PDA

View Full Version : Other Games Gladiator Round 1, Match 17: WVChiefsfan vs. rooster

Rain Man
07-05-2011, 11:52 AM
WVChiefsfan:

Sling shot with 20 golf ball-size stones

No backup weapon

rooster:

Two Handed Sword

No backup weapon

Special Factor: You have a gas-powered grappling gun a la Batman

Venue:

Classic hilly rough terrain (moderate trees)

Starting distance: 1,895 feet

Bowser
07-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Oh man, WVC got hosed on this draw. A sling shot versus a broadsword and Batman's grappling gun?

Pants
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Aww jeez, this is a tough one. A golf ball-sized rock can do a lot of damage upon reaching the proper velocity and he has 20 of them.... On the other hand, we have a sword that is nice in melee combat but will make you less maneuverable and a pretty much useless grappling hook.

I'll go with WVC and his sling, I think.

Bowser
07-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Aww jeez, this is a tough one. A golf ball-sized rock can do a lot of damage upon reaching the appropriate velocity and he has 20 of them.... On the other hand we have a sword that is nice in melee combat but will make you less maneuverable and a pretty much useless grappling hook.

I'll go with WVC and his sling, I think.

If he had the Bowie as backup, I may be more inclined. Rocks will do damage, but not critical enough damage for some type of kill shot manuever. Rooster takes this.

Sofa King
07-05-2011, 12:02 PM
This is one of the most lopsided victories i've seen yet.

rocks vs sword?

easy call. There's a reason cave men evolved from throwing rocks to slashing swords. Swords > Rocks

Rooster easily.

DJ's left nut
07-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Step 1: Grapling hook up into the moderate tree cover as WVC explores ways to close the gap.

Step 2: Wait. Either until nightfall or until WVC passes unwarily under your branch.

Step 3: Strike.

I'm pretty sure WVC isn't going to get a shot off if Rooster is anywhere within about 10 feet of him. A dude swinging a broadsword at you is going to screw you up pretty good.

Pants
07-05-2011, 12:05 PM
If he had the Bowie as backup, I may be more inclined. Rocks will do damage, but not critical enough damage for some type of kill shot manuever. Rooster takes this.

Depends on the sling shot. Golf-sized rock will knock you the fuck out if thrown hard enough maybe even kill you.

Ranged weapon > melee weapon. The trick would be utilizing the rocks properly because if you miss with all 20, you're screwed. The good thing is that the guy with the sword has to get close to you in order to kill you.

4th and Long
07-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Yeah, they've come to snuff the rooster ...
Posted via Mobile Device

Pants
07-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Step 1: Grapling hook up into the moderate tree cover as WVC explores ways to close the gap.

Step 2: Wait. Either until nightfall or until WVC passes unwarily under your branch.

Step 3: Strike.

I'm pretty sure WVC isn't going to get a shot off if Rooster is anywhere within about 10 feet of him. A dude swinging a broadsword at you is going to screw you up pretty good.

Why in the world would you go looking for the dude who's armed with a sword? It would have to be the opposite.

rageeumr
07-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Ranged weapon > melee weapon.

Unless you have a means to close distance quickly, such as a grappling gun, perhaps.

Pants
07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Unless you have a means to close distance quickly, such as a grappling gun, perhaps.

Ehh, I see it as pretty much useless. You're going to be dragging the huge sword with one arm while you're being dragged by the hook using the other arm on the grapple gun grip? Just too many variables for that thing to even work like you want it to.

alnorth
07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
sling shot.

This isn't a nimble little handheld weapon, its a freaking massive 2-handed sword. Fine in a confusing battlefield, but not so much one-on-one if the other guy doesn't want to be close.

Rain Man
07-05-2011, 12:16 PM
The natural inclination is to go with rooster, but I think WVchiefsfan has a couple of big advantages. First off, a powerful slingshot can really nail a person, and WV has a lot of room in which to work. He can keep backing away while shooting and it's going to take rooster a while to get to him.

Second, given the terrain I suspect that WVchiefsfan has an unlimited supply of ammunition. And it just takes one lucky shot to knock rooster out or take out an eye or something.

I think WVchiefsfan can win this. However, he's going to have to beat rooster up until they get close in, and then hope to knock him out with a lucky shot as rooster makes his final charge.

Edit: as noted below, though, a two-handed sword isn't exactly agile. If rooster misses his first swing, we essentially end up with a bare-handed fight to the death, which helps WV if rooster's been taking rocks during the charge.

I'm going to go WVChiefsfan, but it could go either way.

DJ's left nut
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Why in the world would you go looking for the dude who's armed with a sword? It would have to be the opposite.

Like I said, alternatively, rooster just gets up high in the tree and watches. He can wait until nightfall to make his move.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2011, 02:23 PM
if WV can make his shots he wins easly.

Hammock Parties
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Glad to see the gas-powered grappling gun made it in.

Rooster laughs heartily at WVChiefsfan's poorly aimed slingshot firings as he moves closer and closer, swinging his broadsword to and fro. When he gets in range, he fires his grappling gun at the nearest tree branch, hits the cable retract button and swings in heroically over WVChiefsfan, lopping his head off neatly with one clean stroke.

He then holds his sword aloft for the quickening. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Hammock Parties
07-05-2011, 02:28 PM
The gas-powered grappling gun can also be used as an opening-move stunner. Nail WVChiefsfan with the hook, then move in while he's a bit dazed and swing away.

Pants
07-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Glad to see the gas-powered grappling gun made it in.

Rooster laughs heartily at WVChiefsfan's poorly aimed slingshot firings as he moves closer and closer, swinging his broadsword to and fro. When he gets in range, he fires his grappling gun at the nearest tree branch, hits the cable retract button and swings in heroically over WVChiefsfan, lopping his head off neatly with one clean stroke.

He then holds his sword aloft for the quickening. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

This isn't a fucking movie, gochiefs! This is REAL, DAMMIT!

MOhillbilly
07-05-2011, 02:36 PM
The gas-powered grappling gun can also be used as an opening-move stunner. Nail WVChiefsfan with the hook, then move in while he's a bit dazed and swing away.

from 1895 ft? ya ok.

Hammock Parties
07-05-2011, 02:40 PM
from 1895 ft? ya ok.

No.

Fire Me Boy!
07-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Maybe one of 'em has an explosive tipped arrow. :grr:

WV
07-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm going with me!

Pants
07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm going with me!

It's a shame you're losing.

WV
07-05-2011, 04:46 PM
It's a shame you're losing.

Guess there aren't that many people familiar with David and Goliath....the Slingshot is a very underrated weapon!

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Sword FTW.

Rooster.

Rain Man
07-06-2011, 08:16 AM
rooster rubs some dirt on his nasty welts and knots, and then buries WVChiefsfan in a shallow grave. Game over.

Otter
07-06-2011, 09:23 AM
WVCF because of the distance factor.