PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Barry Bonds will pay college bills for Bryan Stow’s children

Deberg_1990
05-25-2011, 09:17 PM
:clap:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Barry-Bonds-will-pay-college-bills-for-Bryan-Sto?urn=mlb-wp7656

Over the past 20 years, Barry Bonds has been met with large amounts of both praise and criticism for nearly every move he has made.

Well, here's a move that both sides should finally be able to agree on: Bonds has pledged to pay any future college bills for the two grade-school age children of Bryan Stow, the single father and San Francisco Giants fan who was beaten into a coma by two men after attending the opening night game at Dodger Stadium on March 31.

That little heartwarming nugget was revealed by Stow's attorney Thomas Girardi — and first reported by NBC Bay Area — as he announced a lawsuit against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday for allegedly providing inadequate security at the stadium that night.

Girardi said that donations already made by generous fans of the Giants, Dodgers and other teams will be passed onto other charities if their lawsuit is successful. But the hefty gift from Bonds? Well, that means so much to Stow's family that it's the one they definitely plan on keeping.

One of the coolest parts about this donation is that Bonds made it over a month ago when he visited Stow in a Southern California hospital on April 22. No mention was made to the media then and it looks like it would have still been a secret had Girardi not revealed it to the media. Even if you've always been a Bonds hater, there's no way you can say this wasn't done for all the right reasons.

Well played, sir.

Braincase
05-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Meanwhile, at Barry Bond's home, Barry exclaimed during a phone conversation with Thomas Girardi, "You told them I would do WHAT?!?!?!?!?! M***** F*****!!! I AM GOING TO KICK YO ASS!!!!!"

Braincase
05-25-2011, 09:23 PM
But seriously, if Bonds offered to do that, it's pretty cool .

milkman
05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Pledged?

Put some money into a college trust fund, and I'll believe it.

Promises are broken every day.

kysirsoze
05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Even if you've always been a Bonds hater, there's no way you can say this wasn't done for all the right reasons.

Not sure about that, but good for him anyway. I can't imagine how relieving that is to his family.

kysirsoze
05-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Pledged?

Heh. Good point.

Marcellus
05-25-2011, 09:28 PM
I would be pissed if a family meber was beat into a coma at a ballgame but to sue for Inadequate Security?

What stadium could have prevented that from happening? It didn't happen in the concourse did it?

Some shit is not anybodies fault except the assholes involved. How about the people who watched it happen?

kysirsoze
05-25-2011, 09:30 PM
I would be pissed if a family meber was beat into a coma at a ballgame but to sue for Inadequate Security?

What stadium could have prevented that from happening? It didn't happen in the concourse did it?

Some shit is not anybodies fault except the assholes involved. How about the people who watched it happen?

Am I getting things mixed up, or was the fight over fairly quickly? At least the brain damage part was I thought. I seem to remember it was the sucker punch and busting his head on the curb as he fell that did the real damage. No security is gonna stop something like that.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
05-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Scott's Tots!

BIG_DADDY
05-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Pledged?

Whatever. Yea I am sure he really gives a flying **** what you or anyone else believes. Why don't you try helping somebody that really needs it instead of pointing your self-riteous judgemental finger at those that do.

Dante84
05-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Roid Rage?

CrazyPhuD
05-25-2011, 10:24 PM

What are you talking about? Are you sure you're really american? Our society isn't about doing what's right, it's all about getting yours. The reality is the settlement from the suit will be more than they can get from winning against the actual criminals. Even if there's only a 5% chance of winning they'll still settle.

Just Passin' By
05-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Whatever. Yea I am sure he really gives a flying **** what you or anyone else believes. Why don't you try helping somebody that really needs instead of pointing your self-riteous judgemental finger at those that do.

That means Kickstarter projects overall have a 43 percent success rate, and 85 percent of money that is pledged ends up being collected.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/28/kickstarter-53-million/

Furthermore, only 63.6 percent of the money pledged for 2010 has been disbursed, according to the U.N special envoy for Haiti. The Haiti money train tends to take two different tracks. There is the money that was raised and donated shortly after the earthquake. That money has been spent on emergency relief efforts. And then there are billions pledged by foreign nations, most of which may not now be disbursed after all, according to many officials with knowledge of the process.

http://newsone.com/world/newsonestaff2/haiti-quake-anniversary-where-did-the-relief-money-go/

It's not as if Milkman doesn't have a point.

KC_Connection
05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
But he took steroids in the steroids era. The media tells me that makes him a terrible person.

BIG_DADDY
05-25-2011, 10:47 PM
But he took steroids in the steroids era. The media tells me that makes him a terrible person.

Amen brother.

BIG_DADDY
05-25-2011, 10:49 PM
http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/28/kickstarter-53-million/

http://newsone.com/world/newsonestaff2/haiti-quake-anniversary-where-did-the-relief-money-go/

It's not as if Milkman doesn't have a point.

That's what you're running with, really?

CaliforniaChief
Scott's Tots!

LMAO

Rausch
Wow. Pretty impressive...

kysirsoze
05-25-2011, 10:53 PM

How about the fact that Bonds is notorious for being a POS (not just the steroids). This gives him a ton of positive PR when he needs it badly and he doesn't pay anything for a decade.

I hope he's for real, but that remains to be seen. If he really is doing it for the kids and not the image boost, then he probably could give two fucks if he convinces the milkmen of the world.

BigMeatballDave
05-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Never been a fan of Bonds, but this is a heluva gesture.

Mr. Laz
05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
But seriously, if Bonds offered to do that, it's pretty cool .this

listopencil
05-25-2011, 11:31 PM
I've been indifferent towards Bonds for the most part. Occasionally he would appear on TV out here and he always seemed like a douchebag, but you can't really tell. Props to him. This is a an honorable and generous act.

Just Passin' By
05-26-2011, 12:37 AM

Yes, I'm running with the evidence that a lot of people don't follow through on pledges. That was Milkman's point, after all.

Rausch
05-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Yes, I'm running with the evidence that a lot of people don't follow through on pledges. That was Milkman's point, after all.

Depends on if he's bankrupt in 5 years or not...

kysirsoze
05-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Depends on if he's bankrupt in 5 years or not...

Yeah. I wonder if OJ made any such pledges...

(No I'm not saying Bonds is even close to as bad. Settle down.)

HoneyBadger
05-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Scott's Tots!

Exactly what I was thinking!!

Rausch
05-26-2011, 01:45 AM
BTW, uM, if the biggest self-serving-prick on your team just offered to pay for the college education of two complete strangers...you....I mean.

HE'S THE ABSOLUTE WORST EXAMPLE OF MORALITY ON THE TEAM.

Hated by millions, but.....who else extended a hand?

Rausch
05-26-2011, 02:35 AM
There is a MUCH better chance of Bonds honoring this than me ever seeing a single SS payment...

Deberg_1990
05-26-2011, 05:11 PM
How about the fact that Bonds is notorious for being a POS (not just the steroids). This gives him a ton of positive PR when he needs it badly and he doesn't pay anything for a decade.

I hope he's for real, but that remains to be seen. If he really is doing it for the kids and not the image boost, then he probably could give two ****s if he convinces the milkmen of the world.

Did you miss the part where it said he didnt leak this and never told the press when it actually happened a month ago?

He will definately follow through on it now that its public knowledge. If he didnt, he would get absolutely crucified by the media and public.

whoman69
05-26-2011, 05:37 PM

He's not a terrible person because he took steroids. There's plenty of other things which make him an @ssh%le. I'll just hold comment on this one.

kysirsoze
05-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Did you miss the part where it said he didnt leak this and never told the press when it actually happened a month ago?

He will definately follow through on it now that its public knowledge. If he didnt, he would get absolutely crucified by the media and public.

No, I didn't miss that part. To play devil's advocate though, do you think there was a chance in hell this wasn't going to get out?

Deberg_1990
05-26-2011, 06:27 PM
No, I didn't miss that part. To play devil's advocate though, do you think there was a chance in hell this wasn't going to get out?

Probably not. I know we all enjoy creating sports heros and villlians, but i think there are a ton of athletes out there that do good deeds behind the scenes that never get recognized. They do it just because, not for the media attention.

kysirsoze
05-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Probably not. I know we all enjoy creating sports heros and villlians, but i think there are a ton of athletes out there that do good deeds behind the scenes that never get recognized. They do it just because, not for the media attention.

I agree, I'm just saying Bonds has a history of being a shithead so this is a little suspect. Without knowing one way or the other, I'm OK with going with the idea that he did it for the right reasons.

rocknrolla
05-26-2011, 09:10 PM
He is just doing this to help his tarnished image. When I was a doorman a Denver hotel in the 90's, a kid came him to for an autograph and he told the kid "get a job". What a douche bag. The kid was no older than 7. Barry doesn't give a f*** about anyone but Barry Bonds!

kysirsoze
05-26-2011, 09:11 PM
He is just doing this to help his tarnished image. When I was a doorman a Denver hotel in the 90's, a kid came him to for an autograph and he told the kid "get a job". What a douche bag. The kid was no older than 7. Barry doesn't give a f*** about anyone but Barry Bonds!

LMAO

milkman
05-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Whatever. Yea I am sure he really gives a flying **** what you or anyone else believes. Why don't you try helping somebody that really needs it instead of pointing your self-riteous judgemental finger at those that do.

What was I thinking?

How could anyone question the altruism and benevolence of a self absorbed, selfish prick?

Phobia
05-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Yeah. I wonder if OJ made any such pledges...

(No I'm not saying Bonds is even close to as bad. Settle down.)

Wait until the rage kicks in.