PDA

View Full Version : Life Copper natural gas piping

Silock
06-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Need some advice.

Buying a house built in 1985. It has some copper gas lines, running from from the wall to the dryer, and from the wall to an outside gas grill hookup.

Our home inspector flagged it as a potential risk, but noted that it takes a very long time for the sulfur additive in natural gas to corrode the lines. The seller's inspector noted it, also, but didn't make a big deal out of it.

I called the gas company and spoke to an engineer. He said that it isn't up to code, and was surprised that the copper lines were installed in a new-ish house like that. But he did go on to say that he wouldn't consider it a safety issue, and that it most likely wouldn't be an issue. But, then he went on to say that if we were to re-sell the house, a new buyer would most likely insist on replacing the copper lines.

Seller doesn't want to replace the copper lines (although they have completed a few repairs that were noted on our inspection). Seems like they're passing the buck to me. I mean, it will probably be an issue for us when it comes time to sell the house, so that's just passing off some cost. However, no one has said that it's a really urgent safety issue. I'm not even concerned about the safety of it, but I am concerned about a possible re-sell issue.

What should I do? Have them get an estimate on the cost of replacing it, and then offer to pay half? Make them pay it all? Ignore it and just deal with it later?

allen_kcCard
06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
get an estimate and tell them you want that amount off the price of the house or you are bailing

mikeyis4dcats.
06-01-2011, 02:36 PM
If it is truely just from the valve at the wall to the 2 appliances, this should be a pretty cheap fix. You could possibly use a flexible hose for the grill.

http://www.amazon.com/Solaire-12-Foot-Flexible-Natural-Diameter/dp/B002VLYBDS

For the dryer you should be able to replace it with this
http://www.amazon.com/20-3132-48-D-I-D-Dryer-Flex-Line/dp/B00009W44T

The ideal situation would be to negotiate the cost into the sale price now, then gamble on it on the back end. Your buyer may or may not care.

Brock
06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
You need to replace that. I'd be very curious how that copper is plumbed into the rest of your NG plumbing.

mlyonsd
06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
If the inspector flagged it what will your homeowner insurance company do when you go to buy a policy for the house?

Radar Chief
06-01-2011, 02:41 PM
It’s a buyers market. Get what you want or go somewhere else.

Reaper16
06-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Casually let some meth heads know about it and they'll remove your copper piping later than night at no cost to you.

Radar Chief
06-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Casually let some meth heads know about it and they'll remove your copper piping later than night at no cost to you.

True, but if they find out the house is empty they may try to set up a lab there also.

Stewie
06-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I had a copper line that ran to my grill replaced with black pipe. It was about a 10-foot run and pretty cheap to have done.

Chief Roundup
06-01-2011, 03:23 PM
You need to have all the copper replaced that has natural gas going through it! If you don't you will have problems with the appliances that are connected to the copper. Natural gas will eat the copper and then it will flake off and clog up and ruin the gas valves on all of those appliances. Gas valves are not cheap. Make sure whoever does this work also puts in drip legs so that the trash that is in the lines will have a place to fall to keep future things out of the gas valves. Natural gas is only suppose to be around 3 inches of water column so there isn't much pressure but those traps will save gas valves.

Silock
06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
You need to have all the copper replaced that has natural gas going through it! If you don't you will have problems with the appliances that are connected to the copper. Natural gas will eat the copper and then it will flake off and clog up and ruin the gas valves on all of those appliances. Gas valves are not cheap. Make sure whoever does this work also puts in drip legs so that the trash that is in the lines will have a place to fall to keep future things out of the gas valves. Natural gas is only suppose to be around 3 inches of water column so there isn't much pressure but those traps will save gas valves.

I've been reading that if the sulfur levels are no higher than .3/100 then it's safe. T/F?

Stewie
06-01-2011, 03:29 PM

I guess it depends. The copper I had replaced to my grill was 35 years old and still worked. I just needed to extend the line and copper didn't meet code.

Chief Roundup
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
I've been reading that if the sulfur levels are no higher than .3/100 then it's safe. T/F?

False. It may take some time but it will flake off the inside of the copper and totally clog up a gas valve. I have had to replace many gas valves on gas furnaces because of this and those valves are expensive depending on brand and if it has been discontinued, etc. If you have a 90+ gas furnace those valves can be in the upper $500 just for the valve and then labor and a service call.
I have also had to replace gas valves on the hot water heater, cooking stove, and dryers where I have either rented or for family because of copper being used instead of black pipe and a proper gas flex.

Chief Roundup
06-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I guess it depends. The copper I had replaced to my grill was 35 years old and still worked. I just needed to extend the line and copper didn't meet code.

Well if it was on your grill that was probably not natural gas. Propane does not have the same affect on copper as natural gas does.

MOhillbilly
06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
always always always make sure you bend copper tube the opposite direction of the bend you want & then bend it back.

good times.

Bwana
06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
One way or the other, it needs to be replaced. Gas is nothing to mess around with. BOOM!

Bugeater
06-01-2011, 04:54 PM
It’s a buyers market. Get what you want or go somewhere else.
This. The sellers would be retarted to let a deal fall through over such a minor issue.

Bugeater
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
You need to replace that. I'd be very curious how that copper is plumbed into the rest of your NG plumbing.
This is also a concern, dissimilar metals don't always play well together and will often corrode, which means if you wait long enough you'll have a hell of a time trying to take them back apart, or it could start leaking and you'll get the aforementioned BOOM.

Rooster
06-01-2011, 07:19 PM
It sounds like your code inspector needs to read the mechanical code again. Be it the IAPMO or ICC mechanical code, copper is approved for natural gas usage.

There are a lot of misconceptions in regards to additives used in natural gas. A lot of the old timers see it and freak out. Basically the only reason you do not see it everywhere is the cost of installation compared to black iron.

Do what you want but I would tell the inspector to pound sand.

Silock
06-01-2011, 11:10 PM
He didn't say it wasn't up to code -- he wasn't sure if it was or not. The gas company engineer said it wasn't.

Phobia
06-01-2011, 11:59 PM
My understanding is that copper is fine for natural gas but it's significantly more expensive so why would you do it? If you decide to yank it out, holler at me and we can save you some money. Flex is cheaper, easier, faster, and code.

Silock
06-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Alright, thanks!

notorious
06-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Here is a warning about houses.

If you can SEE sub-par work, just imagine what you can't see.

Beware.

Silock
06-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Of course. But it's not sub-par work.

mlyonsd
06-02-2011, 08:24 AM
He didn't say it wasn't up to code -- he wasn't sure if it was or not. The gas company engineer said it wasn't.
Sounds like a good inspector.

Chief Roundup
06-02-2011, 09:46 AM
It sounds like your code inspector needs to read the mechanical code again. Be it the IAPMO or ICC mechanical code, copper is approved for natural gas usage.

There are a lot of misconceptions in regards to additives used in natural gas. A lot of the old timers see it and freak out. Basically the only reason you do not see it everywhere is the cost of installation compared to black iron.

Do what you want but I would tell the inspector to pound sand.

That is not the case in Arkansas.
I have seen way to many problems with it doing HVAC for a living as well.