PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Potential NBA lockout makes the NFL lockout look like child's play.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Holy shit.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/06/29/mike-monroe-it-only-gets-harder-for-owners-players/

According to NBA executives familiar with the league’s strategies, once the lockout is in place, the owners will push for a hard salary cap of $45 million, the elimination of guaranteed contracts and ask that the players swallow a 33 percent salary cut.

The concessions made in recent weeks, including the “flex cap” of $62 million and a guarantee of $2 billion in annual player payroll, will be off the table.

If this seems certain to guarantee the loss of the entire 2011-12 season, it is because there are owners who think it is necessary for the long-term viability of the league.

SPATCH
06-29-2011, 12:02 PM
GET OFF ME CHILD'S PLAY

bevischief
06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Don't care.

Stewie
06-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Something has to give. Don't most teams lose money and some of them ALOT of money? It's not like they have a sweet deal between the major networks shelling out billions for the NFL rights.

vailpass
06-29-2011, 12:07 PM
If an NBA regular season game is cancelled in the forest will anyone notice?

blaise
06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Something has to give. Don't most teams lose money and some of them ALOT of money? It's not like they have a sweet deal between the major networks shelling out billions for the NFL rights.

Yeah, and they've opened the books from what I understand. It's not like players can say, "You're lying." From what I've heard there's quite a few owners that are going to say they can't even do business the way things are now.

cmh6476
06-29-2011, 12:10 PM
so does that mean good college players will stick around more than a year? cool.

milkman
06-29-2011, 12:10 PM
As I undersatnd it, NBA players are in a better position to hold out on this lockout than thier NFL counterparts, because they will still get paid through the middle of what would have been the next NBA season.

Phobia
06-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Now, is the NBA those tall black men who play with hoops or the short Latinos in the tight pants who carry the sticks?

Rooster
Don't care.

This.. Send the NBA to Europe or shut it down.

Saul Good
Fortunately, NBA players seem like intelligent, well-educated men. I'm sure they have made wise decisions with their money, so their financial houses should all be in order.

They are more than capable of missing a year's worth of paychecks and could likely make as much or more in other fields.

blaise
06-29-2011, 12:12 PM
The guaranteed deals in the NBA can be a killer. You get a guy making 10MM sitting on the bench and not even playing a minute a game.
A system where a player is coveted in a trade, not because he plays, but because he has a stupid deal that expires next year is messed up.

blaise
06-29-2011, 12:13 PM
As I undersatnd it, NBA players are in a better position to hold out on this lockout than thier NFL counterparts, because they will still get paid through the middle of what would have been the next NBA season.

Most of them made more in a few years in the NBA than most players make in an NFL career.

milkman
06-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Now, is the NBA those tall black men who play with hoops or the short Latinos in the tight pants who carry the sticks?

Damn.

I gotta pay more attention.

I didn't know that Dirk Nowitske was a tall balck man.

Brock
06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Good luck with all that.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Man, lots of haters in this thread.

Phobia
06-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Damn.

Who?

Just Passin' By
06-29-2011, 12:16 PM
The guaranteed deals in the NBA can be a killer. You get a guy making 10MM sitting on the bench and not even playing a minute a game.
A system where a player is coveted in a trade, not because he plays, but because he has a stupid deal that expires next year is messed up.

Bad contracts happen in all the major sports. In the NFL, it ends up with teams eating the bonus money.

Saul Good
06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Damn.

He's very tall.

vailpass
06-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Fortunately, NBA players seem like intelligent, well-educated men. I'm sure they have made wise decisions with their money, so their financial houses should all be in order.

They are more than capable of missing a year's worth of paychecks and could likely make as much or more in other fields.

LMAO

morphius
06-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Yup, only CEO's deserve guaranteed contracts...

(this is necessarily pointed at you blaise)

milkman
06-29-2011, 12:21 PM
He's very tall.

Hell, at my height, I could say that about almost any NBA player.

Apparently, I could say that about almost any planeteer.

blaise
06-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Yup, only CEO's deserve guaranteed contracts...

A CEO's contract doesn't mean a team has to have Vin Baker sit on the bench instead of getting a guy that might actually play.

vailpass
06-29-2011, 12:23 PM
A CEO's contract doesn't mean a team has to have Vin Baker sit on the bench instead of getting a guy that might actually play.

Anyone that would argue the current state of NBA contracts aren't the most team-detrimental in all of US pro sports is either being disingenuous or is downright dumb.

Anyone that would argue it matters even a little bit if the NBA misses one regular season game, all of them, or blows away to Lithuania is also sadly mistaken.

milkman
06-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Anyone that would argue the current state of NBA contracts aren't the most team-detrimental in all of US pro sports is either being disingenuous or is downright dumb.

Not sure.

MLB contracts are guaranteed, as well.

The thing that separates the NBA from MLB is the cap and the smaller rosters.

Saul Good
06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Hell, at my height, I could say that about almost any NBA player.

Apparently, I could say that about almost any planeteer.

Also, I assume that by "balck man", you mean that he looks like a cross between Mayim Balik of "Blossom" fame and Balki Bartokomous from "Perfect Strangers". I can't disagree with that description of Dirk.

Just Passin' By
06-29-2011, 12:36 PM

Don't blame the leagues. Blame the management teams who are signing the players. Vern Gholston, Albert Haynesworth, and many more can be pointed to as examples of similar things happening in the NFL.

ChiefsCountry
06-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Man, lots of haters in this thread.

KU fans think college ball is the best. ROFL

blaise
06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Don't blame the leagues. Blame the management teams who are signing the players. Vern Gholston, Albert Haynesworth, and many more can be pointed to as examples of similar things happening in the NFL.

I don't blame anyone really. I like the NBA. At the same time it can be crappy when a team gets stuck in the merry go round of bad deals and mediocrity. They just start trading bad deal for bad deal. Or bad deal for hurt player. I know other sports suffer from it, as well, but it seems to affect on floor product more for the NBA. To me, anyway.

KCUnited
06-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Ray Lewis' theory might actually hold some water with the NBA lockout.

Demonpenz
06-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Jimmer's going down to the glitter factory to make it rain

Hydrae
06-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Given how well the Finals were followed this year, this would be an incredibly stupid time to lose games to a contract dispute.

Nightfyre
06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
People watch the nba?

boogblaster
06-29-2011, 03:13 PM
who cares ....

vailpass
06-29-2011, 03:19 PM
If you had to pick one to save with the other two dissapearing forever which would you choose:

A-The NBA
B-The US Soccer Team
C-NFL Pre-Season games

Saul Good
06-29-2011, 03:21 PM
If you had to pick one to save with the other two dissapearing forever which would you choose:

A-The NBA
B-The US Soccer Team
C-NFL Pre-Season games

B

Sofa King
06-29-2011, 03:23 PM

A-The NBA
B-The US Soccer Team
C-NFL Pre-Season games

I'd keep the NBA, but that's pretty much a default answer.

Everyone hates preseason, including both players and fans, and soccer is gay.

NBA sucks too, but at least i get to see D-bags like Lebron get beat.

milkman
06-29-2011, 03:24 PM
B

Can we ban this guy?

milkman
06-29-2011, 03:26 PM
I'd keep the NBA, but that's pretty much a default answer.

Everyone hates preseason, including both players and fans, and soccer is gay.

NBA sucks too, but at least i get to see D-bags like Lebron get beat.

Personally I think the preseason is important to the development of the team when they are just finding their way, and for finding those unexpected gems.

I know most people hate the preseason, and I understand that, but if I had to choose, I would choose the NFL preseason.

Rams Fan
06-29-2011, 03:29 PM
The association is saying that only 8 of the 30 teams are making a profit.

This lockout might last for a while...

SAUTO
06-29-2011, 03:30 PM

A-The NBA
B-The US Soccer Team
C-NFL Pre-Season games

c

kepp
06-29-2011, 03:46 PM

I wouldn't.

notorious
06-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Given how well the Finals were followed this year, this would be an incredibly stupid time to lose games to a contract dispute.

This.

They could ride an amazing finals into next year. Instead, they are going to piss on all of the viewers that were temporarily hooked.

Just Passin' By
06-29-2011, 04:35 PM
B

http://boozeworthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/40yearold1fm5.jpg

chiefqueen
06-29-2011, 05:16 PM

Only in the city where its professional football team is banned from postseason play for one more year.

dirk digler
06-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah, and they've opened the books from what I understand. It's not like players can say, "You're lying." From what I've heard there's quite a few owners that are going to say they can't even do business the way things are now.

That is true. There is many owners\teams that are losing money.

I hope the owners get what they want mostly because the Heat won't be able to add any players :D

Titty Meat
06-29-2011, 05:43 PM
NBA sucks.

Saul Good
06-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Can we ban this guy?

I hate soccer, but I like watching other countries get all pissed off when we beat them at a game that nobody in the US cares about. Fuck NFL preseason games, and fuck the NBA.

BigMeatballDave
06-30-2011, 12:09 AM
I hate soccer, but I like watching other countries get all pissed off when we beat them at a game that nobody in the US cares about. Fuck NFL preseason games, and fuck the NBA.Surrender your mancard. Football is football.

Pitt Gorilla
06-30-2011, 12:22 AM
who cares ....Obviously, the people posting in this forum.

RippedmyFlesh
06-30-2011, 01:09 AM
So do Kentucky Syracuse North Caroline Duke Indiana Georgetown etc fans.
There are a lot of us who prefer college hoops to the NBA.

06-30-2011, 03:53 AM

I'm sorry. If what gets cancelled?

Hammock Parties
06-30-2011, 09:11 AM
I'll tell you guys why it's a great time to get more interested in the NBA - the dynasties are dead/dying. The Spurs and Lakers are no longer the best team in their conference. The Celtics are gonna have to rebuild pretty soon. And it looks like the Heat aren't going to be awarded the championship by default every year.

A lot of great young teams are coming up - Memphis, OKC, New Orleans, Portland, Orlando, and if the Clippers can keep improving there could be some awesome LAL/LAC drama.

Some new chapters are going to be written in the next five years and it's gonna be really cool to witness. Plus the Heat are the biggest villains since the Isiah Thomas Pistons. Everyone hates them.

I admit the NBA sucked ass for awhile there...I really didn't care to see the Lakers or Spurs win another championship, and all the Kobe worship got really old. It's all changing...players like Durant and Griffin are amazing to watch and easy to root for.

So yeah, this lockout sucks.

morphius
06-30-2011, 09:32 AM
I'll tell you guys why it's a great time to get more interested in the NBA - the dynasties are dead/dying. The Spurs and Lakers are no longer the best team in their conference. The Celtics are gonna have to rebuild pretty soon. And it looks like the Heat aren't going to be awarded the championship by default every year.

A lot of great young teams are coming up - Memphis, OKC, New Orleans, Portland, Orlando, and if the Clippers can keep improving there could be some awesome LAL/LAC drama.

Some new chapters are going to be written in the next five years and it's gonna be really cool to witness. Plus the Heat are the biggest villains since the Isiah Thomas Pistons. Everyone hates them.

I admit the NBA sucked ass for awhile there...I really didn't care to see the Lakers or Spurs win another championship, and all the Kobe worship got really old. It's all changing...players like Durant and Griffin are amazing to watch and easy to root for.

Did they get rid of the WWE style refs?

Hammock Parties
06-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Did they get rid of the WWE style refs?

The Heat lost the Finals and Lebron couldn't buy a foul.

Bearcat
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM

I don't pay much attention to the NBA, but these seem like pretty good points... I could be a fan of the Thunder, with their proximity to KC, Durant, Collison, and Aldrich. This is the first year I've watched the playoffs to the end and actually cared who won... granted, the reasons I didn't want the Heat win are the same reasons I'd always watch a few playoff games and lose interest, but still, there did definitely seem to be an improvement this year. So, it figures... another lockout.

Mr. Plow
06-30-2011, 11:06 AM
The NBA is like MLB to me. Sure, I'll go watch a game, enjoy it, and come home - but no way I'll sit down at home to watch a game.

Reerun_KC
06-30-2011, 02:17 PM

MU fans dont even know College basketball exists...ROFL

Brock
06-30-2011, 02:24 PM
MU fans dont even know College basketball exists...ROFL

What do you mean? They just signed a coach with a sub-.400 record in his conference! Things are really looking up!

Chiefs Pantalones
06-30-2011, 04:36 PM
A lockout would be best for LePippen. He can some how magically find a post game and work on this so-called jumper. Maybe get a heart transplant.

vailpass
06-30-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry. If what gets cancelled?

:D

vailpass
06-30-2011, 04:38 PM
The Heat lost the Finals and Lebron couldn't buy a foul.

Derrick Rose says what?

Chiefs Pantalones
06-30-2011, 05:05 PM
"LeBron took his talents to South Beach but left his hairline in Cleveland." Dwight Howard.

lol