PDA

View Full Version : Football When lockout started, one former player’s health care ended

Mr. Laz
06-14-2011, 11:18 AM
When lockout started, one former player’s health care ended

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 14, 2011, 1:09 PM EDT

Bruce Schwager was the Chicago Cardinals’ 27th round draft pick in 1955, and although he never played in a regular-season game, he qualified for medical assistance from the charitable arm of the NFL Players’ Association. But on the first business day after the lockout started, Schwager’s family learned that assistance would end.

Alan Schwarz of the New York Times has a story out today examining how the players’ union voluntarily paid Schwager’s medical bills, which eventually topped $250,000 (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/15/sports/football/nfl-lockout-could-cost-former-lineman-care-at-dementia-facility.html?hp=&pagewanted=all), and how Schwager’s son got a call when the lockout started and was informed that medical care would cease immediately.

That’s a serious problem because Schwager lives at a dementia-care facility, and his family isn’t sure how to find him care now that the players aren’t paying the bill.

The players’ union didn’t respond to the New York Times‘ request for comment (and also didn’t immediately reply to a PFT e-mail on the subject), but Schwager’s wife says they promised to take care of her husband.

“We based everything in our lives on what they told us —- that they’d take care of him,” Bette Schwager said. “I sold my home and signed a rental lease right around the corner from here so I could be near him. Now my whole world is falling apart.”

The Schwagers’ story is obviously sad, but placing the blame for Bruce Schwager’s current plight on the active players of today seems unfair: Is everyone who ever played football entitled to unlimited health care at the expense of the union?

DeMaurice Smith said in a letter to the Schwagers’ lawyer, “We have been and remain deeply concerned about the financial and medical well-being of Mr. Schwager and his family during this crisis,” but there is no “agreement to pay those expenses indefinitely into the future.”

And so Schwager’s family isn’t sure where to turn.

Bump
06-14-2011, 11:20 AM
well I guess he's fucked

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Uh...yeah, that's just too bad right there.

Should some guy that never actually played an NFL game really feel 'entitled' to a lifetime of free medical care?

And should I really feel heartbroken that his family didn't take the necessary steps to protect themselves in the event that an admitted charitable contribution would eventually run out?

Sorry, but I am not terribly moved.

tyton75
06-14-2011, 11:26 AM
its kinda horsesh!t that the current NFL, be it players or owners or both, who make billions; can't give healthcare to their former players in some capacity?

I would think they would at least give them some basic health insurance for the rest of their lives as a thank you for destroying them for the league.

Old Dog
06-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I concur with post #3

milkman
06-14-2011, 11:29 AM
its kinda horsesh!t that the current NFL, be it players or owners or both, who make billions; can't give healthcare to their former players in some capacity?

I would think they would at least give them some basic health insurance for the rest of their lives as a thank you for destroying them for the league.

The guy never actually played.

pr_capone
06-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Sure... but this guy isn't a former player. Never played in a regular season game. Why should the Union be on the hook for a guy that went to training camp twice?

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 11:31 AM

This dude never played an NFL game.

What you're asking for technically exists - when they play a certain number of games they're qualified for an NFL pension which covers a bunch of stuff (I believe healthcare is included).

This was some scrub drafted in the 27th round that made a couple of training camp teams and that was it. Should the Chiefs be forever obligated to cover Brian Shay's medical expenses?

That's just absurd - this was a charity that the NFLPA never needed to cover and now, as a result of a generosity that they probably had no business extending in the first place, they're being excoriated by a bunch of bleeding hearts.

As ever - no good deed goes unpunished.

milkman
06-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I was looking for work after a layoff, and was given the opportunity to work on a job for a couple of days to find out f it was something I would want to do, and for the company I was applying with to get an idea of who I was.

I never actually went to work for them.

Useless bastards are not paying for my health insurance.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I was looking for work after a layoff, and was given the opportunity to work on a job for a couple of days to find out f it was something I would want to do, and for the company I was applying with to get an idea of who I was.

I never actually went to work for them.

Useless bastards are not paying for my health insurance.

Yeah, but were you one of hundreds every year that showed up, tried to get a job there but didn't have the requisite skills for it?

If so, then you'd have a legitimate beef. Afterall - they're rich.

tyton75
06-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Fine.. f*ck this guy and the players promise..

my point still stands

Brock
06-14-2011, 11:36 AM
It was nice of the union to carry this guy for as long as they did.

milkman
06-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah, but were you one of hundreds every year that showed up, tried to get a job there but didn't have the requisite skills for it?

If so, then you'd have a legitimate beef. Afterall - they're rich.

I'm going to contact the local media and tell them my story.

sedated
06-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Its kind of a dick move to cut off someone off like that, but the thing started as a nice gesture; they didn't HAVE to pay anything.

IMHO, this thread is just bashing of the player's union by someone who supports management. And given Laz's other opinions and stances, I'm pretty confident that being on the other side of an issue from him means I'm on the right side.

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
this is where we all laff relentlessly

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Fine.. f*ck this guy and the players promise..

my point still stands

Your point never stood apart from you holding it up.

But you're free to repeat it if you'd like.

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 11:48 AM
It was nice of the union to carry this guy for as long as they did.

That's my take on it. It was way above and beyond.

Rain Man
06-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I worked at Dairy Queen for almost a year in 1979, and I just found out that they won't provide me with any free health care. I'm really angry about this.

eazyb81
06-14-2011, 12:24 PM
I worked at Dairy Queen for almost a year in 1979, and I just found out that they won't provide me with any free health care. I'm really angry about this.

I never actually worked at Dairy Queen but I did attend orientation, and those bastards had the gall to stop paying for my free healthcare after five decades!

Damn cheapskates.

Chief Roundup
06-14-2011, 12:32 PM
It was nice of the union to take care of him. If the union said they were going to do something then they should do it. If they want to stop coverage then ok but there should of been some advanced notice involved. Not just an immediate stoppage.
No the league shouldn't have to continue to provide for him if they don't want to or if he doesn't meet the criteria need to get said benefits, but there should of or be a time line involved to where it is not an immediate change without any notice or opportunity to make other arrangements.

Valiant
06-14-2011, 12:58 PM

But he never played. He received way more then most.

But.
I agree that the union and nfl should pay medical for life after a certain amount of time or a serious injury while working out playing. Thinking 6 to 7 years on a team.

Brock
06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
It was nice of the league to take care of him. If the league said they were going to do something then they should do it. If they want to stop coverage then ok but there should of been some advanced notice involved. Not just an immediate stoppage.
No the league shouldn't have to continue to provide for him if they don't want to or if he doesn't meet the criteria need to get said benefits, but there should of or be a time line involved to where it is not an immediate change without any notice or opportunity to make other arrangements.

The league didn't provide him with anything.

Garcia Bronco
06-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Should some guy that never actually played an NFL game really feel 'entitled' to a lifetime of free medical care?

And should I really feel heartbroken that his family didn't take the necessary steps to protect themselves in the event that an admitted charitable contribution would eventually run out?

Not only that but his condidtion will not get better. It's already over.

Chief Roundup
06-14-2011, 01:09 PM
The league didn't provide him with anything.

Yes they did. They paid for his healthcare. That is providing free healthcare. So it is implied that they would continue to do so with a verbal if not written promise to do so.
We need more info from both sides to know the exacts. But it definitely has been implied by the leagues actions.

Brock
06-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Yes they did. They paid for his healthcare. That is providing free healthcare. So it is implied that they would continue to do so with a verbal if not written promise to do so.
We need more info from both sides to know the exacts. But it definitely has been implied by the leagues actions.

No, the league didn't do anything. The union did.

Old Dog
06-14-2011, 01:33 PM

If he's gonna be wrong, he may as well go all the way with it

mikey23545
06-14-2011, 01:47 PM
It would appear several posters need to be at that dementia care facility with Schwager...

Frazod
06-14-2011, 01:52 PM

This.

Reminds me of my grandfather. He was either drafted or enlisted in the Army in 1918, but the war ended before he went overseas. He was discharged after about six months. Yet he got full VA benefits all his life, and died in a VA hospital at age 82. Six decades of free medical coverage for six months of service. I was in the Navy for six years and don't get a goddamn thing. If I went to a VA hospital for treatment they wouldn't even look at me until I'd been dead for three weeks.

Phobia
06-14-2011, 01:58 PM
The dude has dementia. He doesn't even know. He doesn't even care. Put him in a cardboard box and throw him a couple cans of soup every day. How much is that, $2.50?

Chief Roundup
06-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Oops my bad.

Well since a union can be decertified maybe this shouldn't be handled by a union that can be desolved. It should be a permanent entity that should take care of these types of things.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Oops my bad.

Well since a union can be decertified maybe this shouldn't be handled by a union that can be desolved. It should be a permanent entity that should take care of these types of things.

Like perhaps the man's family?

Over-Head
06-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Its sucks for teh family, but it's not like they (the NFL) really had to be doing this all along. As stated the guy never played, hard one to realy feel bad either way.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Nobody gives a shit about anyone but themselves, and their family anymore. This thread is a pretty good indicator of that. I'm curious when the news media will learn this, and stop writing these kinds of stories.

mikey23545
06-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Nobody gives a shit about anyone but themselves, and their family anymore. This thread is a pretty good indicator of that. I'm curious when the news media will learn this, and stop writing these kinds of stories.

WTF are you babbling about? Do you need a little dementia care yourself?

Chief Roundup
06-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Like perhaps the man's family?

They should of been from the beginning but once the union started taking care of this stuff there should of been notice that they were going to stop taking care of his medical bills.
Did benefits stop for all the players that are getting them because the union decertified? If not why was it just this persons benefits?

Chief Roundup
06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Its sucks for teh family, but it's not like they (the NFL) really had to be doing this all along. As stated the guy never played, hard one to realy feel bad either way.

Better becareful some can't figure things out when a person is being general in a discussion. It isn't the NFL it is the players union.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
They should of been from the beginning but once the union started taking care of this stuff there should of been notice that they were going to stop taking care of his medical bills.
Did benefits stop for all the players that are getting them because the union decertified? If not why was it just this persons benefits?

My presumption is that yes, it stopped for all upon de-certification.

But not everyone is as shitty about planning to take care of themselves or their loved one, nor are they all as reliant on charity so they haven't gone griping to the media about it.

Again - this was pure charity. I don't care if some benevolent stranger decides to take care of you for 20 years, all that means is that you should be putting that 'breathing room' to good use to create a war chest in the event said stranger stops taking care of you.

There's no such thing as estoppel when it comes to charity. You get what you get for as long as you get it. At no point are you reasonably allowed to begin relying on it.

It's just an absurd bitchfest by a person that needed to take more responsibility for his/her loved one.

Frazod
06-14-2011, 02:20 PM
The dude has dementia. He doesn't even know. He doesn't even care. Put him in a cardboard box and throw him a couple cans of soup every day. How much is that, $2.50?

How much would it cost to smother him with a pillow? I'd certainly prefer that to waisting away an inch at a time in some godforsaken nursing home.

BigCatDaddy
06-14-2011, 02:29 PM

All this thread is missing is a Mother Fuck You 70 year old women and your Dementia ridden husband.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-14-2011, 02:31 PM
WTF are you babbling about? Do you need a little dementia care yourself?

I've always loved the fact that you're bat shit crazy, and accuse everyone else of it. You're probably the single most delusional poster on this board.

Brock
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Better becareful some can't figure things out when a person is being general in a discussion. It isn't the NFL it is the players union.

Saying "the league" when you really mean "the union" is like saying "the sun" when you really mean "the moon". That isnt' being general, sorry.

Chief Roundup
06-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Saying "the league" when you really mean "the union" is like saying "the sun" when you really mean "the moon". That isnt' being general, sorry.

Well this stuff should be handled by the league not by the union that can be decertified.
I know my benefits are provided by my employer not by the union. The union just fights for me so that I can have the said benefits.

Way to provide anything substantial to the thread. :rolleyes:

Fish
06-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Well this stuff should be handled by the league not by the union that can be decertified.
I know my benefits are provided by my employer not by the union. The union just fights for me so that I can have the said benefits.

WTF? You've been throwing misinformation around this thread, confusing the league with the players union the entire time. What's this shit about?

Over-Head
06-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Dude, don`t matter what the fuck I say, or how I say it lately , someone got a red ass over it. Hell I`m a Raider fan thats spent 10 years going on 11 around here, I`m a glutton for punishment,

Brock
06-14-2011, 03:18 PM

He never played a single game, and the union helped him out of charity. This has nothing whatever to do with benefits.

Try actually reading the article, then maybe you'll have something to say that makes any sense at all.

BigCatDaddy
06-14-2011, 03:28 PM
I once picked up a hitchiker and then pushed his ass out the door while going down the highway. Aren't I a peach?

Chief Roundup
06-14-2011, 03:34 PM
WTF? You've been throwing misinformation around this thread, confusing the league with the players union the entire time. What's this shit about?

Oh excuse the fuck out of me for saying league when it should of been union. Big fucking whoopty do.
Misinformation my ass. 4321

Chief Roundup
06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
He never played a single game, and the union helped him out of charity. This has nothing whatever to do with benefits.

Try actually reading the article, then maybe you'll have something to say that makes any sense at all.

I did read it jackass. Stop gripping about this stupid shit. Oh I used one wrong word get over yourself.

The benefits comment was about the regular players. Not this person. Maybe you need reading comprehension.

Fish
06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Oh excuse the fuck out of me for saying league when it should of been union. Big fucking whoopty do.
Misinformation my ass. 4321

Well considering that the distinction between the league and the union makes a huge difference in your argument.... yeah it is kind of a big "whoopty do".

Brock
06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
I did read it jackass. Stop gripping about this stupid shit. Oh I used one wrong word get over yourself.

The benefits comment was about the regular players. Not this person. Maybe you need reading comprehension.

It was nice of the union to take care of him. If the union said they were going to do something then they should do it. If they want to stop coverage then ok but there should of been some advanced notice involved. Not just an immediate stoppage.

No, your comments were about this person, and you went way off topic when you started in about coverage and benefits, which this topic had nothing to do with. You've been fucked up on this thread from the beginning.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I once picked up a hitchiker and then pushed his ass out the door while going down the highway. Aren't I a peach?

Wait...so the NFLPA cut off his funds and injected him with AIDS?

Perhaps if you were intellectually honest you'd realize that a proper analogy would've been that you picked up a hitchiker, took him about 90% of the way there, then pulled over after your tires blew and told him that he was on his own for the remaining 10%.

But then you couldn't get all indignant and pat yourself on the back for being such a kind, caring soul.

WV
06-14-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure if there's more to this story or not, but exactly why would this guy's family expect the Union to continually pay his medical bills forever? Was there a contract or written agreement somewhere or are these people just that stupid?

Where to turn? I guess that is a pertinent question for a family that isn't prepared to pick up the bills they should be responsible for in the first place.

BigCatDaddy
06-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Wait...so the NFLPA cut off his funds and injected him with AIDS?

Perhaps if you were intellectually honest you'd realize that a proper analogy would've been that you picked up a hitchiker, took him about 90% of the way there, then pulled over after your tires blew and told him that he was on his own for the remaining 10%.

But then you couldn't get all indignant and pat yourself on the back for being such a kind, caring soul.

I could have told him to hang on for little while why I fix the tire and then I'll take him the rest of the way.

BigCatDaddy
06-14-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure if there's more to this story or not, but exactly why would this guy's family expect the Union to continually pay his medical bills forever? Was there a contract or written agreement somewhere or are these people just that stupid?

Where to turn? I guess that is a pertinent question for a family that isn't prepared to pick up the bills they should be responsible for in the first place.

They are old; it's been done for a long time and they just assumed such a wealthy union would continue to do so. I'm sure the wife is just in a panic. Someday we will all be there and if Milkman is any indication it's going to make us miserable :)

Over-Head
06-14-2011, 03:51 PM

One wrong or mispelled word around this place is like chum in the fucken water to a pack of great whites.
Don`t matter what ya say, someone will pick up on it and flame ya.

BigCatDaddy
06-14-2011, 03:52 PM
One wrong or mispelled word around this place is like chum in the ****en water to a pack of great whites.
Don`t matter what ya say, someone will pick up on it and flame ya.

You mean "Doesn't" matter......

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I could have told him to hang on for little while why I fix the tire and then I'll take him the rest of the way.

As near as I can tell, that possibility hasn't been excluded. Or have you heard something regarding the NFLPA's re-certification that I haven't?

Right now the driver is still in the process of controlling the skid; he'll get back to you once he finds his spare.

BigCatDaddy
06-14-2011, 03:56 PM
As near as I can tell, that possibility hasn't been excluded. Or have you heard something regarding the NFLPA's re-certification that I haven't?

Right now the driver is still in the process of controlling the skid; he'll get back to you once he finds his spare.

I think it's very likely especially now that attention has been drawn to the flat and probably likely before that, but maybe a little reassurance to a person down on their luck would have saved a whole lot of trouble. Obviously finishing the ride out is the right thing to do.

Brock
06-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I think it's very likely especially now that attention has been drawn to the flat and probably likely before that, but maybe a little reassurance to a person down on their luck would have saved a whole lot of trouble. Obviously finishing the ride out is the right thing to do.

Certainly gratitude for what's been given is out of the question.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Precisely what trouble would it have saved?

The Schweigers are sure acting like it's the lack of funds, not the failure to notify, that has them this upset. Ms. Schweiger is upset because she has nothing and her husband will have to move now. Precisely what kind of assurance could the NFLPA give there? That they'll start paying again when the Union Re-certifies? He'll still have been evicted from his hospice care at that point.

If DeMaurice Smith had sent such a letter A) It would've been a pretty reckless decision from a legal standpoint as it would've created some form of estoppel at that point and B) It would've just led to 1 extra paragraph in the article from a rambling old woman asking "Well what good does that do us when he's going to get evicted now?"

Again - the bottom line is that she relied on charity. She set her life up around a voluntary gift and at no point did she do anything to protect herself in the event that gift ceased to be. That's just irresponsible, co-dependant, garbage behavior by a woman who had no right to get anything from anyone to begin with.

As I said earlier - no good deed EVER goes unpunished.

The next time some training camp reject comes down with a terminal disease, they should probably just let him die on his own so they don't get their asses dragged through the headlines on account of not being quite nice enough.

Old Dog
06-14-2011, 04:20 PM
once the union started taking care of this stuff there should of been notice that they were going to stop taking care of his medical bills

So if I were to send a $100 bill to your address every week for no apparent reason and then a few years down the road I stopped doing so I would be in the wrong unless I had previously let you know I was going to stop sending them? That makes as much sense as what you are saying.

Chief Roundup
06-14-2011, 04:24 PM
So if I were to send a $100 bill to your address every week for no apparent reason and then a few years down the road I stopped doing so I would be in the wrong unless I had previously let you know I was going to stop sending them? That makes as much sense as what you are saying.

Depends on exactly what was told to these people. Those are things we don't know yet.

boogblaster
06-14-2011, 04:24 PM
its a shame .. but he surely has medicare or some state-aide that would pick up most of the bill ....

Old Dog
06-14-2011, 04:27 PM
One wrong or mispelled word around this place is like chum in the fucken water to a pack of great whites.

Really? REALLY?? You're one of the better posters on this board, but if spelling words wrong were an Olympic event you would win damn near every medal ever won. I'm not talking about sweeping the 100m and 200m. I mean taking gold, silver, and bronze, with the possibility of a platinum lifetime achievement award as well.

pr_capone
06-14-2011, 04:28 PM

The Schweigers are sure acting like it's the lack of funds, not the failure to notify, that has them this upset. Ms. Schweiger is upset because she has nothing and her husband will have to move now. Precisely what kind of assurance could the NFLPA give there? That they'll start paying again when the Union Re-certifies? He'll still have been evicted from his hospice care at that point.

If DeMaurice Smith had sent such a letter A) It would've been a pretty reckless decision from a legal standpoint as it would've created some form of estoppel at that point and B) It would've just led to 1 extra paragraph in the article from a rambling old woman asking "Well what good does that do us when he's going to get evicted now?"

Again - the bottom line is that she relied on charity. She set her life up around a voluntary gift and at no point did she do anything to protect herself in the event that gift ceased to be. That's just irresponsible, co-dependant, garbage behavior by a woman who had no right to get anything from anyone to begin with.

The next time some training camp reject comes down with a terminal disease, they should probably just let him die on his own so they don't get their asses dragged through the headlines on account of not being quite nice enough.

http://i.imgur.com/mT77m.gif

Over-Head
06-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Really? REALLY?? You're one of the better posters on this board, but if spelling words wrong were an Olympic event you would win damn near every medal ever won. I'm not talking about sweeping the 100m and 200m. I mean taking gold, silver, and bronze, with the possibility of a platinum lifetime achievement award as well.
At least i`m consistant LMAO

Old Dog
06-14-2011, 04:53 PM
LOL, I gotta give you that, Bro. :)

milkman
06-14-2011, 06:20 PM
They are old; it's been done for a long time and they just assumed such a wealthy union would continue to do so. I'm sure the wife is just in a panic. Someday we will all be there and if Milkman is any indication it's going to make us miserable :)

It's you poor bastards that hold everything in that are miserable.

My stress level is almost non existent.

pr_capone
06-14-2011, 06:24 PM
So... should the OP get a card for misleading thread title?

When lockout started, one former player’s health care ended

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 07:58 AM

She is a scared elderly women. I'm sorry but I do have sympathy for them, just as I would have sympathy for people that were promised Social Security or a pension to only find out it's not going to be there now.

How about just verbally telling her that it's cut off now, but it may be reinstated somewhere down the line. Of course she should appreciate the gesture and of course he never had any right to it begin with, but cutting it off now permanetely just doesn't seem like the right thing to do to me.

sedated
06-15-2011, 09:07 AM
She is a scared elderly women. I'm sorry but I do have sympathy for them, just as I would have sympathy for people that were promised Social Security or a pension to only find out it's not going to be there now.

I didn't read anything about a "promise", where did you see that?

How about just verbally telling her that it's cut off now, but it may be reinstated somewhere down the line. Of course she should appreciate the gesture and of course he never had any right to it begin with, but cutting it off now permanetely just doesn't seem like the right thing to do to me.

I also didn't see any reference to what is going to happen once the lockout is over. Link?

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 09:10 AM
I didn't read anything about a "promise", where did you see that?

I also didn't see any reference to what is going to happen once the lockout is over. Link?

"The players’ union didn’t respond to the New York Times‘ request for comment (and also didn’t immediately reply to a PFT e-mail on the subject), but Schwager’s wife says they promised to take care of her husband."

Just speculating. I think they will start picking up the tab again and if they don't now that the story is out somebody will. Americans aren't typically as big as assholes as you may think by reading this thread.

JD10367
06-15-2011, 09:11 AM

1.) Social Security: a government-funded program whereby workers pay money into the system their entire lives, assuming they'll get it back when they're old and need it.

2.) A guy who was drafted in 1955, never played in a game, and has been sucking the NFLPA healthcare tit for half a century.

Yeah, these are SO much alike.

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 09:15 AM
1.) Social Security: a government-funded program whereby workers pay money into the system their entire lives, assuming they'll get it back when they're old and need it.

2.) A guy who was drafted in 1955, never played in a game, and has been sucking the NFLPA healthcare tit for half a century.

Yeah, these are SO much alike.

Both are promised sources of revenue you count on later in life. Granted she should have gotten something in writing to secure the deal in case something like this happens.

Would you have been happier if I side someone won the lottery took the payment plan and then the Govt can no longer make those payments?

Brock
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Both are promised sources of revenue you count on later in life. Granted she should have gotten something in writing to secure the deal in case something like this happens.

Would you have been happier if I side someone won the lottery took the payment plan and then the Govt can no longer make those payments?

How can you count on charity, because that's what this was. Not a benefit, not a contract, not a program. You can't base your life around that.

Frazod
06-15-2011, 09:52 AM
"The players’ union didn’t respond to the New York Times‘ request for comment (and also didn’t immediately reply to a PFT e-mail on the subject), but Schwager’s wife says they promised to take care of her husband."

Just speculating. I think they will start picking up the tab again and if they don't now that the story is out somebody will. Americans aren't typically as big as assholes as you may think by reading this thread.

Hey, I drove through Detroit once. Does that entitle me to a new car?

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Hey, I drove through Detroit once. Does that entitle me to a new car?

I wouldn't think so, but if the CEO of GM told you that would you get one for free and you sold yours you may be a little upset if he didn't keep his promise.

"Bette and Joshua Schwager acknowledged that the union had been under no legal obligation to help their family two summers ago through the Players Assistance Trust. The aid appeared to derive in part from how the union’s director of retired players, Andre Collins, played briefly with Joshua Schwager at Penn State in the late 1980s and knew the family.

Bette and Joshua Schwager contend, however, that Collins never mentioned any limit on the assistance the Players Assistance Trust would provide, and that they relied on his promises. In e-mails she shared with The New York Times, Collins initially wrote that “The N.F.L.P.A.’s PAT Fund will be responsible for the hospice bill” and, eight months later, that the union was “still fully committed” to Schwager’s care. "

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 10:06 AM
How can you count on charity, because that's what this was. Not a benefit, not a contract, not a program. You can't base your life around that.

I guess because they took someone at their word?

Brock
06-15-2011, 10:08 AM
I guess because they took someone at their word?

Was there ever really any "word"? and if there was, would you bet your life/well-being on a "word"?

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Was there ever really any "word"? and if there was, would you bet your life/well-being on a "word"?

Did you read the article of just the part in the OP? Based on your comments I don't think you clicked the link. It will put things in a different light, but it's not typical for someone to admit they are wrong so I won't hold my breath.

savchief
06-15-2011, 12:25 PM
This is detail from a lawsuit filed by Schwager last year. He lost.

http://www.jenner.com/files/tbl_s69NewsDocumentOrder/FileUpload500/7265/Schwager_2_4_10.pdf

<p>Bruce Schwager was drafted by the Chicago Cardinals in 1955
and signed a contract with them on January 27, 1955.
Unfortunately, neither party has been able to locate this
contract. It is undisputed, however, that Mr. Schwager reported
to Cardinal’s training camp later that year and was listed on
the Cardinals’ official 1955 Training Camp Roster as a tackle.
The Cardinals released him from the training camp a few days
after it started on account of a broken eardrum, whereupon the
Cardinal’s placed him on the team’s “Reserve” list on August 26,
<p>From the fall of 1955, Mr. Schwager attempted to play
football either for the Cardinals or the Giants, but the
Cardinals refused to move him off the “Reserve” list, preventing
his playing for any other NFL team. In February 1956, Cardinals
Head Coach Ray Richards wrote Schwager to ask if he was
“interested in playing ball for the Cardinals this fall.” He
expressed his belief that “if you report on opening day at
training camp in good shape, you’ll have an excellent chance to
make our ball club.” Nonetheless, despite following up twice
with the Cardinals seeking either for a chance to play for that
club or his release so that he could play for another club, he
was only informed that the Cardinals still considered him under
contract.
<p>In July 1956, Schwager received notice that he had been
drafted for military service and reported for duty in September
1956. While still in the Navy, in March 1958, Schwager again
wrote to the Cardinals requesting release from his contract so
that, upon his discharge, he could pursue a playing career with
another NFL club. The response he received was a request for
information on the interested team so that the Cardinals could
contact them about a trade.
<p>Schwager was honorably discharged from the Navy in December
1958 and visited the Cardinal offices in Chicago in February
1959 to again seek a release. The club refused to do so without
some compensation from another team. The next month, the San
Francisco 49ers expressed interest in signing Schwager, but
declined to trade with the Cardinals for his contract rights.
Schwager was finally released from his contract with the
Cardinals on April 30, 1959. In the spring of 1960, Schwager
attended a tryout for the New York Titans and was offered a
contract for $7500. He signed the contract in July 1960 and
attended Titans’ training camp as an offensive tackle, but
suffered a severe injury during training camp and was released
by the Titans. Mr. Schwager never played in any NFL games and
was never paid by the NFL.

go bo
06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
I've always loved the fact that you're bat shit crazy, and accuse everyone else of it. You're probably the single most delusional poster on this board.

not even close...

sportsshrink holds that honor...

DJ's left nut
06-15-2011, 02:17 PM
This is detail from a lawsuit filed by Schwager last year. He lost.

http://www.jenner.com/files/tbl_s69NewsDocumentOrder/FileUpload500/7265/Schwager_2_4_10.pdf

<p>Bruce Schwager was drafted by the Chicago Cardinals in 1955
and signed a contract with them on January 27, 1955.
Unfortunately, neither party has been able to locate this
contract. It is undisputed, however, that Mr. Schwager reported
to Cardinal’s training camp later that year and was listed on
the Cardinals’ official 1955 Training Camp Roster as a tackle.
The Cardinals released him from the training camp a few days
after it started on account of a broken eardrum, whereupon the
Cardinal’s placed him on the team’s “Reserve” list on August 26,
<p>From the fall of 1955, Mr. Schwager attempted to play
football either for the Cardinals or the Giants, but the
Cardinals refused to move him off the “Reserve” list, preventing
his playing for any other NFL team. In February 1956, Cardinals
Head Coach Ray Richards wrote Schwager to ask if he was
“interested in playing ball for the Cardinals this fall.” He
expressed his belief that “if you report on opening day at
training camp in good shape, you’ll have an excellent chance to
make our ball club.” Nonetheless, despite following up twice
with the Cardinals seeking either for a chance to play for that
club or his release so that he could play for another club, he
was only informed that the Cardinals still considered him under
contract.
<p>In July 1956, Schwager received notice that he had been
drafted for military service and reported for duty in September
1956. While still in the Navy, in March 1958, Schwager again
wrote to the Cardinals requesting release from his contract so
that, upon his discharge, he could pursue a playing career with
another NFL club. The response he received was a request for
information on the interested team so that the Cardinals could
contact them about a trade.
<p>Schwager was honorably discharged from the Navy in December
1958 and visited the Cardinal offices in Chicago in February
1959 to again seek a release. The club refused to do so without
some compensation from another team. The next month, the San
Francisco 49ers expressed interest in signing Schwager, but
declined to trade with the Cardinals for his contract rights.
Schwager was finally released from his contract with the
Cardinals on April 30, 1959. In the spring of 1960, Schwager
attended a tryout for the New York Titans and was offered a
contract for $7500. He signed the contract in July 1960 and
attended Titans’ training camp as an offensive tackle, but
suffered a severe injury during training camp and was released
by the Titans. Mr. Schwager never played in any NFL games and
was never paid by the NFL.

Naaaah....

The Schwager's aren't looking for a meal ticket at all.

This is just a scared old woman that's been wronged and lost a previous lawsuit. I'm sure she can be taken at face value.