PDA

View Full Version : Life Would you be concerned?

Mr. Plow
05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
A little back story on this.

A friend of my wife's was going through a semi-messy divorce...lasted roughly 2 years. Of those 2 years, the husband/wife lived together for at least 1 1/2 years. She finally moved out in October of last year and got her own place with her 3 boys (13, 9, 3 years old). Divorce was finalized in January of this year.

The last 5 months have been rough on her with her kids. The oldest is clearly not dealing well with the divorce and is lashing out. Dad sees the kids very little - like 2-3 hours 2 nights a week.

The 13 year old punches not only his 9 year old brother, but his mom. He is cussing in front of her and just generally treats her and his brothers with no respect. The two oldest got into a fight recently while mom was away that resulted in the 9 year old having to get stitches on his foot because he was pushed/thrown into something. He was on crutches for 2-3 weeks because of it.

The mom is afraid to leave the two older boys in the same house alone. So much so that she's asked us to watch the 9 year old this summer when previously they would stay home together.

Fast forward to this past weekend.

Mom tells my wife that on Monday night, the oldest got into a fight with the 9 year old and threw a glass bottle at his head. 9 year old apparently returned the favor hitting the older one - which resulted in the oldest punching him in the face.

Over the weekend, the wife & 3 kids all went to the lake. The 13 year old and one of his friends were catching fish in a net. Once they caught one, they would lay it out on the ground and repeatedly shoot it with a BB gun. Once they got done with that, they put firecrackers into it's mouth and lit them. This apparently happened more than once.

I have my opinions. I'm concerned for him. He seems to be showing a complete lack of respect for anything, or anyone. My wife feels the same. The mom of the kids is kind of taking the "boys will be boys" approach to this.

So....are my wife & I overreacting to this or she not concerned enough?

Antifreeze. Aids Tree. Repost. Gaz.

The Franchise
05-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Therapy.

Bugeater
05-31-2011, 05:06 PM
The kid needs a boot up his ass, preferably by his own father.

Dante84
05-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Therapy, like a year ago man.

bevischief
05-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Therapy.

this.

Bugeater
BTW, why does the father have so little time with the kids?

Dante84

Easy to say, hard to do.

He gets a total of 5 hours per week with his son, and he's gonna spend all of it whooping the kids ass for everything else he's done all week?

Not exactly a great setting for a loving relationship.

ModSocks
That older kid needs an ass beating. Father gone or not, he needs his ass kicked. This whole "I'm bad cuz my daddy left" shit is cop-out. Kid was probably a punk ass before this divorce.

Seen this story too many times. Lemme guess, mom a real softy?

Cry baby ass kids.

ModSocks
05-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Easy to say, hard to do.

He gets a total of 5 hours per week with his son, and he's gonna spend all of it whooping the kids ass for everything else he's done all week?

You're right. The problem started 10 years ago. The kid probably never learned to respect them from an early age. respect is made when the child is young, not when he's already 13 ****ing years old.

WV
05-31-2011, 05:10 PM

This......Obviously the kid needs to be reminded who's in charge.

Mr. Plow
05-31-2011, 05:11 PM

Unfortunately, the father is in worse shape than all of them. Doesn't have a job, bouncing from one friend to live with to the next, bumming money off of anyone that will give him some, and about to lose the only thing that is his.....his van.

Not only that, but since she moved out, he hasn't had the kids for more than a couple hours a week and never overnight. Even though he has the visitation to do so.

Bugeater
05-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Easy to say, hard to do.

That's why I followed-up with the other question. I'm guessing the old man was a POS to begin with otherwise the kid wouldn't be such a fuck-up.

Dante84
05-31-2011, 05:12 PM
You're right. The problem started 10 years ago. The kid probably never learned to respect them from an early age. respect is made when the child is young, not when he's already 13 ****ing years old.

That's kind of a blanket statement, though...

13 is a lot different than 5 or 6... the kid is going through hormonal changes, coupled with a jarring family change. For all we know, the kid was an angel as a youngin'.

He needs therapy for dealing with the change, history aside. What I'm saying is, that his past is moot. The issue that needs dealing with is the recent divorce. (in my cp expert opinion, lol)

ModSocks
05-31-2011, 05:13 PM
IMO, though you may not wanna hear this, it may already be too late. He already thinks he tough shit. You think that's going to get better when he hits is teens?

ROFL

No way. I lived in a group home with teens like him for 3 years. It doesn't get better until they realize there is something more to life then being a dumbass.

WV
Unfortunately, the father is in worse shape than all of them. Doesn't have a job, bouncing from one friend to live with to the next, bumming money off of anyone that will give him some, and about to lose the only thing that is his.....his van.

Not only that, but since she moved out, he hasn't had the kids for more than a couple hours a week and never overnight. Even though he has the visitation to do so.

Tough deal, obviously the kid hasn't had the greatest role models in his parents. Couseling is probably the best bet in this case or perhaps military school. Do they still have that?

Dante84

Well, then there's a whole 'nother bag of worms.

He essentially has no father.

Mr. Plow
05-31-2011, 05:14 PM
That older kid needs an ass beating. Father gone or not, he needs his ass kicked. This whole "I'm bad cuz my daddy left" shit is cop-out. Kid was probably a punk ass before this divorce.

Seen this story too many times. Lemme guess, mom a real softy?

Cry baby ass kids.

You're right. Dad has always tried to make him into the "alpha male." He's always been cocky, always better than everyone else, and essentially a bully to a lot of kids.

ModSocks
05-31-2011, 05:15 PM
That's why I followed-up with the other question. I'm guessing the old man was a POS to begin with otherwise the kid wouldn't be such a ****-up.

There has to be other influences in his life aside from his father. I have to blame the mother.

My dad is King fuck up. Luckily i had people that took me under their wing. The dad is only one adult influence. There has to be more. The dad alone is not responsible for this.

The Franchise
05-31-2011, 05:16 PM
You're right. Dad has always tried to make him into the "alpha male." He's always been cocky, always better than everyone else, and essentially a bully to a lot of kids.

Therapy probably isn't going to help him much. Kid just needs his ass beat by someone bigger and older.

Deberg_1990
05-31-2011, 05:16 PM

Sounds like these kids were handicapped from Birth....

If you really care for that family try and be a true role model for those kids.

Mr. Plow
05-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Sounds like these kids were handicapped from Birth....

If you really care for that family try and be a true role model for those kids.

I've been trying, but the opportunities are few and far between. Maybe I should try inviting him to do some stuff with my oldest.

BigRedChief
05-31-2011, 05:19 PM
The kid needs a boot up his ass, preferably by his own father.You can't scare kids that far gone into submission. It will only get worse.

You should be really worried. Some serious negative stuff taking place inside that young man. Thearpy and be quick about it. He'll fight that also but eventually he will give in and open up about what is causing this type of behaviour.

ModSocks
05-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Therapy probably isn't going to help him much. Kid just needs his ass beat by someone bigger and older.

I had 3 years of therapy. You know what it did? Dick.

It was a reason to get out of school for an hour. I agree, it won't help this kid.

He needs strong, positive role models. As cliche as it may sound. I'm not a complete **** up thanks to a 2-3 people that really wanted to be a part of my life.

IMO, that's what this kid will likely need. No therapist. No meds.

An ass kicking is what we wanna say because it's our gut reaction, but that would just make it even worse.

Mr. Plow
05-31-2011, 05:20 PM
There has to be other influences in his life aside from his father. I have to blame the mother.

My dad is King fuck up. Luckily i had people that took me under their wing. The dad is only one adult influence. There has to be more. The dad alone is not responsible for this.

That is correct. I've always questioned some of their mom's actions, but mainly I never said anything because I know that people differ on parenting and certainly most people don't take kindly to others saying "you're not doing a good job of raising your kids."

The Franchise
05-31-2011, 05:21 PM
I've been trying, but the opportunities are few and far between. Maybe I should try inviting him to do some stuff with my oldest.

Try that.

WV
05-31-2011, 05:23 PM
http://www.militaryschooloptions.com/

Mr. Plow
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Only because nobody has specifically mentioned it, does anyone else see concern in what was essentially torturing and blowing up a live fish? I know it was a fish, but it just seems bad.

Bugeater
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM

The only thing I blame the mother for is allowing what sounds to be a complete tool knock her up three fucking times.

WV
05-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Only because nobody has specifically mentioned it, does anyone else see concern in what was essentially torturing and blowing up a live fish? I know it was a fish, but it just seems bad.

Some people could and will read into it, but to me it's just boys being boys.

**I will admit his tendencies are working against this argument.****

kysirsoze
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM

Definitely. Pleasure in the suffering of animals isn't a good sign. It's hard to tell, though, if it was more him following his friends or his friends following him.

Bugeater
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
The word "sociopath" comes to mind...

ModSocks
05-31-2011, 05:29 PM
The only thing I blame the mother for is allowing what sounds to be a complete tool knock her up three ****ing times.

Too many times the mother is just as much of the problem. At least in the cases I've seen.

Bugeater
05-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Too many times the mother is just as much of the problem. At least in the cases I've seen.
Yep. It boggles my mind why people that apparently have no interest in being parents keep cranking out kids.

ModSocks
05-31-2011, 05:31 PM
The word "sociopath" comes to mind...

This.

I read a book back in HS about sociopaths. A common denominator was torturing small animals etc.

Not that i think this kid will be that....

WV
05-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Yep. It boggles my mind why people that apparently have no interest in being parents keep cranking out kids.

Careful or this will end up in DC! :p

Bugeater
05-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Careful or this will end up in DC! :p
Oh yeah, it's fo da welfare!

kstater
05-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Beat the snot out of him. He starts crying, beat the snot out of him again.

ModSocks
05-31-2011, 05:41 PM
I know i keep saying "me, I, I've" etc in this thread, but by no means am I trying to make this about me. It's just that I've been around ****ed up teens for about 6 years of my life. 3 years living with them, 3 years tutoring them, and 6 years being one.

The only thing I've ever seen work was positive role models.

And I don't mean just anyone. The person has to see something in the kid that makes them want to actually be there. Not just eat lunch with him once a week. I mean be there. Everyday.

When i was working in the group home, there were the kids that made it out good, and those that didn't. The counelors couldn't help them all.

know why? Because the counselors didn't care about all of them. The ones that they cared about. I mean the ones that they really liked. The ones that they showed a particular interest in, were the ones who ended up going off to college and doing something special.

The rest? The ones no one tried to identify with? They couldn't even graduate HS.

Every kid that i could remember that stopped being a dumbass, including myself, the staff had a fond interest in and they made it a point to really spend time with that particular teen.

Over-Head
05-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Shoot teh kid with his bb gun, shove a fire cracker up his ass, light it, then ask if he thought it was funny

sedated
05-31-2011, 07:28 PM
stop being friends with those people and their F'd up kids.

Just Passin' By
05-31-2011, 08:19 PM

If you want to take the kid fishing, go for it. Don't drag your kids into that family's cesspool, though.

Lzen
05-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Good idea. Then u can have your oldest beat his ass. I like the way u think.

Valiant
05-31-2011, 08:57 PM
He needs therapy for the divorce.. But I stuck firecrackers in fish when I was younger also, so I am not sure there is anything there.. But if he is all of a sudden fighting violently with his siblings or others that needs to be address..

I do not think the fish thing would be an issue without the other incidents.. imo..

IrishGal
05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
A little back story on this.

A friend of my wife's was going through a semi-messy divorce...lasted roughly 2 years. Of those 2 years, the husband/wife lived together for at least 1 1/2 years. She finally moved out in October of last year and got her own place with her 3 boys (13, 9, 3 years old). Divorce was finalized in January of this year.

The last 5 months have been rough on her with her kids. The oldest is clearly not dealing well with the divorce and is lashing out. Dad sees the kids very little - like 2-3 hours 2 nights a week.

The 13 year old punches not only his 9 year old brother, but his mom. He is cussing in front of her and just generally treats her and his brothers with no respect. The two oldest got into a fight recently while mom was away that resulted in the 9 year old having to get stitches on his foot because he was pushed/thrown into something. He was on crutches for 2-3 weeks because of it.

The mom is afraid to leave the two older boys in the same house alone. So much so that she's asked us to watch the 9 year old this summer when previously they would stay home together.

Fast forward to this past weekend.

Mom tells my wife that on Monday night, the oldest got into a fight with the 9 year old and threw a glass bottle at his head. 9 year old apparently returned the favor hitting the older one - which resulted in the oldest punching him in the face.

Over the weekend, the wife & 3 kids all went to the lake. The 13 year old and one of his friends were catching fish in a net. Once they caught one, they would lay it out on the ground and repeatedly shoot it with a BB gun. Once they got done with that, they put firecrackers into it's mouth and lit them. This apparently happened more than once.

I have my opinions. I'm concerned for him. He seems to be showing a complete lack of respect for anything, or anyone. My wife feels the same. The mom of the kids is kind of taking the "boys will be boys" approach to this.

So....are my wife & I overreacting to this or she not concerned enough?

Antifreeze. Aids Tree. Repost. Gaz.

Wow! You and your wife are dead on in being concerned. This boy most definitely needs to talk to a counselor, preferably one who specializes in dealing with kids and teens "in crisis". He is in serious need of counseling before things escalate anymore. It would be a really good thing for the 9 year old to go, and mom too. Even if she gets help for the 13 year old (which she needs to do before he ends up very seriously hurting his brother or his mom, or heaven forbid the 3 year old. He is not dealing with his anger well at all. The 9 year old is going to have issues of his own from all of this. A little therapy now will save a ton more of it, and a ton more trouble in the future.

Phobia
05-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Its fish. Some people even gut them and cut their heads off. If he moves to cats dogs, you should be concerned.

BigRock
05-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Any kid will sound like a potential psycho if all you say about him is the bad stuff he does.

Mr. Plow
05-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Its fish. Some people even gut them and cut their heads off. If he moves to cats dogs, you should be concerned.

The fish by itself wasn't necessarily a concern - it was everything together.

Chief Roundup
05-31-2011, 10:07 PM
You damn right there is reason for concerns. They need help. All of them need some help in dealing with all of this. The father needs to be involved in helping his children too. It sounds like the oldest boy is projecting the blame to his mother and brother. In a messy divorce the kids have heard things that they should of heard and this is a direct reflection of the feelings that they have been hearing in the time of the divorce.
They need help but they should try and keep the state out of it at point.

rtmike
05-31-2011, 10:27 PM
I used a magnifying glass on ants or whatever else & even did more harm to a fish removing a hook than what was necessary.
Also would catch fireflys & smear their glow all over us.
Drowned out spiders from our back yard & feed them to the neighbor cats.

There was always something. IMO, the fish thing is no big deal.

I don't know that I'm normal but have never been in prison. My parents divorced around middle school & I found the father figures' always had the biggest influence.

Pitt Gorilla
05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
You're right. Dad has always tried to make him into the "alpha male." He's always been cocky, always better than everyone else, and essentially a bully to a lot of kids.He's a CP poster?!?

Lzen
06-01-2011, 07:56 AM
He's a CP poster?!?

Yeah. Goes by Dane.

Saulbadguy
06-01-2011, 07:56 AM
I'd be concerned if they were my children. If not, I wouldn't care at all.

Sofa King
06-01-2011, 08:10 AM

We used to do that with carp and bullheads all the time as a kid.

luv
06-01-2011, 08:27 AM

You seem to have a thing against mothers. Yours not around? Not do a good job? Do you refer to all women as bitches?

That said, she is completely blinded. Kids wrestling and sucker punching (like in the arm) is boys being boys, not throwing bottles at his brother or throwing his brother into things. Sounds like she needs to grow a backbone.

My brother didn't start getting into trouble until my parents separated the first time. Parents decided they needed to move back in together. Didn't help. My mom was a softy, and my dad did the three strikes and you're out thing (and meant it). Brother is a pathological liar and a thief who thinks the world owes him everything. I, however, turned out pretty normal. Same parents, completely different kids. Whether or not it's anything the parents have done, people sometimes become not-so-good people.

THESE THOUGHTS BY SOMEONE WITHOUT KIDS.

Brock
06-01-2011, 08:31 AM

this

Mr. Plow
06-01-2011, 09:38 AM

For the record on this......I don't hang out with the dad anymore. He has shown his "true colors", so to speak, and I just don't agree with what he has done to his wife, or his kids. I don't want to be around that crap and the crap that got him divorced.

Overall, the mom is a good person. We differ on some parenting issues, but who doesn't. I think she is having a hard time with the divorce, but she doesn't let on because of the issues she is having with her oldest. Obviously, she is more my wife's friend than mine and my wife is trying to help her through the divorce in anyway that she can.

Sofa King
06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
you could always hire an 8th grader to beat the kids' asses.

MOhillbilly
06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Plow are you gettin the info on dad first hand 100% of the time? 2 sides to every coin and all.

ROYC75
06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Concerned ? No way, if Mommy & Daddy doesn't care.

To the rest of the world, Absolutely! The kid has some serious mental issues going on inside to be this evil and disrespectful.

Mr. Plow
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Plow are you gettin the info on dad first hand 100% of the time? 2 sides to every coin and all.

Yes and no.

No, because the mom vents about her frustration that he doesn't have the kids for his visitation. Typical divorced mom venting. She could definitely be over exaggerating the situation.

Yes, because I know first hand that he has no job, he has no real place to live and I know that we have had to watch the youngest a couple times because dad didn't show for visitation. I also know that he hasn't had the kids overnight since October. He had a job for awhile, but as soon as the garnishment for child support came in, he quit.

Honestly, his reaction to this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. He didn't want to get divorced. He wanted to continue cheating and stay married. So, when she finally moved out, he is the type of guy to say "Oh, you want to be a single mother....I'll just show you how much you'll have the kids" in the hopes that she would come running back. When she didn't come back, he realized he liked his freedom....at least that is my perspective. None of it surprised me.

Simplex3
06-01-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm concerned, but not for the kid. I'm concerned about how much it's going to cost us to incarcerate his ass for life, because that's where he's headed.

vailpass
06-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Love, attention, structure, discipline.

MOhillbilly
06-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm concerned, but not for the kid. I'm concerned about how much it's going to cost us to incarcerate his ass for life, because that's where he's headed.

ohhh, calm down.

Ace Gunner
06-01-2011, 10:54 AM
hard to give advice on this, but I'll try..

1st, the kid seeks attn..
2nd, he seeks a way to vent frustration..
3rd, he's 9 which means he's not developed enuff to find a way to deal on his own

it's hard core, some of the behavior. you need to find someone he's close to that can talk with him about this. the bottom line here is somebody needs to deliver the mssg he needs to except his fate & find ways to move on. if not, he'll likely get attn from the police at some point.

MahiMike
06-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I guess the simplest answer is to let the oldest boy live w/his dad.

Dave Lane
06-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Kid needs his ass kicked in the worst way possible. Good news is the countdown is on till he's in prison for life.

tooge
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
would I be concerned if I were you? No. Would I be concerned if I was a dog, cat, or any other pet living in the neighborhood, hell yes. This kid has Jeffrey Dahmer written all over him. Pay some neighbor kid to beat his ass. Maybe you and Laz can get some sort of deal on a two for one

Mr. Plow
06-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Maybe you and Laz can get some sort of deal on a two for one

LMAO

tooge
06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
In all seriousness, if you care enough to do something about it, offer to take the kid on a fishing/camping weekend with you and your family. Nothing likebeing alone in the outdoors with "normal" people to open your eyes to things. If you aren't that commited to it, then it isn't your problem.

Bump
06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
those kids just need some tough love and a foot up their asses. Kids are going to have to deal with it as everyone gets divorced these days, EVERYONE. Unless you got married before 1999, don't think you are an exception, it will happen eventually.

vailpass
06-01-2011, 02:09 PM
those kids just need some tough love and a foot up their asses. Kids are going to have to deal with it as everyone gets divorced these days, EVERYONE. Unless you got married before 1999, don't think you are an exception, it will happen eventually.

Somebody didn't get enough hugs when they were little.

Brock
06-01-2011, 02:12 PM

What changed in the magical year of 1999?

vailpass
06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
What changed in the magical year of 1999?

His dad walked out on his other dad.

tooge
06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Prince sang about 1999, thats what

Brock
06-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Prince sang about 1999, thats what

But he did that in 1982.

ModSocks
06-01-2011, 02:34 PM
You seem to have a thing against mothers. Yours not around? Not do a good job? Do you refer to all women as bitches?

That said, she is completely blinded. Kids wrestling and sucker punching (like in the arm) is boys being boys, not throwing bottles at his brother or throwing his brother into things. Sounds like she needs to grow a backbone.

My brother didn't start getting into trouble until my parents separated the first time. Parents decided they needed to move back in together. Didn't help. My mom was a softy, and my dad did the three strikes and you're out thing (and meant it). Brother is a pathological liar and a thief who thinks the world owes him everything. I, however, turned out pretty normal. Same parents, completely different kids. Whether or not it's anything the parents have done, people sometimes become not-so-good people.

THESE THOUGHTS BY SOMEONE WITHOUT KIDS.

I have nothing against mothers. I didn't have a mother. Not because she left me, but because she died before i could even remember her face.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with the fact that there are a shit load of bad mothers out there. Mothers who let their children walk all over them, refuse to properly discipline them, and sometimes even encourage the child's bad behavior.

I worked and lived with kids like these. Pretty much all the same story. Daddy ain't around and momma is left to raise the kids. Well, in most of the instances that I can remember, the mother might as well have left just like daddy, because they sucked at being mom and even made shit worse.

I'll always remember this one (of many) instance in which i couldn't believe how bad of a parent this woman was. There is a lot to the story, but I'll sum it up quickly.

2 occurances.

1. Daughter & another girl steals 100-something dollars from another student. A Fellow T/A and I caught them, got them to admit to what they did. They hand over some of the money. The rest, (40 bucks or so) they claimed they flushed down the toilet in a panic. We call the parent. Parent arrives, we tell her what happened. Parent tries to deny what happened. Claimed her daughter would never do anything like that and that we were accusing her because she was black. Goes on to make a big scene, ranting and cussing and calling the teachers and T/As racist. We had to have security escort her and her daughter out. Apparently, even though the girl admitted to stealing, she was still not guilty in her mother's eyes and we were all out to get them. uh huh.

2. Daughter was constantly truant. In this school, we worked closely with the homeless shelters. Whenever the children didn't come to school, we had to report it to the shelter. Too many truancies and the family gets kicked out of the shelter. Guess who got kicked out?

Parent shows up to scream and cuss. Guess who's fault it is? Not the child's according to the mother. It was all our fault. We were trying to get them kicked out. Had nothing to do with the fact the mom failed to get her kid to school everyday.

....and this is just a small sample. Like I said, In a lot of instances in which I've seen these ****ed up kids, it's not just the father not being there, it's the mother not putting her foot down and being a good mother.

Instead it's just excuse after excuse made by the mother as to how hard it is to be a single mom and how they can't do it alone.

Bullshit.

I've seen single moms not only do it alone, but do a good job.

Rant over for now.

LOCOChief
06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Boonville.

Skyy God
06-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Does he also wet the bed and start fires?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macdonald_triad

bevischief
06-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Have you kicked his ass yet?