PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Free agent C Casey Wiegmann is participating in players-only workouts with the Chiefs

royr17
06-17-2011, 01:07 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/kc/?r=1

Free agent C Casey Wiegmann is participating in players-only workouts with the Chiefs this week.

Wiegmann entered the offseason contemplating retirement. Soon to be 38, the 14-year veteran hasn't publicly stated that he'll return to Kansas City, but his presence at the workouts is a pretty good indication that he'll play one more season.

RealSNR
06-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Casey, I love you. I really do. But I really hope Rod Hudson beats your ass down and takes your starting spot. Nothing personal.

spanky 52
06-17-2011, 03:01 AM
I'm with SNR on this one. Good to see Hudson and J Brown in KC working out with the team.

salame
06-17-2011, 03:04 AM
If hudson doesn't beat him out we have a probrem

-King-
06-17-2011, 04:14 AM
If hudson doesn't beat him out we have a probrem

Not really. Casey is always good to start the season. It's when he starts declining half way that we'll have a problem.

tmax63
06-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Who was it that taught CW to be a center his rookie year? Was it Webster? Hopefully he takes Hudson under his wing and gives him 5 yrs worth of knowledge this year and continues the circle.

milkman
06-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Who was it that taught CW to be a center his rookie year? Was it Webster? Hopefully he takes Hudson under his wing and gives him 5 yrs worth of knowledge this year and continues the circle.

Mike Webster?

Only missed him by about 12 years.

Ebolapox
06-17-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm with SNR on this one. Good to see Hudson and J Brown in KC working out with the team.

who the hell is J Brown? jim brown is practicing with us?

Kerberos
06-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Mike Webster?

Only missed him by about 12 years.

I was about to look this up as the math didn't add up in my mind either. Great catch.

Flipp'n n00bs. :shake:

Ace Gunner
06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
jalil brown - 2011 draftee

Ebolapox
06-17-2011, 08:05 AM
oh, THAT j brown. that cornerback we drafted.

milkman
06-17-2011, 08:05 AM
who the hell is J Brown? jim brown is practicing with us?

Jalil Brown, the Chiefs 4th round pick.

Ebolapox
06-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Jalil Brown, the Chiefs 4th round pick.

little late on the draw this morning?

milkman
06-17-2011, 08:11 AM
little late on the draw this morning?

Couldn't remember the kid's first name.

Ebolapox
06-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Couldn't remember the kid's first name.

me either, apparently. after baldwin, hudson and powe, this draft class was all gravy for me.

milkman
06-17-2011, 08:17 AM
me either, apparently. after baldwin, hudson and powe, this draft class was all gravy for me.

What about Houston?

beach tribe
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
What about Houston?

Killer draft.

Ace Gunner
06-17-2011, 08:28 AM
with wiegmann out, rudy was playing center. pretty sure there's your answer who will play center if casey doesn't. hudson might b playing b/u guard for a lil while

milkman
06-17-2011, 08:39 AM
with wiegmann out, rudy was playing center. pretty sure there's your answer who will play center if casey doesn't. hudson might b playing b/u guard for a lil while

If Niswanger never takes a another snap at center, it will be too soon.

The guy is a useless, pathetic excuse for a center.

If Wiegman were to retire (which is looking highly unlikely now), if Rodney Hudson couldn't beat out Niswanger for the job out of camp, he will have been a terrible draft pick.

Okie_Apparition
06-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Wiegman knew couldn't retire until he felt the warmth of Stanzi's All-American hand under his buttocks

beach tribe
06-17-2011, 08:55 AM

I don't think a player run practice has shit to say about who will be playing where.

Okie_Apparition
06-17-2011, 09:02 AM
This thread is still better than the "Let's give the rookies nicknames" thread. That would have taken it's place by this time if practices would have taken place.

RealSNR
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
This thread is still better than the "Let's give the rookies nicknames" thread. That would have taken it's place by this time if practices would have taken place.
Rod "Rock" Hudson.

Duh.

Coogs
06-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Here is a list of players who attended from Gretz, and links to two pretty good articles about the practice from Gretz.

CALLING THE ROLL

There was no official charting of who was on the field for Thursday morning’s session, but here was the role call from what I saw at the Bishop Miege High School stadium:

Quarterbacks (3) – Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko and Ricky Stanzi.

Running backs (4) – Jamaal Charles, Mike Cox, Thomas Jones and Dexter McCluster.

Wide receivers (4) – Jonathan Baldwin, Dwayne Bowe, Verran Tucker, Jerheme Urban.

Tight end (5) – Brad Cottam, Tony Moeaki, Jake O’Connell, Leonard Pope, Cody Slate.

Offensive line (8) – Jon Asamoah, Bobby Greenwood, Darryl Harris, Rodney Hudson, Ryan Lilja, Rudy Niswanger, Ryan O’Callaghan, Casey Wiegmann.

Defensive line (5) – Glenn Dorsey, Wallace Gilberry, Tyson Jackson, Shaun Smith, Anthony Toribio.

Linebackers (8) – Jovan Belcher, Justin Cole, Cory Greenwood, Justin Houston, Derrick Johnson, Corey Mays, Andy Studebaker, Pierre Walters.

Secondary (8) – Javier Arenas, Eric Berry, Jalil Brown, Brandon Flowers, Reshard Langford, Quentin Lawrence, Kendrick Lewis, Donald Washington.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/make-work-%e2%80%a6-morning-cup-o%e2%80%99chiefs.html#more-21020

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/watching-a-lockout-practice.html

And one other note. Somewhere I read where Powe was also at practice. I'll see if I can find that report.

milkman
06-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Rod "Rock" Hudson.

Duh.

I am so not stealing this.

Coogs
06-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Here is the article that says Powe was there from the KC Star...

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/06/16/2955842/locked-in-cassel-leads-chiefs.html

This paragraph is about half way down in the article...

Most of the Chiefs’ recent draft picks, none of whom is signed to an NFL contract, participated with their theoretical teammates Thursday. First-round pick Jon Baldwin ran a fly route and lined up opposite Dwayne Bowe. Second-round offensive lineman Rodney Hudson lined up with his future teammates. Sixth-round nose tackle Jerrell Powe wore a backward hat and plugged the middle of the defense.

DJ's left nut
06-17-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm as excited to see Brad Cottam's name on that list as anyone's, honestly.

I really hope he can get his career going again. The kid obviously has potential and was just starting to show it before that freak neck injury.

RealSNR
06-17-2011, 09:26 AM
I am so not stealing this.You don't have to. It's a gift. It's yours, now.

milkman
06-17-2011, 09:35 AM
You don't have to. It's a gift. It's yours, now.

It's like fruitcake.

Dave Lane
06-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Killer draft.

I give Herm all the credit for this draft...

FD
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Here is a list of players who attended from Gretz, and links to two pretty good articles about the practice from Gretz.

CALLING THE ROLL

There was no official charting of who was on the field for Thursday morning’s session, but here was the role call from what I saw at the Bishop Miege High School stadium:

Quarterbacks (3) – Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko and Ricky Stanzi.

Running backs (4) – Jamaal Charles, Mike Cox, Thomas Jones and Dexter McCluster.

Wide receivers (4) – Jonathan Baldwin, Dwayne Bowe, Verran Tucker, Jerheme Urban.

Tight end (5) – Brad Cottam, Tony Moeaki, Jake O’Connell, Leonard Pope, Cody Slate.

Offensive line (8) – Jon Asamoah, Bobby Greenwood, Darryl Harris, Rodney Hudson, Ryan Lilja, Rudy Niswanger, Ryan O’Callaghan, Casey Wiegmann.

Defensive line (5) – Glenn Dorsey, Wallace Gilberry, Tyson Jackson, Shaun Smith, Anthony Toribio.

Linebackers (8) – Jovan Belcher, Justin Cole, Cory Greenwood, Justin Houston, Derrick Johnson, Corey Mays, Andy Studebaker, Pierre Walters.

Secondary (8) – Javier Arenas, Eric Berry, Jalil Brown, Brandon Flowers, Reshard Langford, Quentin Lawrence, Kendrick Lewis, Donald Washington.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/make-work-%e2%80%a6-morning-cup-o%e2%80%99chiefs.html#more-21020

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/watching-a-lockout-practice.html

And one other note. Somewhere I read where Powe was also at practice. I'll see if I can find that report.

Hate to see Albert not there. Also, no Mcgraw? Wasn't he supposed to be one of the organizers?

Coogs
06-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Hate to see Albert not there. Also, no Mcgraw? Wasn't he supposed to be one of the organizers?

McGraw was there. He and DJ were in charge of the defense. It is in at least one of the three links that I listed.

Ace Gunner
06-17-2011, 11:09 AM

If Wiegman were to retire (which is looking highly unlikely now), if Rodney Hudson couldn't beat out Niswanger for the job out of camp, he will have been a terrible draft pick.

I've read that b4 on the internet. looks like hate to me. take a look at this;

As one of the best interior offensive line prospects in the 2011 NFL draft, Florida State’s Rodney Hudson should be one of the first guards off the board.

Hudson, a 6'2", 299-pound combination guard and center, was a four-year starter for the Seminoles and was named First Team All-ACC in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Most impressively, Hudson was a unanimous First Team All-American in 2010.

Scouts love Hudson’s athleticism and balance, noting that he plays with great quickness and agility for his frame. He is viewed as one of the better blocking technicians in this draft class and one of the draft’s most intelligent prospects, able to play multiple positions across the interior line equally well. Hudson generates good push from the position yet is still nimble enough to pull and get in front of the ballcarrier, paving the way at the second level.

Though skilled in many areas, Hudson is not particularly dominant in any, and also lacks substantial bulk for the position. Of greatest concern, perhaps, is a checkered medical history that, though full of mostly minor issues, does feature a few knee injuries.

Hudson is one of the safest picks of the 2011 NFL draft and is versatile enough to play guard or center at the pro level. He will immediately compete for playing time at Kansas City.

Pick Grade: A-

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/684803-rodney-hudson-to-kansas-city-chiefs-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report

I know rudy needs to burn at the stake for whatever, but hudson might b delayed in taking over at that center position, is all I'm saying. I think he's a good LG. if you follow the link, you'll see a video there showing his play at LG & C... I'd post it for you, but the site controls won't allow me .. hint..

Ace Gunner
06-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't think a player run practice has shit to say about who will be playing where.

thx 4 sharing

milkman
06-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I've read that b4 on the internet. looks like hate to me. take a look at this;

As one of the best interior offensive line prospects in the 2011 NFL draft, Florida State’s Rodney Hudson should be one of the first guards off the board.

Hudson, a 6'2", 299-pound combination guard and center, was a four-year starter for the Seminoles and was named First Team All-ACC in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Most impressively, Hudson was a unanimous First Team All-American in 2010.

Scouts love Hudson’s athleticism and balance, noting that he plays with great quickness and agility for his frame. He is viewed as one of the better blocking technicians in this draft class and one of the draft’s most intelligent prospects, able to play multiple positions across the interior line equally well. Hudson generates good push from the position yet is still nimble enough to pull and get in front of the ballcarrier, paving the way at the second level.

Though skilled in many areas, Hudson is not particularly dominant in any, and also lacks substantial bulk for the position. Of greatest concern, perhaps, is a checkered medical history that, though full of mostly minor issues, does feature a few knee injuries.

Hudson is one of the safest picks of the 2011 NFL draft and is versatile enough to play guard or center at the pro level. He will immediately compete for playing time at Kansas City.

Pick Grade: A-

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/684803-rodney-hudson-to-kansas-city-chiefs-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report

I know rudy needs to burn at the stake for whatever, but hudson might b delayed in taking over at that center position, is all I'm saying. I think he's a good LG. if you follow the link, you'll see a video there showing his play at LG & C... I'd post it for you, but the site controls won't allow me .. hint..

The post had absolutely nothing to do with Hudson.
I follow the draft, and research the players, so I'm familar with Hudson.

That post was all about Niswanger's epic suckage.

The Franchise
06-17-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm as excited to see Brad Cottam's name on that list as anyone's, honestly.

I really hope he can get his career going again. The kid obviously has potential and was just starting to show it before that freak neck injury.

This.

Cottam and Moeaki would be a nice lineup for a double TE set.

Arsonist
06-17-2011, 11:12 AM
$$

Ace Gunner
06-17-2011, 11:25 AM

The post had absolutely nothing to do with Hudson.
I follow the draft, and research the players, so I'm familar with Hudson.

That post was all about Niswanger's epic suckage.

cmon man lol

SPATCH
06-17-2011, 11:31 AM
what's up with these football threads?

milkman
06-17-2011, 11:35 AM
cmon man lol

I used Hudson to make a point.

Ebolapox
06-17-2011, 11:39 AM
What about Houston?

an unexpected gift into the lap. hope he can stay sober.

beach tribe
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
thx 4 sharing

In that case, I'll share some more.

Hudson will be our starting C at some point. NiceWanger was one the organizers of the event, and was already the back up center, but I would look to him to be the one moving to G depth until Casey actually does retire.

My Guess is Casey starts the season at C, and Hudson is worked in with his role increasing more, and more as the season goes on, and takes over full C responsibilities either this season or next

BigCatDaddy
06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Interesting to see Shaun Smith there since he was a UFA after the season ended.

beach tribe
06-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Interesting to see Shaun Smith there since he was a UFA after the season ended.

Wants to remain a Chief apparently. This could go a long way in the eyes of a guy like Pioli I would guess.
I really think this team has great chemistry.

BigCatDaddy
06-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Wants to remain a Chief apparently. This could go a long way in the eyes of a guy like Pioli I would guess.
I really think this team has great chemistry.

Yeah, and it makes you wonder how much unofficial communication may have been going on.

beach tribe
06-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, and it makes you wonder how much unofficial communication may have been going on.

I've thought about that, and how Haley probably has a pre-paid phone.

RealSNR
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Interesting to see Shaun Smith there since he was a UFA after the season ended.When was the last time a guy wanted more than anything to be a Kansas City Chief? A Chief, specifically, not just a football player. Rookies don't count.

Ace Gunner
06-17-2011, 12:39 PM
In that case, I'll share some more.

Hudson will be our starting C at some point. NiceWanger was one the organizers of the event, and was already the back up center, but I would look to him to be the one moving to G depth until Casey actually does retire.

My Guess is Casey starts the season at C, and Hudson is worked in with his role increasing more, and more as the season goes on, and takes over full C responsibilities either this season or next

k. my guess is the staff would rather have an experienced center with the young struggling offense. if casey plays, great. the offense's engine will b intact another season, which will help matty c. if not, I would not expect hudson will play center. I got no prefs to rudy, but if wiegmann retires or sits, they'll likely go after somebody else with experience unless they like rudy. hudson might have had a chance during a regular off season, I don't think he has even a remote chance in reality. not at center. I wouldn't b surprised if he plays guard this season tho. not at all. in fact, as the report says, he's as good a guard as he needs to b and should b able to play there at the NFL level starting his first season.

this offense struggled last season. don't make it seem like they're prolific or something. Jamaal is the man. Bowe was, but disappeared when they really needed him. matty c did too. they still got problems at the helm on the field & having those two vets in that center position helps matty c, no matter what. I'd expect the staff agrees

BigCatDaddy
06-17-2011, 12:40 PM
I've thought about that, and how Haley probably has a pre-paid phone.

I was thinking more along the lines of Pioli has a "friend" that knows Smith's agent or something.

BigCatDaddy
06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
When was the last time a guy wanted more than anything to be a Kansas City Chief? A Chief, specifically, not just a football player. Rookies don't count.

Probably back to the DV days. He seemed to have a unique bond with players that a lot of coaches don't have, but it was more to do with him then the "Franchise".

beach tribe
06-17-2011, 12:51 PM
k. my guess is the staff would rather have an experienced center with the young struggling offense. if casey plays, great. the offense's engine will b intact another season, which will help matty c. if not, I would not expect hudson will play center. I got no prefs to rudy, but if wiegmann retires or sits, they'll likely go after somebody else with experience unless they like rudy. hudson might have had a chance during a regular off season, I don't think he has even a remote chance in reality. not at center. I wouldn't b surprised if he plays guard this season tho. not at all. in fact, as the report says, he's as good a guard as he needs to b and should b able to play there at the NFL level starting his first season.

this offense struggled last season. don't make it seem like they're prolific or something. Jamaal is the man. Bowe was, but disappeared when they really needed him. matty c did too. they still got problems at the helm on the field & having those two vets in that center position helps matty c, no matter what. I'd expect the staff agrees
Inexperience is the only reason, I did not say Hudson would be starting day 1, but make no mistake, Casey will be mentoring him, and he IS our COTF.
I have no response to you saying that Hudson has no chance at C. I think it makes no sense whatsoever. None.

BigCatDaddy
06-17-2011, 12:54 PM

He won't be playing G unless Lilja or Asamoah really suck or get hurt this year. My guess he is takes over at C sometime during the season.

With the Chiefs he will start his NFL career at center, according to GM Scott Pioli.

“There’s the chance we’ll start him off at center,” Pioli said. “Not the starting center, but he’ll start there with us to begin practice at center.”

The Franchise
06-17-2011, 01:02 PM

This bugs the shit out of me.....

If you're typing the "b"....how fucking hard is it to type the "e"?

beach tribe
06-17-2011, 01:02 PM
He won't be playing G unless Lilja or Asamoah really suck or get hurt this year. My guess he is takes over at C sometime during the season.

With the Chiefs he will start his NFL career at center, according to GM Scott Pioli.

“There’s the chance we’ll start him off at center,” Pioli said. “Not the starting center, but he’ll start there with us to begin practice at center.”

Exactly my train of thought. And you're right, Pioli did hint toward him starting out training at C, and our huge need for Center was one of the driving forces behind the pick, I'd imagine.

beach tribe
06-17-2011, 01:03 PM

If you're typing the "b"....how ****ing hard is it to type the "e"?

I was going to say something about his posts looking like a 14 year old girl's text messages, but just left it alone.

Sofa King
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM

If you're typing the "b"....how ****ing hard is it to type the "e"?

Dont b like dat

beach tribe
06-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Wurd.

okiedokieokoye
06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Probably going to get bashed for this, but has anyone heard of any of the special teams players making an appearance? I love Succop and Colquitt and it would be nice to make sure they are getting their reps in as well. Plus it wouldn't hurt to have ol' Javier work on his returns...

Coogs
06-17-2011, 01:46 PM
A couple of weeks ago or so, I read/heard an interview with Succop. He said he is kicking everyday just like he would be if they were in a normal offseason. So rest easy on that one.

Ebolapox
06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
too bad brandon carr isn't there.

KurtCobain
06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
No Albert either. Fuck that fat dude.

rocknrolla
06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Yea. Fat ass!
All of this football talk is giving me a chubby.

ModSocks
06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
too bad brandon carr isn't there.

No Albert either. **** that fat dude.

Just because they aren't on that list doesn't mean they weren't there. That list has already been proven to be incomplete.

Ebolapox
06-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Just because they aren't on that list doesn't mean they weren't there. That list has already been proven to be incomplete.

yeah, I had thought about that after posting.

milkman
06-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Bob Gretz lists players that weren't there in the links that Coogs posted in another thread, and Carr and Albert were both no shows.

Really disappointing.

milkman
06-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Sorry, it was in thsi thread that Coogs posted the links.

This from the first linked stry.

There were seven starters who did not show up. The fact that LG Brian Waters and OLB Mike Vrabel were no shows was not a surprise, given their active participation in the negotiations between players and the league. RT Barry Richardson, NT Ron Edwards, OLB Tamba Hali and CB Brandon Carr are all without contracts, so they may have been counseled to not risk injury by taking part in the sessions. Other players without contracts did take part, but they were all backups with the exception of C Casey Wiegmann.
Beyond a major personal problem/situation, nothing explains the absence of LT Branden Albert. He has a contract and he’s also a guy that we know has to be careful when it comes to his weight. Albert tends to get big, and Haley and the Chiefs want him to be lighter. Same with LB Demorrio Williams – he was not seen on Thursday; as a veteran holding on to a roster spot by his fingertips, he needed to be there. It’s the same with WR Chris Chambers, although his future may have been written when he was inactive for the Baltimore game in the playoffs.

Titty Meat
06-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Wiegmann sucks

Easy 6
06-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Not really. Casey is always good to start the season. It's when he starts declining half way that we'll have a problem.

Yeah this.

But the good news is that he'll be grooming his replacement all the while, so by the time he does start to wear down Hudson will have had some time to watch & learn before being thrown to the lions.

I'm glad Casey looks to be returning, he'll get us off on the right foot to start the season.

Backwards Masking
06-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Never had an issue with Casey except the occasional missed black / blown assignment, which happens to everyone (except a healthy Big Willie Roaf - that man was an OL god). Glad to see not only he's returning but showing enthusiasm returning as well.

Brock
06-17-2011, 05:28 PM
What I'm curious about is whether they drafted a guard or a center.

Mr. Laz
06-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Ideally they sign Wiegmann back for a reasonable 1-year type deal and he can be our starting center/teacher for the first part of the season. Then just about the time he normally starts to wear down, the rookie comes in and takes his starting job.

I would like to have a little more power at that position.

Mr. Laz
06-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Wiegmann sucks
no, he doesn't.

He is just limited by lack of natural size and age.