PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Frankie's Marshal thread has me wondering. Who played a better Rooster?

RNR
06-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Jeff Bridges or John Wayne?

BigCatDaddy
06-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Landslide coming.

RNR
06-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Landslide coming.

I thought this might be the case. I do work with some younger guys that have never seen the original and told them to check it out. I am a fan of Bridges and think he played the part well. My nostalgic side picks the Duke~

Zebedee DuBois
06-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm an old guy who grew up in the John Wayne era, and Wayne pretty much always played the same character: John Wayne. His acting range went from John to Wayne. Sometimes that was great - because the JW character is an engaging fun to watch character - but my vote went to the other guy.

milkman
06-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm an old guy who grew up in the John Wayne era, and Wayne pretty much always played the same character: John Wayne. His acting range went from John to Wayne. Sometimes that was great - because the JW character is an engaging fun to watch character - but my vote went to the other guy.

John Wayne epitomized what the American male wanted to be.

He was actually a piss poor actor, but he was the best John Wayne that John Wayne could be.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Jeff Bridges is a pretty good actor. John Wayne was a pretty good John Wayne - which was all we wanted most of the time. I thought Bridges did a heckuva job - but I have to admit I liked John Wayne's rewritten end-of-the-movie.

Rooster
06-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Go Rooster!!!o:-)

RNR
06-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Go Rooster!!!o:-)

Damn it I forgot to add you to the poll ;)

RNR
06-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Jeff Bridges is a pretty good actor. John Wayne was a pretty good John Wayne - which was all we wanted most of the time. I thought Bridges did a heckuva job - but I have to admit I liked John Wayne's rewritten end-of-the-movie.

I thought Bridges and Damon along with the girl nailed the parts. I liked the ending of the original better. As far as which movie was better I think it is pretty much a dead heat~

Red Beans
06-12-2011, 09:09 AM

There is no better example of this statement than the movie below... Try to picture John Wayne's voice and cadence attached to Genghis Kahn. It's pretty comical.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3154/theconqueror.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/theconqueror.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Okie_Apparition
06-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I will see the new version in about 2-3 years. If I stay on track

Dave Lane
06-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Maybe it's just me but I was never a fan of John Wayne as an actor, or most of his films.

Deberg_1990
06-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Bridges is a better actor by far....John Wayne played John Wayne and really only got that Oscar for Career Achievement.

But Wayne is Iconic. You cant really compare the two.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-12-2011, 11:15 AM
"Well I went to conquer Asia yesterday but here you are today...pilgrim"

RNR
06-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Bridges is a better actor by far....John Wayne played John Wayne and really only got that Oscar for Career Achievement.

But Wayne is Iconic. You cant really compare the two.

I was meaning this role only. The Duke was just like Eastwood they both play the same guy in every movie, but is a real cool guy~

Just Passin' By
06-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Wayne's version was much better, IMO.

Bwana
06-12-2011, 12:04 PM
John Wayne

Dave Lane
06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I was meaning this role only. The Duke was just like Eastwood they both play the same guy in every movie, but is a real cool guy~

Not true at all. While Eastwood did play a tough guy a lot of the time he also did Bridges of Madison County and other roles. He had some range. John Wayne was a horrible actor without a single drop of range. He was John Wayne and nothing more, and I think not even that good at that.

RNR
06-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Not true at all. While Eastwood did play a tough guy a lot of the time he also did Bridges of Madison County and other roles. He had some range. John Wayne was a horrible actor without a single drop of range. He was John Wayne and nothing more, and I think not even that good at that.

I was talking his cowboy movies~

Dave Lane
06-12-2011, 12:12 PM
I was talking his cowboy movies~

Ahhh carry on then.

Frazod
06-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Still haven't seen the new one, and it's been so long since I've seen the original I barely remember it.

Perhaps I'll watch the new one today.

keg in kc
06-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Bridges.

I watched the Wayne version a couple of days before I saw the remake, and the remake was about 10,000x better.

(in my humble opinion, of course)

RNR
06-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Landslide coming.

Not so far it is a dead ass tie~

MadMax
06-12-2011, 12:44 PM
fill yer hands you suns a bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love both versions

RNR
06-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Bump for the guys who are on here during the weekdays

Interesting Jeff Bridges is giving old Duke a run for his money. I grew up watching John Wayne and still watch his movies. AMC plays them all the time. I do think it was a dang solid effort by Bridges~

Frankie
06-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Frankie's Marshal thread has me wondering. Who played a better Rooster?

Hey were's my commission?!

Frankie
06-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Jeff Bridges is giving old Duke a run for him money.

RNR, what tribe are you from?

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Yeeeaaaahhhh they come to snuff the rooster....... Alice In Chains

fan4ever
06-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I had a helluva time understanding Bridges from time to time.

I understand the criticism of Wayne not being a great actor because he always played Wayne, but by those standards, Jack Nicholson has never gone too far outside of his persona either...but he's considered a great actor. Just an observation.

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2011, 11:13 AM
...His acting range went from John to Wayne...

Great line.

seclark
06-13-2011, 11:16 AM
big john wayne fan, but i voted bridges on this.
sec

beach tribe
06-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Heeeeeeere they come to snuff the rooster....... Alice In Chains

FYP

RNR
06-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Typo lol and for the record I am from the Peckerwood tribe~

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2011, 11:26 AM
FYP

That's what I meant. heh.

driver2
06-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Jeff Bridges or John Wayne?

Your poll doesn't include the best option. There is no possible arguement about this. The best Rooster is:Foghorn Leghorn!

Frankie
06-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I understand the criticism of Wayne not being a great actor because he always played Wayne, but by those standards, Jack Nicholson has never gone too far outside of his persona either...but he's considered a great actor. Just an observation.

Great point.

Frankie
06-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Your poll doesn't include the best option. There is no possible arguement about this. The best Rooster is:Foghorn Leghorn!

LMAO Thread ender.

http://freevectorku.com/wp-content/uploads/cartoon/Foghorn%20Leghorn/Foghorn003.jpg

Dave Lane
06-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Nicholson has been all over the map especially compared to Wayne.

Just Passin' By
06-13-2011, 02:12 PM

Sean Thornton is far different from Rooster Cogburn, who is far different from Ethan Edwards. By no means was Wayne always playing the same character. What Wayne did was to always keep certain elements of his base character, because that's what was expected, and demanded, of him. That's what most leading actors do, as opposed to the so-called character actors, especially in the more action oriented movies. The difference is that Wayne's basic persona was so powerful that it's what people take away to this day, much like Bogie the tough and Clint the quietly intense.

Brock
06-13-2011, 02:15 PM
I disagree that Clint Eastwood has played a wide variety of characters. No matter what movie you want to talk about, it's Clint being Clint with some very fine tuning, the same as John Wayne.

Rausch
06-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Gaz....

fan4ever
06-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Nicholson has been all over the map especially compared to Wayne.

Really? All I can remember for the past 20 years is him playing some kind of eccentric of one sort or another...almost always someone a bit off tilt.

Gonzo
06-13-2011, 02:27 PM
I dunno...

I Laughed pretty damn hard on the 2nd one when Ol' Rooster kicked the shit out of those goofy looking Indian kids.

MTG#10
06-13-2011, 02:34 PM
I dunno...

I Laughed pretty damn hard on the 2nd one when Ol' Rooster kicked the shit out of those goofy looking Indian kids.

They're Native American kids you racist bastard /Wickedson2.0

KChiefs1
06-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Showing my age on my vote but I can't believe some of the stuff people are saying about The Duke in this thread...off the top of my head I can think of several.

John Wayne American Classics:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Rio Grande
The Quiet Man
The Searchers
Stagecoach
True Grit
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Sands of Iwo Jima
Flying Leathernecks
Rio Bravo
Hatari
McLintock!
The Sons of Katie Elder
El Dorado
The Shootist

Frankie
06-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Showing my age on my vote but I can't believe some of the stuff people are saying about The Duke in this thread...off the top of my head I can think of several.

John Wayne American Classics:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Rio Grande
The Quiet Man
The Searchers
Stagecoach
True Grit
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Sands of Iwo Jima
Flying Leathernecks
Rio Bravo
Hatari
McLintock!
The Sons of Katie Elder
El Dorado
The Shootist
Red River. I'd switch that with Hatari on your list.

CrazyPhuD
06-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Bah Tim Curry and it's not even close.

http://i2.listal.com/image/1487452/300full.jpg

Dave Lane
06-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Really? All I can remember for the past 20 years is him playing some kind of eccentric of one sort or another...almost always someone a bit off tilt.

Hell wouldn't that apply to almost any movie character.

listopencil
06-13-2011, 05:41 PM
There is no better example of this statement than the movie below... Try to picture John Wayne's voice and cadence attached to Genghis Kahn. It's pretty comical.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3154/theconqueror.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/theconqueror.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I saw that movie. It was fucking hilarious and bad ass at the same time.

listopencil
06-13-2011, 05:44 PM

I can't speak for RnR but my great great grandfather was Chief Whatdafuq of the Slapahoe tribe.

RNR
06-13-2011, 05:50 PM
I can't speak for RnR but my great great grandfather was Chief Whatdafuq of the Slapahoe tribe.

I told him the peckerwood tribe. The tribe was once known as "The drunken Micks" from Ireland but that was before we were civilized~

RNR
06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
It is official, all interested have voted. The Duke has won another shootout. Bridges proved to be a formidable foe but was bested. Some what shocked Gaz did not fair better~

Hammock Parties
06-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Jeff Bridges brought so much more to the role. Not even close.

The original movie comes off as campy and goofy compared to the remake.

RNR
06-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Jeff Bridges brought so much more to the role. Not even close.

The original movie comes off as campy and goofy compared to the remake.

I ultimately voted for Bridges ignoring my nostalgic urge and voting on performance~

stevieray
06-14-2011, 03:43 PM

the best actors do play themselves. very few can achieve it.

Delano
06-14-2011, 05:14 PM

That's because Bridges was acting as a drunk; you probably couldn't tell with Wayne because he can't act.

Frankie
06-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Very few actors have the range to not play themselves. They are called character actors. They are the ones winning Oscars in the supporting actors category. Actors like Pacino, DeNiro, and Nicholson were much rangier when they were character actors. As soon as they became famous enough to carry a movie, they started playing basically the same person. John Wayne was a big hit and a leading actor early in his career, so to expect him to show big range of acting is unrealistic.

fan4ever
06-14-2011, 10:40 PM
That's because Bridges was acting as a drunk; you probably couldn't tell with Wayne because he can't act.

He must have been drunk a lot...I could always understand Foster Brooks.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DkHjnA6myl4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DkHjnA6myl4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Frankie
06-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Here's another guy who could have pulled off a decent Rooster Cogburn:

JAMES GARNER