PDA

View Full Version : Life Driving to Breckenridge, CO...

Mile High Mania
06-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Ok - so at some point this summer, we're loading up and driving from Dallas to Breckenridge. It's about 6-7 hours from here to Amarillo and then another 8-9 hour from there to Breckenridge.

We're thinking about going somewhere within a 4 hour drive of Amarillo for a day or 2 - possibly Santa Fe. And, then driving up to Breckenridge.

I was curious if any of you had suggestions on a good route to take, sites to see ... something that a family with kids (ages 5-9) would enjoy. If it takes us 2-3 days to get to Breckenridge, that's fine - we'll be there for a while, just looking to make it an enjoyable Griswold family vacation and make the drive fun.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions...

Brock
06-25-2011, 10:49 AM
That drive is going to be really nice just going in a straight line up 285. Just avoid the interstate, that isn't an interesting drive at all.

PunkinDrublic
06-25-2011, 10:50 AM
I would stop and eat at the Texan. The place that has the 72 oz steak.

alanm
06-25-2011, 10:55 AM
That drive is going to be really nice just going in a straight line up 285. Just avoid the interstate, that isn't an interesting drive at all.Gone that way a few times. Speed limit is 70 in Texas and 65 from Oklahoma on north. Scenery is all scrub brush and sage the whole way though. So you're not getting much in that department. But I love that stuff so it doesn't bother me.

HonestChieffan
06-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Raton is nice

loochy
06-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Seriously though...I live in Fort Worth (grew up in Wichita Falls) and all of my Dad's family live in Taos so I've taken the first part of your drive about a million times.

If you are wanting a pretty drive and not the fastest route, go like this:

Dallas to Wichita Falls to Amarillo (fast)

Amarillo to Dumas to Dalhart to Clayton NM (fast)

Clayton NM to Springer to Cimmarron (suuuper fast...i think between Clayton and Springer is about a 90 mile stretch of absolute no man's land with good road and little traffic. I've never seen a cop here and you should be safe driving > 100 mph)

Cimmarron to Eagle Nest to Taos (super slow but absolutely beautiful and senic...canyon driving)

Taos to Questa to Costilla to San Luis CO to Alamosa CO (somewhat fast and pretty damn senic...driving in open meadow with giant mountains to your east)

Alamosa to Breckenridge

loochy
06-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Raton is nice

If you just go through Raton you are missing all of the good stuff

loochy
06-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Santa Fe is really cool with lots to eat and see there.

Taos is really cool too...its a very unique and historic town and I'd say it's worth a night's stay.

I say blast on through Amarillo and don't stop until you get to Santa Fe or Taos. Give yourself more time to enjoy the nice stuff in NM and Colorado. Amarillo is not worth wasting a night's stay over. Get up and leave at 5 and you'll make Taos or Santa Fe by 4 or 5 (you get an extra hour because of the time zone change at the NM border).

Mile High Mania
06-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Seriously though...I live in Fort Worth (grew up in Wichita Falls) and all of my Dad's family live in Taos so I've taken the first part of your drive about a million times.

If you are wanting a pretty drive and not the fastest route, go like this:

Dallas to Wichita Falls to Amarillo (fast)

Amarillo to Dumas to Dalhart to Clayton NM (fast)

Clayton NM to Springer to Cimmarron (suuuper fast...i think between Clayton and Springer is about a 90 mile stretch of absolute no man's land with good road and little traffic. I've never seen a cop here and you should be safe driving > 100 mph)

Cimmarron to Eagle Nest to Taos (super slow but absolutely beautiful and senic...canyon driving)

Taos to Questa to Costilla to San Luis CO to Alamosa CO (somewhat fast and pretty damn senic...driving in open meadow with giant mountains to your east)

Alamosa to Breckenridge

Cool - thanks. Yeah, we're looking to take our time... and enjoy the scenery.

Tombstone RJ
06-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Ok - so at some point this summer, we're loading up and driving from Dallas to Breckenridge. It's about 6-7 hours from here to Amarillo and then another 8-9 hour from there to Breckenridge.

We're thinking about going somewhere within a 4 hour drive of Amarillo for a day or 2 - possibly Santa Fe. And, then driving up to Breckenridge.

I was curious if any of you had suggestions on a good route to take, sites to see ... something that a family with kids (ages 5-9) would enjoy. If it takes us 2-3 days to get to Breckenridge, that's fine - we'll be there for a while, just looking to make it an enjoyable Griswold family vacation and make the drive fun.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions...

Skip Santa Fe, IMHO, it's overrated. Hit Taos instead. Then, when you get up into Colorado, try to pass by the Sangre De Cristos mountain range on your way to Breckenridge. Around that same general area is the Great Sand Dunes, epic.

Here's a tune for the drive:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yURRmWtbTbo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
06-25-2011, 11:37 AM
They'll enjoy the alpine slide.

http://www.gobreck.com/?gclid=CLrN-JrL0akCFY9V7AodXlpqMw

You're within 45 minutes of the Bristlecone pine spot I like so much.
In every colorado thread, I encourage people to visit one of my favorite places out there.
This link has a little information and directions. The photos don't do it justice. Oldest trees on earth, above the treeline and with views of gold mines.
http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/travel-ta-pike-national-forest-scenic-drives-colorado-sidwcmdev_068948.html

Okie_Apparition
06-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Find out how long it takes to toast those large marshmallows. If you place them on the roof/luggage rack of your car

Mile High Mania
06-26-2011, 06:18 AM
They'll enjoy the alpine slide.

http://www.gobreck.com/?gclid=CLrN-JrL0akCFY9V7AodXlpqMw

You're within 45 minutes of the Bristlecone pine spot I like so much.
In every colorado thread, I encourage people to visit one of my favorite places out there.
This link has a little information and directions. The photos don't do it justice. Oldest trees on earth, above the treeline and with views of gold mines.
http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/travel-ta-pike-national-forest-scenic-drives-colorado-sidwcmdev_068948.html

Thanks, I like the Taos suggestion and this one...