PDA

View Full Version : Money OSHA & new housing & residential

LiveSteam
06-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Dont know about the rest of the Midwest,But in Omaha they are out to destroy the small construction guy. With fines that start at $ 7000.00 & the sky is the limit.
In my 20 plus years they have never messed with
residential framers,masons ect.
Is this going on everywhere, or is this just a local issue ?

Bugeater
06-14-2011, 04:14 PM
I have never seen an OSHA inspector in my life. Did one pay you a visit?

luv
06-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Good. He must have gotten my call.
Posted via Mobile Device

LiveSteam
06-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Tomorrow they will be out in force in all the new hoods around Omaha. A ladder leaning up against a wall unattended. $7000.00 fine. Thats the minimum fine........
Its god dam bull shit. Im praying that I am exempt from all this crap, as I have zero employees. In the last week, everyone is wearing hard hats. Like the stars are going to fall from the heavens. Its the most insane thing I have ever seen at work. Everyone.& I MEAN EVERYONE! is freaking out.

Bugeater
06-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Just take the day off.

kstater
06-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Just take the day off.

Or follow the safety procedures.

LiveSteam
Just take the day off.

I wish it was that simple

Titty Meat
Damon Benning gonna shut you down.

LiveSteam
06-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Ya right.

Bugeater
06-14-2011, 05:13 PM
lol...no one does that. Christ, you can't even have an extension cord laying on the ground.

kstater
06-14-2011, 05:14 PM
lol...no one does that. Christ, you can't even have an extension cord laying on the ground.

Agree. There's tons of OSHA shit that gets ignored around here. But, if you know they're coming...

Pants
06-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Tomorrow they will be out in force in all the new hoods around Omaha. A ladder leaning up against a wall unattended. $7000.00 fine. Thats the minimum fine........
Its god dam bull shit. Im praying that I am exempt from all this crap, as I have zero employees. In the last week, everyone is wearing hard hats. Like the stars are going to fall from the heavens. Its the most insane thing I have ever seen at work. Everyone.& I MEAN EVERYONE! is freaking out.

Sounds like communist Russia.

LiveSteam
06-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Sounds like communist Russia.

+1 on that Pants.
Obama man, says he will take your equipment if you dont pay. You cant work till the fine is paid.
Its a move for sure. Just not sure what for yet.
BACK IN THE US. BACK IN THE US. BACK IN THE USSR.

I wanna hang an American flag on the right side of my scaffold,& the old Soviet union flag on the left side.

sedated
06-14-2011, 05:29 PM
+1 on that Pants.
Obama man, says he will take your equipment if you dont pay. You cant work till the fine is paid.
Its a move for sure. Just not sure what for yet.
BACK IN THE US. BACK IN THE US. BACK IN THE USSR.

I wanna hang an American flag on the right side of my scaffold,& the old Soviet union flag on the left side.

Yes, I'm sure Obama's chief concerned is with construction workers in Omaha, Nebraska.

Simplex3
06-14-2011, 05:51 PM

You have the dozen or so books memorized for the OSHA procedures in your industry?

kstater
06-14-2011, 05:59 PM
You have the dozen or so books memorized for the OSHA procedures in your industry?

I know enough of them that I'm not gonna go around crying about Obama keeping me down should an inspection occur.

LiveSteam
06-14-2011, 06:11 PM
I know enough of them that I'm not gonna go around crying about Obama keeping me down should an inspection occur.

Who said anything about inspections? OSHA dose not do inspections.
OSHA shows up with video cameras & tape recorders, & they stop all work & go Gestapo on everyone. With threats about having you served if you dont comply & talk to them. You either talk & rat on the company you work for. or you go to court & pay that way. I have seen what they do first hand in the past.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-15-2011, 07:56 AM
First off, you are not obligated to talk to OSHA. If they arrive on your site, and you are not the owner of the company, as them to wait until the owner arrives. Tell all working on the site to take their break.

A ladder may be left in place on a secure site, that is not a violation. The ladder must be properly erected with regard to extension above the roof or floor, and it must be securely tied off. If the site is not secure, you may take the ladder down or secure it to prevent access.

There is no rule not allowing extension cords to be on the ground.

OSHA will NEVER stop work unless they see a Willful violation. They could care less if you are dumb enough to keep working in front of them, they just get more opportunity to find a violation in that case.

The maximum fine for a Serious violation is $7,000, so I think you're confused. Most Serious fines are in the $1-4k range, and often that will be reduced or waived for small contractors who are cooperative.

I have also never heard of OSHA recording anything if you are cooperative. If you are rude and kick them off the site they will set up shop and begin recording from off-site until a warrant is obtained allowing them access to your site.

The key is to be polite, know your rights, and cooperate within those rights. It sounds like you don't know your rights nor OSHA regulations.

sedated
06-15-2011, 09:09 AM
stop hindering the mob with your "facts"

Dave Lane
06-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Never let facts break up one of those good republican chain emails.

So Steam you in prison today? Brownshirts curb stomping you? Its just has to be horrible!!

I had OSHA show up at a site one time made 2-3 reasonable suggestions. Said I'd take care of it and they never showed up again.

Saulbadguy
06-15-2011, 10:08 AM

So Steam you in prison today? Brownshirts curb stomping you? Its just has to be horrible!!

I had OSHA show up at a site one time made 2-3 reasonable suggestions. Said I'd take care of it and they never showed up again.
:LOL:

penguinz
06-15-2011, 10:15 AM

I had OSHA show up at a site one time made 2-3 reasonable suggestions. Said I'd take care of it and they never showed up again.You know this is bullshit. OSHA would have have shut you down then kidnapped your family and held them for ransom until you paid your $7k fine per violation!

ReynardMuldrake
06-15-2011, 10:20 AM

Those Nazi bastards! How dare they violate your civil rights like that? :cuss:

Over-Head
06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Or follow the safety procedures. THIS!!

Been happening up here in Canada for years. Too many untrained, unsafe idiots getting hurt, and raping the disability board for their own stupidity. Hell when I start a new hiome, I do up a safty data sheet, give it to the builder, and tell him, WHEN YOU fix these problems, I'll be happy to start.

Try working in Alberta some time. The most safty conscious work zones on planet earth.

As for complaining about the fines, just ask any long haul trucker what the D.O.T is like in CA or OH .... Man I can relate horrer stories from when I was on the road.

Bugeater
06-15-2011, 12:00 PM
There is no rule not allowing extension cords to be on the ground.

Not even indoors? While it's been well over a decade since I regularly worked on construction sites, there were a handful of contractors who always suspended their cords from the ceiling, and when I asked them why they did it they said it was OSHA regulations. So either they were wrong, or something has changed since then.

Just Passin' By
06-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Bitching about OSHA is not party specific, and OSHA is infamous for idiotic and heavy-handed approaches, actions and demands.

rocknrolla
06-15-2011, 12:11 PM

:clap:

Bowser
06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I could probably live comfortably the rest of my life on th efines UPS has paid to OSHA* in the past year.

*I have no firsthand knowledge of hard fines at UPS, but I can only say with a straight face that OSHA has wet dreams about UPS and other such companies.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Not even indoors? While it's been well over a decade since I regularly worked on construction sites, there were a handful of contractors who always suspended their cords from the ceiling, and when I asked them why they did it they said it was OSHA regulations. So either they were wrong, or something has changed since then.

I've managed commercial construction for 12 years, and had a course in OSHA in college, and refreshed training each year. I've never seen nor heard of this practice. The only thing remotely like this is the stringing of temporary lighting, that IS an OSHA reg.

LiveSteam
06-15-2011, 01:29 PM
I have know idea what they do in kan. but in Nebraska. They carry a camera around they're necks & tap record all conversations. I just spent close to 1/2 an hour on the phone with OSHA. As long as I am self employed & registered with the Department of labor as a sole proprietor. They cant fine me. Im off the hook for now. :-)
At 9.30am sharp they showed up on the street that I am bricking a house on.Just like they said they would be. Doesn't help that this street has 20 houses going up & construction workers everywhere. Must be 50 miles of that yellow safety tape on this street. Its crazy. I can see fining a guy if he has a record of peeps getting hurt on his jobs. 23 years i have never seen anyone get hurt. notta ZIP!

PS at around 9:40am I went home,& this is not commercial construction. It is residential housing.
Its the first time they have made a push in residential housing in the Omaha metro

loochy
06-15-2011, 01:34 PM
I have know idea what they do in kan. but in Nebraska. They carry a camera around they're necks & tap record all conversations. I just spent close to 1/2 an hour on the phone with OSHA. As long as I am self employed & registered with the Department of labor as a sole proprietor. They cant fine me. Im off the hook for now. :-)
At 9.30am sharp they showed up on the street that I am bricking a house on.Just like they said they would be. Doesn't help that this street has 20 houses going up & construction workers everywhere. Must be 50 miles of that yellow safety tape on this street. Its crazy. I can see fining a guy if he has a record of peeps getting hurt on his jobs. 23 years i have never seen anyone get hurt. notta ZIP!

PS at around 9:40am I went home.

I think the point is to stop bad practices BEFORE people get hurt.

LiveSteam
06-15-2011, 01:41 PM
I think the point is to stop bad practices BEFORE people get hurt.

No one gets physically hurt. I have never heard, read or watched the local news. run a story of anyone getting hurt in omaha working on a new house.
It just doesn't happen. Im sure a few peeps have had stitches, from this that & the other thing. But no cripples,amputees,deaths ect
The last death was a guy working for the city,on a new overpass. He was wearing the fall rope.
The fall still killed him. Im sure if he hadn't been wearing the rope he would have payed more attention to his surroundings. & not taken the risk that caused his fall. If I remember right the safety rope & harness failed & he fell from the Dodge street over pass to the street below. My best guess, its about a 70 ft drop. SPLAT!

mikeyis4dcats.
06-15-2011, 02:08 PM
No one gets physically hurt. I have never heard, read or watched the local news. run a story of anyone getting hurt in omaha working on a new house.
It just doesn't happen. Im sure a few peeps have had stitches, from this that & the other thing. But no cripples,amputees,deaths ect
The last death was a guy working for the city,on a new overpass. He was wearing the fall rope.
The fall still killed him. Im sure if he hadn't been wearing the rope he would have payed more attention to his surroundings. & not taken the risk that caused his fall. If I remember right the safety rope & harness failed & he fell from the Dodge street over pass to the street below. My best guess, its about a 70 ft drop. SPLAT!

:facepalm;

LiveSteam
06-15-2011, 02:27 PM
:facepalm;

:facepalm:

jspchief
06-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I've been dinged by OSHA in residential construction. It was the first house on a new golf course in the middle of nowhere. The only explanation I could ever imagine for them being there was that someone tipped them off over something.

I believe my fines totaled around $13k, including 5k for my ladder not extending 3' above the roof edge.

The good news is, the little guy can usually get the fines waived if he has no history with OSHA, just by paying for a few ridiculously over-priced classes.

But yea, those guys are cocksuckers. Most of the horror stories you hear aren't exaggerated. They make the IRS look like Boy Scouts.

LiveSteam
06-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I've been dinged by OSHA in residential construction. It was the first house on a new golf course in the middle of nowhere. The only explanation I could ever imagine for them being there was that someone tipped them off over something.

I believe my fines totaled around $13k, including 5k for my ladder not extending 3' above the roof edge.

The good news is, the little guy can usually get the fines waived if he has no history with OSHA, just by paying for a few ridiculously over-priced classes.

But yea, those guys are cocksuckers. Most of the horror stories you hear aren't exaggerated. They make the IRS look like Boy Scouts.

Sucks that they get away with fines that are just crazy