PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Bwana, JasonAuto, other mechanical people, need chevy advice

booger
06-14-2011, 05:17 AM
98 chevy blazer, LS 4dr 4X4 4.3L............

Multi Function Switch, Cruise Control Switch, or Wiper Switch, whatever you want to call it. Controls the Cruise, wiper hi/lo and delay plus washer fluid and also the hazard lights and turn signal. Spendy part, between 150-200 bucks new. I want to be sure that is what needs replaced before i go out and get one.

The Problem:

Cruise works fine. Hazards work fine. Turn signal has made the clicking or ticking noise that it normally makes when the blinker is on to turn left or right, it keeps making that noise after the blinker clicks off. That is off and on, sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. When it does i just turn the wheel a bit and it stops. That is no big deal, doesn't bother me as it has done it since i bought it from the previous owner.

New problem that is the main issue is running the wipers. Washer fluid does fine. Normally when you push that forward it wipes the windshield 3-4 times and then shuts off. Now it does nothing except spray fluid on the windshield. If wipers are turned to low or high or any of the speeds of the delay still nothing, wipers don't work. Then all of the sudden everything works fine again. Was driving it in a storm the other night and had to pull over and sit until they worked again. Otherwise noticed it before that trying to spray washer fluid to clean the bird crap off and nothing but spray that time, thought it was a fluke until the other night driving in the storm.

Before i go out and buy the multi function switch, is there something i may be overlooking like a wiper motor going bad or something inbetween the wiper motor and the switch?

Thanks in advance.

kstater
06-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Need new bearings in the wipers.

Over-Head
06-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Obligatory "Antifreeze" answer

booger
06-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Need new bearings in the wipers.

Obligatory "Antifreeze" answer

i don't think i've been on the end of needing a question answered, just the one making the wise cracks. I expect plenty of payback. :)

Bwana
06-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Damn dude, I don't think I have run into this issue "yet," to be honest.....Paging Jason.

Bugeater
06-14-2011, 06:15 AM
98 chevy blazer, LS 4dr 4X4 4.3L............

I think I found the problem...

booger
06-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Damn dude, I don't think I have run into this issue "yet," to be honest.....Paging Jason.

taking the cruise function, wiper and washer, plus the turn signal and hazard lights all into one part?...............I'd expect that from a mopar product. Chevy i am dissapoint. Pretty sure i'm going to have to find a steering wheel puller to borrow too.

booger
06-14-2011, 06:17 AM

LMAO

I see a Ford truck in my future.

Bugeater
06-14-2011, 06:18 AM
I had a Chevy Cavalier way back in the day that the wipers started acting up on, I discovered it was because some electronic board attached to the wiper motor was fried. May want to check that out, it was easy to remove and IIRC I paid $5 for one out of junkyard.

Bugeater
06-14-2011, 06:19 AM
LMAO

I see a Dodge truck in my future.
I think this is what you meant.

booger
06-14-2011, 06:20 AM
I had a Chevy Cavalier way back in the day that the wipers started acting up on, I discovered it was because some electronic board attached to the wiper motor was fried. May want to check that out, it was easy to remove and IIRC I paid $5 for one out of junkyard.

Cool, i'll have to take a look around the motor.

booger
06-14-2011, 06:22 AM
I think this is what you meant.

:shake:

There you go thinking again. Silly Nebraskan, friends don't let friends drive Dodge.

SAUTO
06-14-2011, 06:25 AM
i think bugeater might be right. sounds like the wiper pulse board

booger
06-14-2011, 06:31 AM
i think bugeater might be right. sounds like the wiper pulse board

Hope so! I'll have to take a look at that and see. Looks like about a $22 part, not bad at all.

Radar Chief
06-14-2011, 07:16 AM
I had a ’95 Chevy S-10 that did the same thing and found out there is a recall for the wiper controller. For mine I think they just re-flashed the controller programming. I know, programming for a wiper controller. :rolleyes:
I’d check with your local Chevy dealer to make sure the recall has been done.
Seems like there’s also a recall for the ABS programming, be worth checking out also.

Lzen
06-14-2011, 07:19 AM

Damn, you stole my joke.

loochy
06-14-2011, 08:00 AM
In the meantime while you are waiting for your wipers to be fixed, I have a suggestion for you: Use rain-x on your windshield. The rain will sheet off and you really won't need your wipers much anyway.

bevischief
06-14-2011, 09:27 AM
It is the battery going bad.

Phobia
06-14-2011, 09:38 AM
You can get $3-400 salvage for that thing any day of the week. I know the vehicle well. Had one a decade ago for about 6 months. Got rid of it as soon as I could.

beach tribe
06-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Man, that 4.3 is a great engine eh'? No BS.

beach tribe
06-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Let us know how it goes.

booger
06-14-2011, 09:10 PM
I had a ’95 Chevy S-10 that did the same thing and found out there is a recall for the wiper controller. For mine I think they just re-flashed the controller programming. I know, programming for a wiper controller. :rolleyes:
I’d check with your local Chevy dealer to make sure the recall has been done.
Seems like there’s also a recall for the ABS programming, be worth checking out also.

i'll check on those recalls, thanks.

booger
06-14-2011, 09:12 PM
In the meantime while you are waiting for your wipers to be fixed, I have a suggestion for you: Use rain-x on your windshield. The rain will sheet off and you really won't need your wipers much anyway.

reminds me i need to clean all the glass inside and out. I've used the rain x before and it sure works good.

Brock
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
reminds me i need to clean all the glass inside and out. I've used the rain x before and it sure works good.

Put it on the inside too. Your windows won't fog up.

Bugeater
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
And while you're at it, check on the recalls for the engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, front & rear axles, wheels, tires, alternator, distributor, seats, door handles, and radio.

booger
06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
It is the battery going bad.

i knew i should have bought a energizer

booger
06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Put it on the inside too. Your windows won't fog up.

In this case i need the windows to fog up. When i'm in the middle of nowhere and have the back seats folded down and i am plowing away at some hiddeous looking skank i prefer that whoever is looking in while the suv is a rocking they can't see her face.

Under normal circumstances i think i will take your advice though, thanks!

Brock
06-14-2011, 09:21 PM
In this case i need the windows to fog up. When i'm in the middle of nowhere and have the back seats folded down and i am plowing away at some hiddeous looking skank i prefer that whoever is looking in while the suv is a rocking they can't see her face.

Under normal circumstances i think i will take your advice though, thanks!

That's what paper sacks are for. Don't use plastic unless it's an ex-wife.

booger
06-14-2011, 09:23 PM
You can get $3-400 salvage for that thing any day of the week. I know the vehicle well. Had one a decade ago for about 6 months. Got rid of it as soon as I could.

this one has done quite well to the punishment i have given it. A/C compressor went out and that is not getting replaced. It's a beater with 4 wheel drive for the winter and hopefully it lasts longer. A drive it till the wheels fall off type that i will be choosy about what i do and don't fix on it. I have considered pumping it full of lead a few times though that's for sure.

booger
06-14-2011, 09:24 PM
That's what paper sacks are for. Don't use plastic unless it's an ex-wife.

:LOL:

booger
06-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Man, that 4.3 is a great engine eh'? No BS.

180 hp (that's pushing it) 17mpg on a good day. Outstanding yes. Brilliant engine put out by GM that 4.3 is.

Even worse is the sorry fellow who purchases said vehicle knowing it has a 4.3.

booger
06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
And while you're at it, check on the recalls for the engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, front & rear axles, wheels, tires, alternator, distributor, seats, door handles, and radio.

you forgot about teh roof rack

listopencil
06-14-2011, 09:50 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/187775_120137648058143_950227_n.jpg