PDA

View Full Version : Life When do you typically begin packing for a trip?

Bearcat
06-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I've always found it strange when someone says they're packed for a trip that's "only a week away".

To simplify the poll, assume you're going on a 5 day vacation within the US, you've never been there before, and you're flying. You have to leave for the airport at 4pm, and you have the entire day free. When would you start packing?

blaise
06-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't start packing until a day or two before, but a week or so prior I'll make a list of all the things I need to bring. Mostly because I normally travel with my kids, so I have to remember stuff for them.

Reaper16
06-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Day before, usually.

luv
06-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I would start thinking about what I want to take about a week before. As far as actual packing, and in the case of this scenario, I would begin the night before. This way, if I found I needed to either wash something or go buy something, I would have the following day to get it done, finish packing, and get to the airport.

rageeumr
06-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I'll throw a couple of things in a bag the day before. Then I rush and throw more crap in a bag right before I leave. Then I get to where I'm going and go to the store to buy the crap I forgot. Typically underwear and toiletries.

DaKCMan AP
06-06-2011, 11:59 AM
The night before.

vailpass
06-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Whenever my wife decides to do it.

Sofa King
06-06-2011, 12:01 PM
The night before. I don't want to rush myself when i'm trying to get the hell outta there.

cdcox
06-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I voted the day before on the assumption I'd leave in the morning. If I was going to hang around the house until 4:00 I would wait until the morning if the trip.

The Franchise
06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
I voted the day before on the assumption I'd leave in the morning. If I was going to hang around the house until 4:00 I would wait until the morning if the trip.

This.

Bearcat
06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
I would start thinking about what I want to take about a week before. As far as actual packing, and in the case of this scenario, I would begin the night before. This way, if I found I needed to either wash something or go buy something, I would have the following day to get it done, finish packing, and get to the airport.

Interesting... I was going to put a 3+ months and call it the 'luv option'. :p

If I had the entire day free, I'd probably start packing a few hours before, assuming all the laundry is done, then I'd still have a couple hours to run by WalMart or whatever if needed. If I started really early, I'd just end up going through the the suitcase to remind myself what I had already packed, then walking through my place to make sure I have everything at the last minute anyway.

I didn't think about packing for kids though... that would obviously be more involved, and it would be easier to start getting stuff together a day or three in advance.

Fish
06-06-2011, 12:11 PM

I would have thought you packed weeks ahead....

luv
06-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Interesting... I was going to put a 3+ months and call it the 'luv option'. :p

Ha ha. While I do plan things such as hotel reservations, car rental, airline tickets, tickets to any attractions/games/whatever WAY in advance, I don't tend to pack that early.

Whenever I moved, my mom was the one who kept hounding me to pack things and take them over a little at a time beginning months before I was to be out of my apartment. I ended up having her and a friend of mine packing up the rest of my stuff while I was at work the day before I was moving. :)

Rain Man
06-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I tend to do it the night before. If it's international I'll definitely think ahead, though, in terms of any special supplies I might need (e.g., power converter). I'll also think ahead in terms of not wearing clothes that week that I'd like to pack. For example, I have to have cargo pants for the plane, because I put my boarding passes in my side pocket. So I'll have my "travel pants" eyed in the closet and will skip wearing them if I'm within one laundry cycle of leaving.

keg in kc
06-06-2011, 12:25 PM
The night before if it's a morning departure or the morning of if it's in the afternoon.

Just Passin' By
06-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Everything besides the morning essentials gets packed the night before. That way, there's no problem with emergencies coming up or things being forgotten in a last minute hurry.

Bowser
06-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Generally the day of, unless I'm leaving super early.

MOhillbilly
06-06-2011, 12:40 PM
2 WEEKS OUT AND STILL FORGET SHIT.

rocknrolla
06-06-2011, 12:42 PM
The night before if it's a morning departure or the morning of if it's in the afternoon.

Yup.

PunkinDrublic
06-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Night before. I mean how long should it take to throw a pair of cargo shorts, a box of condoms and a few t-shirts into a bag? It's a trip to Thailand not brain surgery.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2011, 12:59 PM
start 2/3 days ahead of time and then do a little bit each day. The morning of you do all the toothbrush etc type stuff that you use daily so you can't pack until the same day.

Bearcat
06-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I tend to do it the night before. If it's international I'll definitely think ahead, though, in terms of any special supplies I might need (e.g., power converter). I'll also think ahead in terms of not wearing clothes that week that I'd like to pack. For example, I have to have cargo pants for the plane, because I put my boarding passes in my side pocket. So I'll have my "travel pants" eyed in the closet and will skip wearing them if I'm within one laundry cycle of leaving.

The first time I traveled international, I started getting stuff together a few days in advance.... I have that stuff in one place now though, so it's much easier.

I think of domestic travel in terms of what I can't buy at WalMart... as long as I remember to grab my phone and wallet, forgetting stuff isn't the end of the world or even that much of a hassle. Of course, forgetting an iPod or something like that can be disappointing, but I'm usually using that stuff up until I leave anyway, so I can't pack it that far in advance.

Bearcat
06-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Night before. I mean how long should it take to throw a pair of cargo shorts, a box of condoms and a few t-shirts into a bag? It's a trip to Thailand not brain surgery.

This guy knows. :thumb:

MahiMike
06-06-2011, 01:06 PM
I'll have mental notes of what to take weeks ahead of time. But physically pack within the week I'm going. Depends on if I drive or fly. Driving is easier. You can start putting stuff in the trunk early or just set it all out in the living room. I tend to over pack.

Alton deFlat
06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
If it's things I know I'm not gonna need, I'll pack them a couple days ahead of time. Most thing though, the day of the trip.

Note: I am kind of anal though. I make a list several days in advance, and check them off.

chasedude
06-06-2011, 01:10 PM

My option too

Rain Man
06-06-2011, 01:14 PM
The first time I traveled international, I started getting stuff together a few days in advance.... I have that stuff in one place now though, so it's much easier.

I think of domestic travel in terms of what I can't buy at WalMart... as long as I remember to grab my phone and wallet, forgetting stuff isn't the end of the world or even that much of a hassle. Of course, forgetting an iPod or something like that can be disappointing, but I'm usually using that stuff up until I leave anyway, so I can't pack it that far in advance.

I forgot socks on one trip. I don't know how I forgot socks. But in a weird coincidence I'd been on another trip the week before and had a spare pair of socks in my computer backpack that I'd forgotten to take out. After having a series of delays on some trips some time back, I started the habit of putting one spare pair of socks and underwear in my (carry on) computer backpack in case I get stranded without my luggage. With that extra pair I was able to struggle through a three-day trip with one sock rinsing that first night.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Generally a couple days. But since my family is coming into town for my wedding this upcoming Saturday and we leave for Jamaica the very next day, we took care of it yesterday. It doesn't take me long to pack. I'm a dude so it's doing the laundry, fold it, pack it, boom I'm ready. But with my fiancee'...wow lol. Women complicate things lol.

BigMeatballDave
06-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Sometime before I leave.

Bearcat
06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I forgot socks on one trip. I don't know how I forgot socks. But in a weird coincidence I'd been on another trip the week before and had a spare pair of socks in my computer backpack that I'd forgotten to take out. After having a series of delays on some trips some time back, I started the habit of putting one spare pair of socks and underwear in my (carry on) computer backpack in case I get stranded without my luggage. With that extra pair I was able to struggle through a three-day trip with one sock rinsing that first night.

Good idea. A hotel in Paris gave my luggage to a couple driving back to Switzerland. They were holding it for the day until my room was ready. They even gave me a tag so I could claim it, and still managed to give it to someone else. So, the only clothes I had was what I had been wearing since I had left the US the night before, including walking about 5 miles (in August, so it was about 80-85) that day. The hotel actually went out and bought me stuff to wear the next day (and gave me a $200 bottle of wine... yeah, it was a nice hotel), so at least I had a change of socks and boxers.

If it's things I know I'm not gonna need, I'll pack them a couple days ahead of time. Most thing though, the day of the trip.

Note: I am kind of anal though. I make a list several days in advance, and check them off.

I'm pretty anal about it, too, as far as walking through my place thinking about what I need to take, but I figure I'll be anal at the last minute regardless of how anal I am for the days leading up to it, so I just save the OCD for the couple hours before I leave.

CoMoChief
06-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Usually the night before, around the time I go to bed.

I pack light....even for a guy. Usually it takes me 20min or so.

However if it's a long trip, packing isn't the most stressful thing, its the running around, doing errands, cleaning up the pad before leaving is what sucks.

mnchiefsguy
06-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Wife and kids are going to MN tomorrow to see my in-laws. She is packing this afternoon. We usually pack the day before for most trips.

luv
06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Generally a couple days. But since my family is coming into town for my wedding this upcoming Saturday and we leave for Jamaica the very next day, we took care of it yesterday. It doesn't take me long to pack. I'm a dude so it's doing the laundry, fold it, pack it, boom I'm ready. But with my fiancee'...wow lol. Women complicate things lol.

Jamaica? Sh'ell have to have a bathing suit for each day, casual wear for each day, dress wear for anything requiring it for each thing you do that requires it, sandals, heels, tennis shoes, accessories, hair accessories, make-up, perfume, a little something special for each night.....

Rain Man
06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Sometime before I leave.

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way. I got to Paris and went to my hotel and said, "Okay, now to start packing..." What a mental error.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Jamaica? Sh'ell have to have a bathing suit for each day, casual wear for each day, dress wear for anything requiring it for each thing you do that requires it, sandals, heels, tennis shoes, accessories, hair accessories, make-up, perfume, a little something special for each night.....

Exactly. You nailed it. You must be a girl lol.

Bearcat
06-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Sometime before I leave.

I have found the TSA definitely appreciates it when you've taken the time to put all of your stuff in a suitcase or bag.

Bearcat
06-06-2011, 01:37 PM

LMAO

If I ever took that much stuff somewhere, I'd be moving there. Even then, there's no reason to spend a week packing... how long does it take a woman to grab everything out of the closet? ;)

RJ
06-06-2011, 01:38 PM
My wife does all the packing. I don't know when she starts. It just happens.

Chiefs Pantalones
LMAO

If I ever took that much stuff somewhere, I'd be moving there. Even then, there's no reason to spend a week packing... how long does it take a woman to grab everything out of the closet? ;)

lol don't ask. haha

Fire Me Boy!
Two things - if it were up to me, I'd pack a few hours before.

However, I don't pack. Even when it's just me going. My wife doesn't like it when I wait until the morning I go on business, so invariably she packs the day before I leave. I don't know why she insists on it, I just don't argue any more.

Rain Man
06-06-2011, 01:40 PM
If you're in cold weather and you're traveling someplace warm, could you simply put on all of your clothes for the trip to the airport and avoid both taking a coat AND carrying luggage? I may have to try this at some point.

JD10367
06-06-2011, 01:59 PM

This. I might make a list a week early, with items both general to any trip (iPod and charger, cellphone and charger) and specific (say, for a Caribbean cruise, suntan lotion, disposable rain ponchos). But I don't start packing until the night before. I open two bags: a carry-on (for all the important documents, electronics, and anything I need for the airplane) and the suitcase (clothes, shoes, toiletries).

Then again, I'm a guy. Who doesn't own any nice clothes. So my packing amounts to throwing in jeans or shorts, t-shirts, maybe a few dressy dinner shirts and a nice pair of slacks, shoes, socks and underwear, and I'm done. I'd be willing to bet that more women than men pack a week early; they usually have more clothes and thus can actually select outfits, not to mention they have so many clothes they can pack whole outfits and still have stuff to wear for the week before they leave.

luv
06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
LMAO

I'm not the typical woman, so I'm not sure. If I forget make-up, no biggy, and I didn't even take a swimsuit to Florida when I went. Hair straightener, flip-flops, nicer sandals, and tennis shoes are the only shoes I take, and I wear flip flops on the plane (easier to take off and put on when entering).

Everything I take goes into my checked suitcase. Generally, the only thing I carry on with me is a change of clothes, my billfold, my ticket, cell phone, mp3 player (don't have an ipod), a pen or pencil, and a crossword puzzle book.

vailpass
06-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Wha? Jamaica is a 3rd world stop over for cheap vacations. Clean underwear and comfy shoes to dodge the panhandlers, weed pushers and junk salesman and you are good to go.

Fritz88
06-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I carry lots of photography gear with me so usually I pack 4-7 days in advance especially international trips.

For work and business trips - 2-3 day trips - I do the day before.

vailpass
06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I carry lots of photography gear with me so usually I pack 4-7 days in advance especially international trips.

For work and business trips - 2-3 day trips - I do the day before.

Any particular difficulties getting through TSA with that equipment or do you check?

Great Expectations
06-06-2011, 03:44 PM
2 WEEKS OUT AND STILL FORGET SHIT.

This is probably because you will need some of the things you packed in teh 2 weeks leading up to your departure. You take it out of the bag and forget to put it back in during your drunken stupor.

RNR
06-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Less than an hour before~

Predarat
06-06-2011, 04:13 PM
The day of if its just me, sometimes the day before.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I left Friday for a weekend trip and came back today. I packed at 2:30pm Friday and left the house at 3pm. How the hell long does it take?

ClevelandBronco
06-06-2011, 04:20 PM
I mean to begin a week prior. I end up packing the day I leave. Maybe the night before if I'm leaving very early, but even then it's usually late the night before.

Zebedee DuBois
06-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Whatever the time period is between when my wife starts packing and we actually leave - I pack in the last 10% of that time.

Fritz88
06-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Any particular difficulties getting through TSA with that equipment or do you check?

Not really. I have always been 'randomly' selected because
I am an Arab. So I am used to it.

Bwana
06-06-2011, 04:43 PM
When I go to Belize, I start 2 days in advance, so I don't foget anything. For a business trip, the night before.