PDA

View Full Version : Misc Let Toyota know...

DenverChief
06-16-2011, 03:59 AM
This is not okay..and yes I do know this guy

My friend Aaron ****'s mother denise Fransua was tragically murdered a few weeks ago in a case of domestic violence.

Understandably, as part of the police investigation, the the car was impounded and was told that he could retrieve the car free of charge, but only after a required waiting period while the coroner released the official death certificate.

Aaron contacted Toyota immediately to explain the entire situation and because they financed the car. Aaron was told to send in the death certificate and a written intent to assume the loan, and that things would be taken care of. He complied with Toyota's request on June 1st, and the car was current with all of it's fees and payments at that time.

However, on June 10th and without notifying Aaron (the ONLY adult next of Kin), Toyota decided to repossess the car from the impound lot before Aaron could legally pickup the car himself. Only after personally going to the impound lot on June 15th, was Aaron informed that Toyota had taken his mother's car.

Now Toyota is refusing to return the car, OR HIS MOTHER'S PERSONAL EFFECTS, as some sick form of corporate randsom, without first: Paying the entire remaining balance of the car loan in full at over $3300. Plus, Toyota is demanding that the family pay for repossession and impound lot fees that would have been waived by the police investigator when the family picked up the car themselves, at a price of over $1000!

Oh! and Toyota so graciously has given the grieving family until July 5th to pay over $4300, or their mother's car will be sold and their case will be closed!

Aaron has called, written, and pleaded with Toyota officials, but they are simply not budging from their position. They don't see anything wrong with charging the son and daughter of a single mother who was murdered in cold blood, for over a thousand dollars of outrageous fees! On top of an already nearly impossible demand of payment in full of an auto loan in a matter of weeks!
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2011/05/murder_suicide_highlands_38th_bryant.php

Over-Head
06-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Its the recession man, hard times in big businmess, every dollar counts!

HemiEd
06-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Toyota needs the money to settle all of those lawsuits, due to the cars accelerating out of control, and killing people.

Otter
06-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Do a little research and post the email and phone number of who should be contacted. If it's in the blog, well that's blocked at work for me but I'm sure it will get a couple more responses if the contact info is readily available.

blaise
06-16-2011, 06:46 AM
I don't know if it would work for Toyota, but I once tweeted something negative about a company, and someone from their company tweeted to me to ask if they could do anything to rectify the situation.

eazyb81
06-16-2011, 07:02 AM
You think Japan is going to rebuild itself?

Phobia
06-16-2011, 07:33 AM
Pay cash for the car and then you wouldn't have these kind of problems you idiots. /idiotraiderfanfromNCwhomI'vealreadyforgottenhisname

tomahawk kid
06-16-2011, 08:07 AM
100% driven by the spike in used car prices.

Sick.

ReynardMuldrake
06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Local news stations cream their pants when they hear about stories like this. Seriously, have them contact the media, they'll be all over it.

Chief Pote
06-16-2011, 09:58 AM
How long did the car sit in the impound lot? The story lends you to believe that it was a short waiting period? Must have been a real long time.

Saul Good
06-16-2011, 11:18 AM
It sucks, but that's the way it works. Chase isn't going to give the son the house, and Toyota isn't going to give him the car. They offered him the first opportunity to purchase it. He doesn't have to pull the cash out of his pocket. He can get a loan. What does he really expect them to do?

Bugeater
06-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Meh...it's not his car. It is a bit shady but it's not like the guy is out anything. They should give the stuff his mother had in the car back to him though.

Pitt Gorilla
06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
What the hell is "randsom"?

Valiant
06-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Post this on consumerist.com

It will get taken care of quickly.

Otter
06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
What the hell is "randsom"?

"ransom" misspelled.

See what I did there? Never try to win anything on Wheel of Fortune.

We're you able to interpret anything after that? Let me know I'll fill ya in.

Fish
06-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Just weeks after the mother was tragically murdered, and their main concern is acquiring the dead mother's car?

Something is wrong here...

vailpass
06-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend losing his mom like that DC.
Posted via Mobile Device

WV
06-16-2011, 01:53 PM
There's more to the story here....

Gonzo
06-16-2011, 02:08 PM
**Yawn**

The only thing he can legally do here is go to small claims about his mother's stuff.

It's just another form of the same old story. Big companies hating on the little guy.

ClevelandBronco
06-16-2011, 02:13 PM
It sucks, but that's the way it works. Chase isn't going to give the son the house, and Toyota isn't going to give him the car. They offered him the first opportunity to purchase it. He doesn't have to pull the cash out of his pocket. He can get a loan. What does he really expect them to do?

This. Exactly this.

kysirsoze
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Well.... return her stuff for one. Also, according to the OP they said he could assume her loan and he was cool with that. It's the fact that they want a lump payment of the whole amount or they sell it off that seems like bullshit. Could be more to the story but it sounds like Toyota wants to keep what his mom paid on the car and turn around and sell it off for more than what she still owed.

ClevelandBronco
06-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Well.... return her stuff for one. Also, according to the OP they said he could assume her loan and he was cool with that. It's the fact that they want a lump payment of the whole amount or they sell it off that seems like bullshit. Could be more to the story but it sounds like Toyota wants to keep what his mom paid on the car and turn around and sell it off for more than what she still owed.

Yeah, Toyota's been hoping for decades that they'd catch a break like this. I wonder what they'll do with the windfall.

Saul Good
06-16-2011, 02:26 PM

He had the opportunity to collect her things from the lot and didn't. Toyota Financial Services doesn't have 10,000 safe deposit boxes for storing everyone's repo'd crap.

Of course they want a lump sum. That's how cars are sold. If you don't have the money to pay the lump sum, you get a loan.

They aren't going to make money on the deal. Anything the car brings in excess of what is owed goes back to the mother's estate. There won't be any, though. Toyota will lose thousands on this deal.

There are 300,000,000 people in this country, and half of them will owe money on their car when they die. Does everyone get a freebie? 150,000,000 cars when they do?

kysirsoze
06-16-2011, 02:29 PM
He had the opportunity to collect her things from the lot and didn't. Toyota Financial Services doesn't have 10,000 safe deposit boxes for storing everyone's repo'd crap.

Of course they want a lump sum. That's how cars are sold. If you don't have the money to pay the lump sum, you get a loan.

They aren't going to make money on the deal. Anything the car brings in excess of what is owed goes back to the mother's estate. There won't be any, though. Toyota will lose thousands on this deal.

There are 300,000,000 people in this country, and half of them will owe money on their car when they die. Does everyone get a freebie? 150,000,000 cars when they do?

Okay, so you're saying that the whole part about him assuming the loan is bullshit? I don't know much about estate law, so I'm honestly asking.

kysirsoze
06-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah, Toyota's been hoping for decades that they'd catch a break like this. I wonder what they'll do with the windfall.

Well if it's SOP and this happens as often as Saul suggests, then that is a lot of money. If they will lose thousands as Saul also suggests, then I retract the statement. Can't know for sure, but the small amount still owed on the car makes me think they can sell it for more than that.

Pitt Gorilla
06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
We're you able to interpret anything after that? You are what? ;)

BWillie
06-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Toyota needs the money to settle all of those lawsuits, due to the cars accelerating out of control, and killing people.

It's not all Toyota...those are just the ones that you hear about...

ChiefsCountry
06-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Ironically Ford, GM and Chrysler all had the same problems as well but the Obama's government went after Toyota. I heard this from a Ford dealer owner and Chevy dealer owner on seperate occassions.

Hydrae
06-16-2011, 03:23 PM
It's not all Toyota...those are just the ones that you hear about...

Just because the problem was with the accelerator itself and the manufacturer was American that sold to several different manufacturers of cars doesn't mean it is not all Toyota's fault. After all, their CEO had to appear before the US Congress for these issues.

Repeat, the problem was with Toyota, NOT the American maker of the defective parts!

[/sarcasm]

BWillie
06-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Ironically Ford, GM and Chrysler all had the same problems as well but the Obama's government went after Toyota. I heard this from a Ford dealer owner and Chevy dealer owner on seperate occassions.

This, exactly.

Dylan
06-16-2011, 10:39 PM
DenverChief:

It appears your friend is dealing with a car dealer, franchised by Toyota to sell their cars. Car manufacturers don't sell cars to consumers. Also, keep in mind, dealers don't finance loans to consumers. Dealers screen consumers for credit loans as a service. Finance approval is based on a customer's credit history. Those with limited credit history can find their own financing with a credit union or bank.

There is no question, when someone dies the estate of the deceased is responsible for any debt left behind. If there is enough money in the estate to cover the loan, consult a lawyer. Unfortunetely, it sounds like the dealer repossessed the car.

With deepest sympathy over the loss of your friend's mother.

My best,

Dylan

How to recover personal items left in a car:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8477833_recover-personal-items-repossession.html

Bugeater
06-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Calm down everyone...

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-toyota-reposses-murdered-womans-car-20110616,0,5530467.story

The bad PR resulted in Toyota calling Knudsen Thursday afternoon and agreeing to waive the fees and work with him on paying off the loan.

DenverChief
06-17-2011, 04:59 AM
[QUOTE=Dylan;7702322]DenverChief:

It appears your friend is dealing with a car dealer, franchised by Toyota to sell their cars. Car manufacturers don't sell cars to consumers. Also, keep in mind, dealers don't finance loans to consumers. Dealers screen consumers for credit loans as a service. Finance approval is based on a customer's credit history. Those with limited credit history can find their own financing with a credit union or bank.
/QUOTE]

Incorrect. It was toyota financial services that held the loan

Al Bundy
06-17-2011, 06:38 AM
Calm down everyone...

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-toyota-reposses-murdered-womans-car-20110616,0,5530467.story

That is generally how you get things done.

DenverChief
06-17-2011, 04:56 PM
That is generally how you get things done.

Bingo

<object id="flashObj" width="486" height="412" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=998092324001&playerID=34762914001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAB_wnNRk~,WN9MweAQd_tBaI99JKgDAcW3bUx7peWv&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=998092324001&playerID=34762914001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAB_wnNRk~,WN9MweAQd_tBaI99JKgDAcW3bUx7peWv&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

DenverChief
06-17-2011, 04:58 PM
[quote=Dylan;7702322]DenverChief:

/QUOTE]

Incorrect. It was toyota financial services that held the loan

test