear my mind.

This.

It's just a bunch of rules. Learn the rules and it's easy. For some reason people fear math before they even try.

Coogs
05-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Unless it is the 2 or 288 question/answer from a month or so ago! ;)

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 10:38 AM
That's what sucks about math. There is only one correct answer. You can't bullshit your way through a math class. You have to study your ass off, or cheat your ass off.

That is what makes it easy though or at least to me.

Jenson71
05-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Pre-calculus and geometry were very hard for me. I did okay in high school algebra. Statistics was awful. I admire people who are good at math. They are smart cookies.

Good luck. I would be excited about American History II. Is that 1877-Present?

talastan
05-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Good luck Roundup, I'm going back as well this fall. I started an accounting degree 10 years ago, and I'm going back to finish it up finally. Finished my registration stuff last week and I'm super stoked. Good luck to both of us.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Good luck Roundup, I'm going back as well this fall. I started an accounting degree 10 years ago, and I'm going back to finish it up finally. Finished my registration stuff last week and I'm super stoked. Good luck to both of us.

Yup Good luck to you too.

Chief Roundup
05-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Pre-calculus and geometry were very hard for me. I did okay in high school algebra. Statistics was awful. I admire people who are good at math. They are smart cookies.

Good luck. I would be excited about American History II. Is that 1877-Present?

I am not sure yet. I haven't seen my syllabus yet.