PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Jack Gage American Tavern?

gblowfish
06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Any CPers been there? Just south of the Plaza around 51st and Main?
Been recommended to try for dinner, just wanted to know if you'd been there, and if so, what's good on the menu, or not so good?

http://www.jackgagekc.com/index.html

OnTheWarpath15
06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
I think Kyle has a friend that either runs and/or owns the place.

HonestChieffan
06-22-2011, 04:05 PM
I've eaten there. Pretty laid back, not all frills, comfort food, great bar. Staff is top notch

|Zach|
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I went and really enjoyed it. Laid back...nice atmosphere. Good food and a lot of different stuff. Good staff.

yhf
06-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I have been there several times for lunch, always stuck with the burgers and I was never disappointed. One of the daytime barmaids is worth the price of admission, I forget her name, bitch is so fine I'd suck her daddys dick. I have heard good things about the chicken and waffles but as I recall they were a bit higher priced than I thought they should be.

AustinChief
06-22-2011, 04:36 PM
I think Kyle has a friend that either runs and/or owns the place.

My cousin owns the place.

Tons of good stuff, the crab mac and cheese is one of many popular items... (I wouldn't know since I don't like crab). Another item to look into is the chicken and waffles.

I'm partial to the sliders.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-22-2011, 04:36 PM
is it still open? It was reportedly closing at one point...

AustinChief
06-22-2011, 04:39 PM
is it still open? It was reportedly closing at one point...

Open as of yesterday, so I'm guessing that was just a rumor. I haven't heard anything at all about them closing.

Bill Brasky
06-22-2011, 05:34 PM
I've been there for Sunday brunch and normal lunch. Service was top notch, and food was good.

sedated
06-22-2011, 05:45 PM
I went there once. Seems like its slanted toward southern food. I had fried chicken and mashed potatoes, and it was good, but my GF's shrimp and grits were better. Its worth a try, even if just a change of pace from the usual chain restaurants.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-22-2011, 07:15 PM
http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/02/jack_gage_american_tavern_file.php

AustinChief
06-22-2011, 07:23 PM
http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/02/jack_gage_american_tavern_file.php

yeah, if you notice the update from months ago... they had a legal issue with the landlord and some agreements that weren't being upheld (I don't know the details, so don't ask me)

At no point were they intending to close. Incomplete initial reporting by The Pitch, but at least they followed up with the update.

btw, the guy who wrote the article, Charles Ferruzza, wrote an original review of the place that was glowing.

http://www.pitch.com/2010-01-07/restaurants/kansas-city-s-jack-gage-american-tavern/

Marcellus
06-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Next time I am in town I will have to go there and The Peanut.

KCUnited
06-22-2011, 08:21 PM
I live in the neighborhood and frequent it often (plan to take the in-laws who will be up from Joplin on Saturday).

I like the Kentucky Hot Brown and the wood fired rotisserie chicken. The crab mac is legit. I've seen the filet medallions topped with crab and was told by my wife's boss that it was incredible. My wife claims the JG salad is her second favorite salad in KC.

The chicken and spatzle is just decent.

The chicken and waffle is absurdly sweet, dessert-like.

The staff has always been outstanding, once having gone out of their way to accommodate a last minute larger party for us.

I've been for several happy hours, which is where I think they may struggle as we are often times the only ones in there. Nice upstairs lounge area for ambient cocktail environment.

We really like the place.

Demonpenz
06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Kansas City really has good places to eat.

burt
06-23-2011, 06:14 AM

That is why Kansas City has so many fat people......but then again, that poll was taken BEFORE I left........ might be different now.....

gblowfish
06-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Had dinner last night before going to the Lyle Lovett/John Hiatt show (which was really great btw.)

The good: Wifey had salmon, she said it was great. I had the mac & cheese with crab bake, and it was also great. Very rich, more than I could eat, had to take about half of it to go.

Wait staff was very good. They were on it, did a nice job.

The bad: They were out of Newcastle Brown on tap (one of my faves) and brought me some shit beer in a bottle from Colorado (not Coors) that was supposed to be close. Not even close. And, the bar had NO Crown Royal. How does that happen in a bar?

All in all, give it about a 6.5 on a 10. If they would have had my beer or Crown would have been an 8.

angelo
06-23-2011, 08:58 PM
I live in the neighborhood and frequent it often (plan to take the in-laws who will be up from Joplin on Saturday).

I like the Kentucky Hot Brown and the wood fired rotisserie chicken. The crab mac is legit. I've seen the filet medallions topped with crab and was told by my wife's boss that it was incredible. My wife claims the JG salad is her second favorite salad in KC.

The chicken and spatzle is just decent.

The chicken and waffle is absurdly sweet, dessert-like.

The staff has always been outstanding, once having gone out of their way to accommodate a last minute larger party for us.

I've been for several happy hours, which is where I think they may struggle as we are often times the only ones in there. Nice upstairs lounge area for ambient cocktail environment.

We really like the place.

I too live in the neighborhood and have been several times. I know the chef and he is solid. The food is good and the Alabama white Bbq sauce is interesting.

Ang

KCUnited
06-23-2011, 09:29 PM
I too live in the neighborhood and have been several times. I know the chef and he is solid. The food is good and the Alabama white Bbq sauce is interesting.

Ang

I've shied away from the Alabama white bbq sauce because a) I don't know what the **** that means and b) we live in the bbq sauce capital of the entire world already.

You ever tried the Eggs All Day? I'm a big eggs benedict guy (First Watch, ftw), but I read Bourdain advises against it during the weekends.

I'm thinking of trying them this weekend.

angelo
06-24-2011, 06:33 AM
The white BBQ sauce is really just a mayonnaise based sauce. Like I said it was interesting and used mainly for chicken. My wife has had brunch and said it was good. As for Eggs Benedict, I am also leery of ordering them out.
You will rarely find from scratch hollandaise sauce. It will more than likely be canned or powder. While it will protect you from food borne illness it will lack flavor and consistency.
There used to be Meierhoffs in westport had good Eggs Benedict, but they are long gone.
If I find a good place I will let you know. Over all I am highly disappointed in the quality of breakfast restaurants in the Kansas city area.

Ang

KCUnited
06-24-2011, 07:17 AM
The white BBQ sauce is really just a mayonnaise based sauce. Like I said it was interesting and used mainly for chicken. My wife has had brunch and said it was good. As for Eggs Benedict, I am also leery of ordering them out.
You will rarely find from scratch hollandaise sauce. It will more than likely be canned or powder. While it will protect you from food borne illness it will lack flavor and consistency.
There used to be Meierhoffs in westport had good Eggs Benedict, but they are long gone.
If I find a good place I will let you know. Over all I am highly disappointed in the quality of breakfast restaurants in the Kansas city area.

Ang

Hmmmm, I may have to give it whirl then as I frequent drummies off my own grill.

sedated
06-24-2011, 08:00 AM
I've shied away from the Alabama white bbq sauce because a) I don't know what the **** that means and b) we live in the bbq sauce capital of the entire world already.

I've heard of it. Doesn't look much like a "BBQ sauce", more just a coating for fried chicken right after it comes out of the fryer, and most of it drips off, leaving a thin coating. I've wanted to try it; didn't know a place in KC served it.

KCUnited
06-24-2011, 08:12 AM
I've seen it on their menu, but it didn't sound good being "white" (the sauce, not me).

Ang has my interest peaked. I'll be there tomorrow with the in-laws, FML, and I'll give it try. I'll be sure to report back.

MOhillbilly
06-24-2011, 08:31 AM

and yet when the Clan are in town we got to cookie cutter food joints.

they ordered rib crib BBQ....IN FN KANSAS CITY!

Dartgod
06-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Another item to look into is the chicken and waffles.

So WTF is the deal with chicken and waffles?

I've heard of this before, but don't get the connection.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane
06-24-2011, 08:59 AM

No its doesn't

/Bono

But then actually maybe that why we are in the top ten of Americas fattest cities

gblowfish
06-24-2011, 10:10 AM

Ang

Well, I don't know about eggs benedict, but you can get a great breakfast at The Big Biscuit on US 40 and Lee's Summit Rd in Independence (across the street from where Stephenson's used to be). They make awesome breakfast with just about anything you could possibly want, except maybe eggs benedict.

http://www.bigbiscuitrestaurant.com/

And for you Beakers that think Independence is on the other side of the world somewhere, they just opened a Big Biscuit in Shawnee, so you can go to that one instead!

sedated
06-24-2011, 02:45 PM
So WTF is the deal with chicken and waffles?

I've heard of this before, but don't get the connection.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think its a play on sweet and savory. Or maybe because maple syrup is good on both.

luv
06-24-2011, 03:00 PM
New place to try next time I'm in town?

Demonpenz
06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
google roscoe chicken and waffles.

|Zach|
06-24-2011, 03:21 PM
New place to try next time I'm in town?

I think you would enjoy it but it is the kinda place you would see in Springfield as well. You may wanna go for something for different while in KC.

KCUnited
06-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Niecie's for chicken and waffles.

KCUnited
06-25-2011, 03:17 PM
It was closed today. Can't say if it is temporary or permanent, but they were loading up all the furniture.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-25-2011, 08:27 PM
It was closed today. Can't say if it is temporary or permanent, but they were loading up all the furniture.

Jack Gage?

AustinChief
06-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Jack Gage?

Yep, looks like it actually did close this time. I haven't had a chance to talk to my cousin, so no clue as to the circumstances. Unfortunately, it's a volatile business... I'd never open a restaurant myself, I don't have the patience for the whole mess.

HonestChieffan
06-25-2011, 09:04 PM
bummer

angelo
06-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Well, I don't know about eggs benedict, but you can get a great breakfast at The Big Biscuit on US 40 and Lee's Summit Rd in Independence (across the street from where Stephenson's used to be). They make awesome breakfast with just about anything you could possibly want, except maybe eggs benedict.

http://www.bigbiscuitrestaurant.com/

And for you Beakers that think Independence is on the other side of the world somewhere, they just opened a Big Biscuit in Shawnee, so you can go to that one instead!

I have been to the big biscuit and it was okay. I will say that the service was very good. I am not trying to poo poo anyone suggestions. I have first hand experience with cooking breakfast in a restaurant. You will not find a harsher critic.

Ang