PDA

View Full Version : Football ESPN: Ranking the AFC West defensive linemen

Ugly Duck
06-20-2011, 06:55 PM
ESPN's Bill Williamson ranks Tyson Jackson at #9 - almost as high as his draft position! Well, sorta kinda....

1. Richard Seymour, Oakland: He is the class of the division. He is aging, but he is still a brilliant player.

2. Glenn Dorsey, Kansas City: He made great strides in 2010, his third NFL season. He had adjusted well to the 3-4 defense and he is the anchor to a young defense.

3. Tommy Kelly, Oakland: Kelly had his best NFL season in 2010 and he pairs very nicely with Seymour. He is tough when he is motivated.

4. Elvis Dumervil, Denver: Dumervil is back to end in a 4-3 after excelling in a 3-4 defense. He struggles against the run, but he is a force as a pass-rusher.

5. Lamarr Houston, Oakland: I really like this player. The second-year player is a potential star.

6. Antonio Garay, San Diego: Garay had a terrific season in 2010. He is a tremendous nose tackle.

7. Luis Castillo, San Diego: Castillo is a solid player, but I’d like to see more impact plays.

8. Matt Shaughnessy, Oakland: He’s another fine young player for Oakland. He has made the most of his opportunities.

9. Tyson Jackson, Kansas City: Jackson has been just so-so. This is a huge season for the No. 3 overall pick of the 2009 draft.

10. Corey Liuget, San Diego: The No. 18 overall pick of the 2011 draft will start at end and he will get a chance to make an immediate impact.

11. Wallace Gilberry, Kansas City: He’s is an underrated player. He can get sacks in bunches.

12. John Henderson, Oakland: He is aging, but he can still help Oakland as a run stuffer.

13. Robert Ayers, Denver: This is a big season for Ayers, the No. 18 pick in 2009. New coach John Fox likes him, so he’ll get a chance to start.

14. Trevor Scott, Oakland: Scott has a chance to be very good. He has natural pass-rushing ability.

15. Ron Edwards, Kansas City: He’s steady. The Chiefs want more help at tackle, but Edwards is OK.

16. Shaun Smith, Kansas City: The Chiefs need to bring him back. He can make an impact.

17. Marcus Thomas, Denver: Denver wants this free agent back.

18. Allen Bailey, Kansas City: The Chiefs are very excited about this third-round pick. He could play right away.

19. Kevin Vickerson, Denver: Denver re-signed him in March.

20. Vaughn Martin, San Diego: It’s time for this project to make a move.

21. Cam Thomas, San Diego: The Chargers still have high hopes for this second-year player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/27913/ranking-the-defensive-linemen

Hammock Parties
06-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Tyson Jackson is better than Wallace Gilberry and Shaun Smith? Get the fuck out.

Chiefspants
06-20-2011, 06:57 PM
As much as I love seeing Dorsey at number 2, Tyson Jackson's insanely high ranking causes this list to lose all of its credibility.

Ugly Duck
06-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Tyson Jackson is better than Wallace Gilberry and Shaun Smith? Get the **** out.

Hey now, the dude was the #3 pick....

veist
06-20-2011, 07:00 PM

And I don't think anyone on here will defend taking him that high.

KurtCobain
06-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Cam Thomas is the trash can.

Ace Gunner
06-20-2011, 07:09 PM
switch dorsey & garay I'm ok with that list..

Ace Gunner
06-20-2011, 07:13 PM
wait a minute.. he's listing corey liuget on this list. that guy hasn't played a snap yet. this is a projection? holy hell, these fucking owners better get their fucking shit together soon. this is just getting lame as hell

Ace Gunner
06-20-2011, 07:17 PM

dude, you're in petaluma - aren't you too rich to be on this board? shouldn't you be fine dining or racket balling? that avatar is funny as hell tho. best

Gadzooks
06-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Dumervil's gonna get buried next season playing end in the 4-3.
He better be eating his Twinkies this off season.

KurtCobain
06-20-2011, 07:26 PM
wait a minute.. he's listing corey liuget on this list. that guy hasn't played a snap yet. this is a projection? holy hell, these fucking owners better get their fucking shit together soon. this is just getting lame as hell

Yeah because we've missed so many snaps already.

chiefzilla1501
06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
I think Tyson Jackson is a little high, but it's not that far off. They're saying he's so-so and that's about right. I think Jackson 9, Smith 11, Gilberry 16 makes more sense.

Three7s
06-20-2011, 07:38 PM
KnowMo will have a heart attack when he sees Dumervil below Dorsey.

I'd love to see that. LMAO

lcarus
06-20-2011, 08:39 PM
I think it's gonna be hilarious when Jackson has a good season and people flip flop worse than John Kerry. I have no room to talk though....at one point I thought Dorsey was taken way too high.

chiefzilla1501
06-20-2011, 08:43 PM
I think it's gonna be hilarious when Jackson has a good season and people flip flop worse than John Kerry. I have no room to talk though....at one point I thought Dorsey was taken way too high.

I think Jackson has clear physical limitations that will keep him from the top 5. But he's not nearly as bad as some people want to make him to be.

notorious
06-20-2011, 09:23 PM
There are 14 starting D-Linemen in the AFC West.

Now, with that said I would place Tyson Jackson at say, 11tybillionth place.

RealSNR
06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
I think it's gonna be hilarious when Jackson has a good season and people flip flop worse than John Kerry. I have no room to talk though....at one point I thought Dorsey was taken way too high.If he improves to "adequate" it will be a miracle. There still exists no good defense for making that pick at #3 overall.

I'm not going to praise Jackson for not being a piece of shit. That being said, he could possibly turn into the kind of player for the team that can't be valued. If he plays like a starter, we now have Dorsey, Jackson, Gilberry, (potentially) Shaun Smith and Allen Bailey. That's quite a group. We should have no problems stopping the run.

Now if only Powe could be the longterm answer at NT...

RealSNR
06-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Also where's Knowmo's boy Ryan McBean? I thought he was going to be the force that would stop Jamaal Charles dead in his tracks for years to come.

Bump
06-20-2011, 09:43 PM
I think Jackson has clear physical limitations that will keep him from the top 5. But he's not nearly as bad as some people want to make him to be.

yes he is

Bump
06-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Bailey is going to outplay Jackson all season. Fans will want Bailey to start, but that won't happen because of the paychecks

MagicHef
06-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Also where's Knowmo's boy Ryan McBean? I thought he was going to be the force that would stop Jamaal Charles dead in his tracks for years to come.

I couldn't even remember what happened to him, so I checked. Apparently, he is still a Bronco. Also, he is "widely considered as one of the NFL's happiest players." They should do a list based on that.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_McBean

chiefzilla1501
06-20-2011, 10:43 PM
yes he is

Then you're judging him based on his stat sheet instead of the film.

People exaggerate how bad he is because they're expecting him to be #3 pick talent. He's horrible for a #3 pick. But as an NFL player, he's average, just as Williamson says.

Titty Meat
06-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Williamson always makes pretty shitty lists.

ChiefsCountry
06-21-2011, 12:19 AM

LMAO

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-21-2011, 03:54 AM

And Jamarcus Russell was #1

factortobe
06-21-2011, 04:31 AM

:LOL:
Get real Dorsey is a beast!!

RedThat
06-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Tyson Jackson is better than Wallace Gilberry and Shaun Smith? Get the **** out.

Yeah I know. It don't make any sense.

Ace Gunner
06-21-2011, 07:11 AM
:LOL:
Get real Dorsey is a beast!!

a beast? ha, that is funny stuff

Pasta Little Brioni
06-21-2011, 07:15 AM
a beast? ha, that is funny stuff

Not really. He didn't get sacks, but he wrecked some shit last year.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-21-2011, 07:16 AM
KnowMo will be along shortly with a quote form some douche from twitter saying Denver has the top 4 D-linemen in the West. Sad part is, it will be his own quote he's using.

Ace Gunner
06-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Not really. He didn't get sacks, but he wrecked some shit last year.

he sure did, but he's far from being a dominant player or a beast

boogblaster
06-21-2011, 08:06 AM
who did it ...

Pasta Little Brioni
06-21-2011, 08:11 AM
who did it ...

Who did what? You asking who pooped the bed?

Chiefshrink
06-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Agreed:thumb:

I'm a huge Gilberry fan and I can see a true football heart a million miles away and this guy truly loves the game:thumb:

Chiefshrink
06-21-2011, 08:34 AM
We all need to take Williamson list here and create our own rankings of reality here. What is your ranking of these players? I really respect many Chief die hards here who pride themselves in reality and would like to see everyone's list of these players.

Wickedson2.0
06-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Good lord...that's some "list"

beach tribe
06-21-2011, 08:40 AM

Exactly what physical limitations does Jackson have that would keep him from being an outstanding 5-tech?

beach tribe
06-21-2011, 08:43 AM

No. No, he's not.

Hydrae
06-21-2011, 10:03 AM
So the Raiders are going to play a 6-3-2 defense with all these great d-linemen?

I just think it is funny that 6 of the top 14 are Raiders.

ModSocks
06-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Exactly what physical limitations does Jackson have that would keep him from being an outstanding 5-tech?

This. The guy has the frame to be a good 5-tech...he just isn't one.

And don't give me this crap about him being average. Dude is not average. He is not "So-So". He downright sucks. He had a good game against SD before he got hurt, but everything before that was complete garbage.

I was almost embarrassed for him.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 04:44 PM

only watch passing downs, eh?

Do me a favor, ok.

Go back and watch the 15 plays where Hali sacked the Qb and the other 3,256 he got pressure on the opposing passer.

Now, instead of watching Hali on those plays... focus your attention on the work Dorsey put in to free Hali up to be single blocked and become a dominant force.

You will gain a new found respect for the player and what he does for this defense ON PASSING PLAYS.

When you are done there, you can start paying more attention to how well he is against the run to see how much indirect impact Dorsey has on this defense.

Rain Man
06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
That list is wrong. Here's the correct version.

1. Richard Seymour, Oakland: He is the class of the division. He is aging, but he is still a brilliant player.

2. Glenn Dorsey, Kansas City: He made great strides in 2010, his third NFL season. He had adjusted well to the 3-4 defense and he is the anchor to a young defense.

6. Antonio Garay, San Diego: Garay had a terrific season in 2010. He is a tremendous nose tackle.

11. Wallace Gilberry, Kansas City: He’s is an underrated player. He can get sacks in bunches.

4. Elvis Dumervil, Denver: Dumervil is back to end in a 4-3 after excelling in a 3-4 defense. He struggles against the run, but he is a force as a pass-rusher.

3. Tommy Kelly, Oakland: Kelly had his best NFL season in 2010 and he pairs very nicely with Seymour. He is tough when he is motivated.

16. Shaun Smith, Kansas City: The Chiefs need to bring him back. He can make an impact.

7. Luis Castillo, San Diego: Castillo is a solid player, but I’d like to see more impact plays.

15. Ron Edwards, Kansas City: He’s steady. The Chiefs want more help at tackle, but Edwards is OK.

5. Lamarr Houston, Oakland: I really like this player. The second-year player is a potential star.

14. Trevor Scott, Oakland: Scott has a chance to be very good. He has natural pass-rushing ability.

17. Marcus Thomas, Denver: Denver wants this free agent back.

8. Matt Shaughnessy, Oakland: He’s another fine young player for Oakland. He has made the most of his opportunities.

No one else is proven at all.

Ugly Duck
06-21-2011, 06:16 PM
KnowMo will have a heart attack when he sees Dumervil below Dorsey.

"Dumervil is rated below Dorsey because only one of his pectoral muscles is still attached to his sternum. If Dumervil had two pecs like the other players, he'd be rated above Seymour." - KnowMo

dude, you're in petaluma - aren't you too rich to be on this board? shouldn't you be fine dining or racket balling?

Petaluma has a one-house token slum. That's my place...

CoMoChief
06-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Dorsey and Jackson shouldn't be listed that high....esp Jackson.....he shouldn't even be in the top 30 DL. Dorsey was good last season, not great, and def not worth the #2 ranking. Let's hope he earns that and proves people wrong.

Bump
06-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Then you're judging him based on his stat sheet instead of the film.

People exaggerate how bad he is because they're expecting him to be #3 pick talent. He's horrible for a #3 pick. But as an NFL player, he's average, just as Williamson says.

bullshit, I watch every game and he does absolutely nothing. No push, no support, NOTHING. He sucks balls.

Dorsey didn't put up any stats but I saw great things in him last season. He's a HUGE reason why Hali was so great, not to take anything away from Hali's awesomeness last season, but Dorsey's play was great and allowed Hali to get single blocked and dominate. Dorsey = no stats but he was great. Jackson = no stats and he sucked balls in every way.

Brock
06-21-2011, 06:38 PM
bullshit, I watch every game and he does absolutely nothing. No push, no support, NOTHING. He sucks balls.

You should be a scout!

Gadzooks
06-21-2011, 07:08 PM
If I were a Chiefs fan I'd be sporting a Dorsey jersey in the Asylum. There's no doot aboot it.

chiefzilla1501
06-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Dorsey didn't put up any stats but I saw great things in him last season. He's a HUGE reason why Hali was so great, not to take anything away from Hali's awesomeness last season, but Dorsey's play was great and allowed Hali to get single blocked and dominate. Dorsey = no stats but he was great. Jackson = no stats and he sucked balls in every way.

69 tackles for a 3-4 DE is pretty outstanding. Dorsey had a terrific statistical season as well as a good season period. But look, I'm not comparing Jackson to Dorsey. I think Dorsey has developed into a very good 3-4 DE. I'm not at all saying Jackson is on that level. I'm saying he's not as bad as everyone wants to say he is.

To the argument that Jackson played so-so... People are so obsessed with a 3-4 DE's ability to drive into the pocket. A 3-4 DE's job in a Romeo scheme is to read and react. He has to read where the play is going and move toward that play and find the right gap to close up. Jackson was doing a much better job of that in 2011 and I think he's going to do a much better job in 2012, if he gets enough practice. Keep in mind that he's not put in a good situation given that his OLB behind him does nothing and he has no help whatsoever in the middle. People obsess over Gilberry's ability to get sacks in nickel situations, nevermind that he got dominated in 1-2 down situations. And people obsess over Smith's ability to get push in the pocket, nevermind that there were just as many times where he was completely stonewalled.

I thought the best rotation last year was Jackson-Smith-Dorsey. If Jackson stays healthy and progresses and you put a real Nose Tackle in between, I don't think Jackson becomes a pro bowler, but he becomes a solid enough starter.

SAUTO
06-21-2011, 07:50 PM
People get too caught up in jackson's draft position.

Sully was saying the same things a couple of times last year, zilla. And I agree with the two of you
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
06-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Bailey is going to outplay Jackson all season. Fans will want Bailey to start, but that won't happen because of the paychecks

With how much PT Smith got last year, that is a pretty dumb arguing point.

If Tyson Jackson comes in the way he did last year before he got hurt, he will have earned the starting LDE spot and be a good player.

I am thinking he makes the biggest jump from 10-11 of any player we have.

salame
06-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Garay was a bad mother fucker last year