PDA

View Full Version : Science Medical Mushrooms!

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Sign me up!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110615/ts_yblog_thelookout/far-out-magic-mushrooms-could-have-medical-benefits-researchers-say

The hallucinogen in magic mushrooms may no longer just be for hippies seeking a trippy high.

Researchers at John Hopkins University School of Medicine have been studying the effects of psilocybin, a chemical found in some psychedelic mushrooms, that's credited with inducing transcendental states. Now, they say, they've zeroed in on the perfect dosage level to produce transformative mystical and spiritual experiences that offer long-lasting life-changing benefits, while carrying little risk of negative reactions.

The breakthrough could speed the day when doctors use psilocybin--long viewed skeptically for its association with 1960s countercultural thrill-seekers--for a range of valuable clinical functions, like easing the anxiety of terminally ill patients, treating depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, and helping smokers quit. Already, studies in which depressed cancer patients were given the drug have reported positive results. "I'm not afraid to die anymore" one participant told The Lookout.

The John Hopkins study--whose results will be published this week in the journal Psychopharmacology--involved giving healthy volunteers varying doses of psilocybin in a controlled and supportive setting, over four separate sessions. Looking back more than a year later, 94 percent of participants rated it as one of the top five most spiritually significant experiences of their lifetimes.

More important, 89 percent reported lasting, positive changes in their behavior--better relationships with others, for instance, or increased care for their own mental and physical well-being. Those assessments were corroborated by family members and others.

"I think my heart is more open to all interactions with other people," one volunteer reported in a questionnaire given to participants 14-months after their session.

"I feel that I relate better in my marriage," wrote another. "There is more empathy -- a greater understanding of people, and understanding their difficulties, and less judgment."

Identifying the exact right dosage for hallucinogenic drugs is crucial, Roland Griffiths, a professor of psychiatry at John Hopkins who led the study, explained to The Lookout. That's because a "bad trip" can trigger hazardous, self-destructive behavior, but low doses don't produce the kind of transformative experiences that can offer long-term benefits. By trying a range of doses, Griffiths said, researchers were able to find the sweet spot, "where a high or intermediate dose can produce, fairly reliably, these mystical experiences, with very low probability of a significant fear reaction."

In the 1950s and '60s, scientists became interested in the potential effects of hallucinogens like psilocybin, mescaline, and lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) on both healthy and terminally ill people. Mexican Indians had, since ancient times, used psychedelic mushrooms with similar chemical structures to achieve intense spiritual experiences. But by the mid '60s, counterculture gurus like Dr. Timothy Leary and Aldous Huxley were talking up mind-altering drugs as a way of expanding one's consciousness and rejecting mainstream society. Stories, perhaps apocryphal, circulated about people jumping out of windows while on LSD, and some heavy users were said to have suffered permanent psychological damage. By the early '70s, the Food and Drug Administration had essentially banned all hallucinogenic drugs.

But recent years have seen the beginning of a revival of mainstream scientific interest in mind-altering drugs, and particularly in the possibility of using them in a clinical setting to alleviate depression and anxiety. A 2004 study by the government of Holland (pdf)-- where hallucinogenic mushrooms are legal, as long as they're sold fresh--found psilocybin to have no significant negative effects.

Here in the United States, too, the climate may be shifting. In a statement accompanying the announcement of the Johns Hopkins findings, Jerome Jaffe, a former White House drug czar now at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, said the results raise the question of whether psilocybin could prove useful "in dealing with the psychological distress experienced by some terminal patients?"

The hope is that the long-lasting spiritual and transcendental experiences associated with psilocybin could--if conducted in a controlled and supportive setting, and with appropriate dosage levels--help ease patients' fear and anxiety, allowing them to approach death with a greater sense of calm. (You can see one terminally ill cancer patient speak movingly about the positive effects of psilocybin here.)

Griffiths thinks the drug may have the potential to alleviate the suffering of terminal patients. He's currently leading a separate John Hopkins psilocybin study, using volunteers who are depressed after being diagnosed with cancer. "So far we've had--anecdotally only--very positive results," comparable to the study with healthy volunteers, he said. A study from the University of California at Los Angeles last year reported similar positive results.

But Griffiths said his study, under way for three years, has only recruited 20 patients, in part because oncologists are more interested in curing cancer than helping patients cope with its effects, so they don't refer provide many referrals. "Most oncologists just don't get it," he said. "It's not the focus of their research, and they're busy people."

But the experience of one volunteer in Griffiths's study offers a glimpse of the potential benefits. Lori Reamer, 47, told The Lookout that she participated in two Johns Hopkins psilocybin sessions last September, not long after ending intensive chemotherapy and radiation to treat a rare form of leukemia that, several times in the preceding few years, had almost taken her life.

Reamer, an anesthesiologist from Ruxton, Md., with three young daughters, said that although her disease was in remission by that time, she was still suffering psychologically from the trauma of the illness and the treatment. Deeply depressed, she said, she had walled herself off emotionally, and was unable to show empathy for others or even for herself.

The psilocybin had an immediate impact. "At the end of the session, I was just in this joyous, happy, relaxed state," she said. "The drug was gone--what was left was just this peaceful calm."

That calm had lasting benefits. Reamer said the experience--what she called "an epiphany"--gave her the impetus to get out of a failing marriage. Since doing so, she said, both she and her daughters have been much happier.

"I don't think it was the drug that did it," she said. "It was the drug that helped me find the clarity."

That's not the only improvement. "My sleeping has gotten better. My relationships have gotten better with people," she said. "The fog has lifted."

"The best thing it did for me was heal me psychologically and emotionally and allow me to be back in my kids' lives, be back to being a mother," Reamer concluded. As she spoke, she was taking her daughters--two 15-year old twins, and a 6-year-old--on a trip to Hershey Park.

And although doctors tell her that, thanks to the effect of the illness and the treatment, she likely has only 10 or 15 years to live, she's able to approach that challenge with equanimity.

"My fear of death kind of disappeared," she said. "I'm not afraid to die anymore."

Griffiths, of John Hopkins, said Reamer's experience isn't an outlier among the volunteers, both sick and healthy, who have tried psilocybin. "People feel uplifted, and very often have a sense that everything is O.K. at one level," he said. "That there's sense to be made out of the chaos."

"When you see people undergoing that kind of transformation," he added, "it's really quite moving."

DMAC
06-15-2011, 10:45 AM
I tried them once as a teen...

I couldnt play Double Dribble. It was confusing.

NewChief
06-15-2011, 10:56 AM
LSD is starting to come back into vogue in the medical world as well.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=return-of-a-problem-child
LSD Returns--For Psychotherapeutics
LSD makes a comeback as a possible clinical treatment
By Gary Stix | Thursday, September 24, 2009 | 68

HAVE A NICE TRIP: The counterculture popularity of the hallucinogen LSD sidetracked research on its possible medical uses for decades.
Image: TED STRESHINSKY Corbis
ADVERTISEMENT

Albert Hofmann, the discoverer of LSD, lambasted the countercultural movement for marginalizing a chemical that he asserted had potential benefits as an invaluable supplement to psychotherapy and spiritual practices such as meditation. “This joy at having fathered LSD was tarnished after more than ten years of uninterrupted scientific research and medicinal use when LSD was swept up in the huge wave of an inebriant mania that began to spread over the Western world, above all the United States, at the end of the 1950s,” Hofmann groused in his 1979 memoir LSD: My Problem Child.

For just that reason, Hofmann was jubilant in the months before his death last year, at the age of 102, when he learned that the first scientific research on LSD in decades was just beginning in his native Switzerland. “He was very happy that, as he said, ‘a long wish finally became true,’ ” remarks Peter Gasser, the physician leading the clinical trial. “He said that the substance must be in the hands of medical doctors again.”

The preliminary study picks up where investigators left off. It explores the possible therapeutic effects of the drug on the intense anxiety experienced by patients with life-threatening disease, such as cancer. A number of the hundreds of studies conducted on lysergic acid diethylamide-25 from the 1940s into the 1970s (many of poor quality by contemporary standards) delved into the personal insights the drug supplied that enabled patients to reconcile themselves with their own mortality. In recent years some researchers have studied psilocybin (the active ingredient in “magic mushrooms”) and MDMA (Ecstasy), among others, as possible treatments for this “existential anxiety,” but not LSD.

Gasser, head of the Swiss Medical Society for Psycholytic Therapy, which he joined after his own therapist-administered LSD experience, has only recently begun to discuss his research, revealing the challenges of studying psychedelics. The $190,000 study approved by Swiss medical authorities, was almost entirely funded by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, a U.S. nonprofit that sponsors research toward the goal of making psychedelics and marijuana into prescription drugs. Begun in 2008, the study intends to treat 12 patients (eight who will receive LSD and four a placebo). Finding eligible candidates has been difficult—after 18 months only five patients had been recruited, and just four had gone through the trial’s regimen of a pair of all-day sessions. “Because LSD is not a usual treatment, an oncologist will not recommend it to a patient,” Gasser laments.

The patients who received the drug found the experience aided them emotionally, and none experienced panic reactions or other untoward events. One patient, Udo Schulz, told the German weekly Der Spiegel that the therapy with LSD helped him overcome anxious feelings after being diagnosed with stomach cancer, and the experience with the drug aided his reentry into the workplace.

The trials follow a strict protocol—“all LSD treatment sessions will begin at 11 a.m.”—and the researchers are scrupulous about avoiding mistakes that, at times, occurred during older psychedelic trials, when investigators would leave subjects alone during a drug session. Both Gasser and a female co-therapist are present throughout the eight-hour sessions that take place in quiet, darkened rooms, with emergency medical equipment close at hand. Before receiving LSD, subjects have to undergo psychological testing and preliminary psychotherapy sessions.

Another group is also pursuing LSD research. The British-based Beckley Foundation is funding and collaborating on a 12-person pilot study at the University of California, Berkeley, that is assessing how the drug may foster creativity and what changes in neural activity go along with altered conscious experience induced by the chemical. Whether LSD will one day become the drug of choice for psychedelic psychotherapy remains in question because there may be better solutions. “We chose psilocybin over LSD because it is gentler and generally less intense,” says Charles S. Grob, a professor of psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles, who conducted a trial to test psilocybin’s effects on anxiety in terminal cancer patients. Moreover, “it is associated with fewer panic reactions and less chance of paranoia and, most important, over the past half a century psilocybin has attracted far less negative publicity and carries far less cultural baggage than LSD.”

Others assert the importance of comparative pharmacology—how does LSD differ from psilocybin?—because of the extended period of research quiescence. Just because many types of so-called SSRI antidepressants exist, “it doesn’t mean that they are all identical,” observes Roland Griffiths, a Johns Hopkins University researcher who conducts trials with psilocybin. In any case, on the 40th anniversary of the Woodstock music festival, psychoactive substances that represented the apotheosis of the counterculture lifestyle are no longer just hippie elixirs.

Note: This article was originally printed with the title, "Return of a Problem Child."

BigCatDaddy
06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=NewChief;7699127]LSD is starting to come back into vogue in the medical world as well.

QUOTE]

My "friend" told me he liked Mushrooms much more. Much shorter trips and much more clean feeling.

Ace Gunner
06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
it'll never b resceduled by the FDA. they'll synthesize it and run it thru the FDA goose.

sedated
06-15-2011, 11:03 AM
My "friend" told me he liked Mushrooms much more. Much shorter trips and much more clean feeling.

depends on the quality of the LSD. If it gets approval to be seriously studied, then the quality stuff from the 70's could make a come back.

(my friend told me that, I don't do drugs)

NewChief
06-15-2011, 11:04 AM
I love this comment from the LSD article:

1. joeldooris
09:53 AM 9/24/09
This is an outrage!
Research into illegal drugs shouldn't be pursued because they are illegal! These drugs have no benefit to anyone under any circumstances and should not be looked into any further

Wow. :spock:

NewChief
06-15-2011, 11:05 AM
depends on the quality of the LSD. If it gets approval to be seriously studied, then the quality stuff from the 70's could make a come back.

(my friend told me that, I don't do drugs)

Right on purity. But according to my friend the point about duration of the psychedelic experience still stands.

Gonzo
06-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Just another example of gubment mind control.

Shit's in our water, man...

DMAC
06-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Bad trip...

Over-Head
06-15-2011, 11:18 AM
There was a HUGE patch of em growing down by the Church when I was in HS, not too many bad Friday afternoon's in class after lunch for me and my bro's

MOhillbilly
06-15-2011, 11:19 AM
i heard about this fella that ate some boomers and couldnt find his way out of a field.

MOhillbilly
06-15-2011, 11:19 AM
There was a HUGE patch of em growing down by the Church when I was in HS, not too many bad Friday afternoon's in class after lunch for me and my bro's

i never understood how kids could or would wanna dose at school.

eazyb81
06-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Because school sucks and is boring???

:shrug:

MOhillbilly
06-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Because school sucks and is boring???

:shrug:

then skip.

eazyb81
06-15-2011, 11:25 AM
then skip.

At my school you would get suspended for skipping. They tracked attendance like hawks.

DMAC
06-15-2011, 11:26 AM
At my school you would get suspended for skipping. They tracked attendance like hawks.

Then you sucked at skipping.

MOhillbilly
06-15-2011, 11:27 AM

And whats the problem?

KCUnited
06-15-2011, 11:27 AM
I was cool with taking drugs, but hells nah on skipping school.

Rausch
06-15-2011, 11:30 AM
LSD is starting to come back into vogue in the medical world as well.

QUOTE]

Never tried acid.

Also never had a bad trip on shrooms. That's probably the only illegal drug I'd do again if they were all made legal...

Bob Dole
06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
It explores the possible therapeutic effects of the drug on the intense anxiety...

Well duh...

Over-Head
06-15-2011, 12:03 PM

THIS!!
Teachers could smell weed, and booze, all they could do was yell at ya for acting like a clown on shrooms. Worst case was after school detention, so ya go back down to teh church, munch on another hand full, and go veg in detention.

It's not like we were fried 24/7, just friday afternoons during tripple sociology, about the only time it made scense.

MOhillbilly
06-15-2011, 12:30 PM
THIS!!
Teachers could smell weed, and booze, all they could do was yell at ya for acting like a clown on shrooms. Worst case was after school detention, so ya go back down to teh church, munch on another hand full, and go veg in detention.

It's not like we were friend 24/7, just friday afternoons during tripple sociology, about the only time it made scense.

i think you is friend now, Big Hoss.

salame
06-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I want to get super lsd high

Over-Head
06-15-2011, 02:10 PM
i think you is friend now, Big Hoss. no, just cant spell sometimes

MOhillbilly
06-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I want to get super lsd high
Fuck weak shit like LSD.
i want a fuckin karova milk bar in my house.

Easy 6
06-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Tried tripping in school once, the paranoia was unreal... ended up skipping.

MOhillbilly
06-15-2011, 02:25 PM

there was this big mofo in my art class. he was trippin ballsout and i handed him this big fuckin rasp and told him he couldnt break it.

He torques down on it hard as he can and it snaps in half...and he busts his fuckin chair all at the same time. Channel 1 was on so it was super funny. He got so weirded out he left.

gawd i never thought id stop laughin.

NewChief
06-15-2011, 02:26 PM

We had a bunch of dumbasses eat jimson weed last year at our school. Bad scene.

Bump
06-15-2011, 02:30 PM

and that is one of the reasons why we are so behind, too many idiots like that.

rocknrolla
06-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I must say. Holicingenics (spelling) were my drug of choice back in the day. If my spelling doesn't tell you anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
06-15-2011, 02:34 PM
We had a bunch of dumbasses eat jimson weed last year at our school. Bad scene.

do tell.

rocknrolla
06-15-2011, 02:36 PM
What is jimson weed?
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
06-15-2011, 02:39 PM
do tell.

Full on break from reality. Talking to people who weren't there. Fighting imaginary people. Etc. Two of them ended up in hospital for a few days. Thankfully none of them had long term damage (mental or physical).

NewChief
06-15-2011, 02:42 PM
What is jimson weed?
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Datura.shtml

Read a few if those trip reports. It's often called "the insane root" or "devil weed" for a reason. Crazy stuff.

rocknrolla
06-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Full on break from reality. Talking to people who weren't there. Fighting imaginary people. Etc. Two of them ended up in hospital for a few days. Thankfully none of them had long term damage (mental or physical).
Holy shit. I got to read about this shit. That is Fucking scary.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
06-15-2011, 02:47 PM
that shit grows in my back yard. im gonna give it to some dumb ass hobos and see what happens.

teedubya
06-15-2011, 02:49 PM
There is much to be learned from ethnobotany... but you can't "patent" plants. And even if a plant/fungus could cure cancer and give us all 12 inch dicks... no way would it be legal... not until they can create a synthetic version to patent.

NewChief
06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
that shit grows in my back yard. im gonna give it to some dumb ass hobos and see what happens.

Yeah. It's really common and grows in all sorts of climates. I read this account of missionaries who lived with a tribe in the grand canyon like 150 years ago. They write about how the kids of the tribe would get into the crazy weed every few years and have all sorts if issues. Interesting how kids have been doing stupid shit in all cultures fir a long time.

MOhillbilly
06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
There is much to be learned from ethnobotany... but you can't "patent" plants. And even if a plant/fungus could cure cancer and give us all 12 inch dicks... no way would it be legal... not until they can create a synthetic version to patent.

i have a 12 in dick. Just give me a glass of milk w/ knives.

Fish
06-15-2011, 03:07 PM
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Datura.shtml

Read a few if those trip reports. It's often called "the insane root" or "devil weed" for a reason. Crazy stuff.

Wow.... reading a few of those experiences is frightening as hell....

Unlike the onset of an E or acid trip, my mental state was very comfortable but my physical condition felt quite unhealthy. The heavy sense of inebriation was quickly followed by powerful, disorienting visuals. Though they weren't disturbing, they seemed as clear as sunlight. Black cats milled about the floor in front of me, so numerous I couldn't even see the tile. They appeared wet and angry. There was deep crimson blood dripping from the ceiling.

Everything was technicolor. The sense of detachment was stong, but it didn't feel strange. Each hallucination flowed into the next. I was holding a very old bible in my lap. I couldn't figure out how to open it. Soon it started to leak blood, too. The more I struggled, the more it bled. As soon as I realized my efforts were futile, the book materialized into the air around me. It didn't seem strange to me. When I analyzed the room again it was a bustling, futuristic metropolis. It appeared very large and very alien, with shining chrome and flashing lights everywhere. I began to feel discomfort and the strong urge to urinate simultaneously.

I staggered into the bathroom and vomited in the closest urinal, right in front of an amish man. Now I live in south central Pennsylvania, so it's very possible that he was really there, but considering my state and other people's accounts of Datura-induced visuals, I suspect he was just a hallucination. I do know that I relieved myself somewhere in the bathroom and left through the side exit adjacent to the lavratory door. The street outside was a scene of WWII-ravaged Europe. I don't know which country, but everyone on the street was garbed in Nazi military uniform. I felt very threatened. I ran into the alley behind the parking lot and
hid behind a pine tree.

The anxiety soon ebbed, but the thirst and need to urinate returned. I knew I needed a comfort zone, a place I could relax in. A friend lived nearby. I walked to his apartment complex and stood in front of the stairwell. The same crimson blood from the McDonald's was cascading down the steps. It began to rise over my shoes, up my legs. A heavy sense of vertigo came over me. There's a memory gap between the stairs and my friends apartment, but I ended up on his couch watching dolphins dive through the wall in a seamless loop. During my time there, I experienced the typical non-existent cigarette search and the disappearing person puzzle. I visited the bathroom many times, but eliminated very little. The sense of dehydration was unbearable! There was no comfort. I didn't recognize the people in the room. I asked the person closest to me where 'Bill' was.

'Bill's not here', was the return. I closed my eyes to escape the growing sense of panic. But when my eyelids shut, all I saw was a new room with new people. Where was I? I tried to reopen my eyes, but it only revealed another room with yet more strangers. This went on and on. I didn't know if my eyes were open or shut. I didn't know where I was, what time it was or what was happening. My panic turned into sensory collapse. Every thing bled together and I felt a deep spiraling sensation engulf me. I lost all visual capabilities, but I still had a very real sense of touch. I was trapped in a small metalic box. It made perfect sense to me.

I was dead. This was hell. There were no demons, no hellfire or brimstone, just a deep, complete feeling of darkness and hopelessness. This was the never-ending void. Not at all how I had imagined it, but worse than I thought that it could have been. I've had feelings of infinite emotion on acid trips and sensations of universal truth in K-holes, but this was the most profound reality I had ever experienced. My whole existence was put into perspective, and I was being punished for wasting the gift of life. I blacked out at some point in the box and woke up in my friend's apartment the next day. He said I was out for about 8 hours. The physical effects wore off about a day later, but the psychological impression has yet to fade.

Datura is boundless. Datura is powerful beyond words. Datura is POISON!

DMAC
06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhh....pass

Stewie
06-15-2011, 04:09 PM
I've never heard of John Hopkins.

Over-Head
06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Tried tripping in school once, the paranoia was unreal... ended up skipping. pussy :p

Over-Head
06-15-2011, 04:24 PM
What is jimson weed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Never watch CSI huhh? Great episode btw

Over-Head
06-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah. It's really common and grows in all sorts of climates. I read this account of missionaries who lived with a tribe in the grand canyon like 150 years ago. They write about how the kids of the tribe would get into the crazy weed every few years and have all sorts if issues. Interesting how kids have been doing stupid shit in all cultures fir a long time.
I just wanna know who figured out licken a toads ass could make ya high?

Crush
06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
I just wanna know who figured out licken a toads ass could make ya high?

I'm standing by the Family Guy explanation that it was an accident.

Otter
06-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Wow.... reading a few of those experiences is frightening as hell....

Sounds like a fun night! I'll be the naked guy on your front lawn howling at the moon and smearing feces on your windows to protect you from the evil penguin godess in about an hour.

*nom nom nom*

Fish
06-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Sounds like a fun night! I'll be the naked guy on your front lawn howling at the moon and smearing feces on your windows to protect you from the evil penguin godess in about an hour.

*nom nom nom*

Not one of those nights again...... :D

Reminded me of this bad trip from the link...

I'm an experienced tripper. In fact, my first drug xp was peyote. I'm not a heavy user by any means: 2-3 times a year. I'm a fairly regular pot smoker, and though I don't drink a lot, I'm an avid lover of beer. Hallucinogens are my love though, and I DON'T consider them just recreational. For the most part, they are done camping with friends (UP of Michigan: that is the place!). Trippin' is supposed to be a spiritual xp that can be fun but mainly, I consider it a 're-boot' of my system.

That being said, Datura is now officially off the list of 'camping supplies.' I did my homework, I read about the bad xps and thought to myself 'I'll do this smart.' One thing I noticed about the bad xp's was they usually involve people who regularly use drugs and lead unhealthy lifestyles. I don't. Also, people usually seem to be in an urban environment where police pressence can be summoned. That was being avoided. I also made sure I had plenty of water. I was not going to smoke any pot or drink. The dose I was using was considerably lower than most of the 'bad story' doses. I didn't officially have any sitters, but my friends were all with me. they were using mushrooms, not datura. I've tripped with all of them before and trusted their abilities to separate reality from mythology if things got too hairy.

My MISTAKE was having read a great deal of Robert E. Howard the week prior. Conan, Kull, Bran Mak Morn, etc. After ingestation, I didn't get the 'drunk' feeling as bad as most people seem too. I was in fairly good shape. I did start getting the effects quickly. The dark woods provided a lot of shapes that outrightly became Picts. I surprised and probably scared my friends half to death when I suddenly took up the camp machette and went to do glorious battle with the attacking savages. Of this, i have little recollection. I had been lucid for quite some time, but near dusk, the 'battle began.' This is what my friend described:

'you went from talking about pygmy tribes and the yeti into 'THEY'RE HERE! You jumped up from your log, grabbed the machette, ran thru the fire and into the treeline, hacking everything in site. We were too scared to come to you. In fact, we were worried that you were gonna start thinking we were Orcs too, so we left.'

My friends literally fled into the woods to get away from me. I don't remember much until I came across a dead animal. Which coulda been a whale or a unicorn or a Meglotherium for all I knew. I spent a lot of time fighting 'Picts' or 'Danes' or whatever. I read a lot of fantasy books and play Magic cards so Goblins, Murgos, Viashinos, Skull Bearers, Trolls, Gnolls, and a whole other assorted menagerie of evil was out to get me. Somehow, I wandered into a swamp and lost my 'sword.'

My friends found me hours later. It wasn't hard. I left a trail of hacked brush and I was screaming quite loudly. I have vivid memories of terrible things coming out of the dark for me. The scary thing was, for the several hours I was alone, I didn't drink anything. Luckily, I was only a half mile from camp. I didn't recognize my two friends when they came for me, I thought the flashlights were 'witch balls' I fought with them a little, before I realized they were real and had water. I'm sure that I had pissed myself and was real glad to get dry clothes on back at camp.

I was in and out of lucid dreams the whole night. I basically ruined their buzz, but being true friends, they found me more amusing than assholeriffic. I still get dogged about that weekend, but I've been forgiven. However, in addition to the 4 day hangover, I cannot shake the uneasy fear that I could have killed somebody or myself. I literally was a delusional nut running around with a dangerous weapon in the woods. I could have fell on it. I shudder everytime I think of that weekend. Given a choice between doing Datura again or eating an entire sheet of acid, i would eat the sheet. Datura is NOT something to be fucked with and I'm a healthy sane person with hallucenogenic xp. My advice: you probably are not strong enough for it and if you are you better not have a violent bone in your body or you can flip out easily. Have SOBER sitters will absolutely not permit you to be anywhere near dangerous places or objects. Or just don't do it, because the hangover sucks and it really isn't all that fun.

beach tribe
06-15-2011, 06:01 PM
I felt a long lasting well being associated with my spirituality after eating mushrooms. Of course that was a long time ago.

But, a long lasting fear of any other kind trip drug after eating some ungodly powerful acid about 7 years ago. I never tripped again after that, and at age 30, of course I never will. I Thought I fried my noodle after the sun rose the 2nd time, and it wasn't gone.

boogblaster
06-15-2011, 10:09 PM
shrooms were always my choice over acid .. cleaner and no aches lata ....

FAX
06-15-2011, 10:18 PM
The more enlightened individuals on Planet Earth (as some people choose to call it) have known that, when administered in the correct doses, psilocybin can indeed create a happier, more joyous, and contented human being.

It's good to know that science has, at last, come to the same conclusion. Perhaps now we can begin to bring an end to this absurd "war on drugs", put the evil cartels out of business, and convert our DEA agents into FTD delivery men.

FAX

Fat Elvis
06-15-2011, 10:48 PM
I felt a long lasting well being associated with my spirituality after eating mushrooms. Of course that was a long time ago.

But, a long lasting fear of any other kind trip drug after eating some ungodly powerful acid about 7 years ago. I never tripped again after that, and at age 30, of course I never will. I Thought I fried my noodle after the sun rose the 2nd time, and it wasn't gone.

Not a pleasant sensation/thought while tripping.

I actually have a brother who never quite came back from one trip...he was predisposed, I suppose, but still....

MOhillbilly
06-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Not one of those nights again...... :D

Reminded me of this bad trip from the link...

LMAO