PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Would you have given up prep sports for $5000

Pasta Little Brioni
06-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Of course in this instance it was golf, but for those that played a real sport....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Prep-golfer-wins-5-000-then-promptly-turns-it-?urn=highschool-wp2983

How much is a scholastic athletic career worth? It's an impossible question to answer, if only because each athlete will value the ability to compete at the amateur level differently.

South River (Md.) High freshman Garrett Sauls doesn't have an answer to that question yet, either, but one thing is certain: He's determined that three years of high school eligibility -- and the prospect of collegiate golf thereafter -- is worth a lot more than $5,000.

According to the Washington Post, Sauls was faced to answer that question in May, when the streakily talented Maryland teen won a putting contest at Lake Presidential Golf Club in Upper Marlboro, Md. For winning the contest, Sauls was given the opportunity to walk home with a $5,000 check.

He turned the money down, because accepting it would make him a professional athlete by default.

"I was thinking [of taking it] because you wouldn't really get in trouble unless you get caught," Sauls told the Post. "It's like in college football, those players, sometimes they get paid.

"If you know you're not good enough, then you take the cash. I'm no superstar or anything, but it's still in my mind that I have the possibility to play."

That possibility loomed large in the minds of Sauls and his father, who debated whether or not to accept the prize money. In the end they chose to follow the lead of Hall Chaney, a Maryland teen who passed up the same prize money after winning the putting tournament at the same event in 1999. The Post reported that Chaney also later passed up a Ford Explorer he could have claimed for hitting a hole-in-one at a tournament and went on to compete at the University of Delaware, though he left the Blue Hens team after only one season.

It doesn't appear that Sauls has that level of collegiate or potential professional attention, at least as of yet. The freshman told the Post that he has yet to be contacted by any college coaches, and was not a qualifier for the Maryland state tournament in fall 2010.

Still, both Sauls and his father seemed confident that he had made the right decision to forego a one-time cash infusion for the prospect of three more years of high school golf, at the very least.

"The funnest times of your high school career are playing high school sports, at least it was for me," Rob Sauls, Garrett Sauls' father and a former high school and collegiate lacrosse player. "I didn't want him to take the chance of not finishing his career playing high school golf. You can't put a value on it."

SuperChief
06-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Fuck no. $5000 is just $5000. The memories and lifetime friends I made in the process are priceless.

Old Dog
06-21-2011, 08:45 AM
No, a decent scholarship can be worth far more than $5K, especially when totaled over four or five years

Stewie
06-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Look how much money these amateur golfers gave up. They have $0 by their winnings, but it would be similar to the golfers above and below them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard

Sofa King
06-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Look how much money these amateur golfers gave up. They have $0 by their winnings, but it would be similar to the golfers above and below them.

i chuckled at the guy who tied for 147th.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM

Damn, the one dude turned down $97,000

noa
06-21-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm sure however I would have spent $5k as a freshman in highschool would have been ass dumb
Posted via Mobile Device

Old Dog
06-21-2011, 09:14 AM
posts 4-6 are like comparing apples/oranges when viewed against the story in the OP.
Those "turning down" the $$ in the US open or other golf tournament as an amateur generally have a fairly small chance of finishing in the decent money (only one would have cashed in the Masters as well). Also, it's not as if they can change their mind on Sunday and say, "You know what, I believe I WILL take that check after all".

Brock
06-21-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm sure I would have been dumb enough to, but I would hope somebody would have stopped me. (If I had been a scratch golfer like this guy is)

MOhillbilly
06-21-2011, 09:18 AM
not a snowballs chance in hell. crunchin skulls on the gridiron is priceless imo.

eazyb81
06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
It seems strange that he would lose his amateur status just for winning a little contest. College football camps have many contests for amateur high school players where they can win random prizes, such as Iphones, video games, etc.

Demonpenz
06-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I was a pretty good bowler, and everything I won in money was in the form of scholorchip

Bump
06-21-2011, 10:33 AM
ifhewasblackhedtakenthemoney

Sofa King
06-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I was a pretty good bowler, and everything I won in money was in the form of scholorchip

shcools grate amirite?

Saulbadguy
06-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Football or mens basketball player? Yes.

Anything else, nope.