PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs' Pope Saves Six-Year Old Boy From Drowning

Mr. Laz
06-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Chiefs' Leonard Pope Saves Six-Year Old Boy From Drowning
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/profile_images/240996/headshot_tiny.jpg by Joel Thorman (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Joel%20Thorman) on Jun 13, 2011 2:53 PM CDT (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/6/13/2222017/chiefs-leonard-pope-saves-boy-drowning)

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/6/13/2222017/chiefs-leonard-pope-saves-boy-drowning

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1422461/58378_Chiefs_Bengals_Football.jpg (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/photos/chiefs-leonard-pope-saves-six-year-old-boy-from-drowning)

Ed Reinke - APMore photos » (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/photos/chiefs-leonard-pope-saves-six-year-old-boy-from-drowning)

On June 29, 1983, Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/kansas-city-chiefs) RB Joe Delaney lost his life trying to save three children from drowning in a lake and, 28 years later, we have a similar heroic act from a Chiefs players which, fortunately, didn't cost him his life.
The Americus Times Recorder has the full (and incredible) story but Chiefs TE Leonard Pope saved a six-year old boy from drowning last weekend. Anne Moore tells the paper (http://americustimesrecorder.com/local/x1478025122/Leonard-Pope-saves-child-from-drowning)the story of Pope saving her six-year old son, Bryson.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v777cf8a.jpg "We were attending a pool party, and Bryson was in the water with the other kids," said Moore, who has known Pope since he was a little boy. "All of a sudden, I saw Bryson going down in the water and I started screaming. Leonard was inside, and he came out of nowhere and dove into the water without any hesitation, cell phone in his pocket and all. He saved my son's life, and I am so thankful that he was there for me and my child."
Pope was the only person at the party who knew how to swim so I don't want to think what would have happened if he weren't there. "My prayers were answered by God when Leonard jumped in and saved my son," said Moore. "The fact that he is normally at camp and could have been in Kansas City just proved to me that he was placed here to save my son from drowning, and I thank God that he was here. He truly lived up to his nickname "Champ" because he was truly a champion for me and my son this past weekend."
This is simply incredible. Just...wow. Pope's not even quoted in the story so this isn't something he's trying to draw attention to. Usually the only stories we read on Pope in the offseason involve various camps he's involved in. I'm glad to see this out-of-the-ordinary story has a happy ending.

I don't think I'll ever be able to look at Pope the same. What a guy.

loochy
06-13-2011, 02:22 PM
I thought that the only thing Popes could do to little boys was molest them.

Easy 6
06-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Way to go Big Len :clap:

The Franchise
06-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Awesome act by Pope.....but what the fuck is wrong with this picture.

"We were attending a pool party............Pope was the only person at the party who knew how to swim

loochy
06-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Pope was the only person at the party who knew how to swim

Is it racist if I make a generalization about African Americans and swimming ability?

vailpass
06-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Awesome act by Pope.....but what the **** is wrong with this picture.

My thoughts exactly, on both counts.

4th and Long
06-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Is it racist if I make a generalization about African Americans and swimming ability?
Given the fact the Joe Delaney gave his life to try and save 3 children from drowning, I would highly recommend you not go there, for a multitude of reasons.

Thig Lyfe
06-13-2011, 02:28 PM

This reminds me of the time I invited my Hasidic Jewish friends to a pork and bacon dinner. Very awkward.

Rooster
06-13-2011, 02:29 PM
That tall mofo can probably touch in the deep end.

eazyb81
06-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Awesome job by Pope! I am concerned by this though...

Pope was the only person at the party who knew how to swim so I don't want to think what would have happened if he weren't there.

Why in the hell did they throw a pool party then?

Old Dog
06-13-2011, 02:30 PM
It ended better that Joe Delaney's effort did. Delaney was the first thing to pop into my head when I saw the thread title.

RIP#37

Oh, and awesome act by Pope.

vailpass
06-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Given the fact the Joe Delaney gave his life to try and save 3 children from drowning, I would highly recommend you not go there, for a multitude of reasons.

One man's heroic act does not bar all future conversations regarding the subject, does it?

WV

http://macbookgeek.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/stupidity.jpg

luv

No shit. Why would anyone have a pool party when no one knew how to swim?

DMAC
That tall mofo can probably touch in the deep end.

Yeah I was going to say....he probably didnt even have to swim. Just reached in from his lounge chair.

ReynardMuldrake
06-13-2011, 02:37 PM

For some reason black parents often don't teach their kids to swim. It's a different culture. I remember a few years back a black family of six drowned in Louisiana all trying to save each other. None of them knew how to swim.

I would think teaching your kids knowing to swim would be a safety issue. Seems like lots of folks don't though. It's crazy.

vailpass
06-13-2011, 02:39 PM
There is a Chris Rock routine in here somewhere.

Thig Lyfe
06-13-2011, 02:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blackhistory2009/news/story?id=3911615

Black children drown at a rate of more than three times that of white children, and a recent study sponsored by USA Swimming said that 58 percent of black children can't swim. [Black Olympic swimmer Cullen] Jones didn't realize the disparity in the sport until he was about 15 and started competing hard-core.

CoMoChief
06-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Pools are much different than lakes. Pope could probably tippy-toe the deep end, let alone is probably an arms stretch away from being able to hold onto a side wall. I think the title and first sentence is exaggerating the scenario a little, when comparing it to Delaney's rescue attempt in a damn lake. Glad no one was injured or hurt, but come on...If no one knew how to swim, why throw a damn pool party?

ReynardMuldrake
06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Pools are much different than lakes. Pope could probably tippy-toe the deep end, let alone is probably an arms stretch away from being able to hold onto a side wall. I think the title and first sentence is exaggerating the scenario a little, when comparing it to Delaney's rescue attempt in a damn lake. Glad no one was injured or hurt, but come on...If no one knew how to swim, why throw a damn pool party?

That's easy: Bad parenting.

Sofa King
06-13-2011, 02:54 PM

Well, it would certainly make you observational.

seclark
06-13-2011, 02:59 PM
most of the people were inside playing billiards.

good on pope.:thumb:
sec

4th and Long
06-13-2011, 02:59 PM
One man's heroic act does not bar all future conversations regarding the subject, does it?
Productive, informative conversations? Not a problem.

This?
Problem.

luv
06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Maybe it's just an opportunity for all of the rich moms to show off their new bikinis. They just throw a pool party, and everyone lounges by the pool. Heaven forbid the kids actually get the idea that people actually get in the pool at such functions.

luv
06-13-2011, 03:01 PM

This?

Problem.

I do believe that was loochy's attempt at cross-thread humor (see Red 5's thread regarding Dirk being king).

rocknrolla
06-13-2011, 03:05 PM

I second this.

vailpass
06-13-2011, 03:09 PM

This?

Problem.

That would seem to be a statement based in fact. Your not liking it doesn't make it any less true.

4th and Long
06-13-2011, 03:14 PM
I do believe that was loochy's attempt at cross-thread humor (see Red 5's thread regarding Dirk being king).
Not a pro basketball fan. Not a Red 5 fan come to think of it.

4th and Long
06-13-2011, 03:15 PM
That would seem to be a statement based in fact. Your not liking it doesn't make it any less true.
What race was that guy that walked away with all those gold medals in swimming a few years back?

vailpass
06-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Not a pro basketball fan. Not a Red 5 fan come to think of it.

LMAO Not a fan of gochiefs plagarism cut-and-paste factory?

4th and Long
06-13-2011, 03:18 PM
LMAO Not a fan of gochiefs plagarism cut-and-paste factory?
Clayton is an OK kid, but that's what he'll always be to me. A kid. An in his parents home, basement dwelling, kid.

vailpass
06-13-2011, 03:18 PM
What race was that guy that walked away with all those gold medals in swimming a few years back?

I don't recall anyone saying there has never been a black person who knew how to swim. Earlier in this thread someone posted a statistic that showed an inordinate percentage of balck youth cant swim, and that black children drowned at triple the average rate.
Different cultures have different behaviors. There is nothing racist, or wrong, with obseving them and applying the facts to applicable situations.

Rooster
06-13-2011, 03:21 PM
White men can't jump.

Radar Chief
06-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Clayton is an OK kid, but that's what he'll always be to me. A kid. An in his parents home, basement dwelling, kid.

To me he’ll always be “the Meat Peeker”.

alpha_omega
06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Good for him!

4th and Long
06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't recall anyone saying there has never been a black person who knew how to swim. Earlier in this thread someone posted a statistic that showed an inordinate percentage of balck youth cant swim, and that black children drowned at triple the average rate.
Different cultures have different behaviors. There is nothing racist, or wrong, with obseving them and applying the facts to applicable situations.
http://www.whosyourchampion.com/img/champion/-623.jpg

Ace Gunner
06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
you don't have to b catholic to b a good pope

SPATCH
06-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Alright you racist fucks... it sounds like it was some kind of birthday party. Lots of kids were in the pool.

It's not that fucking weird to throw a pool party for a bunch of children.

RockChalk
06-13-2011, 03:54 PM
I always find it fascinating to read that people don't know how to swim. I mean sure, there is proper technique that can be taught and practiced to become a good swimmer. But I would think most people would find a way to bring their body to the top of the water and keep it there, rather than just sinking. Shouldn't swimming be an innate ability, at least in physically-able adults?

SPATCH
06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
I always find it fascinating to read that people don't know how to swim. I mean sure, there is proper technique that can be taught and practiced to become a good swimmer. But I would think most people would find a way to bring their body to the top of the water and keep it there, rather than just sinking. Shouldn't swimming be an innate ability, at least in physically-able adults?

it is innate in infants... you have to learn how to do it as you enter childhood. JFC i thought everyone knew this shit

Pants
06-13-2011, 04:04 PM

It sure seems like it when you already know how swim, lol, but it's not.

You have to be able to relax to stay afloat, and when you don't know how to swim and you're dropped into deep water, relaxing is going to be the last thing that comes to mind. You'll thrash, your heart rate will go up, you'll get out of breath and end up getting tired, inhale water and die.

Wickedson2.0
06-13-2011, 04:06 PM

wow, you're a piece of work

bevischief
06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
No shit. Why would anyone have a pool party when no one knew how to swim?

Why do the owners have a pool if don't know how to swim?

DeezNutz
06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
It's not that ****ing weird to throw a pool party for a bunch of children.

Completely agree, but it is irresponsible not to have more than one person present who can swim.

That said, good for Pope for jumping into action.

SPATCH
06-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Why do the owners have a pool if don't know how to swim?

It was already installed when they bought the home??? putting it to some use??

chefsos
06-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Why do the owners have a pool if don't know how to swim?I had a pool for ten years. I can't swim. It was only 4' deep, though.

kcfanXIII
06-13-2011, 04:31 PM
It was already installed when they bought the home??? putting it to some use??

Why buy a house with a pool if you can't swim? Damned things are too expensive just to look at them. Not to mention the liability factor... Im about to put a lock on my gate just to be safe. If a neighbor kid drowns in your pool, it could be your ass. That is why most city codes call for a self latching gate. Being a nonswimming pool owner is irresponsible at the least, and that has nothing to do with race.

Rain Man
06-13-2011, 04:45 PM
It sure seems like it when you already know how swim, lol, but it's not.

You have to be able to relax to stay afloat, and when you don't know how to swim and you're dropped into deep water, relaxing is going to be the last thing that comes to mind. You'll thrash, your heart rate will go up, you'll get out of breath and end up getting tired, inhale water and die.

You just described me in any body of water more than 12 inches deep.

I never got swimming lessons as a kid, so when I was an adult I took a basic swimming course. But it's hard to learn as an adult, I think. In calm water, I can backfloat my way across a pool if need be, but if anything happens at all, like someone throws a pebble in the water to make a ripple, I'm a dead man.

KCUnited
06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Perfected his dive technique playing catch with Cassel in the offseason.

Dante84
06-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Perfected his dive technique playing catch with Cassel in the offseason.

FAIL.

Anyone who watches certainly knows that Cassel never throws low. Its always 15 feet too high.

KCUnited
06-13-2011, 04:56 PM
FAIL.

Anyone who watches certainly knows that Cassel never throws low. Its always 15 feet too high.

I meant Trent Green.

Demonpenz
06-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Black Kids at a pool party. What next white kids at a dance party? Asians at a a festival to prenouce words with the letter L in it?

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2011, 05:09 PM
I now have a favorite Chief. Not that there's a hell of a lot of competition.

KCUnited
06-13-2011, 05:11 PM
I now have a favorite Chief. Not that there's a hell of a lot of competition.

It was a pool party, not a "company picnic".

Demonpenz
06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
It was a pool party, not a "company picnic".

LMAO

listopencil
06-13-2011, 05:13 PM

^This.

Anyway, what a great story. I enjoy it when you get to see the good (even heroic) side of NFL players. Makes them easy to cheer for.

Valiant
06-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Black Kids at a pool party. What next white kids at a dance party? Asians at a a festival to prenouce words with the letter L in it?

LOL..

Seriously.. I learned how to swim when I was about 9-10 by being thrown out of boat at Stockton Lake about 150ft from shore and told to kick and move my arms like a wind mill towards shore..

vailpass
06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Alright you racist ****s... it sounds like it was some kind of birthday party. Lots of kids were in the pool.

It's not that ****ing weird to throw a pool party for a bunch of children.

It is extremely weird, and irresposnible, to throw a pool party for a bunch of children that can't swim. I live in the frigging swimming pool capital of America, my kids go to umpteen pool parties throughout they year and ALL of the kids there can swim.

Drowning deaths here are a big thing since pools are everywhere. Poor people have them, everyone has one. Toddlers wander into pools and fall in and check out. Just had one die a week or so ago.

Rain Man
06-13-2011, 05:34 PM
It is extremely weird, and irresposnible, to throw a pool party for a bunch of children that can't swim. I live in the frigging swimming pool capital of America, my kids go to umpteen pool parties throughout they year and ALL of the kids there can swim.

Is this why I was never invited to parties as a child? Because I couldn't swim?

(Say yes, please.)

vailpass
06-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Is this why I was never invited to parties as a child? Because I couldn't swim?

(Say yes, please.)

Nah. You made the other kid's look bad and their parents were jealous. All the kids wanted an apricot colored big wheel but only you had one.

PunkinDrublic
06-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Too bad Tebow wasn't there to walk across the water and levitate him out.

Rain Man
06-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Nah. You made the other kid's look bad and their parents were jealous. All the kids wanted an apricot colored big wheel but only you had one.

My mom always said it was because I was too handsome and well-mannered. But maybe the apricot Big Wheel was a reason, too.

DeezNutz
06-13-2011, 06:36 PM
My mom always said it was because I was too handsome and well-mannered. But maybe the apricot Big Wheel was a reason, too.

Your new life challenge should be to become skilled enough in the water to participate in some type of mini iron-man thing. It seems like you've got the running down, so now you need to work on the other two aspects, particularly the water bit.

loochy
06-13-2011, 07:37 PM
wow, you're a piece of work

You are probably taking this message board thing a little bit too seriously

kysirsoze
06-13-2011, 07:48 PM

Actually, one of the silver linings to the Joe Delaney tragedy is the foundation set up to teach inner city kids how to swim. The disparity in swimming between black and white people is usually more attributed to the lack of proper public pools in inner city communities than it is to some other undefinable cultural difference.

Valiant
06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Actually, one of the silver linings to the Joe Delaney tragedy is the foundation set up to teach inner city kids how to swim. The disparity in swimming between black and white people is usually more attributed to the lack of proper public pools in inner city communities than it is to some other undefinable cultural difference.

As in most black people in America have never been fishing or swimming in lakes, rivers or oceans??

Thig Lyfe
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
As in most black people in America have never been fishing or swimming in lakes, rivers or oceans??

You think black kids in Newark or West Baltimore are going on a lot of fucking fishing trips?

Thig Lyfe
06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Kids in West Baltimore who come back from trips to the countryside end up getting got...

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hor_gOBU_GU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rtmike
06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
I always thought the dog paddle was in our instincts.

Our daughter was just starting kindergarten & we had her getting lessons & just generally swimming after she learned for a year or so.

I was a fish growing up, I'd get called the "N" word & Messcan cause I would get so dark skinned from swimming everyday.

Bump
06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
how to people not know how to swim?

SPATCH
06-13-2011, 10:25 PM
how to people not know how to swim?

If you are never taught... THEN YOU CANNOT ****ING SWIM

My God

listopencil
06-13-2011, 10:48 PM

My God

Not true. I was never taught, but I was always calm and relaxed in the water. I taught myself how to swim.

listopencil
06-13-2011, 11:06 PM
By the way, I was trying to explain this story to my wife just now. I know some of you guys are having fun calling each other racists and all that bullshit, but damn...I was trying to tell her what I remember of the Delaney story and how it so oddly relates to this one...I was having a hard time getting the words out. Sometimes life can be so bitterly sad and yet incredibly triumphant at the same time. Sometimes it doesn't matter what team you cheer for or if you give a **** about football at all, this is just a touching human story. Ok, that's really all I had to say. Go ahead and go back to being dicks to each other now.

kysirsoze
06-13-2011, 11:09 PM
By the way, I was trying to explain this story to my wife just now. I know some of you guys are having fun calling each other racists and all that bullshit, but damn...I was trying to tell her what I remember of the Delaney story and how it so oddly relates to this one...I was having a hard time getting the words out. Sometimes life can be so bitterly sad and yet incredibly triumphant at the same time. Sometimes it doesn't matter what team you cheer for or if you give a **** about football at all, this is just a touching human story. Ok, that's really all I had to say. Go ahead and go back to being dicks to each other now.

I know what you mean. I get choked up whenever I think about the Delaney story and I didn't even get to see him play.

listopencil
06-13-2011, 11:10 PM
I know what you mean. I get choked up whenever I think about the Delaney story and I didn't even get to see him play.

Maybe this story will generate some publicity for his foundation, I don't know if it's still around though. That would be great.

rtmike
06-14-2011, 12:04 AM
I thought I remember reading Delaney didn't know how to swim either?

Not trying to be funny either.

MoreLemonPledge
06-14-2011, 12:52 AM
I've met him a few times. A genuinely nice guy who doesn't like attention drawn to himself, despite the fact that he is almost always the largest man in any room.

HoneyBadger
06-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Not true. I was never taught, but I was always calm and relaxed in the water. I taught myself how to swim.

Sink or swim? I assume you picked swim.

big nasty kcnut
06-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Great story and thank you Leonard Pope. Also rip Joe Delaney You are a true hero both of you.

Fire Me Boy!
06-14-2011, 05:24 AM
Comments from Leonard and a few other details in this story: http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=14900991

Mile High Mania
06-14-2011, 05:28 AM
Crazy story and Pope did a good thing, obviously...

I don't understand how people have a pool party, but nobody knows how to swim. What the hell? I don't understand how parents, that don't know how to swim, take their kids to pool parties.

Would hate to think what would have happened had Pope not been there...

InChiefsHeaven
06-14-2011, 05:32 AM
At this time, I'm sure the kid is scared to death of the water, but this would be a good time to teach him to swim. Everyone should know at least the basics...especially if you are going to go into the water...

CosmicPal
06-14-2011, 05:45 AM
At this time, I'm sure the kid is scared to death of the water, but this would be a good time to teach him to swim. Everyone should know at least the basics...especially if you are going to go into the water...

Especially if you're going to throw a pool party!

CosmicPal
06-14-2011, 05:49 AM
I don't understand how people have a pool party, but nobody knows how to swim. What the hell?

What about the owner of the pool? :shrug: Apparently Pope was the only one who knew how to swim. If Pope is a guest, then the owner of the pool put a pool in his backyard even though nobody in his family knows how to use it.

Fire Me Boy!
06-14-2011, 05:50 AM
The story from the local station said Pope was the only adult who knew how to swim. It's a small, but important, detail.

Radar Chief
06-14-2011, 07:26 AM
I thought I remember reading Delaney didn't know how to swim either?

Not trying to be funny either.

He didn’t.
The story as I recall it is he got two child out by holding them up while walking the bottom under water then went back for the third but that didn’t make it back out.

Phobia
06-14-2011, 09:31 AM
He didn’t.
The story as I recall it is he got two child out by holding them up while walking the bottom under water then went back for the third but that didn’t make it back out.

Two of the kids perished along with Delaney. There are conflicting reports of what happened with the third child. Some witnesses said that the child was on shore before Delaney even went into the water. But the now grown man has his own account of a hand reaching out to him in the murkey water and pulling him to safety, much like what one might have saw in a movie.

In any case, Delaney is a hero. Period.

Radar Chief
06-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Two of the kids perished along with Delaney. There are conflicting reports of what happened with the third child. Some witnesses said that the child was on shore before Delaney even went into the water. But the now grown man has his own account of a hand reaching out to him in the murkey water and pulling him to safety, much like what one might have saw in a movie.

Exactly right.

Mr. Plow
06-14-2011, 09:39 AM
http://macbookgeek.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/stupidity.jpg

I think I am offended by this post.

Mr. Laz
06-14-2011, 09:58 AM
This place is so fucked up LMAO

even a thread about a child's life being saved turns into a shitfest

Fire Me Boy!
06-14-2011, 10:01 AM

One survived, one drowned there, and the third was actually transported by EMS and died at the hospital, no?

Radar Chief
06-14-2011, 10:04 AM
One survived, one drowned there, and the third was actually transported by EMS and died at the hospital, no?

That’s what the Joe Delany Wiki page says. Two got out, one lived the other died at the hospital hours afterwards and Joe and the other child’s body were recovered later.

RockChalk
06-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Petro just mentioned this story. Started to go down the road of nobody knowing how to swim at a pool party, then cut himself off.

Wickedson2.0
06-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Petro just mentioned this story. Started to go down the road of nobody knowing how to swim at a pool party, then cut himself off.

haha, yea I'm listening.

Mr. Plow
06-14-2011, 10:54 AM
This place is so fucked up LMAO

even a thread about a child's life being saved turns into a shitfest

No shit. This shouldn't be the typical CP bullshit thread, yet the very first post in the thread is:

whoman69
06-14-2011, 11:07 AM

My guess is that the writer took certain liberties with the truth. A kid was drowning and nobody jumped in until Pope did, so the others to hide their inadequacies went along with the story they couldn't swim.

This sort of story might be the only thing that keeps Pope on the roster this fall.

Bump
06-14-2011, 11:07 AM

My God

ahh, I take it you can't swim either? WOW

The Franchise
06-14-2011, 11:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8204eb36/Pope-saves-the-day

milkman
06-14-2011, 11:41 AM
No shit. This shouldn't be the typical CP bullshit thread, yet the very first post in the thread is:

He was trying to make a joke.

Poorly delivered and poorly timed, as well as in poor taste, but it should have been taken for what it was and ignored.

Mr. Plow
06-14-2011, 11:54 AM
He was trying to make a joke.

Poorly delivered and poorly timed, as well as in poor taste, but it should have been taken for what it was and ignored.

I know it was a supposed to be a joke.

GoHuge
06-14-2011, 12:42 PM
It's a common theme amongst african-americans that even they joke about themselves. Remember the movie "Next Friday"? Ice Cube "hey Unc how come you aint got no water in the pool?" Unc "can't swim, no pools in the projects." It's much more of a socioeconomic issue than a racial one. When was the last time you saw a bunch of people of any race in a poor section of town/housing project just chilling at their pool? See alot of pools in the Bronx or South Central? If there is no pool or body of water for the less fortunate to learn how to swim in, then I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that learning how to swim is going to be on the lower end of thier to-do list. Nothing factual, but it seems to make sense.

Still dumb as shit (regardless of race or socioeconomic status) to have a pool party with people in the pool, and have only one person present that can actually swim in a fuckin pool!!

Frankie
06-15-2011, 09:39 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Chiefs-TE-Pope-saves-six-year-old-boy-from-drown?urn=nfl-wp2597

Chiefs TE Pope saves 6-year-old boy from drowning

By Doug Farrar

When Kansas City Chiefs tight end Leonard Pope(notes) recently went back home to Georgia, he probably didn't expect that he'd be talked about as a hero, but that's just what's happening after he saved 6-year-old Bryson Moore from drowning while he was at a pool party last weekend. Bryson's mother Anne, who has known Pope since the two were children, told the Amercius Times-Reporter what happened.

"Bryson was in the water with the other kids. All of a sudden, I saw Bryson going down in the water and I started screaming. Leonard was inside, and he came out of nowhere and dove into the water without any hesitation, cell phone in his pocket and all. He saved my son's life, and I am so thankful that he was there for me and my child." The boy is said to be understandably afraid of the water after the incident, but OK otherwise.

Apparently, Pope was the only adult at the scene who knew how to swim, which — let's go ahead and say it — speaks to some less-than-stellar planning when it comes to a pool party.

And as Mrs. Moore pointed out in the paper, it's possible that the lockout saved her son's life. "The fact that he is normally at camp and could have been in Kansas City just proved to me that he was placed here to save my son from drowning … I thank God that he was here. He truly lived up to his nickname 'Champ' because he was truly a champion for me and my son this past weekend."

"I didn't think twice about it," Pope said on the NFL Network's Total Access show on Monday. "You know when you hear that motherly voice, and it's something serious when they're screaming. She was like, 'He's drowning!' and I didn't drop anything — I just dove into the water. I brought him back up and handed him to his mom. Patted him on the back and he coughed a couple of times, but he was pretty good for the rest of the day."

Pope said that Bryson probably lost his footing and wound up in the deep end of the pool by accident, and that he didn't see Bryson's head above the water; just the young boy's hands were visible.

Pope was then joined on the show by Mrs. Moore via phone, and she voiced her gratitude without reservation. It was a great moment.

Marcus Johnson(notes), Marketing & PR Director at Phoebe Sumter Medical Center in Americus, told the paper he wasn't surprised that Pope went to save Bryson without hesitation. "He is always doing things for the community, and he truly loves the kids and they love him. He is truly a hometown hero and this is just another reason for us to be proud."

Pope, who played in Super Bowl XLIII with the Arizona Cardinals, caught 10 passes for 76 yards and two touchdowns for Kansas City in 2010. The five-year veteran is a free agent under 2010 league rules.

The Franchise
06-15-2011, 09:41 AM
I'd say REPOST.....but Saul Good's vagina would swell up and irritate him.

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Butt raping on the way!

Lzen
06-15-2011, 09:43 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=246090

Frankie
06-15-2011, 09:43 AM
I did not see this in the first page. Plus even if repost, I bet my thread title is a hell of a lot more imaginative.

So there!

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 09:45 AM
I did not see this in the first page. Plus even if repost, I bet my thread title is a hell of a lot more imaginative.

So there!

I think the name Joe Delaney was mentioned once or twice in the thread if I remember correctly.

Frankie
Heh, I just posted this with a better thread title. Y'all go and read it there. :p

loochy

So there!

It's not on the first page today, but it was for the last 3 days. You seem to visit here enough to have seen that. Oh well...some people in the other thread tried to devolve it into a race conversation (oh wait, that was me :evil:).

loochy
06-15-2011, 09:46 AM
merge threads

Demonpenz
06-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Black David Hasseloff

loochy
06-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Black David Hasseloff

Check it.

Demonpenz
06-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Check it.

DUM DUM DUM DUM

I'll Be ready!

bevischief
06-15-2011, 10:00 AM
r

Gonzo
06-15-2011, 10:15 AM
I'd say REPOST.....but Saul Good's vagina would swell up and irritate him.

Somewhat Average Poster:

"Wow! Look at this interesting article regarding a Chiefs player! It came out like three days ago but I seriously doubt anyone's posted anything about it because I glanced at the 1st page and didn't really see anything. Fuck a bunch of search options! I think I'll post a thread about it. Even if someone did post something, I don't really care because I have a super clever title!!!!ELEVENTY11!"

Copies article and link, then, hits submit new thread button.

Asshole Poster that was the butt of a joke the day before regarding calling out a repost:

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/snak251/fuuuuuuu.png

Gonzo:

LMAO ROFL LMAO

For those of you wondering, see post #3. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=246134)

The Franchise
06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Somewhat Average Poster:

"Wow! Look at this interesting article regarding a Chiefs player! It came out like three days ago but I seriously doubt anyone's posted anything about it because I glanced at the 1st page and didn't really see anything. Fuck a bunch of search options! I think I'll post a thread about it. Even if someone did post something, I don't really care because I have a super clever title!!!!ELEVENTY11!"

Asshole Poster that was the butt of a joke the day before regarding calling out a repost:

Gonzo:

LMAO ROFL LMAO

For those of you wondering, see post #3. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=246134)

I thought you were leaving, Hootie.

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Somewhat Average Poster:

"Wow! Look at this interesting article regarding a Chiefs player! It came out like three days ago but I seriously doubt anyone's posted anything about it because I glanced at the 1st page and didn't really see anything. **** a bunch of search options! I think I'll post a thread about it. Even if someone did post something, I don't really care because I have a super clever title!!!!ELEVENTY11!"

Gonzo:

LMAO ROFL LMAO

These are great LMAO

Crush
06-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Diet Repost

tooge
06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
but nobody is there to save Frankie from a repost

listopencil
06-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I found these 2 GIFs to sum up this thread/reposting fiasco:

http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Trucks_runover_legs.gif

http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/full-2.gif

http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Trucks_runover_legs.gif

Baby seal?

Thig Lyfe
06-15-2011, 01:07 PM
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m605/exterminador86/the-only-mitt-romney-gif-i-need.gifhttp://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m605/exterminador86/the-only-mitt-romney-gif-i-need.gif
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m605/exterminador86/the-only-mitt-romney-gif-i-need.gifhttp://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m605/exterminador86/the-only-mitt-romney-gif-i-need.gif

lcarus
06-15-2011, 01:17 PM
White men can't jump.

"But was Woody Harrelson really our best chance?" -Norm MacDonald

ModSocks
06-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Crazy story and Pope did a good thing, obviously...

I don't understand how people have a pool party, but nobody knows how to swim. What the hell? I don't understand how parents, that don't know how to swim, take their kids to pool parties.

Would hate to think what would have happened had Pope not been there...

How deep could this pool have been? It's a fucking pool party? Can't find your way out of a pool (Regarding the other adults)? Seriously?

That's what I don't get about this whole story. You don't need to know how to swim to jump in a pool.