PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Any football coaches on CP? Question about OL...

Direckshun
06-28-2011, 06:47 PM
How difficult is the transition from guard to center, or center to guard?

I just ask because I'm watching Rodney Hudson's highlight flick, and he looks fucking monstrous.

He's never really played center, though... so how will all that translate?

Titty Meat
06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Dude just stop.

Direckshun
06-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Dude just stop.

You lost me.

Direckshun
06-28-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm serious, is there anything online that breaks down the transition from one position to the next?

Direckshun
06-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I tried googling it but it got me this hilarious racist forum bitching about minorities in sports.

http://www.castefootball.us/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=17&title=media-racism-and-stereotyping

I love the thread on how the racists in the forum are pissed off that whites can only play one position (center) on the offensive line. lolz

RealSNR
06-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Why are you asking about center to guard? Do you think we have other plans for Niswanger or Wiegmann?

Direckshun
06-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Why are you asking about center to guard? Do you think we have other plans for Niswanger or Wiegmann?

Well I'm mostly asking about Hudson. Niswanger actually plays guard better than he does center...

DomerNKC
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Grunhard was a guard at Notre Dame. He transitioned just fine.

Mr. Arrowhead
06-28-2011, 08:55 PM
there are alot of wanna be coaches on CP. So does that count?

NewChief
06-28-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm no coach, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

Center to Guard: shouldn't be that tough.
Guard to Center: depends on how cerebral the player is. The center is like the freaking general and tactician of the Oline. That's the reason that an undersized shit like Weigmann can make a career in the NFL.

Direckshun
06-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Not a single goddamn person here with a little expertise that could help us out?

RealSNR
06-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Not a single goddamn person here with a little expertise that could help us out?Mecca's AWOL. All the real football knowledge is gone

ChiefGator
06-29-2011, 05:45 AM
There is a huge difference between guards and centers. The difference is usually about three or four feet.

Essentially, transitioning from a guard to a center involves the following tricky steps:

1) Stand up
2) Make sure there isn't already someone in the center position. If there is, you may get a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct or unncessary roughness if you were to continnue.
3) If the spot is open, walk or slide over to that spot.
4) Squat back down
5) That thing in front of your face is callled a 'football'. Usually the center gets to rest his hand on that little leather pillow.
6) Watch out, cuz someone might put their hands on your butt. If they do, try to hit them with the little leather pillow.

Reerun_KC
06-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Not a single goddamn person here with a little expertise that could help us out?

ROFL

You have to be kidding right?

Pure comedy this am...

Deberg_1990
06-29-2011, 06:42 AM
I think Sully is a coach. PM him.

Chiefshrink
06-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Guard to Center: depends on how cerebral the player is. The center is like the freaking general and tactician of the Oline.

This. What a center is to football is what a catcher is to baseball. Better be able to read situations and looks 'accurately' and instruct his O-line colleagues in a heartbeat:thumb:

SuperChief
06-29-2011, 08:47 AM
The footwork is actually quite a bit different. As a guard, you must be able to move well in both tight spaces and in open space (i.e. pulling across the line, or even around the tackle). As a center, you're pretty much in a support role unless you're face up on a NT in 3-4 situations. Odds are, against most 4-3, the center is helping the weakside guard as he hedges towards the LBs.

In passing situations, the center always, always has to have their head on a swivel. The footwork is a little different in this instance - the guards might be kickstepping backwards or doing a "cup" type move to help form the pocket (picture the LG immediately after the snap stepping back with the right foot, then with the left back farther than where the right foot is so that the LG is at a 45-degree angle from the LOS facing left, but VERY quickly). The center, however, might have to just slide to either side or take one step back as to not collapse the pocket. In all honestly, it's very scheme dependent.

Hope that helps a little. It's very confusing to write about, but not so much to show someone, IMO.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2011, 08:49 AM
I hated playing center. Even though it was easy i never got over havin another mans hands on my choad.

Rooster
06-29-2011, 09:03 AM

It's easy.

LOCOChief
06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty sure that he has played center in college.

Direckshun
06-29-2011, 06:44 PM
The footwork is actually quite a bit different. As a guard, you must be able to move well in both tight spaces and in open space (i.e. pulling across the line, or even around the tackle). As a center, you're pretty much in a support role unless you're face up on a NT in 3-4 situations. Odds are, against most 4-3, the center is helping the weakside guard as he hedges towards the LBs.

In passing situations, the center always, always has to have their head on a swivel. The footwork is a little different in this instance - the guards might be kickstepping backwards or doing a "cup" type move to help form the pocket (picture the LG immediately after the snap stepping back with the right foot, then with the left back farther than where the right foot is so that the LG is at a 45-degree angle from the LOS facing left, but VERY quickly). The center, however, might have to just slide to either side or take one step back as to not collapse the pocket. In all honestly, it's very scheme dependent.

Hope that helps a little. It's very confusing to write about, but not so much to show someone, IMO.

What about the 3-4 situation? Is the center's job just to lunge and try to slow the nose just enough so that a guard can help?

ChiefGator
06-29-2011, 07:29 PM
What about the 3-4 situation? Is the center's job just to lunge and try to slow the nose just enough so that a guard can help?

Seems like you have been watching Weigmann too much. (okay.. that was a low blow.. I admit it. I actually like Weigmann. He just seems to end the season too light.) Noone should be "lunging"... As soon as you do that you are completely off balance.

BryanBusby
06-30-2011, 01:09 AM
I tried googling it but it got me this hilarious racist forum bitching about minorities in sports.

http://www.castefootball.us/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=17&title=media-racism-and-stereotyping

I love the thread on how the racists in the forum are pissed off that whites can only play one position (center) on the offensive line. lolz
Castefootball is a glorious goldmine of fail.

HoneyBadger
06-30-2011, 02:50 AM
Depends on the player. Some players transition from professional athlete to professional criminal quite well.

SuperChief
06-30-2011, 09:18 AM

In running situations, the center (along with one of the guards) have to double down on the NT to move him wherever need be. The NT's job is to eat up space and basically hunker down in the middle near the LOS. If the center simply lunges to hit the NT and prevent him from getting to the QB, it's still a lost cause - unless it's on a passing play. Then it's the center's job to (hopefully) go 1-on-1 with the NT to prevent a sack.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-30-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm suuuuure there are plenty of CPers with experience in coaching elite caliber athletes...PM Tribal, maybe the whispers he hears are the loud farts exploding from center's asses when they bend over to snap the ball.