PDA

View Full Version : Football Labor Talk Details

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 12:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6687485

Among the details NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is revealing to owners Tuesday at the owners' meeting in Rosemont, Ill., is that in the next proposed agreement players will receive a 48 percent share of "all revenue," without the $1-billion-plus credit off the top that had been a point of contention in earlier negotiations, according to sources familiar with the presentation.

Under the new formula being negotiated, players will receive 48 percent of all revenue and will never dip below a 46.5 percent take of the money, sources said.

Proposed CBA Details
Details of a proposed collective bargaining agreement being pitched to NFL owners Tuesday, according to sources:

• Players get 48 percent of "all revenue," without extra $1-billion-plus off top that previously had been requested by owners.

• Players' share will never dip below 46.5 percent, under new formula being negotiated.

• Teams required to spend minimum 90-93 percent of the salary cap.

• Rookie wage scale part of deal but still being "tweaked."

• 18-game regular season designated only as negotiable item and at no point is mandated in deal.

• New 16-game Thursday night TV package beginning in 2012.

• Owners still will get some expense credits that will allow funding for new stadiums.

• Retirees to benefit from improved health care, pension benefits as revenue projected to double to $18 million by 2016.

-- ESPN's Chris Mortensen

In the previous collective bargaining agreement, players received approximately 60 percent of "total revenue" but that did not include $1 billion that was designated as an expense credit off the top of the $9 billion revenue model. Owners initially were seeking another $1 billion in credit only to reduce that amount substantially before exercising the lockout on March 13.

Ultimately, the two sides have decided to simplify the formula, which will eliminate some tedious accounting audits of the credit the players have allowed in the previous deal. NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith has stated that players were actually receiving around 53 percent of all revenues instead of the much advertised 60 percent.

Owners still will get some expense credits that will allow funding for new stadium construction, sources said.

A rookie wage scale will be part of the new deal but is still being "tweaked," and the much-discussed 18-game regular season will be designated only as a negotiable item with the players and at no point is mandated in a potential agreement. A new 16-game Thursday night TV package beginning in 2012 will be the source of new revenue.

As revenues are projected to possibly double by 2016 to $18 billion annually, retired players will benefit from improved health and pension funding that is expected to increase significantly.

Players believe they can justify a 48 percent take because of the projected revenue growth, as well as built-in mechanisms that require teams to spend a minimum of 90-93 percent of the salary cap, sources said. The mandatory minimum spending increase is an element that concerns lower-revenue clubs, sources say.

A league source told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that there will not be a vote on a new collective bargaining agreement Tuesday.

"This is strictly informational. There is nothing to vote on," the source told ESPN.

The negotiating teams for the owners and players, led by Goodell and Smith, are expected to return to the table most likely Wednesday and Thursday at an undisclosed site, hoping to build off the momentum of three strong weeks of talks under the supervision of a court-appointed mediator, U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan.

A source told ESPN.com's John Clayton that talks are scheduled to resume Wednesday in Boston.

Cautious expectations on the two sides reaching an agreement in principle are varied, ranging from one-to-three weeks with the hopes of beginning a new league year (free agency, etc.) by mid-July.

If and when there an agreement is reached, all players with four or more years of experience are expected to be unrestricted free agents, according to sources familiar with the talks. Certain tags will be retained but that still is being discussed.

Players are willing to commit to at least a 10-year labor agreement if the sides can agree on the terms, sources told Clayton. The first preseason game, at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, is scheduled for Aug. 7.

Any breakdown in talks could result in the loss of preseason games and threaten the opening of the regular season.

"This is the season to get a deal," Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay said before entering the conference room where representatives from all 32 teams were being updated by Goodell and his negotiating committee. "I think the logic that you're pushing on both sides is saying why get a deal Oct. 1, or whenever, when you could have had July 7, or whatever."

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 12:21 PM
More at ESPN: If and when agreement is reached, all players with 4, 5 and 6 years of service are expected to be unrestricted free agents.
6 minutes ago via UberSocial

allen_kcCard
06-21-2011, 12:26 PM
More at ESPN: If and when agreement is reached, all players with 4, 5 and 6 years of service are expected to be unrestricted free agents.
6 minutes ago via UberSocial

ALLLLL?

So, players like Manning, Brady, etc etc etc etc will all be UFA?

Holy moley bidding wars batman.

Brock
06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
ALLLLL?

Doubt it.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 12:29 PM
ALLLLL?

Players who's contracts are up and whose status as RFA/UFA was otherwise in question because of the 'years of service' issue.

allen_kcCard
06-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Players who's contracts are up and whose status as RFA/UFA was otherwise in question because of the 'years of service' issue.

Ahhh, so players that are FAs anyway, with those years of service, will all be unresctricted...makes a bit more sense.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Will that mean Steve Smith (NYG) is a free agent? http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/895/2i6m24jjpg.png

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 12:40 PM
A Thursday night game every week?

Hate that idea.

kcxiv
06-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Hate that idea.

Not me, i love it, the more football i can see and not have to be switching back n forth is good for me.

cabletech94
06-21-2011, 12:44 PM
sunday, monday, some saturdays, and now thursdays too (6 games as of last year)??? sounds like a win win.

if only there was something to do on tuesday, wednesday, and friday.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 12:45 PM

Hate that idea.

Agreed

Skyy God
06-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Hate that idea.

The NFL hates fantasy football and those without NFLN, apparently.

Skyy God
06-21-2011, 12:48 PM

So, Carr, Gillberry, B-Rich, Hali. Who else of note?

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 12:51 PM
The NFL hates FFL players and those without NFLN, apparently.

I have NFLN, and really didn't think of the FF impact.

I just don't think it's good for the game. You're asking these guys to play on a 3-day turnaround, and some teams are likely going to have to do it more than once. It's a huge disadvantage to those teams.

Plus, I hate the idea that injured players aren't getting the entire week to get themselves ready to play on Sunday. You're going to see players miss these games they might have been able to play in had they had the extra 3 days to get treatment.

And you're asking out-of-town season ticket holders to take vacation or miss a game.

I'm not a big fan of the Thursday night games as it is, much less adding the entire season. Thanksgiving night? Awesome. Scrap the rest, IMO.

The Poz
06-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Will that mean Steve Smith (NYG) is a free agent? http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/895/2i6m24jjpg.png

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports all players with at least four years of service time will be unrestricted free agents under the labor agreement currently being discussed.
This had been the expected outcome as long as a new CBA was reached as opposed to a court-ordered short-term fix. The new free agency rules will affect upwards of 500 players, which should lead to a frenzy in late July after an agreement is reached. DeAngelo Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw, Joseph Addai, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith (NYG), and Zach Miller are the major fantasy names affected. All of the above will hit the open market.

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 12:55 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports all players with at least four years of service time will be unrestricted free agents under the labor agreement currently being discussed.
This had been the expected outcome as long as a new CBA was reached as opposed to a court-ordered short-term fix. The new free agency rules will affect upwards of 500 players, which should lead to a frenzy in late July after an agreement is reached. DeAngelo Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw, Joseph Addai, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith (NYG), and Zach Miller are the major fantasy names affected. All of the above will hit the open market.

Oh so nice to have Sidney Rice.

OnTheWarpath15
FA is going to be fucking insane.

Nearly 25% of the league's players will be FA's, and the teams are only going to have a few weeks to sign them.

The Franchise
I'm not a big fan of the Thursday night games as it is, much less adding the entire season. Thanksgiving night? Awesome. Scrap the rest, IMO.

This.

And all of those FAs hitting the market? Fuck.....free agency is going to be nuts when it starts.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 12:56 PM

So who rides the bench, Bowe or Baldwin?

The Franchise
06-21-2011, 12:56 PM

There is no way that Minnesota lets him go. Ponder at QB with no WRs to throw at....

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM

Nah man Steve Smith. Though i'm not sure a team would tie up that much money into 1 position.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
FA is going to be ****ing insane.

Nearly 25% of the league's players will be FA's, and the teams are only going to have a few weeks to sign them.

Just think how many so and so is a free agent threads there will be.

The Franchise
06-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Nah man Steve Smith. Though i'm not sure a team would tie up that much money into 1 position.

Steve Smith would be great in the slot. I think someone is going to give him starter money though.

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 01:00 PM
So who rides the bench, Bowe or Baldwin?

You do know more then 2 WR's play in a game, yes?

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 01:01 PM
There is no way that Minnesota lets him go. Ponder at QB with no WRs to throw at....

Probably not, but if he is an UFA then they might not have any choice.

allen_kcCard
06-21-2011, 01:01 PM
We will have to open a subforum of Free Agent Planet.

allen_kcCard
06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Won't all the teams that have a lot of cap room be able to make some big time plays? I know we have a good amount of room, ideas on who else does too?

Skyy God

Look for him to sign with St. Louis, or a team similarly desperate for a WR.

The Franchise
Give me:

Drew Stanton - QB
Ryan Harris - RT
Kevin Burnett - ILB
Michael Huff - FS

Plus re-sign:

Hali
Carr
Smith
Gilberry
Richardson

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 01:03 PM
You do know more then 2 WR's play in a game, yes?

You do know that just because a player is a WR doesn't mean he has the ability or skillset to play the X, Z AND Slot positions, yes?

Of course you don't.

Who plays the slot in your scenario, genius?

bowener
06-21-2011, 01:04 PM

And the Chiefs have the second most amount of money to burn!! PBJ

Yet they won't... :(

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 01:09 PM
And the Chiefs have the second most amount of money to burn!! PBJ

Yet they won't... :(

Depending on the new deal they might have to from what i've read.

rocknrolla
06-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Teams required to spend minimum 90-93 percent of the salary cap.
I like this A LOT!

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 01:13 PM
You do know that just because a player is a WR doesn't mean he has the ability or skillset to play the X, Y and Z positions, yes? The Ravens do it quite a bit with Bolden, Housh, and Mason.

Of course you don't.

Who plays the slot in your scenario, genius?

This isn't 1989 my man. You'll see all kinds o formations with guys lined up all over the place. The Ravens do a great job of it with there big 3 WR and Heap.

But if you want to go back to the days of starting 2 WR in a prostyle formation. Then you obviously start the 2 proven guys. While I like the Baldwin pick it's not exactly unheard of for a 1st round WR to bust out or take several years to develop and if that happens we have zip outside of Bowe.

Of course I give us 1% chance of signing him, but like it said it would just be nice to have him.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
You mean a guy like say Baldwin can't play slot similar to how a tightend may slide out? It's not as complicated as you apparently think it is.

But if you want to go back to the days of starting 2 WR in a prostyle formation. Then you obviously start the 2 proven guys. While I like the Baldwin pick it's not exactly unheard of for a 1st round WR to bust out or take several years to develop and if that happens we have zip outside of Bowe.

Of course I give us 1% chance of signing him, but like it said it would just be nice to have him.

Do you have any concept as to how 11 personnel works?

Sofa King
06-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Give me:

Drew Stanton - QB
Ryan Harris - RT
Kevin Burnett - ILB
Michael Huff - FS

Plus re-sign:

Hali
Carr
Smith
Gilberry
Richardson

Still got Bowe and Flowers to worry about... soon....

The Franchise
06-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Still got Bowe and Flowers to worry about... soon....

And we can pay them after we cut Tyson Jackson next season.

Skyy God
06-21-2011, 01:21 PM
I like this A LOT!

Hopefully this is based on a 3 or 5 year average, otherwise teams (like the Chiefs) will lose flexibility to pay waves of talent.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 01:21 PM
You mean a guy like say Baldwin can't play slot similar to how a tightend may slide out? It's not as complicated as you apparently think it is.

I've defended Pioli and Haley a lot on this site. If the Chiefs slide Baldwin (6'4", 228lbs) into the slot as a rookie for anything other than an occasional change of pace, I'll lead the charge to require drug tests for both of them.

Sofa King
06-21-2011, 01:27 PM
And we can pay them after we cut Tyson Jackson next season.

You don't cut a 1st time pro bowler this soon in his career. are you fucking crazy?????

ShowtimeSBMVP
06-21-2011, 01:28 PM
ProFootballWkly Pro Football Weekly
RT @ AdamSchefter: If and when agreement is reached, all players with 4, 5 and 6 years of service are expected to be unrestricted free agents

ProFootballWkly Pro Football Weekly
Owners would like the new CBA to have 16-game "Thursday Night Football" slate. (per @ mortreport) http://******/mJDhXj

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I've defended Pioli and Haley a lot on this site. If the Chiefs slide Baldwin (6'4", 228lbs) into the slot as a rookie for anything other than an occasional change of pace, I'll lead the charge to require drug tests for both of them.

Chris Henry did well in the slot at 6'4, but he was a little lighter. A casual football thinks midgets like Welker and Stokley when they hear "slot", but like I said <1% chance this will ever be an issue.

ModSocks
06-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I hate the Idea of Thursday night football. Hate it Hate it Hate it

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Chris Henry did well in the slot at 6'4, but he was a little lighter. A midget in the slot isn't mandatory, but like I said <1% chance this will ever be an issue.

Baldwin weighed in at 228. Henry weighed in at 200. That's more than just a little lighter.

Dayze
06-21-2011, 01:38 PM
hooray; another night for 'premium' matchups; so now we'll get to see Indy, NE, Pitt, Philly, GB, or Cowboys each week!

The more I think about it, the more I hate TNF.

bowener
06-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Depending on the new deal they might have to from what i've read.

They'll just over pay somebody on the team like they did with Cassel before.

ChiefsCountry
06-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I like this A LOT!

I think its stupid personally.

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Baldwin weighed in at 228. Henry weighed in at 200. That's more than just a little lighter.

Anyways, this pretty much breaks down into stats my point. This isn't Tecmo Bowl football these days.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/04/05/anquan-boldin-slot-receiver/

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Anyways, this pretty much breaks down into stats my point.

First, PFF sucks camel nuts.

Second, Boldin is 6'1", not 6'4", he's not a rookie, and he was rotating his position as opposed to being a definitive slot receiver.

The Franchise
06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Anyways, this pretty much breaks down into stats my point. This isn't Tecmo Bowl football these days.

How does that break down your point into stats? Where does it say that Boldin spent 100% of his snaps in the slot?

ShowtimeSBMVP
06-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Guys like QB Brodie Croyle, TE Leonard Pope, LB Corey Mays and C Rudy Niswanger, among others, would have been restricted free agents and available for a tender under the 2010 set of rules. Under the rules in Mort's report, these guys would be unrestricted free agents.

The Franchise
06-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Guys like QB Brodie Croyle, TE Leonard Pope, LB Corey Mays and C Rudy Niswanger, among others, would have been restricted free agents and available for a tender under the 2010 set of rules. Under the rules in Mort's report, these guys would be unrestricted free agents.

OH NOEZ!!11!!11!!1!!

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Chris Henry did well in the slot at 6'4, but he was a little lighter. A casual football thinks midgets like Welker and Stokley when they hear "slot", but like I said <1% chance this will ever be an issue.

Chris Henry?

You mean the Chris Henry that averaged 24 catches for 365 yards and 4 TD's per year for the Bengals?

Wow.

And BTW, TJ Houshmanzedah mostly played from the slot in the Bengals offense.

You probably shouldn't bash "casual football fans," because apparently, you are one.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 02:17 PM
First, PFF sucks camel nuts.

Second, Boldin is 6'1", not 6'4", he's not a rookie, and he was rotating his position as opposed to being a definitive slot receiver.

And here we go again.

Another thread where BCD says something galactically stupid (see his comments on Lamar Odom and Bynum) and instead of saying, "whoops, I was wrong" decides to take on the board in a losing effort.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2011, 02:17 PM
This isn't 1989 my man. You'll see all kinds o formations with guys lined up all over the place.
let it go man, OTW has never been wrong ........ EVER.

the Chiefs are not capable of running 3-wide offense and it doesn't matter that Baldwin is a rookie.

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 02:19 PM
How does that break down your point into stats? Where does it say that Boldin spent 100% of his snaps in the slot?

I never said that. My point was players don't always play the same position thoughout the game are used differently in different formations. OTWP wanted to know which WR would never see the field is we had 3.

Can you imagine the breakdown on CP if we sigened Boldin and were told over 1/2 his production was going to be in the slot? Oh noes! He isn't 5'10 180lbs. He isn't a slot! Morans! Morans!

I'm just telling you how it works if people don't like it take it up with the Ravens and other NFL teams using WR's the same way.

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 02:20 PM

the Chiefs are not capable of running 3-wide offense and it doesn't matter that Baldwin is a rookie.

I guess, but he can always argue lies, damn lies, and statistics..blah blah blah.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 02:21 PM
I never said that. My point was players don't always play the same position thoughout the game are used differently in different formations.

Can you imagine the breakdown on CP if we sigened Boldin and were told over 1/2 his production was going to be in the slot? Oh noes! He isn't 5'10 180lbs. He isn't a slot!

I'm just telling you how it works if people don't like it take it up with the Ravens and another NFL teams using a similar system.

Leaving out the issue of Baldwin being a rookie who'd have to learn the slot in a shortened offseason, please list all the 6'4", 220+ lbs receivers who spent more than, say, 75% of their time as a true slot receiver last year.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 02:21 PM

He certainly isn't wrong this time either. Baldwin and Bowe aren't slot wr's neither is Sidney Rice.

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Leaving out the issue of Baldwin being a rookie who'd have to learn the slot in a shortened offseason, please list all the 6'4", 220+ lbs receivers who spent more than, say, 75% of their time as a true slot receiver last year.

That was never the point. The point is you find playing time for Baldwin/Rice/Bowe and all can be on the field at the same time at times the same way Mason/Housh/Boldin are with the Ravens.

Dave Lane
06-21-2011, 02:25 PM
So the players original deal called for 50% of revenue which the owners screamed at locked them out and now its 48%? Well I'll bet if they asked nice the next day they would have got that. What a waste...

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 02:25 PM
For those of you who are interested, here is how 11 personnel should work:

(You probably should read this, BCD)

First, "11" personnel refers to the number of backs and TE's in the formation.

In this case, there is 1 RB and 1 TE, leaving 3 WR's.

Ideally, you want a "X" that commands a lot of attention/rolled coverages.

You also want a "Z" that can stretch the field and a TE that is versatile enough to line up next to an OT, inside the hash, or even outside the hash.

Finally, you want a very quick slot WR to take advantage of the inside mismatches with his speed.

There's not a team in the league that runs 11 personnel with 3 WR's that are 6-3+, 225+ and run 4.5+.

And for good reason. It's not as effective. You have 3 of the same player on the field.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 02:28 PM

I've been wrong a lot, and admit it when I am.

I'm not in this case.

And regarding your last comment, the Chiefs are in a perfect position to play a lot of 11 personnel, but they seem hell-bent on making Dex a RB. He's be the perfect complement to Bowe and Baldwin outside - and teams would still have to account for JC out of the backfield - or the call being checked to a run.

This team could do some serious damage running the ball out of 11 personnel.

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 02:28 PM
For those of you who are interested, here is how 11 personnel should work:

(You probably should read this, BCD)

First, "11" personnel refers to the number of backs and TE's in the formation.

In this case, there is 1 RB and 1 TE, leaving 3 WR's.

Ideally, you want a "X" that commands a lot of attention/rolled coverages.

You also want a "Z" that can stretch the field and a TE that is versatile enough to line up next to an OT, inside the hash, or even outside the hash.

Finally, you want a very quick slot WR to take advantage of the inside mismatches with his speed.

There's not a team in the league that runs 11 personnel with 3 WR's that are 6-3+, 225+ and run 4.5+.

And for good reason. It's not as effective. You have 3 of the same player on the field.

What's Boldin's 40 time these days?

And again - your question was "Who rides the pine if we sign Rice; Bowe or Baldwin?"

Do you want to maybe phrase that differently?

The Franchise
06-21-2011, 02:31 PM
FTR....if we sign Rice.....that means Bowe is more than likely on his way out.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 02:33 PM
That was never the point. The point is you find playing time for Baldwin/Rice/Bowe and all can be on the field at the same time at times the same way Mason/Housh/Boldin are with the Ravens.

Baldwin's a rookie who (according to his own college coach) needs work on route running and beating press coverage and who's been missing months of preparation, and you want him to learn every nuance of every fucking wideout spot in less than two months?

Are you on crack?

Brock
06-21-2011, 02:33 PM
I hope there's more progress being made in Chicago than there is in this thread.

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Baldwin's a rookie who (according to his own college coach) needs work on route running and beating press coverage and who's been missing months of preparation, and you want him to learn every nuance of every ****ing wideout spot in less than two months?

Are you on crack?

No, but I think you can find playing time for him, Bowe, and Rice without having one of the "ride the pine".

bowener
06-21-2011, 02:38 PM
I hope there's more progress being made in Chicago than there is in this thread.http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9pBI0-0JIlQ/TcF1xeU8rqI/AAAAAAAABhs/XvwNsxv9zew/s1600/I_like_that_ZING.gif

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
No, but I think you can find playing time for him, Bowe, and Rice without having one of the "ride the pine".

OL (5)
QB (1)
RB (1)

That's 7 spots right there. Now, Bowe and Moeaki make 9. You want to make Rice and Baldwin the final 2.

You're taking all quickness out of the lineup, in favor of size and speed, which will badly limit what the offense can run. Yes, if you put 3 outside receivers who are 6'2". 6'4" and 6'4" on the field, with one badly miscast as a true slot receiver, and undercut your overall effectiveness, you can do that as your base offense.

Why would you be stupid enough to do it, though?

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Baldwin's a rookie who (according to his own college coach) needs work on route running and beating press coverage and who's been missing months of preparation, and you want him to learn every nuance of every fucking wideout spot in less than two months?

Are you on crack?

JPB, you're on your own from here.

Find playing time?

Unnecessary if you have the right pieces to play out of 11 personnel.

rocknrolla
06-21-2011, 02:46 PM
This could be a good thing.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/6/21/2235050/chiefs-scott-pioli-owners-meetings

The NFL owners meetings in Chicago include each team's owner as well as another team executive. We weren't sure who the team executive from the Chiefs would go with Clark Hunt but various reporters are now writing via Twitter that GM Scott Pioli has been spotted at the meeting in Chicago.

Pioli is among a number of executives in the house which makes you wonder what these meetings will entail (besides giving the Chiefs GM a different workout venue).

With all the football people like Pioli in the house will the group be discussing the commencement of the league year, like free agency? If a deal is as close as some say it is -- perhaps by July -- then details like how to start the league back up will be critical.

I'd cautiously say the presence of these football guys is a good sign.

C'mon, Clark Hunt and Scott Pioli. Push this thing to a resolution and help bring football back. I can only do so many stories on things people don't really care about.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
OL (5)
QB (1)
RB (1)

That's 7 spots right there. Now, Bowe and Moeaki make 9. You want to make Rice and Baldwin the final 2.

You're taking all quickness out of the lineup, in favor of size and speed, which will badly limit what the offense can run. Yes, if you put 3 outside receivers who are 6'2". 6'4" and 6'4" on the field, with one badly miscast as a true slot receiver, and undercut your overall effectiveness, you can do that as your base offense.

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
OL (5)
QB (1)
RB (1)

This is getting pointless.

Please remember you are not required to have a RB or TE on the field at all times as well.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I'd love to get Smith and this now would mean Micheal Bush would be a free agent too. Those 2 would equal first playoff win in 15 years.

ChiefsCountry
06-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Those 2 would equal first playoff win in 15 years.

Cassel is still our QB, I wouldn't put it down as W in any book, especially with the QBs in the AFC.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Please remember you are not required to have a RB or TE on the field at all times as well.

Brilliant.

So now instead of either Bowe, Baldwin or Rice sitting the play out, we've moved on to our best player or Moeaki on the bench. Who's the 4th WR (or 2nd RB) when you pull JC or Mo off the field?

The only thing pointless here is you continuing to argue defending the ridiculous comment you made.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Other than rest/freshness issues, why would you want to pull Charles or Moeaki out of the base?

Are you Herm Edwards?

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Awesome.

So now instead of either Bowe, Baldwin or Rice sitting the play out, we've moved on to our best player or Moeaki on the bench.

Brilliant.

The only thing pointless here is you continuing to argue defending the ridiculous comment you made.

You mean worse then implying only 2 WR's play in game? Or your slot needs to run a 4.4 40?

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Other than rest/freshness issues, why would you want to pull Charles or Moeaki out of the base?

Are you Herm Edwards?

Base offense?

I really need to learn how to put up that smiley banging his head on a computer up, because that's me right now.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Cassel is still our QB, I wouldn't put it down as W in any book, especially with the QBs in the AFC.

With that much talent around Brian Brohm could win a game.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 02:56 PM
You mean worse then implying only 2 WR's play in game? Or your slot needs to run a 4.4 40?

Never implied that.

Did, however, imply that none of the three are legitimate options for the slot.

Sorry you're too fucking stupid to realize that.

Skyy God
06-21-2011, 02:56 PM

Jason Campbell and the Neckbeard, oh noes.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 02:57 PM

Bookmarked for Cassel's first "9-19 for 84 yards" game.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Are you Herm Edwards?

I can't think of a single reason you wouldn't want JC and Mo on the field in 11 personnel.

They are exactly what you want out of those positions in that personnel grouping.

They can get their rest when we go to other formations - too valuable to sit in 11.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Bookmarked for Cassel's first "9-19 for 84 yards" game.

Well that's an improvement over his 69 yard game vs San Diego last year.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Well that's an improvement over his 69 yard game vs San Diego last year.

LMAO

BUT WE WON!

QBOTF!

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Seriously though add a guy like Bush who can pound teams all game long and get a guy like Smith or Jones who can be a security blanket for Cassel's 5 yard accuracy how would teams be able to defend that offense?

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Seriously though add a guy like Bush who can pound teams all game long and get a guy like Smith or Jones who can be a security blanket for Cassel's 5 yard accuracy how would teams be able to defend that offense?

Michael Bush and Steve Smith(NYG) would be perfect additions to this offense.

Which is why it will never happen.

talastan
06-21-2011, 03:15 PM

This! :shake:

Bewbies
06-21-2011, 03:16 PM

You're killing me with this. At first I'm all excited, then I'm all :huh:

Bewbies
06-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Hot damn it's fun to talk about football again.

keg in kc
06-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't give a shit about the details at this point. Just get it fucking done already.

ChiefsCountry
06-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Which in the playoffs the main talent is the guy behind the center not the ones around him as we have seen over and over again.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Which in the playoffs the main talent is the guy behind the center not the ones around him as we have seen over and over again.

I don't know man the Ravens have won some playoff games and I'd say Joe Flaaco is an average QB.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 03:32 PM
The good news (if these reports are legit) is that we are unlikely to lose any free agents due to the 90-93% deal and we will likely HAVE to spend some money in free agency.

RT
NT
SWR (although I like Tucker A LOT in that role under Haleys tutelage)
QB 2/3
Pounder rb

Should be interesting.

The Franchise
06-21-2011, 03:37 PM
The good news (if these reports are legit) is that we are unlikely to lose any free agents due to the 90-93% deal and we will likely HAVE to spend some money in free agency.

RT
NT
SWR (although I like Tucker A LOT in that role under Haleys tutelage)
QB 2/3
Pounder rb

Should be interesting.

My fantasy scenario would be:

Steve Smith, WR
Michael Bush, RB
Drew Stanton, QB
Ryan Harris, RT
Michael Huff, FS
Kevin Burnett, ILB

Plus re-signing all of our players that need contracts (Hali, Carr etc.)

vailpass
06-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Actual terms subject to change. Your mileage may vary. Past performance not necessarily an indicator of future gains. Do not operate heavy machinery. May cause rectal bleeding. Void where prohibited. If condition persists more than three hours call a doctor. The Juice is on the loose.

talastan
06-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Actual terms subject to change. Your mileage may vary. Past performance not necessarily an indicator of future gains. Do not operate heavy machinery. May cause rectal bleeding. Void where prohibited. If condition persists more than three hours call a doctor. The Juice is on the loose.

This must be the fine print on the Donkey contracts. ;)

Pasta Little Brioni
06-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I don't know man the Ravens have won some playoff games and I'd say Joe Flaaco is an average QB.

Outside of the Chiefs game, he's been Joke Flacco in the playoffs.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Base offense?

I really need to learn how to put up that smiley banging his head on a computer up, because that's me right now.

Charles had 45 catches last year, and Moeaki had 47. You don't take them out just to put in a "slot" receiver who's not a slot receiver. You don't take Moeaki or Charles out of the offense for a downgrade at a different receiving position. Doing so is the sort of silly shit that gets coaches fired. Breaking from your base on 2nd or 3rd and long is a different issue, but it's also not enough of a reason to spend the money on Rice.

If this team thinks Baldwin can have a positive impact this year, and it's planning to keep Bowe beyond this year, a player like Rice is not what you're shopping for. You're looking for a quick receiver who's going to thrive inside the hash marks and generally 10 yards out or shorter.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Sorry Cat Daddy, Rice will not be signed. Put the pipe away, the dreams of trading for Fitz or signing Rice died the day KC selected Baldwin.

SAUTO
06-21-2011, 03:48 PM

and we would never draft eric berry at 5 either

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Sorry Cat Daddy, Rice will not be signed. Put the pipe away, the dreams of trading for Fitz or signing Rice died the day KC selected Baldwin.

Yeah, like I said <1% chance. I would love to have our version of Carter/Moss/Reed though.

The Franchise
06-21-2011, 03:51 PM

Not necessarily true. If we do sign Rice....it's because Bowe isn't getting another contract.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
This must be the fine print on the Donkey contracts. ;)

:)
I'm just sayin' the if a deal gets done the final terms may not match those in the OP.

kstater
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Won't all the teams that have a lot of cap room be able to make some big time plays? I know we have a good amount of room, ideas on who else does too?

Makes Al's crazy deals so much sweeter.

OnTheWarpath15
06-21-2011, 03:57 PM
and we would never draft eric berry at 5 either

The only person I recall saying we wouldn't draft Berry at 5 is Peter King, and he basically took a comment out of context from Dimitroff (IIRC) to make that comment.

Feel free to try to find anyone that thinks signing Bush and Smith is even remotely likely.

I'm heading to happy hour. I'll come back to check out your list when I get back.

kstater
06-21-2011, 03:57 PM
hooray; another night for 'premium' matchups; so now we'll get to see Indy, NE, Pitt, Philly, GB, or Cowboys each week!

The more I think about it, the more I hate TNF.

Helps out of market fans a bit IMO. More marquee matchups on Thursday free up for Sunday here IMO. More of a chance for me to see the game.

kstater
06-21-2011, 04:02 PM
So the players original deal called for 50% of revenue which the owners screamed at locked them out and now its 48%? Well I'll bet if they asked nice the next day they would have got that. What a waste...

60% originally, and after some exemptions it was 53%. That's roughly 400 million.

DeezNutz
06-21-2011, 04:10 PM
So a deal looks like it's going to get done and we're signing Bush and Smith? Good day.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 04:10 PM
WTF is going on in here?

Reports arise that are in our teams favor in multiple ways and all you guys can argue about is if we will spend big money on a fucking wideout?

really? a wideout?

Thats a total waste of time IMO even talking about it.

In Haleys terms "players have to EARN the RIGHT to be a playmaker on this team" and Bowe was OBVIOUSLY one of the major playmakers. He fought his way out of the dog house and into conversation as one of the NFLs elite wideouts.

Knowing that, are we seriously talking about spending BIG money on a FA receiver and letting Bowe walk after all of this?

haha

Can someone PLEASE give us a list of guys that will be free agent RTs, NTs, Slot guys, banger backs and maybe a depth QB?

It would be much appreciated and would help this discussion become relevant. It would also stop people form stopping by the Planet and thinking we are a bunch of drooling fools.

Thanks, in advance!

***edit: Baldwin > Smith

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 04:12 PM
60% originally, and after some exemptions it was 53%. That's roughly 400 million.

The players made 52.7, 51.8, 51.0, 50.6 percent of all revenue under the first four years of the '06 CBA.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/2/18/2000707/nfl-lockout-cba-2011-revenue-sharing

BossChief
06-21-2011, 04:14 PM
The players made 52.7, 51.8, 51.0, 50.6 percent of all revenue under the first four years of the '06 CBA.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/2/18/2000707/nfl-lockout-cba-2011-revenue-sharing

They were supposed to make 60%

See why they wanted that as a sticking point in a new deal, now?

MahiMike
06-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Hate that idea.

I smell an NFL Network exclusive. Hate that crap. Greedy bastages.

DeezNutz
06-21-2011, 04:18 PM
***edit: Baldwin > Smith

Two different types of WRs.

While I agree that there are more pressing needs on this team, we still need a slot receiver, assuming that DMC is now a (soon broken) RB.

MahiMike
06-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Although I have to say this is the most information we've been privy to all summer. Looks like it's gonna happen.

rocknrolla
06-21-2011, 04:19 PM
I smell an NFL Network exclusive. Hate that crap. Greedy bastages.

Yup Yup! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 04:22 PM
They were supposed to make 60%

See why they wanted that as a sticking point in a new deal, now?

You're forgetting the first billion off the top. Once you toss in the first billion, the numbers translated to a final percentage of 52.7, 51.8, 51.0, 50.6 percent of all revenue under the first four years of the '06 CBA.

The players were making about 50% of all revenues at the end of the CBA, so 48% is a concession, but it's nothing like what the owners were looking for. If the players end up getting all the other concessions that the owners were supposedly willing to give prior to the decert (impartial arbitrator, 90% minimum actual cash payout on the cap, earlier UFA, etc...), this should be a pretty good deal for the players, particularly if there's a true up involved.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 04:29 PM
You're forgetting the first billion off the top. Once you toss in the first billion, the numbers translated to a final percentage of 52.7, 51.8, 51.0, 50.6 percent of all revenue under the first four years of the '06 CBA.

The players were making about 50% of all revenues at the end of the CBA, so 48% is a concession, but it's nothing like what the owners were looking for. If the players end up getting all the other concessions that the owners were supposedly willing to give prior to the decert (impartial arbitrator, 90% minimum actual cash payout on the cap, earlier UFA, etc...), this should be a pretty good deal for the players, particularly if there's a true up involved.

I thought the previous deal was supposed to be 1 billion off top for operating costs and then a 60/40 split after that with the lions share going to the players.

No?

BossChief
06-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Two different types of WRs.

While I agree that there are more pressing needs on this team, we still need a slot receiver, assuming that DMC is now a (soon broken) RB.

Signing a player like Smith would be nice, but also overkill and borderline gross misuse of available funds.

If I could chose between Smith or Ryan Harris right now at equal compensation...Im solidifying the OL with Harris and trusting Haley to coach up someone to be effective in the slot.

With weapons like Bowe, Charles, Baldwin and Moeaki....we dont really have a need for a slot guy with the price tag like Smiths.

For equal coin, we could probably get Ryan Harris AND Michael Bush and be much further along.

JMO

DeezNutz
06-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Signing a player like Smith would be nice, but also overkill and borderline gross misuse of available funds.

If I could chose between Smith or Ryan Harris right now at equal compensation...Im solidifying the OL with Harris and trusting Haley to coach up someone to be effective in the slot.

With weapons like Bowe, Charles, Baldwin and Moeaki....we dont really have a need for a slot guy with the price tag like Smiths.

For equal coin, we could probably get Ryan Harris AND Michael Bush and be much further along.

JMO

Off hand, I don't know where we're at salary wise and how a possible cap floor would affect our available funds.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Off hand, I don't know where we're at salary wise and how a possible cap floor would affect our available funds.

in 2009, the salary cap in the NFL was 127,000,000...with a year to year increase the 2010 cap would have been somewhere around 134,000,000

we spent 84.5 million dollars on player salary last year.

That would have meant we would have been at 63% of the cap and this repost suggests that a MINIMUM figure would be 90%.

That would equate to roughly 36 million dollars we would have been REQUIRED to spend last year to get to the minimum.

Easily enough to re-sign ALL of our own guys and to pick up a few choice free agents.

like 5

Does that mean we drop something like 8-10 million dollars a year on another WR?

I would hope not.

BigRedChief
06-21-2011, 05:15 PM
in 2009, the salary cap in the NFL was 127,000,000...with a year to year increase the 2010 cap would have been somewhere around 134,000,000

we spent 84.5 million dollars on player salary last year.

That would have meant we would have been at 63% of the cap and this repost suggests that a MINIMUM figure would be 90%.

That would equate to roughly 36 million dollars we would have been REQUIRED to spend last year to get to the minimum.

Easily enough to re-sign ALL of our own guys and to pick up a few choice free agents.

like 5

Does that mean we drop something like 8-10 million dollars a year on another WR?

I would hope not.This is good news. The owners get a bigger % and looks like the players will actually see more money? At least some players, looks like they take some rookie money and put it in the total cap.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
This is good news.

It sure is.

The biggest fear I had/have is that these fuckers will write up a deal that is the best interests of the larger market teams and that this whole thing will turn out like baseball. That would mean we might as well hang it up till the deal was over cause for Clark Hunt to pay that large a salary, he would lose profitability.

With this structure, we can stay competitive and the league will continue to grow.

This deal will benefit us and Tampa Bay immensely.

Dave Lane
06-21-2011, 05:30 PM

No the players proposed 50% about 5 days before the lockout.

SAUTO
06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
The only person I recall saying we wouldn't draft Berry at 5 is Peter King, and he basically took a comment out of context from Dimitroff (IIRC) to make that comment.

Feel free to try to find anyone that thinks signing Bush and Smith is even remotely likely.

I'm heading to happy hour. I'll come back to check out your list when I get back.
I can't search from this phone but I would bet that you and multiple others here said essentially the same thing about berry at five that you said in the original post of yours i quoted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 06:18 PM
It sure is.

The biggest fear I had/have is that these ****ers will write up a deal that is the best interests of the larger market teams and that this whole thing will turn out like baseball. That would mean we might as well hang it up till the deal was over cause for Clark Hunt to pay that large a salary, he would lose profitability.

With this structure, we can stay competitive and the league will continue to grow.

This deal will benefit us and Tampa Bay immensely.

How many votes does it take to reject the CBA? Cheap owners like Brown and Wilson won't like being told how much to spend.

kstater
06-21-2011, 06:23 PM
No the players proposed 50% about 5 days before the lockout.

They asked for 50 percent without the 1 billion taken off.

Ugly Duck
06-21-2011, 06:32 PM
• Rookie wage scale part of deal but still being "tweaked."

They're calling it "The Jamarcus Russell Clause"

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss39/ShadowReplication/Jamarcus-Russell-Purple-Drank.jpg

Okie_Apparition
06-21-2011, 06:38 PM
I hope they expand the rosters & the game day dressed

Brock
06-21-2011, 06:41 PM
They're calling it "The Jamarcus Russell Clause"

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss39/ShadowReplication/Jamarcus-Russell-Purple-Drank.jpg

They should call it the "We're too stupid to draft good" clause.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Looks like more progress

AlbertBreer

We're going live with a special hour-long show on NFL Network at top of the hour. Best news from here: Negotiating team is moving forward.
about 3 hours ago via web
Reply Retweet

AlbertBreer
(Pash cont) "... principles we're looking for, and I think that's been true for some time."

AlbertBreer
Jeff Pash: "I think we have a consensus within the ownership on the priorities, I think we have a consensus on the fundamental economic ..."

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 06:42 PM
DonBanks
While plenty of hard work remains in CBA talks, league source tells me 9 votes against a deal just isn't happening. But nothing's done yet.
about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck
Retweeted by ArrowheadPride and 20 others

BossChief
06-21-2011, 06:55 PM
How many votes does it take to reject the CBA? Cheap owners like Brown and Wilson won't like being told how much to spend.

That is what profit sharing is all about.

It bridges the gap between the teams with smaller and larger incomes like Dallas and KC.

It is what makes every team competitive.

If those owners want to accept the money, they have to spend it on what it is intended for or fuck em.

DeezNutz
06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Salary floor would be great for Chiefs fans.

Brock
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
That is what profit sharing is all about.

It bridges the gap between the teams with smaller and larger incomes like Dallas and KC.

It is what makes every team competitive.

If those owners want to accept the money, they have to spend it on what it is intended for or fuck em.

They don't all have the same revenue streams. It isn't all shared.

Rams Fan
06-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Salary floor would be great for Chiefs fans.

Yet horrible for teams like the Bengals.

cabletech94
06-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Yet horrible for teams like the Bengals.

no offense dude, but screw them. this is why teams can be terrible for years. more competitive teams, more money for the nfl, players and owners, etc.

if you're not first you're last. or something like that.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Im telling you guys, if this is a deal that is signed in the next week or two, our team has the potential to HAVE TO take huge steps, rosterwise, toward being extremely talented across the board and making a real run if the funds are used correctly.

-King-
06-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Anyone got the list to team salaries last year?

BigRedChief
06-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Im telling you guys, if this is a deal that is signed in the next week or two, our team has the potential to HAVE TO take huge steps, rosterwise, toward being extremely talented across the board and making a real run if the funds are used correctly.I agree. If true, this will make the KC Chiefs a better football team. I think Pioli will spend the the money on the right players.

cabletech94
06-21-2011, 07:20 PM
i heard on the radio (610) that the money/salary cap wise doesn't go into effect until next year.
for the record, lots of this could be heresay until an actual deal is signed. so, as it's nice to wish and dream right now, i do hope that the deal is indeed (almost) done.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 07:22 PM
i heard on the radio (610) that the money/salary cap wise doesn't go into effect until next year.
for the record, lots of this could be heresay until an actual deal is signed. so, as it's nice to wish and dream right now, i do hope that the deal is indeed (almost) done.

The implied direction of the talks is all I'm interested in at this point and this newest information is extremely promising to the future of this team.

cabletech94
06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
The implied direction of the talks is all I'm interested in at this point and this newest information is extremely promising to the future of this team.

yeah, i've got a huge boner right now too, braugh.

hurry up and friggin' do it, already!!! giggity.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 07:26 PM
They wouldn't bring Pioli into talks for nothing.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 07:28 PM
They wouldn't bring Pioli into talks for nothing.

:spock:

please explain

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 07:39 PM
:spock:

please explain

It was reported on Twitter that Pioli, Polian, Allen, etc. were at todays meeting. My guess would be talks have progressed so much so they are getting a structure down for free agency and need Gm's prospective?

BossChief
06-21-2011, 07:54 PM
It was reported on Twitter that Pioli, Polian, Allen, etc. were at todays meeting. My guess would be talks have progressed so much so they are getting a structure down for free agency and need Gm's prospective?

very interesting.

bevischief
06-21-2011, 07:58 PM

Hope so.

Mr. Arrowhead
06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Please be done

milkman
06-21-2011, 08:31 PM
My fantasy scenario would be:

Steve Smith, WR
Michael Bush, RB
Drew Stanton, QB
Ryan Harris, RT
Michael Huff, FS
Kevin Burnett, ILB

Plus re-signing all of our players that need contracts (Hali, Carr etc.)

You and I have been on the same page all off season when it comes to free agents.

The one that I would change is Tyson Clabo in place of Harris.

Harris, though, would be my second choice at RT.

I really like the rest, especially Stanton and Bush.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Breaston
Harris
Bush

Those would be my priorities as of right now and Im not really sure who is available at other positions of need.

Michael Huff at FS would be an absolute homerun.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Breaston
Harris
Bush

Those would be my priorities as of right now and Im not really sure who is available at other positions of need.

Michael Huff at FS would be an absolute homerun.

Didn't you just bash the idea of getting a wideout a few posts ago?

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Honestly i'm surprise nobody has mentioned signing Franklin. NT is the missing piece on defense at this point.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Didn't you just bash the idea of getting a wideout a few posts ago?

My perception of the differences between the amount it will require to sign Breaston or Smith is quite different.

Breaston is a player with experience with Haley and his system in the exact role we need filled and would probably sign for far less.

I see Breaston as a guy we can get inked for 4-5 million a year and Smith would probably command 7-8.

Thats a big difference.

milkman
06-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Honestly i'm surprise nobody has mentioned signing Franklin. NT is the missing piece on defense at this point.

There aren't many of us who think that highly of Franklin.

If we address NT in free agncy, I'd rather go after the Dolphins Paul Solai.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 08:57 PM
There aren't many of us who think that highly of Franklin.

If we address NT in free agncy, I'd rather go after the Dolphins Paul Solai.

Unless the new deal changes things, he has already signed his franchise offer (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-02-27/sports/sfl-dolphins-paul-soliai-signs-franchise-tag-20110227_1_franchise-tag-paul-soliai-stingiest-units) to play in Miami next season.

Until that news broke (in February) he was the subject of a lot of discussion.

milkman
06-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Unless the new deal changes things, he has already signed his franchise offer (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-02-27/sports/sfl-dolphins-paul-soliai-signs-franchise-tag-20110227_1_franchise-tag-paul-soliai-stingiest-units) to play in Miami next season.

Until that news broke (in February) he was the subject of a lot of discussion.

Damn.

Forgot about that.

Gadzooks
06-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Damn.

Forgot about that.

What do you think of Franklin now?

BossChief
06-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Id be OK with Franklin, but we shouldn't get married to him.

That's for sure.

The Bad Guy
06-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Because the guy is lazy as fuck and only really played two years ago when he was hunting for a huge deal.

His play fell off a cliff last year.

milkman
06-21-2011, 09:45 PM
What do you think of Franklin now?

I think he returns to stiff status once he gets paid.

KurtCobain
06-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I think Drew Stanton would/could take Cassel's job.

Tim45ks
06-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Lets Just get it done!! all Ready damn Royals are in Last place already an I will go Nuts if there is no football in September!!!! By the way new poster here I am from small town in North central kansas Belleville ks. have been a long time watcher of forum , but I am now.Also been chief and Royal fan littlary all my life an always will be. So expect a comment from me once in a while guys and man I really hope Clark will open up his wallet on some free agents this year!!!!

salame
06-21-2011, 10:20 PM
didn't the raiders put a 1st and 3rd tender on Bush? I'm sure they'll pay him starter money to keep him because they are retards

The Franchise
06-21-2011, 10:38 PM

Exactly why we should sign him and send Palko to the practice squad.

KurtCobain
06-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Exactly why we should sign him and send Palko to the firing squad.

fyp

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 11:27 PM

Not a chance

KurtCobain
06-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Not a chance

Why the fuck not?

bowener
06-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Because the guy is lazy as fuck and only really played two years ago when he was hunting for a huge deal.

Didn't the whole team fall off a cliff last year?

Lets Just get it done!! all Ready damn Royals are in Last place already an I will go Nuts if there is no football in September!!!! By the way new poster here I am from small town in North central kansas Belleville ks. have been a long time watcher of forum , but I am now.Also been chief and Royal fan littlary all my life an always will be. So expect a comment from me once in a while guys and man I really hope Clark will open up his wallet on some free agents this year!!!!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/str8busta/NOT-SURE-IF-SRS.jpg

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Why the **** not?

Because Cassel's a much better quarterback

KurtCobain
06-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Because Cassel's a much better quarterback

No way. Stanton has proved just as much as a starter in college and NFL as Cassel has and has more potential imo.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Because the guy is lazy as **** and only really played two years ago when he was hunting for a huge deal.

The Niners as a whole underperformed last year. I would still sign Franklin depending on the price.

Titty Meat
06-21-2011, 11:57 PM
My perception of the differences between the amount it will require to sign Breaston or Smith is quite different.

Breaston is a player with experience with Haley and his system in the exact role we need filled and would probably sign for far less.

I see Breaston as a guy we can get inked for 4-5 million a year and Smith would probably command 7-8.

Thats a big difference.

Breaston is a good WR but Smith is an elite WR. Dude is not only a deep threat but a clutch player on 3rd downs. He would be the best WR on this team.

Just Passin' By
06-22-2011, 12:53 AM
No way. Stanton has proved just as much as a starter in college and NFL as Cassel has and has more potential imo.

I'm not sure what you think Stanton's proved. In college, Cassel led his team to as many bowl games as a starter as Stanton did.

Titty Meat
06-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Stanton couldn't even beat out Shaun Hill.

BossChief
06-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Breaston is a good WR but Smith is an elite WR. Dude is not only a deep threat but a clutch player on 3rd downs. He would be the best WR on this team.

If we signed Smith, that would give us the best set of skill position weapons in the NFL. I think Cassel could really blossom with Zorns coaching and those weapons.

Bowe
Baldwin
Smith
Moeaki
Charles

You can pretty much guarantee that on every play, somebody in that group isnt covered or has his man beat badly.

No team would dare put 8 in the box.

It would also place a lot of resources into one position, its all about price I guess.

If he would agree to a reasonable deal that wouldn't prohibit us from re-signing Bowe in the future it would be worth it.

I wouldn't sign Smith if it means we lose Bowe.

He wouldnt be the best receiver on the team, either.

Titty Meat
06-22-2011, 01:10 AM
If we signed Smith, that would give us the best set of skill position weapons in the NFL. I think Cassel could really blossom with Zorns coaching and those weapons.

Bowe
Baldwin
Smith
Moeaki
Charles

You can pretty much guarantee that on every play, somebody in that group isnt covered or has his man beat badly.

No team would dare put 8 in the box.

It would also place a lot of resources into one position, its all about price I guess.

If he would agree to a reasonable deal that wouldn't prohibit us from re-signing Bowe in the future it would be worth it.

I wouldn't sign Smith if it means we lose Bowe.

Let me ask you this.... Who's the more dynamic play maker between Bowe and Smith?

BossChief
06-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Let me ask you this.... Who's the more dynamic play maker between Bowe and Smith?

Let me think.

Last year Bowe had 15 touchdowns.

Steve Smith was drafted the same year and has 11 career touchdowns.

Bowe has 20 more career touchdowns.

Huard
Thigpen
Cassel

He is also ten times the blocker Smith is.

Should I go on?

Titty Meat
06-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Let me think.

Last year Bowe had 15 touchdowns.

Steve Smith was drafted the same year and has 11 career touchdowns.

Bowe has 20 more career touchdowns.

Huard
Thigpen
Cassel

He is also ten times the blocker Smith is.

Should I go on?

You also have another guy named Johnathan Baldwin who's supposedly the same player. What you forgot to mention and this was on purpose to make your argument look better is Smith only played in 9 games last year and had 48 receptions. The year before he had 107 the guy is an ascending player who can line up either outside or at the slot position. He is the perfect fit for this offense.

Titty Meat
06-22-2011, 01:27 AM
BTW i'm not suggesting letting Bowe go. If you are forced to spend 90% of the salary cap theres room for all 3 of those guys.

BossChief
06-22-2011, 02:18 AM
You also have another guy named Johnathan Baldwin who's supposedly the same player. What you forgot to mention and this was on purpose to make your argument look better is Smith only played in 9 games last year and had 48 receptions. The year before he had 107 the guy is an ascending player who can line up either outside or at the slot position. He is the perfect fit for this offense.

So, I purposely left out the fact that Smith has missed a bunch of games due to injury to try and help my side of the argument?

How does that even make sense?

If I wanted to strengthen my argument, I would add everything I could against the player I was arguing against.

He WAS an ascending player 9 games into last season before he went on IR with knee and pectoral issues.

Going further into it, he has cartilage damage in the knee that may cause further problems.

06-22-2011, 02:24 AM
just say no to Thursday night football.

milkman
06-22-2011, 06:30 AM
didn't the raiders put a 1st and 3rd tender on Bush? I'm sure they'll pay him starter money to keep him because they are retards

Do you not understand the concept of unrestricted free agency?

The Bad Guy
06-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Yeah, you're full of shit.

Stanton has done nothing in the NFL.

milkman
06-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Yeah, you're full of shit.

Stanton has done nothing in the NFL.

Stanton is a career quality back up QB.

He's exactly the kind of QB you want on the sidelines.

But so is Cassel.

DeezNutz
06-22-2011, 07:58 AM
In three years, Stanton has thrown 187 passes in 13 games. Roughly 14 passes per game on average.

The sample size is so small that we really don't know what the hell he is or could be. He could be a stud, or he could be trash.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-22-2011, 11:50 AM

I must have missed Stanton throwing 27 TD's last season.

vailpass
06-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Bowe
Baldwin
Smith
Moeaki
Charles

LMAO

Titty Meat
06-22-2011, 11:52 AM
In three years, Stanton has thrown 187 passes in 13 games. Roughly 14 passes per game on average.

The sample size is so small that we really don't know what the hell he is or could be. He could be a stud, or he could be trash.

He couldn't beat out Shaun Hill.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-22-2011, 11:52 AM

You really have to ask this question LMAO. Bowe by a mile, he gets the ball in the endzone.

The Franchise
06-22-2011, 11:58 AM
He couldn't beat out Shaun Hill.

You act like Shaun Hill is so fucking horrible.

Mr. Laz
06-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Good For Chiefs: Franchise Tag Expected To Remain In Next CBA
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/6/22/2237448/kansas-city-chiefs-franchise-tag-cba
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/profile_images/240996/headshot_tiny.jpg by Joel Thorman (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Joel%20Thorman) on Jun 22, 2011 12:52 PM CDT (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/6/22/2237448/kansas-city-chiefs-franchise-tag-cba)

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1474326/GYI0062635279.jpg (http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1474326/GYI0062635279.jpg) Otto Greule Jr - Getty Images

We mentioned this yesterday but it's worth emphasizing again -- the franchise tag is expected to remain in the next collective bargaining agreement. ESPN's Chris Mortensen has a lengthy list of details in the next CBA (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/6/22/2237367/cba-owners-players-nfl-lockout) and confirmed that the discussions have included an expectation that the franchise tag will remain.
This is great but not completely unexpected news for the Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/kansas-city-chiefs). That's because they used the franchise tag on a guy named LB Tamba Hali (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2371/tamba-hali) before the lockout went into effect.
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v777cf8a.jpg
Reportedly, Hali hasn't signed his franchise tag tender yet. From what I can gather the Chiefs want to sign him to a long-term deal so Hali signing the tender could be a formality. Sign the tender, secure 2011's salary, and then work on a more cap-friendly, long-term deal from there. That's my hope, at least.
If the franchise tag wasn't included in the new CBA...whoa, I don't even want to think about that. Hali could hit the open market and, though the Chiefs could still re-sign him, the competition could raise his price tag. It's also possible he could leave KC. A Chiefs defense without Tamba Hali is not a defense I want to see. He's only the league's most productive pass-rusher (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/3/16/2053920/tamba-hali-pass-rusher).
Moving forward, the presence of the franchise tag could continue to be important for the Chiefs. Guys like WR Dwayne Bowe and CB Brandon Flowers are entering the final year of their contracts so it sounds like the Chiefs could have the tag at their disposal if they choose to use it.

Titty Meat
06-22-2011, 12:30 PM
You act like Shaun Hill is so ****ing horrible.

No I don't but Matt Cassel is better than Shaun Hill and you all act as if Stanton would beat out Cassel. I find it comical.

Titty Meat
06-22-2011, 12:34 PM
You really have to ask this question LMAO. Bowe by a mile, he gets the ball in the endzone.

Different roles. Bowe is a good WR but he doesn't deserve Fitzgearld money until he atleast gets a catch in a playoff game.

Skyy God
06-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Do you not understand the concept of unrestricted free agency?

There's actually a question of whether his rookie IR year will count as a year of service.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4156/michael-bush

Pasta Little Brioni
06-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Different roles. Bowe is a good WR but he doesn't deserve Fitzgearld money until he atleast gets a catch in a playoff game.

So, you were serious.

The Franchise
06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
No I don't but Matt Cassel is better than Shaun Hill and you all act as if Stanton would beat out Cassel. I find it comical.

I never said that. I want Stanton as a backup until Stanzi gets brought up.

BigCatDaddy
06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I never said that. I want Stanton as a backup until Stanzi gets brought up.

So far Cassell has been shown to not be injury prone so I would bet Stanzi starts the year as the backup.

BossChief
06-22-2011, 01:04 PM
So far Cassell has been shown to not be injury prone so I would bet Stanzi starts the year as the backup.

:facepalm:

Titty Meat
06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
So, you were serious.

Are you one of those Sidney Rice people?

ModSocks
06-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Haven't seen anyone mention James Jones. Seems like a versatile enough receiver to play the slot.

Titty Meat
06-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Haven't seen anyone mention James Jones. Seems like a versatile enough receiver to play the slot.

Good player but he's wildly inconsistent.

BossChief
06-22-2011, 01:21 PM

Forgot about him. He would also be a good fit.

ShowtimeSBMVP
06-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Chiefs gonna sign ricky williams .........

ModSocks
06-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Good player but he's wildly inconsistent.

true dat.

But if he can work on his drops and be ok with not being a #1 or 2, he would be a GREAT pick up.

ModSocks
06-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Chiefs gonna sign ricky williams .........

I actually wouldn't mind that. He has more in the tank than Thomas Jones.

Skyy God
06-22-2011, 01:33 PM
I actually wouldn't mind that. He has more in the tank than Thomas Jones.

Indeed. His YPC last year actually exceeded his career average.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Are you one of those Sidney Rice people?

Huh? Smith would be a better fit for this offense over Rice, but he isn't a bigger playmaker than Bowe. After drafting Baldwin, I really don't think they spend big money on a slot guy. Already too many touches to give to Charles, Bowe, Moe, Baldwin, and yes everyone's favorite punching bag Dex.

Titty Meat
06-22-2011, 01:39 PM
true dat.

But if he can work on his drops and be ok with not being a #1 or 2, he would be a GREAT pick up.

I agree with this. I wouldn't be mad if we signed him.

Mr. Laz
06-27-2011, 10:46 AM
<table width="99%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><tr><td id="dnn_LeftPane" class="LeftPane" valign="top">

</td> <td id="dnn_ContentPane" class="ContentPane" valign="top"> <table> <tbody><tr> <td> Source: Legitimate issues could cause Labor talks to fall apart

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> <table width="50px" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CC0000"> Jun</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"> 27</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top"> 6/27/2011 11:11:34 AM <table> <tbody><tr> <td> | More
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> The NFL owners and players have negotiated for nine days in Chicago, New York, Maryland's Eastern Shore and Boston over the past four weeks. Albert Breer of NFL Network (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8207eed2/article/sides-must-reach-resolution-soon-to-preserve-full-preseason) reports one source has said about five hours or work goes into every hour of face-to-face talks.

Thursday they talked about a rookie pay system for the first time and the talks were reportedly difficult.
The numbers aren't the only issues. Among the players' concerns are finding a way to replace the effect such contracts have on the veteran market, and also get those high picks to free agency quicker (as it stands, six-year contracts are allowable for the high first-round picks making big money).
The sides have largely spent the last four weeks discussing the revenue split. And it's not just the revenue now, but also how to account for the league's future growth, particularly when the 2014 television deals are done.
Last week, one team executive told NFL Network the league and players are within "striking distance" of a deal, but that nothing was close or imminent. But another involved exec said: "There are enough legitimate issues to where it could all fall down still. They're dealing with that stuff."
Some internal deadlines have July 15 as the date a deal needs to be done to save the preseason in its natural form. At any rate, the sides are working against time now.
The two sides return to the bargaining table later this week for another round of talks.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

</td></tr></tr></tbody></table>

vailpass
06-27-2011, 10:56 AM
So they have agreed on some issues and moved on to other issues on which they haven't hammered out an agreement yet.
Not exactly a scoop on Breer's part.

philfree
06-27-2011, 10:59 AM
<table width="99%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><tr><td id="dnn_LeftPane" class="LeftPane" valign="top">

</td> <td id="dnn_ContentPane" class="ContentPane" valign="top"> <table> <tbody><tr> <td> Source: Legitimate issues could cause Labor talks to fall apart

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> <table width="50px" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CC0000"> Jun</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"> 27</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top"> 6/27/2011 11:11:34 AM <table> <tbody><tr> <td> | More
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> The NFL owners and players have negotiated for nine days in Chicago, New York, Maryland's Eastern Shore and Boston over the past four weeks. Albert Breer of NFL Network (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8207eed2/article/sides-must-reach-resolution-soon-to-preserve-full-preseason) reports one source has said about five hours or work goes into every hour of face-to-face talks.

Thursday they talked about a rookie pay system for the first time and the talks were reportedly difficult.
The numbers aren't the only issues. Among the players' concerns are finding a way to replace the effect such contracts have on the veteran market, and also get those high picks to free agency quicker (as it stands, six-year contracts are allowable for the high first-round picks making big money).
The sides have largely spent the last four weeks discussing the revenue split. And it's not just the revenue now, but also how to account for the league's future growth, particularly when the 2014 television deals are done.
Last week, one team executive told NFL Network the league and players are within "striking distance" of a deal, but that nothing was close or imminent. But another involved exec said: "There are enough legitimate issues to where it could all fall down still. They're dealing with that stuff."
Some internal deadlines have July 15 as the date a deal needs to be done to save the preseason in its natural form. At any rate, the sides are working against time now.
The two sides return to the bargaining table later this week for another round of talks.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

</td></tr></tr></tbody></table>

Through all the talks this is the first time we've heard this. As logical as a rookie pay scale sounds the vets won't want to lose that leverage.

PhilFree:arrow:

vailpass
06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Through all the talks this is the first time we've heard this. As logical as a rookie pay scale sounds the vets won't want to lose that leverage.

It is a good sign, it means they are talking details.

philfree
06-27-2011, 11:22 AM
It is a good sign, it means they are talking details.

Yeah it is. I guess they're getting down to the nut cutting.

ShowtimeSBMVP
06-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Report: Players meet with antitrust lawyers on Monday

Posted by Mike Florio on June 27, 2011, 1:43 PM EDT

Getty Images
With the current break in the labor talks now at four days and counting, Monday’s developments include an intriguing twist, about which it’s hard to make much sense absent context.

Barry Wilner of the Associated Press reports that a small group of players met on Monday with their lawyers. The meeting occurred in Minneapolis.

Writes Wilner: “A person familiar with the situation says the players’ side met on its own, without owners. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no labor developments are being made public.”

Except, of course, for the developments that were deliberately leaked to Wilner, who covers pro football for a wire service capable of getting the word out to the broadest possible audience.

And that makes us wonder what message the players are trying to send. Possibly, the players want the NFL to realize that they remain willing to push the litigation process, which many owners believe lawyers Jeffrey Kessler (pictured) and Jim Quinn aggressively are advocating. Without knowing who precisely is attending, it’s hard to know what it means.

If, for example, NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith isn’t present, the chances of Kessler and Quinn persuading the players to hold firm and, if necessary, miss games could increase.

Without knowing more about the specific dynamics of the talks, it’s hard to know what this news means. But we doubt that the information accidentally was revealed to Wilner, and it’s safe to assume that the report has surfaced for a reason. The simplest explanation would be that the players want the owners to know that the desire to get a deal doesn’t equate to giving the owners their way on the many issues unrelated to the revenue split.

As to the choice of the location — Minneapolis — Occam’s Razor would suggest that the next wave of undisclosed meetings between the league and the players will occur in that same area. In fact, it’s possible (and, at this point, preferred) that the talks return to the federal courthouse in Minneapolis, with Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan taking control and instructing the parties that they’ll be staying in town until the deal gets done.

vailpass
06-27-2011, 11:52 AM
I'd like to think the owners are taking note of specific players names and will covertly collude to fuck them out of their careers.

The Franchise
06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I'd like to think the owners are taking note of specific players names and will covertly collude to fuck them out of their careers.

I'd find it hilarious.

Titty Meat
06-27-2011, 03:00 PM
This shit is to be expected but these writers are all dramatic about it.

Mr. Laz
06-27-2011, 03:09 PM
NFL plans to enforce personal conduct policy after lockout

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/static/NL.png (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/newsletter_join.html)

The one-man crimewave of Tennessee Titans star wide receiver Kenny Britt is unlikely to escape the long arm of the NFL personal conduct policy.
According to league spokesman Greg Aiello, the NFL plans to enforce violations (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110627/SPORTS01/306270028/What-conduct-punishable-after-NFL-lockout-?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports%20Tennessee%20Titans) of the law that occurred during the lockout even though there's no collective bargaining agreement in place.
“The personal conduct policy is not part of the CBA,” Aiello told the Tennessean. “It is a league policy established by the commissioner. We review any violations of law by NFL employees for potential discipline. The personal conduct policy is not being applied to players now but will be applied when they return. Players will be held accountable for violations of law that occurred during the lockout.”
Britt has a pair of arrests during the lockout in New Jersey.
He also has outstanding warrants awaiting him in Tennessee.
He says his Facebook account was hacked when he had status updates insulting NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who's in charge of meting out discipline under the policy.
Two sports law professors have differing views on whether the NFL can punish players who commit infractions during the work stoppage.
“They’ve frozen the employment of NFL players,” said Michael McCann, director of the Sports Law Institute at Vermont Law School McCann said. “So … the players will likely say, ‘If we’re not getting paid, then we’re not obligated to follow our contracts. You’re preventing us from obtaining our employment benefits, so why should we have to satisfy our employment obligations?’ That’s what employment is — a series of benefits and obligations.”
And Gary Roberts, the dean of the Indiana University School of Law in Indianapolis, disagrees.
“The lockout does not render the code of conduct ineffective,” Roberts said. “The players (those under contract) are still employees and thus subject to league rules and policies. Conduct occurring during the lockout can still violate the policy. What penalties might be enforceable during the lockout might be an interesting question, but once the lockout ends they could easily be enforced then.”
Titans safety Chris Hope agrees with that point.
“You’re still part of the NFL and you’re still representing the shield,” Hope said. “I’m sure when the lockout is lifted, you want all the other rules to come back into play, whether you were supposed to get a bonus or any other positive incentive that comes along with being in the NFL.
“You don’t want all those things to cancel. So I assume that (even with the lockout), the rules shouldn’t change. You’re still in the NFL.”
Follow me on Twitter: RavensInsider (http://www.twitter.com/ravensinsider)

Psyko Tek
06-27-2011, 05:18 PM
You don't cut a 1st time pro bowler this soon in his career. are you fucking crazy?????

trade his ass

BigMeatballDave
06-27-2011, 07:50 PM
And we can pay them after we cut Tyson Jackson next season.This is his 3rd season. I won't be surprised if he turns things around this fall.

I can dream. :)

Just Passin' By
06-27-2011, 07:53 PM
NFL plans to enforce personal conduct policy after lockout

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/static/NL.png (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/newsletter_join.html)

The one-man crimewave of Tennessee Titans star wide receiver Kenny Britt is unlikely to escape the long arm of the NFL personal conduct policy.
According to league spokesman Greg Aiello, the NFL plans to enforce violations (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110627/SPORTS01/306270028/What-conduct-punishable-after-NFL-lockout-?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports%20Tennessee%20Titans) of the law that occurred during the lockout even though there's no collective bargaining agreement in place.
“The personal conduct policy is not part of the CBA,” Aiello told the Tennessean. “It is a league policy established by the commissioner. We review any violations of law by NFL employees for potential discipline. The personal conduct policy is not being applied to players now but will be applied when they return. Players will be held accountable for violations of law that occurred during the lockout.”
Britt has a pair of arrests during the lockout in New Jersey.
He also has outstanding warrants awaiting him in Tennessee.
He says his Facebook account was hacked when he had status updates insulting NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who's in charge of meting out discipline under the policy.
Two sports law professors have differing views on whether the NFL can punish players who commit infractions during the work stoppage.
“They’ve frozen the employment of NFL players,” said Michael McCann, director of the Sports Law Institute at Vermont Law School McCann said. “So … the players will likely say, ‘If we’re not getting paid, then we’re not obligated to follow our contracts. You’re preventing us from obtaining our employment benefits, so why should we have to satisfy our employment obligations?’ That’s what employment is — a series of benefits and obligations.”
And Gary Roberts, the dean of the Indiana University School of Law in Indianapolis, disagrees.
“The lockout does not render the code of conduct ineffective,” Roberts said. “The players (those under contract) are still employees and thus subject to league rules and policies. Conduct occurring during the lockout can still violate the policy. What penalties might be enforceable during the lockout might be an interesting question, but once the lockout ends they could easily be enforced then.”
Titans safety Chris Hope agrees with that point.
“You’re still part of the NFL and you’re still representing the shield,” Hope said. “I’m sure when the lockout is lifted, you want all the other rules to come back into play, whether you were supposed to get a bonus or any other positive incentive that comes along with being in the NFL.
“You don’t want all those things to cancel. So I assume that (even with the lockout), the rules shouldn’t change. You’re still in the NFL.”
Follow me on Twitter: RavensInsider (http://www.twitter.com/ravensinsider)

The players in question will take that to court, and they should win.