PDA

View Full Version : Life any IT people here who work for a hospital?

wilas101
06-10-2011, 06:53 AM
If so, I'd love to have a nice quiet chat.

Thanks.

BigRichard
06-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Actually I do. What is it you would like to chat about?

Phobia
06-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Stop sticking q-tips in it. Some anti-biotics should clear that right up in about 3 days.

wilas101
06-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Stop sticking q-tips in it. Some anti-biotics should clear that right up in about 3 days.

lol always solid advice

I've got an interview coming up next week and wanna figure out what to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with. I'll shoot you a pm.

Stryker
06-10-2011, 11:32 AM

Ditto!

allen_kcCard
06-10-2011, 11:34 AM
I'd like to hear more on this here personally.

I've wondered about getting into hospital IT and would love to hear takes on it.

Bob Dole
06-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Not any more, and it's been long enough now that it's probably quite different.

BigRichard
06-10-2011, 12:45 PM

I've wondered about getting into hospital IT and would love to hear takes on it.

I like the position I am at now. I had a little private conversation with the OP and told him just to beware of on call duties. My previous position had me on call 24/7 and I was called all the time. My new job rocks. I have control over a good chunk of the network but since we only support the clinics there is hardly any on call.

Although I am looking to work into another different position shortly that would probably throw me back on the on call duties. The hospital that I am associated with is moving to an entirely new system called EPIC. They will be running it on Citrix. I was gonna maybe move over and work as a Citrix admin. I have a little time working with it and thought it would be a good fit. I am always looking to expand my horizons.

wilas101
06-10-2011, 12:52 PM

for me it is a case of "will it require an investment of time that I am not willing to part with?"

One of the big things after a phone interview was the way it was painted in regard to time spent there. I was left wondering if it's being presented to me worse than it really is or if it's being presented lighter than actual.

I've got no problems with a full weeks work and actually like the idea of being busy all day while i'm there (which is not the case in some IT shops when you're simply waiting for shit to break) but I'm not very interested in devoting my life to a job. I've done that. I've worked 18 hour days and 7 days weeks for 3 months straight out of the year and it's not something I want to start over again.

That said... it sounds like benefits might be very good so that will add something to the thought process as well.

Obviously, I'll know more after the real interview but some homework was required and a couple guys have been helpful.

allen_kcCard
06-10-2011, 12:58 PM
I work for cerner, and deal a lot with what is used in a hospital that uses them, and have always wondered how my experiences would help in doing it for a hospital.

I know I could be a systems engineer for them without much issue, but not sure what the time expectations would be, as mentioned above, the pay/benefits, and all that. Also thought a bit about doing the same thing as a consultant instead.

BigRichard
06-10-2011, 01:07 PM
for me it is a case of "will it require an investment of time that I am not willing to part with?"

One of the big things after a phone interview was the way it was painted in regard to time spent there. I was left wondering if it's being presented to me worse than it really is or if it's being presented lighter than actual.

I've got no problems with a full weeks work and actually like the idea of being busy all day while i'm there (which is not the case in some IT shops when you're simply waiting for shit to break) but I'm not very interested in devoting my life to a job. I've done that. I've worked 18 hour days and 7 days weeks for 3 months straight out of the year and it's not something I want to start over again.

That said... it sounds like benefits might be very good so that will add something to the thought process as well.

Obviously, I'll know more after the real interview but some homework was required and a couple guys have been helpful.

I also forgot to ask, can any on call work be done from home? That can be a killer as well. If you take 5 calls but you can do them all from home not such a big deal.

BigRichard
06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
I work for cerner, and deal a lot with what is used in a hospital that uses them, and have always wondered how my experiences would help in doing it for a hospital.

I know I could be a systems engineer for them without much issue, but not sure what the time expectations would be, as mentioned above, the pay/benefits, and all that. Also thought a bit about doing the same thing as a consultant instead.

I worked with Cerner at my old job. Ever work with Methodist in Omaha?

Predarat
06-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I work for a hospital company, my job is a cross between tech support/system admin/e-learning. Not sure if that will be of any help.

allen_kcCard
06-10-2011, 03:01 PM
I worked with Cerner at my old job. Ever work with Methodist in Omaha?

I haven't, only client work I have done was in FL. I've seen ACE trip notices to Methodist though.

BigRedChief
06-10-2011, 03:32 PM
I worked in a hospital for 10 years and then left to make my way in I.T. No money in hospital I.T. unless you are selling them apps. I'm generalizing, they can't pay market value and there are always weekends.