PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Dessert Warfare: Round 11, Match 1

Rain Man
06-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Okay, this is it. One apple will survive, and we'll see if brownies can hang on against the suddenly favored hot fudge sundae. Superfly, do or die.

Hydrae
06-02-2011, 11:07 AM
In before....

Rain Man
06-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Apple Pie with Lattice Top Crust and Vanilla Ice Cream (1 Loss) vs. Apple Pie (1 Loss)

Don't melt ice cream on my pie. Gimme plain.

Brownies with vanilla ice cream (no nuts) (1 Loss) vs. Hot fudge sundae (0 Losses)

Tough one, but don't melt ice cream on my brownie. I'm going hot fudge.

Hydrae
06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
I still want hot fudge on my brownie with ice cream.

Amnorix
06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
HOT FUDGE SUNDAE!!!

Rain Man
06-02-2011, 11:23 AM

That could have won the whole thing, I bet.

This whole hot fudge sundae powerhouse thing caught me by surprise. I love 'em, but I didn't think they'd be the final undefeated.

patteeu
06-02-2011, 12:28 PM
I abstained on the apple vs apple contest.

Hot Fudge Sundae

mlyonsd
06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Why lattice top? What difference does that make? I don't get it.

Hydrae
06-02-2011, 12:40 PM

It's all about the a la mode.

DeezNutz
06-02-2011, 12:42 PM
In my mind, the hot fudge sundae is a dark chocolate version from Ghirardelli's, and I'm eating it, looking out at the Golden Gate.

Reaper16
06-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Brownies, motherbitches. You can keep the ice cream.

Gonzo
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brownies, motherbitches. You can keep the ice cream.

He may know beer, music and books but his taste in dessert is that of a 5 year old autistic chimpanzee.

mlyonsd
06-02-2011, 01:09 PM
It's all about the a la mode.In the voting yes I understand. I'm wondering what the difference is between just the pies. Looks? Is that it?

cdcox
06-02-2011, 01:37 PM

My research on the internet seems to reveal that the lattice top is valued for its aesthetic qualities and perceived level of difficulty, thereby encouraging vanity in the pie baker. However, I believe the lattice top shows distinct culinary indecisiveness because a particular bite of pie could have layers of dough ranging from 0 to 2. One of these answers is optimum. Having never seen an fruit pie with two layers of dough and seldom having seen a topless fruit pie, I can only conclude that 1 layer of upper crust is optimum and the correct choice for any sane baker. Hence the solid layer of top crust is superior.

Chief Roundup
06-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Apple Pie with Lattice Top Crust and Vanilla Ice Cream (1 Loss) vs. Apple Pie (1 Loss)

Brownies with vanilla ice cream (no nuts) (1 Loss) vs. Hot fudge sundae (0 Losses)

This. Ice cream should not be on any desert.

mlyonsd
06-02-2011, 01:59 PM
My research on the internet seems to reveal that the lattice top is valued for its aesthetic qualities and perceived level of difficulty, thereby encouraging vanity in the pie baker. However, I believe the lattice top shows distinct culinary indecisiveness because a particular bite of pie could have layers of dough ranging from 0 to 2. One of these answers is optimum. Having never seen an fruit pie with two layers of dough and seldom having seen a topless fruit pie, I can only conclude that 1 layer of upper crust is optimum and the correct choice for any sane baker. Hence the solid layer of top crust is superior.

Do you write tech manuals for a living?

Spot on btw, IMO.

Amnorix
06-02-2011, 02:38 PM
That could have won the whole thing, I bet.

This whole hot fudge sundae powerhouse thing caught me by surprise. I love 'em, but I didn't think they'd be the final undefeated.

Every time I go to Friendly's, I think I'll do something different for ice cream. On occassion I have, such as raspberry topping on black raspberry ice cream, etc.

But 99% of the time, after taking 3 solid minutes of reviewing the options, I go "hell, who am I kidding -- hot fudge sundae, whip cream, no nuts please."

ClevelandBronco
06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
This. Ice cream should not be on any desert.

What do you use it for? Lubricant?

ClevelandBronco
06-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Oh, yeah? Have you ever baked a truly solid top crust layer? That shit inflates like Terrell Owens' ego. Lattice top is all about artful venting. It's design with a purpose.

Hydrae
06-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Every time I go to Friendly's, I think I'll do something different for ice cream. On occassion I have, such as raspberry topping on black raspberry ice cream, etc.

But 99% of the time, after taking 3 solid minutes of reviewing the options, I go "hell, who am I kidding -- hot fudge sundae, whip cream, no nuts please."

Wow, I have not thought of Friendly's in I don't know how many years. Was a highlight of my few years living in Marshfield, Mass though. Too bad they never expanded out of the NE that I know of.

Hydrae
06-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh, yeah? Have you ever baked a truly solid top crust layer? That shit inflates like Terrell Owens' ego. Lattice top is all about artful venting. It's design with a purpose.

That is why you cut shapes into the crust.

http://www.wizardrecipes.com/upload/Apple%20Pie%201.jpg

Reaper16
06-02-2011, 04:52 PM
He may know beer, music and books but his taste in dessert is that of a 5 year old autistic chimpanzee.
All the desserts left are one-note. There isn't much of a substantive difference between them.

Ebolapox
06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
it's a fucking shame that cheesecake isn't around. man, fuck the planet sometimes.

ClevelandBronco
06-02-2011, 05:05 PM
That is why you cut shapes into the crust.

http://www.wizardrecipes.com/upload/Apple%20Pie%201.jpg

That's absolutely lovely. I use little tiny cutters in the exact shape of Martha Stewart's nipples.

cdcox
06-02-2011, 05:12 PM

Not rocket science.

http://www.starhughes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Pie-Vents1.jpg

cdcox
06-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Not rocket science.

http://www.starhughes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Pie-Vents1.jpg

mlyonsd
06-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Oh-oh, apple dessert lovers start in-fighting and it's my fault.

We need to regroup.

Apple anything dessert > chocolate anything dessert.

Gonzo
06-02-2011, 06:03 PM
All the desserts left are one-note. There isn't much of a substantive difference between them.

Yeah, but a plain brownie? I thought your eclectic palate would prefer something a little more complex. I mean, a hot fudge sundae or apple pie with ice cream? There are a few more combinations/options you can go with there.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
06-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Fail.

Zebedee DuBois
06-02-2011, 06:44 PM

It sounds kinda naughty when you say it that way.

crazycoffey
06-02-2011, 10:01 PM

I feel the same way...

Rain Man
06-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Wow. Hot fudge sundae had its hands full with no-nut brownie and ice cream.

The finalists are: APwLTCaVIC and hot fudge sundae.

luv
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Wow. Hot fudge sundae had its hands full with no-nut brownie and ice cream.

The finalists are: APwLTCaVIC and hot fudge sundae.

Will hot fudge sundae have to get beat twice? :p