PDA

View Full Version : Life I survived in the wild!

Rain Man
06-19-2011, 09:16 PM
It was me, ClevelandBronco, and a couple of other folks out in the wilderness, pitted against the elements and the other 30 or so groups at our campsite cluster.

The main things I learned in my camping experience.

1. Don't forget your flashlight.

2. When it's really windy and rainy, remember to zip up your tent completely.

3. ClevelandBronco is a combination of Kit Carson, Jim Bridger, and Sacajawea. Without him I would not have survived. He knew how to put up a tent. He knew how to take down a tent. He knew all the stuff in between. I think at one point he lured a bear away from my tent.

4. Campsites are the last bastion of American trust. You walk around in the morning and there are bicycles, ball gloves, coolers, and all sorts of other stuff lying around, and no one steals stuff.

5. Campers are friendly people in general.

6. Seriously, zip up your tent completely when it's windy and rainy.

7. When you're trapped in your tent by driving rain and high winds, a bag of potato chips and a bottle of water are a pretty satisfying meal.

8. When the weather is nice, camping is kind of fun, especially when you wake up at first light and step outside your tent and see a serene lake with steep forested hills all around.

9. Sleeping in your wet clothes isn't as comfortable as sleeping in dry clothes.

10. Dogs enjoy campsites. A lot.

I may have to try this camping stuff again at some point.

Dave Lane
06-19-2011, 09:44 PM
It rocks headed out there soon.

Bugeater
06-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Congrats on not getting eaten by that bear.

bowener
06-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Is this the bear ClevelandBronco lured away??

http://images.wikia.com/wikiality/images/5/5c/Gay_Bear_Naval_Guy.jpg

You should consider yourself lucky this bear didn't get a hold of you, sir.

Dartgod
06-19-2011, 10:05 PM
The #1 reason why I kick your ass at camping...

https://www.terrytownrv.com/cf/shopmast/productdetailp.cfm?productid=367

Easy 6
06-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Did CB piss on a handkerchief & wrap it around his head for protection? if not i call fake on his so-called outdoorsmanship...

chefsos
06-19-2011, 10:24 PM

https://www.terrytownrv.com/cf/shopmast/productdetailp.cfm?productid=367I think you've got some tent caught up in your tire treads there.

Rain Man
06-19-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a bear.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-19-2011, 10:25 PM
I always pictured Cleveland Bronco looking like Ghandi. Please confirm or deny.

Rain Man
06-19-2011, 10:30 PM

Probably closer to Nehru. With maybe some Jim Bridger and Kit Carson mixed in.

ClevelandBronco
06-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Was that a bear? I thought it was Joe.

ClevelandBronco
06-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Did CB piss on a handkerchief & wrap it around his head for protection? if not i call fake on his so-called outdoorsmanship...

No need. Joe pissed himself, I believe.

ClevelandBronco
06-19-2011, 11:17 PM

A bit like an older, shorter Kieffer Sutherland with a bigger nose and a bad haircut.

DMAC
06-19-2011, 11:36 PM

Gay.

KurtCobain
06-19-2011, 11:39 PM

You might as well stay in a hotel room by a lake.

That's not camping.

You're cheating worse than the 97 Broncos.

TinyEvel
06-20-2011, 12:35 AM

weeeeeeeak. That ain't camping. That's trailer park living, temporarily.

Over-Head
06-20-2011, 05:19 AM
You went camping with a Bronco fan, i'm surprised you didn't wake up with grass stains on your knees :p

Over-Head
06-20-2011, 05:23 AM
You might as well stay in a hotel room by a lake.

That's not camping.

You're cheating worse than the 97 Broncos.

I see nothing wrong here.....

Bob Dole
06-20-2011, 05:45 AM

He's not sure where to mount the receiver for that on his apricot BMW...

KurtCobain
06-20-2011, 06:05 AM
weeeeeeeak. That ain't camping. That's trailer park living, temporarily.

That's George Jefferson trailer park living.

mlyonsd
06-20-2011, 06:20 AM
Being from denver were you surprised Starbuck's didn't have a store located in the park?

Ace Gunner
06-20-2011, 06:34 AM
beer & chips are more satisfying .. jus sayin

Gonzo
06-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Man, you really are hard up for office space, huh?

Heh, I've always been an outdoorsman, I can light a fire with wet newspaper and a rock. I know all the survival techniques and when to apply them. I'm a big hunter and love the wilderness.
That being said, I've always hated camping for some reason. The bugs, the lack of sanitation and the elements really piss me off. I'm somewhat of a homebody, you might say. I'll go on a hunting trip but would rather drive 5 hours home to get in front of my big screen than to set camp.
I'm sure that'll change once my boy gets older, though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane
06-20-2011, 08:10 AM
I think it was this bear you saw. Good thing you weren't in uniform.

Dartgod
06-20-2011, 08:14 AM
He's not sure where to mount the receiver for that on his apricot BMW...
Duh, on the roof.

But he might want to beef up his suspension first.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-20-2011, 08:21 AM

I saw that episode.

One day I'm going to move into the wilderness (if there's any left by one day), grow my beard to my waist and say so long to society. I'm going to be a modern day Grizzly Adams. Grizzly noonan. Not that the local wildlife will care what my name is. I give myself about 6 months to survive... maybe. I'm curious to know how much watching Survivorman, Bear Grylls and Dual Survival on Discovery can actually apply to real life.

Rain Man
06-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Was that a bear? I thought it was Joe.

Waaaaait a minute. I bet you're right. That would explain a lot.

boogblaster
06-20-2011, 08:59 AM
camping is great .. in any weather .. luv that fresh brewed camp-coffee first thing in the morning ....

tooge
06-20-2011, 09:02 AM
I saw that episode.

One day I'm going to move into the wilderness (if there's any left by one day), grow my beard to my waist and say so long to society. I'm going to be a modern day Grizzly Adams. Grizzly noonan. Not that the local wildlife will care what my name is. I give myself about 6 months to survive... maybe. I'm curious to know how much watching Survivorman, Bear Grylls and Dual Survival on Discovery can actually apply to real life.

Probably some, but not as much as you might think. They can't replicate the mental part of being lost and alone, which is actually what causes people to make mistakes that cost them their lives.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Probably some, but not as much as you might think. They can't replicate the mental part of being lost and alone, which is actually what causes people to make mistakes that cost them their lives.

I would agree. I wonder how different it is though if you're where you are on purpose, not just stuck in the woods/other remote location. It's something I actually think about and have always been interested in, although I'll likely never do it. If you go in prepared it's certainly going to help... but how much after some time...? Maybe I'll just go all survivorman a few times and test it out lol.

LiveSteam
06-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Hope you had enough sense to run around the camp site naked & mark your territory.

patteeu
06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
I generally like reading about camping trips better than living them. If everything goes right (especially the weather), then camping can be a great time. In my experience, everything (especially the weather) rarely goes right. Although I suspect that Colorado camping is a lot more fun than the hot, humid, insect infested version we have here in Missouri.