PDA

View Full Version : Football Eight game seson?

Fat Elvis
06-06-2011, 10:30 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-making-plans-for-season-as-short-as-eight-games-060611?GT1=39002

NFL preps for possible 8-game season

Updated Jun 6, 2011 11:43 PM ET

Despite recent developments in the labor battle that are seen as positive by some, the NFL is planning for a regular season as short as eight games, the Sports Business Journal reported Monday.

The reported plan essentially means that in order to have a 2011 season a new collective bargaining agreement would need to be reached no later than early November.

Under the reported plan, the eight-game season would start in late November and culminate with the Super Bowl in Indianapolis Feb. 12. The NFL has previously cleared the way for the Super Bowl to be played as late as Feb. 12.

The league is looking to give teams five weeks before the season to sign free agents, hold training camps, and possibly play preseason games.

According to NBC Sports' ProFootballTalk, the NFL has said it needs at minimum three weeks between a deal and the start of the season, making early November the latest possible date for a labor agreement.

Lawyers for the NFL owners and players appeared before a federal appeals court Friday to argue the league's appeal of a ruling that invalidated the lockout.

The court urged the sides to find a solution to the labor dispute, with one judge saying neither side will like the eventual ruling. The court is expected to take weeks to decide the appeal.

The hearing followed three days of talks in Chicago that the two sides set up on their own without lawyers present.

Bugeater
06-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Fuck you guys. Get the fucking season started on time or I'll find something else to do on Sundays.

KurtCobain
06-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Fuck you guys. Get the fucking season started on time or I'll find something else to do on Sundays.

Until late November, right?

whoman69
06-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Seson, is that French?

listopencil
06-06-2011, 10:35 PM
That sucks, but it does give a fairly solid date as to when the season would just be cancelled if necessary.

listopencil
06-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Seson, is that French?

Yes. French as in only half as good as it should be and you only get it after dealing with a lot of stupid shit.

Bugeater
06-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Until late November, right?
Fuck an 8 game season, that isn't worth my time. I'm thinking the point is moot anyway, I still refuse to believe they'll let something like that happen.

FAX
06-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Might as well just have a playoff for all the teams.

FAX

RippedmyFlesh
06-06-2011, 10:52 PM
The court urged the sides to find a solution to the labor dispute, with one judge saying neither side will like the eventual ruling

The owners and players are being naive if they don't think judges could make things financially worse for both just because they can.

FAX
06-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I wonder ...

Can the courts somehow force them to start the season and play the games? I mean, think of all the people who have DirectTV and Sunday Ticket and all.

FAX

verbaljitsu
06-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Think how bad the chargers would be in an 8 game season. They don't even start trying until week 7.

Jonathan Mayo
06-06-2011, 11:35 PM
That sucks, but it does give a fairly solid date as to when the season would just be cancelled if necessary.

I HOPE YOUR FAMILY BURNS, DONKEY TRASH.

listopencil
06-06-2011, 11:43 PM
I HOPE YOUR FAMILY BURNS, DONKEY TRASH.

Oh look. Somebody left the lid off the trash can again.

RippedmyFlesh
06-06-2011, 11:54 PM
I wonder ...

Can the courts somehow force them to start the season and play the games? I mean, think of all the people who have DirectTV and Sunday Ticket and all.

FAX

Wouldn't that be great?
"You are going to play and X # of $ is going to an escrow account that will be dispersed up on an agreement.....
I can dream............

CrazyPhuD
06-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Is it too late to put a bet in vegas on the chiefs to lose less than 8 games?

rocknrolla
06-07-2011, 12:12 AM

What the F*** is wrong with you????????????????

CrazyPhuD
06-07-2011, 12:26 AM

Uhhhh...he's a bronco's fan...how much time you got?

FAX
06-07-2011, 12:28 AM

We need to be patient with Mr. listopencil. He's going through a rough time right now on account of the fact that the company he works for replaced him with Mr. listopen.

FAX

-King-
06-07-2011, 03:20 AM
I wonder ...

FAX

If they side with the players, the lockout will be off and the season will go on as normal. But I don't know what rules they'd use unless they went back to 2010 CBA rules.

FAX
06-07-2011, 03:32 AM
If they side with the players, the lockout will be off and the season will go on as normal. But I don't know what rules they'd use unless they went back to 2010 CBA rules.

Thanks, Mr. -King-. That makes sense.

But, even if the Eighth Circuit rules as you say, won't the owners just appeal? It seems as though each side could continue the appeals process almost indefinitely.

Unless, of course, somewhere along the line a court simply forces both the owners and the players to start the season by holding the lot of them in contempt. Or, maybe Obama could issue an Executive Order or the Legislative Branch could pass some emergency legislation allowing the Justice Department to seize the NFL's assets including the NFL Network and all the owners' stuff and the stadiums and the coaches and the uniforms and all the balls and the players and the players' families then the FBI could cart them all off to Gitmo and waterboard their asses night and day until they come to their senses. After all, without football, Americans might start paying attention to other stuff ... like, say ... our political system.

FAX

06-07-2011, 05:06 AM
NFL to the fans. we love your money. thanks

Over-Head
06-07-2011, 05:34 AM
**** you guys. Get the ****ing season started on time or I'll find something else to do on Sundays.

:Poke: CFL starts next week

Lzen
06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Think how bad the chargers would be in an 8 game season. They don't even start trying until week 7.

:LOL:

Hays
06-07-2011, 09:24 AM
I rather them cancel for the whole year. This makes it sound like they are gearing up for 8 games and thats what they want to prove their point to the players.

Hammock Parties
06-07-2011, 09:26 AM
We could really feed the ball to Charles if we were only playing 8 games!

bevischief
06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Seson, is that French?

LMAO

talastan
06-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Wow if that does happen our Chiefs are screwed probably ending up getting one of the toughest schedules since most of the "tough" part of our current schedule is in the last eight weeks. :eek:

booyaf2
06-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Wow if that does happen our Chiefs are screwed probably ending up getting one of the toughest schedules since most of the "tough" part of our current schedule is in the last eight weeks. :eek:

The schedule would have to be somehow revamped to include all division games. Or so I would think.

Rain Man
06-07-2011, 10:16 AM
We could really feed the ball to Charles if we were only playing 8 games!

I was just thinking the same thing. He'd have fresh legs going into the Super Bowl even if he got 25 touches a game. And with 25 touches a game he'd still end up at 1,200+ yards if he kept the same yards per carry.

Chief Roundup
06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
So if it was only an 8 game season I would imagine that teams would only play in thier own divisions.

Mr. Laz
06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Is there any real source for this article or is it speculation about what could happen?

Amnorix
06-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Fuck an 8 game season, that isn't worth my time. I'm thinking the point is moot anyway, I still refuse to believe they'll let something like that happen.

You will watch those eight games, and you know it. :p

Amnorix
06-07-2011, 10:36 AM
The schedule would have to be somehow revamped to include all division games. Or so I would think.

Yeah.

The 3 divisional opponents, plus one in each of the other divisions of your conference, plus two in the NFC, would make sense to me.

ModSocks
06-07-2011, 10:38 AM
It'd only be fitting that an 8 game season is the season we win the SB.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Teams would have to barn storm and show game through the end.

Would be interesting.

Better than nothin....bastards.

Mr. Laz
06-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah.

The 3 divisional opponents, plus one in each of the other divisions of your conference, plus two in the NFC, would make sense to me.
wouldn't they drop the AFC vs NFC in a shortened season?

keep the super bowl as the only inter-conference match up

Titty Meat
06-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Does this mean we won't have to play the whole ridiculous schedule the year after? If so I might be on board as it will be our only chance to make the playoffs again.

talastan
06-07-2011, 11:28 AM
The last eight weeks of the currrent Chiefs schedule listed below. I'd imagine that they'd drop one of the donkey games and move Sandy Eggo in its place. This would be a nightmare of a schedule for our young guys. Although we'd defintely know where we stood with the best of the best after eight weeks like this:

1.Broncos or Chargers
2.at Patriots
3.Steelers
4.at Bears
5.at Jets
6.Packers
7.Raiders
8.at Broncos or Chargers

Bump
06-07-2011, 11:28 AM
just do a march madness type tourney for all the teams if that's the case

chiefqueen
06-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I have a feeling with an 8-game season KC would wave "buh-bye" to its Sunday and Monday night games.

Rain Man
06-07-2011, 11:31 AM

That'd be kind of fun. You could arrange a dynamic schedule with each team's next opponent based on who they've beaten or lost to so far, and that would end with each team being ranked 1 to 32.

The biggest challenge, though, would be getting the stadiums scheduled and tickets sold, so it would never happen.

Mr. Laz
06-07-2011, 11:34 AM
that would be cool

they could just play the divisional games and then get straight to an expanded playoff system as well.

Fat Elvis
06-07-2011, 12:24 PM
The last eight weeks of the currrent Chiefs schedule listed below. I'd imagine that they'd drop one of the donkey games and move Sandy Eggo in its place. This would be a nightmare of a schedule for our young guys. Although we'd defintely know where we stood with the best of the best after eight weeks like this:

1.Broncos or Chargers
2.at Patriots
3.Steelers
4.at Bears
5.at Jets
6.Packers
7.Raiders
8.at Broncos or Chargers

Hello, Mr. Luck.

milkman
06-07-2011, 12:28 PM

1.Broncos or Chargers
2.at Patriots
3.Steelers
4.at Bears
5.at Jets
6.Packers
7.Raiders
8.at Broncos or Chargers

Just play 6 division games, and 2 conference games.

For the Chiefs, since they won the division, this would mean 2 games each against the Donkeys, Raiders and Chargers, and games against the Pats in New England and Steelers at home.

patteeu
06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I rather them cancel for the whole year. This makes it sound like they are gearing up for 8 games and thats what they want to prove their point to the players.

It sounds to me like it's intended to scare players into thinking about the possibility of making due with half a season's pay checks.

patteeu
06-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Just play 6 division games, and 2 conference games.

For the Chiefs, since they won the division, this would mean 2 games each against the Donkeys, Raiders and Chargers, and games against the Pats in New England and Steelers at home.

This makes the most sense to me.

FAX
06-07-2011, 12:38 PM
They took the "a" out of our season already. What's next, the "n"? I don't want to watch a seso.

FAX

milkman
06-07-2011, 12:40 PM
They took the "a" out of our season already. What's next, the "n"? I don't want to watch a seso.

FAX

Just wait till they also take out the "e' and the "o".

You'll be watching the ss.

Over-Head
06-07-2011, 12:53 PM
It sounds to me like it's intended to scare players into thinking about the possibility of making due with half a season's pay checks.
Which quite a few of them obviously CANT, they way they talk and get on about it.

talastan
06-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Just wait till they also take out the "e' and the "o".

You'll be watching the ss.

I knew Hitler was involved in the labor dispute somehow!! ;)

listopencil
06-07-2011, 02:07 PM

I'm already tired of this mess. I'd like to have a date I can look to as a marker, as in "if they don't get anything done by this points they move on."

By the way I read an article saying the the NFL would just play the last eight games as scheduled.

salame
06-07-2011, 02:36 PM

this made me lulz

whoman69
06-07-2011, 02:59 PM
If they just run the schedule as is it would be totally unfair. On the Chiefs schedule would be five playoff teams from last year while the Raiders would play only one. A shortened schedule would have to be rewritten.

Brock
06-07-2011, 03:03 PM
A shortened schedule would have to be rewritten.

No shit?

talastan
06-07-2011, 03:05 PM
If they just run the schedule as is it would be totally unfair. On the Chiefs schedule would be five playoff teams from last year while the Raiders would play only one. A shortened schedule would have to be rewritten.

Since when has the NFL been concerned about unfair with any team not from NYC?

listopencil
06-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm not seeing anything concrete about how the opponents would be set up for an eight game season. All I can find is a Mike Klis article that says this:

SportsBusiness Journal is reporting (https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/06/06/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-season.aspx) that among the NFL’s contingency plans for a prolonged work stoppage is an eight-game schedule for the 2011 season. I do not believe the lockout will last this long. I can’t see the players holding strong past the first week of September.

But, for kicks, let’s say the eight-gamer occurs. If so, the Broncos would wind up playing two of their eight games against the defending AFC West-champion Kansas City Chiefs (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/kansas-city-chiefs/) and no games against their rival Oakland Raiders

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/06/06/broncos-8-game-schedule-would-mean-no-raiders/7610/

But the article he is referring to, SportsBusiness Journal is reporting (https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/06/06/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-season.aspx) , requires registration and a fee to read. That doesn't mean the article he linked actually has any info from the NFL, it could still be his interpretation of the situation. Take it for what it's worth.

listopencil
06-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Oh yay, 10k posts. Only took me 10 years to do it.

Los Pollos Hermanos
06-07-2011, 05:08 PM
I won't watch an 8 game season.

milkman
06-07-2011, 05:10 PM

Nothing to be ashamed of.

We've always known that Donkey fan is slow.

listopencil
06-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Nothing to be ashamed of.

We've always known that Donkey fan is slow.

Well a lot of times you already posted what I was going to post so that reduces my count, but I make it up by giving you shit for no real reason.

milkman
06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Well a lot of times you already posted what I was going to post so that reduces my count, but I make it up by giving you shit for no real reason.

Please.

I can't handle more shit.

I'm full of it already.

MahiMike
06-07-2011, 05:43 PM
so 8 wins is looking really good now...

Psyko Tek
06-07-2011, 07:32 PM
So if it was only an 8 game season I would imagine that teams would only play in thier own divisions.

give us 2 times raiders, donks, and chargers we are in the playoffs

chasedude
06-07-2011, 07:34 PM
FFS, just end this damn lockout already.

Ace Gunner
06-07-2011, 07:50 PM
the cool thing is the NFL is a corporation made up of franchises. the not cool thing is they're ceasing all human product sales until further notice. the cool thing is we can pressure the corporation to give us that product again while the corporation figures a way to integrate it's human resource product sales again. the not so cool thing is too few ppl are pressuring the corporation into cooperating, but instead sit on their lazy asses expecting the gov't to make the corporation produce the human resource product again

Mr. Laz
06-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I won't watch an 8 game season.lies!

Reerun_KC
06-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Please.

I can't handle more shit.

I'm full of it already.

LMAO Lots of truth to this post. :p

Bugeater
06-07-2011, 08:00 PM
You will watch those eight games, and you know it. :p
I know it's easy to say I won't, but I'm going to be pretty freaking pissed if they don't get the season started on time.

KurtCobain
06-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm with you, Bug. I'll throw a fit.

But I'll damn sure watch a 3 game season or what the fuck ever I can get

Hammock Parties
06-07-2011, 08:27 PM
But I'll damn sure watch a 3 game season or what the fuck ever I can get

Wow, 50 carries a game for Charles!

Over-Head
06-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Welcome to the club,,,welcome to n00b 2nd class, enjoy your journey to 20K

Amnorix
06-08-2011, 07:01 AM
I know it's easy to say I won't, but I'm going to be pretty freaking pissed if they don't get the season started on time.

We'll all be pissed.

And then we'll all watch. Because the NFL is the greatest freaking sports league in the universe.

Amnorix
06-08-2011, 07:12 AM
wouldn't they drop the AFC vs NFC in a shortened season?

keep the super bowl as the only inter-conference match up

They could. In 1982, the 9 game season, they kept at least one inter-conference game. I didn't do alot of research around this.

My thinking is that the NFL has for many years had a very good interconference schedule, and they may want to keep a portion of that, but you're right -- they could just skip interconference this year, with the idea being that they will just ignore 2011 for rotation purposes and use the system again starting in 2012 with a full, clean schedule to work with.

This is all highly speculative anyway. EACH week of NFL games is tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars of revenues. While 8 games may be the minimum season, in their minds, they will have as many weeks as possible. If that's a stupid number like 9 or 11 or 13 or whatever, they will still do it. Nobody is going to bag a week of games just to have a "cleaner" rotation of games.

Los Pollos Hermanos
06-08-2011, 07:22 AM
lies!

Not a lie. I would probably watch a 14 game season. Maybe a 12 game season. I will not watch an 8 game season. I will have 2 months to become so angry with the NFL that I don't know how long it would be before I watched again.

whoman69
06-08-2011, 09:40 AM
No shit?

Yeah, no shit. That doesn't mean they won't be lazy and just play the games as scheduled.

Over-Head
06-08-2011, 09:48 AM
give us 2 times raiders, donks, and chargers we are in the playoffs
And with the Chiefs record of 1 and done, it'll still get ya squat :p

KurtCobain
06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
The faidas want an all division schedule for sure. LMAO.

I still can't believe that fail of a team could go 6-0 in their division and get shit.

Brock
06-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah, no shit. That doesn't mean they won't be lazy and just play the games as scheduled.

How could they play the games as scheduled?