PDA

View Full Version : Football Football Players Receive $17,000 Annually in Cash, all within NCAA Rules

Mr. Laz
05-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Football Players Receive $17,000 Annually in Cash, all within NCAA Rules
May 22, 2011 10:52 pm, UTC
By: Flint Harris

http://www.holyturf.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/terrelle-pryor-sad.jpg
Pryor has plenty of money
available to him. There is
no need to sell sacred items.

That’s it. I have had it with the inane and redundant talk about NCAA football student-athletes, specifically football players, not being able pay for a tank of gas or afford a combo meal at Subway. Stop it! Enough is enough. These kids are given ample resources to “survive” during their years on a college campus, and I will prove it to you. I will show you not only the value of a scholarship, but the cash and benefits student-athletes can get all within NCAA rules.

If this is your first time to Holy Turf, welcome. Let me give you some quick background information. I spent nine years working inside athletic departments at Arkansas and Baylor as an academic advisor for student-athletes. I have seen the inner workings of two athletic departments in two major conferences. Let’s get back to the task at hand. I live in Fayetteville, Arkansas, the home of the Razorbacks. In this article, I am going to use Arkansas as my example.

Before we get to the value of a scholarship, let’s start off with the amount of money available to football student-athletes within NCAA rules.

Pell Grant
Many football student-athletes qualify for a Pell Grant based on several factors, but most earn a Pell Grant based on a lack of wealth from their parents. According to collegeboard.com, “The U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information you supply when applying for a Pell Grant. This formula produces a number called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which determines if you are eligible. The grant requires that you: 1. Are an undergraduate student who has not earned a bachelor’s degree. 2. Are a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen. 3. Have a high school diploma or a GED, or demonstrate the ability to benefit from the program”
A full Pell Grant is worth $5,500 a year and never has to be repaid because it is a grant, not a loan. Football players get $5,500 each year to do with what they want.

Clothing Money
If a football player qualifies for a Pell Grant, they also get $500 of clothing allowance each year. My memory fails me, but I am almost certain this money is from the conference. Football players can buy whatever clothes they want as long as they bring back $500 worth of receipts to their Compliance department showing the clothes they bought. Now, many football players will spend this money on new Nike’s, hats, jeans or t–shirts. This money could be spent on buying a nice suit, or a few pairs of khaki pants and some button down shirts, but rarely is that the case.

http://www.holyturf.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/jim-delaney.jpg
Commissioner's like the Big 10's Jim Delaney
talk about full cost scholarships, but remember
that goes to every student-athlete on a full
scholarship, not just football players.

Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund
According to Bylaw 15.01.6.2 in the NCAA Manual, each athletic department can use the student-athlete opportunity fund money for anything but financing salaries, scholarships (though paying for summer school is allowed, but a football player’s scholarship covers summer school), capital improvements, stipends, and outside athletic development. The NCAA gives each school a chunk of money each year…roughly $200,000 to help student-athletes out with whatever needs they may have deemed fit by the senior staff member in the athletic department in charge of the money. This money is not just for football, but the entire athletic department. Regardless, if a football player needs money to pay for gas, more new clothes, or a plane ride home, they can legally get money for that.

Special Assistance Fund
Football players also have access to a special assistance fund too. According to NCAA bylaw 16.12.2, money from the special assistance fund may be requested as additional financial aid (with no obligation to repay such aid) for special financial needs for student-athletes. I know one school used this fund to fly their basketball players home for the Christmas break. Completely within NCAA rules.

Room and Board
Football players typically live on campus with a meal plan at the dining hall during their freshman years. In this case, their scholarship covers all of the cost for their dorm room and meal plan. Most players will live off campus after their freshman year as long as the coach allows it, which is usually determined by how the student-athlete is doing in school. Football players living off campus get a room and board check equal to the amount their university lists in the costs to attend. For Arkansas, it is $4,021 for each fall and spring semester based off of this figure (http://catalogofstudies.uark.edu/2895.php). A total of $8,024 for both semesters. Almost all scholarship football players stay in town for summer school to take care of their academics and workout. Arkansas has 16-week fall and spring semesters. The two summer sessions are a total of 12 weeks. Using that logic, Arkansas football players get 75% (12 weeks instead of 16) of $4,021, which is $3,016.
Here is one non-monetary benefit that may interest readers.

Occasional Meal
NCAA Bylaw 16.11.1.5 allows for a student-athlete or an entire team in a sport to have an occasional meal paid for by a representative of athletics interest, also known as a booster, on infrequent and special occasions. The booster can even provide local transportation as long as the meal is at the booster’s house and not a restaurant. The meal cannot be at a house, but can be catered. The meal can be as lavish as the booster wants to provide. Most schools have a form for boosters to fill out before hosting a student-athlete or team. This is another way to feed student-athletes.

The typical non-freshman Arkansas football player received the cash listed below in 2010-11:
$5,500- Pell Grant
$500- Clothing Fund
$8,024- Fall and Spring Room and Board
$3,016- Summer Room and Board
$17,040- Grand Total

Remember, this excludes any money from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, the Special Assistance Fund, and any occasional meals provided by boosters. Monthly, football players are looking at $1,420 cash in their pocket without having to buy books or pay tuition and fees. Did you have $1,420 of cash every month in college? If football players were to work a job paying a respectable $10 an hour, they would need to work 36 hours a week for 50 weeks to make $1,420 before taxes to make what they get from their football scholarship and other available money sources.

http://www.holyturf.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Mike-Slive-ISM-210x300.jpg
SEC Commissioner Mike Slive recently
said, ""I have long thought that we
should revisit the limitations on the current
scholarship model and perhaps expand it
to cover the full cost of attendance. I look
forward to that discussion."

How much does it cost to live in an apartment in Fayetteville? One of, if not, the nicest apartments on the edge of campus costs $480 per person for a two bedroom apartment. Another nice apartment about a mile from campus costs $350 per person for a two bedroom apartment. If we split the difference at $415 per person, our football players have over $1,000 remaining from their monthly income after paying for rent and remember, they have no bills for tuition, books, or fees. Still think these guys cannot afford a tank of gas, a date, or any other reasonable expenditure for a college student?

Football is a ‘head count’ sport according to the NCAA. This means that football student-athletes are either on a full scholarship or not on any athletic scholarship. There is no middle ground. A full scholarship covers tuition, fees, books, room, and board. We covered the money a football player actually receives. Now, we will look at the added value of a scholarship. At Arkansas a student taking 30 credit hours would pay just under $8,000 as an in-state student for tuition, fees, and books. A non-resident would pay $17,162 for the same. Many football players will also take summer school during both summer sessions. The average expense for an in-state student taking nine summer hours is roughly $2,000. For an out of state student, the cost is closer to $4,500.
Scholarships are renewable each year for up to five years while student-athletes can only compete four seasons. Coaches can choose to not award a scholarship to a returning student-athlete at the end of each year for any reason. For our sake, we will assume our football players will be at school for five years because many redshirt or lose a year to a medical redshirt. In-state Arkansas students get $50,000 in value over five years from their scholarship covering tuition, books, and fees to go along with the roughly $17,000 a year we calculated above. In total, a football scholarship is worth $135,000 to football player at Arkansas from the state of Arkansas. Football players from out of state get roughly $108,000 in value over five years from their scholarship covering tuition, books, and fees in addition to the $17,000 a year listed above for a five year value of roughly $193,000.

I am not sure if I changed your mind on whether or not athletes should get paid, but next time you hear a talking head whining about football players not being able to afford money for a tank of gas or to take a lady out on a date you will know the facts. Most football players at BCS schools have a surplus of cash each month to spend however they choose.

http://www.holyturf.com/2011/05/football-players-receive-17000-annually-in-cash-all-within-ncaa-rules/

loochy
05-30-2011, 08:33 AM
I think they should be able to receive a little bit more than just what it costs for rent, food, and tuition. I think this is NCAA's way of giving them some disposable money since they aren't allowed to have jobs.

At a few thousand dollars per year, they are hardly getting rich or running riot.

I'm fine with this.

DaKCMan AP
05-30-2011, 08:40 AM
:clap:

duncan_idaho
05-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Couple things:

Gotta wonder about this guy's agenda (Flint, not Laz) when he busts out the thinly veiled racist stuff talking about clothing money. "But no, of course these guys would NEVER buy a suit or button-up shirts!"

Getting the full Pell Grant is not easy. For example, when I was in college, I was from a single-parent household that never made more than $42,000 (With another dependent). The biggest Pell Grant I ever received was $800. It's not as simple as "Sign up for it, get $5500."

All students have an "individual limit" that restricts how much they can be awarded, including the Pell Grant. The Pell Grant program is designed to prevent over-awards. The Pell Grant money can't be taken away, but some of the other scholarship might have to be removed if the Pell Grant takes them into an overpayment situation.

I guarantee the individual limit does not allow $17,000 of over-awards to student athletes.

Bugeater
05-30-2011, 09:04 AM
I think they should be able to receive a little bit more than just what it costs for rent, food, and tuition. I think this is NCAA's way of giving them some disposable money since they aren't allowed to have jobs.

At a few thousand dollars per year, they are hardly getting rich or running riot.

I'm fine with this.
Yeah, I fail to see the problem here.

Dave Lane
05-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Laz, the ultimate defender of the big guy. I'm gonna scratch out a check right now to the NCAA and the NFL owners to help out these poor downtrodden organizations that need our help.

Mr. Laz
05-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Laz, the ultimate defender of the big guy. I'm gonna scratch out a check right now to the NCAA and the NFL owners to help out these poor downtrodden organizations that need our help.
not really, but bullshit is bullshit and if they open the door for pay for play then college football will never be the same.

if the player are good enough to make the NFL then they will have all the money they will ever need and living under normal means for a few years in college isn't going to hurt anything.

if the player isn't good enough then he better be learning a trade/degree and using the scholarship he gets from playing a sport will get him more than he would otherwise.

is the NCAA a corrupt pile of crap ... mostly, but this isn't about liking/disliking the NCAA or the NFL owners. It's about what is best for the sport imo.

and imo ....

Pay for play would destroy amateur collegiate sports, especially football.

(and since your statement implies towards the NFL too) the NFL being controlled by the NFLPA will lead to less parity. Less parity is terrible for the smaller market teams. Just like the MLB.

JMO

Bugeater
05-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Gotta agree with Laz...nothing good can come from pay-for-play in college FB. It can only make the system even more corrupt than it already is.

vailpass
05-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Couple things:

Gotta wonder about this guy's agenda (Flint, not Laz) when he busts out the thinly veiled racist stuff talking about clothing money. "But no, of course these guys would NEVER buy a suit or button-up shirts!"

I guarantee the individual limit does not allow $17,000 of over-awards to student athletes.

LMAO

ClevelandBronco
05-30-2011, 01:35 PM
If football players were to work a job paying a respectable $10 an hour, they would need to work 36 hours a week for 50 weeks to make $1,420 before taxes...

Flint Harris should have taken a math course while he was hanging out at those colleges.

36 hours a week x 50 work weeks = 1,800 hours yearly
1800 hours yearly x $10 per hour = $18,000 per year
$18,000 per year ÷ 12 months = $1,500 per month

It's not a massive error (just a really dumb one), but any error at all impacts the veracity of anything else the guy has to say. I'm not going to check his other "facts," but I'm not going to accept them either.

chiefzilla1501
05-30-2011, 02:14 PM
The problem is you have kids getting benefits from boosters, small and large. It's stupid to me that schools are getting punished for something they didn't directly contribute too. We go crazy for free T shirts. I can't judge a kid for not turning down a deeply discounted car and I think it's awfully tough to tell thousands of alumni to stop "boosting". How many of us wouldn't do the same as fans if I meant bringing Peyton to the chiefs?

DaFace
05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't pay attention to this stuff, so I really don't entirely understand the issue here. However, insinuating that lots of people will qualify for Pell grants is a little odd. Not to mention that very little of this has anything to do with football players, specifically.

HoneyBadger
05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
I had several college football players in my college classes. It is ridiculous how often they would miss class, and yet still get good grades.

Yes, some legitimately were good students, but the majority had other people doing all their homework.

College athletes are living the high life.

Dave Lane
05-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Yep 20-30k a year with a ton of luck and working out all the time yep it's the total highlife.

Mr. Laz
05-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Yep 20-30k a year with a ton of luck and working out all the time yep it's the total highlife.
why should it be the high life?

why do you think that college football players should be living like professional football players?

chiefzilla1501
05-30-2011, 03:41 PM
why should it be the high life?

why do you think that college football players should be living like professional football players?

If you watch the fab five 30 for 30. You develop a sympathy for NCAA players. Really tough to see your jersey in stores and nobody somebody is making millions off you and all you get is a few thousand out of it. I think people would be more comforted if the NCAA gave back most of the revenues to the schools. They're commercializing these kids for profit and I'm pretty sure most of that isn't going back into educational advancement.

Bugeater
05-30-2011, 03:56 PM
If you watch the fab five 30 for 30. You develop a sympathy for NCAA players. Really tough to see your jersey in stores and nobody somebody is making millions off you and all you get is a few thousand out of it. I think people would be more comforted if the NCAA gave back most of the revenues to the schools. They're commercializing these kids for profit and I'm pretty sure most of that isn't going back into educational advancement.
Yeah, and then when they get into the NFL the owners will make billions off of them and they will only get a few million out of it. Boo fucking hoo. That's life.

And no, that money isn't all going towards educational advancement, a good chunk of it subsidizes crap sports like women's biathlon and field hockey.

listopencil
05-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Flint Harris should have taken a math course while he was hanging out at those colleges.

36 hours a week x 50 work weeks = 1,800 hours yearly
1800 hours yearly x $10 per hour = $18,000 per year
$18,000 per year ÷ 12 months = $1,500 per month

It's not a massive error (just a really dumb one), but any error at all impacts the veracity of anything else the guy has to say. I'm not going to check his other "facts," but I'm not going to accept them either.

There are 52 weeks in a year.

DaFace
05-30-2011, 05:36 PM

I've found two weeks' vacation is typically assumed in annual salary discussions.

listopencil
05-30-2011, 05:38 PM
I've found two weeks' vacation is typically assumed in annual salary discussions.

You're not making a salary at $10 an hour. You might get one or two paid weeks of vacation a year, which still equals the same yearly pay as if you worked 52 weeks.

Gadzooks
05-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Pfft... I make more than that...

Mr. Laz
05-30-2011, 05:50 PM
i have no problem with investigating and kicking the NCAA in the balls.

pay for play is the discussion and i just don't think it's a good idea.

as soon as the school says "here's some pay ...." the doors will explode with "here's a little bit more pay..."

pretty soon each recruiting class is literally going to go to the highest bidder. The price for the top recruits will continue to escalate every time some crazy ass booster decides that he's not going to let Auburn take away a top QB prospect over Alabama or Texas vs Oklahoma. You know how crazy intense college rivalries get, now think about how crazy it would be if Alums really KNEW they could play madden and buy a victory over their hated college foe?

The KU vs MU game would be decided by which alum base was willing to spend the most money.

just not good

ClevelandBronco
05-30-2011, 06:42 PM

I used 50 weeks because the writer used 50 weeks. Since I'm attacking his math it seems only sporting to start with the same numbers he used when he came up with the wrong answer.

BTW, Listo: If we use 52 weeks his answer is even further off.

listopencil
05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
I used 50 weeks because the writer used 50 weeks. Since I'm attacking his math it seems only sporting to start with the same numbers he used when he came up with the wrong answer.

BTW, Listo: If we use 52 weeks his answer is even further off.

Yup.

chiefzilla1501
05-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Agreed. Not a big fan of pay per play. But definitely not a fan of the NCAA commercializing the game off pretty much slave labor for one. But also... Ow difficult it is to really make boosters stop boosting, and immature kids not accept benefits from boosters willing to pay.
i have no problem with investigating and kicking the NCAA in the balls.

pay for play is the discussion and i just don't think it's a good idea.

as soon as the school says "here's some pay ...." the doors will explode with "here's a little bit more pay..."

pretty soon each recruiting class is literally going to go to the highest bidder. The price for the top recruits will continue to escalate every time some crazy ass booster decides that he's not going to let Auburn take away a top QB prospect over Alabama or Texas vs Oklahoma. You know how crazy intense college rivalries get, now think about how crazy it would be if Alums really KNEW they could play madden and buy a victory over their hated college foe?

The KU vs MU game would be decided by which alum base was willing to spend the most money.

just not good

ragedogg69
05-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Agreed. Not a big fan of pay per play. But definitely not a fan of the NCAA commercializing the game off pretty much slave labor for one. But also... Ow difficult it is to really make boosters stop boosting, and immature kids not accept benefits from boosters willing to pay.

Slave labor? I agree with you but take it easy with the hyperbole.
Sent from my GTablet running CM7 using Tapatalk

Urc Burry
05-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Have a friend on the OU team, and I believe he gets $2,500 a year for clothing... Granted he is the son of a single mom, but its still ridiculous