PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Bourbon

NaptownChief
07-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Always looking for bourbon ideas. Over the last few years I have migrated from beer to a bourbon guy mostly. I use www.proof66.com (http://www.proof66.com) as a really good reference guide but love to hear from other bourbon drinkers as to favorites.

My favorites:

Regardless of price:

Makers Mark
Woodford Reserve
1792 Ridgemont Reserve
Buffalo Trace
Knob Creek
Eagle Reserve
Elijah Craig 18yr
Four Roses Single

Best Values:

Buffalo Trace
1792 Ridgemont
Evan Williams (black label) only $20 for a 1.75 (Great for cheap heavy drinking)

keg in kc
07-06-2011, 05:44 PM
I used to love Knob Creek until the fall of '09 when I for some reason I can't remember decided to drink half a bottle in an hour.

I haven't touched bourbon since. In fact, I don't think I've touched liquor since, at all. Aside from the occasional schnapps in hot chocolate.

Yes, it was that bad. "It" being the experience later that night and the next day.

FD
07-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Garrison Brothers is a relatively new Texas bourbon, and I know thats sacrilege to some but this stuff is legit. They can't keep the stuff on the shelves down here in Austin, so I've never been able to buy a bottle, but tried it one time and it was delicious. I don't know where all its available.

Also, for value I don't think you can top Bulleit.

cardken
07-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Always looking for bourbon ideas. Over the last few years I have migrated from beer to a bourbon guy mostly. I use www.proof66.com (http://www.proof66.com) as a really good reference guide but love to hear from other bourbon drinkers as to favorites.

My favorites:

Regardless of price:

Makers Mark
Woodford Reserve
1792 Ridgemont Reserve
Buffalo Trace
Knob Creek
Eagle Reserve
Elijah Craig 18yr
Four Roses Single

Best Values:

Buffalo Trace
1792 Ridgemont
Evan Williams (black label) only $20 for a 1.75 (Great for cheap heavy drinking)

You should head over to the Louisville/Bardstown KY, area. About 6 Bourbon Distilleries there within 15 miles of each other, referred to as the Bourbon Trail, great tours and info, as well as amazing tasting rooms. I must for a fan as yourself. Also, Woodsford Reserve Distillery is not far away in Lexington. Love livin' in Bourbon Country.

Bill Lundberg
07-06-2011, 06:00 PM
If you can get your hands on this you will thank me.

Templeton Rye

www.templetonrye.com

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BjwUsIsYjto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NaptownChief
07-06-2011, 06:12 PM
. Also, Woodsford Reserve Distillery is not far away in Lexington. Love livin' in Bourbon Country.

I'm planning on doing the trail before too long. My brother lives/lived in Versailles(trying to sell his house as his job moved to Cincy) so he took me to Woodford last year but want to give the full trail a run. My buddy and his wife did the trail this year and loved it.

NaptownChief
07-06-2011, 06:15 PM
If you can get your hands on this you will thank me.

Templeton Rye

www.templetonrye.com (http://www.templetonrye.com)

<IFRAME height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BjwUsIsYjto" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Thanks for the rec...I've not heard of that stuff and will have to give it a run. Any idea what kind of price tag is on that for a 1/5th?

NewChief
07-06-2011, 06:33 PM
I like Maker's, and MM on ice is what I drink when having cocktails at restaurants. Ive had Buffalo Trace at a friend's wedding in St. Louis and agree that it's a great value. Any reason you left Bulleit off? I usually buy it when buying for home consumption because it's comparable to MM but slightly cheaper.

cardken
07-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Makers is my personal favorite, pretty cool when visiting the Distillery, you can dip your own bottle in the wax. (Let the innuendo begin).

NaptownChief
07-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Any reason you left Bulleit off? .

Just lack of memory from killing too many brain cells from trying so many bourbons...I realy like Bulleit, nice spicy flavor to it and good value for a high quality spirit.

mlyonsd
07-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Blanton's is on the higher end. It's what we make Mint Juleps with on Derby Day.

BigOlChiefsfan
07-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I have been known to take a drink of bourbon upon occasion. Sometimes two drinks. Let me point you at an interesting blog - "What does John Know" by the fellow who runs Malt Advocate magazine. He likes whiskey/whisky, no matter the origin and often has some good info on upcoming releases, etc...nice fellow.

http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/

Bourbon info isn't his only focus, but when it comes to Whusk, John's a name to conjure with. He's made his bones.

And here's an old article by another bourbon-writer I like (this is the guy who makes Regan's Orange Bitters, by the way). He sorts many of the then-current bourbons into a few groups of flavors and makes the case that if you like X, you might like others similar to X...I've found his theory fairly sound. What's odd is that my tastes changed over the years. My old favorites were cast aside for new faves, and the new faves follow his theory as well. Maybe he's not just a guy who drinks a lot after all. Hmm, anyway, enjoy:

http://www.winemag.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Magazine/September-2001/PROOF-POSITIVE-September-2001/

headsnap
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Though I have lived in KY for over 20 years, we have just recently been bitten by the Bourbon bug. Makers is our choice right now. There is a place the wife and I hit on date night every once in a while here in Louisville called Bourbon's Bistro, when we go we always get one of the Bourbon Flites and taste a bunch of 'em.

BTW Nap, we just joined Harmony Landing CC(the course we live on)... They have a limited membership and do not take tee times, I can now walk out of my back yard and play when ever I want!

NaptownChief
07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
BTW nap, we just joined Harmony Landing CC(the course we live on)... They have a limited membership and do not take tee times, I can now walk out of my back yard and play when ever I want!

That is awesome....Still love that house of yours. Everytime I drive through Louisville to see my brother in Lexington always makes me think of you guys and that house.

I bought a new house a year and a half ago and close to my dream house but would love to drop it on top of a location like yours.

Pablo
07-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Had Four Roses for the first time on the 4th. Fine bourbon but I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I'll stick with Jim Beam Black.

NaptownChief
07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Had Four Roses for the first time on the 4th. Fine bourbon but I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I'll stick with Jim Beam Black.

No kidding....Beam had a Founders Special last year that was selling for around $23 to $25 per bottle in liquor stores but was getting cleared out at Sams Club for $9.95...It was really good stuff and great stuff of $9.95. I bought about 5 bottles, in hindsight wish I would have stuffed the closet full.

Pablo
07-06-2011, 08:49 PM
No kidding....Beam had a Founders Special last year that was selling for around $23 to $25 per bottle in liquor stores but was getting cleared out at Sams Club for $9.95...It was really good stuff and great stuff of $9.95. I bought about 5 bottles, in hindsight wish I would have stuffed the closet full.

I think a bottle of JBB runs about $21 on average. Maybe less actually. That's a hard price point to pass up. I was so lucky as to run across a firesale on the stuff last summer. 10 bucks a bottle as well. Only grabbed two. I feel your pain.

philfree
07-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I've tried my share of bourbon but Old #7 is still the best to me. I did have the pleasure of visiting the south last year and the home made which had been stored in some oak for just a little while,,,, well it was quite good....It had good color and not much after taste.

noa
07-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Basil Hayden's is a quality bourbon

L.A. Chieffan
07-06-2011, 11:21 PM
pappy van winkle 23 year and nothing really comes close. good luck finding it tho

Reaper16
07-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Not much of a spirits guy, but Four Roses is my favorite bourbon. I've never tried a Pappy though.

Vegas_Dave
07-06-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm a Scotch guy and find most Bourbons too sweet as they are mostly corn & wheat mash... but corn & rye mash Bourbon is good... specifically Bulleit Bourbon as well as their 95 Rye. 'Em some good drinkin.

spanky 52
07-07-2011, 05:03 AM
Wellers.

Bill Lundberg
07-07-2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the rec...I've not heard of that stuff and will have to give it a run. Any idea what kind of price tag is on that for a 1/5th?

$40 - the problem is finding it. You can only buy it in Iowa and Illinois right now. It has quite the following so when they get a batch ready it flies off the shelves. You can buy it online in a few places but it's more expensive.

Otter
07-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Makers Mark is about the only bourbon I drink. Good stuff but I have a habit of big sips so I tend to stick to beer.

cardken
07-07-2011, 06:41 AM
I've tried my share of bourbon but Old #7 is still the best to me. I did have the pleasure of visiting the south last year and the home made which had been stored in some oak for just a little while,,,, well it was quite good....It had good color and not much after taste.

Just to be clear, Mr. Daniels product is a fine one, but is a Whiskey, not a Bourbon.

Great Expectations
07-07-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm a Scotch guy and find most Bourbons too sweet as they are mostly corn & wheat mash... but corn & rye mash Bourbon is good... specifically Bulleit Bourbon as well as their 95 Rye. 'Em some good drinkin.

I went on the bourbon trail last year. The only one that was corn & wheat was Maker's. The rest were corn and rye. The other distilleries poked fun at Maker's for using wheat, they said it is like drinking a Smirnoff ice and calling it a beer. That said I think Maker's tastes good, but I find myself purchasing Wild Turkey and Jim Beam the most. When I purchase a more expensive one I prefer Knob Creek.

HemiEd
07-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Good thread Nap! I am sure no expert on Whiskey, but should be as much as I have consumed.

The boss just closed down her Bistro/Bar, and gave me one of the open bottles. I had never seen or heard of Jim Beam Black before, but it is really good. JD has gotten so expensive lately, that I have been looking for better values.

NaptownChief
07-07-2011, 09:00 AM
I went on the bourbon trail last year. The only one that was corn & wheat was Maker's. The rest were corn and rye. The other distilleries poked fun at Maker's for using wheat, they said it is like drinking a Smirnoff ice and calling it a beer. That said I think Maker's tastes good, but I find myself purchasing Wild Turkey and Jim Beam the most. When I purchase a more expensive one I prefer Knob Creek.

Makers definitely has a sweeter malty taste which is actually why I like it. I love the smell of it as much as anything. Jeremiah Weed makes a decent bourbon for about $18 a bottle. Solid value.

NaptownChief
07-07-2011, 09:02 AM
JD has gotten so expensive lately, that I have been looking for better values.

Give Evan Williams regular black label a shot. For $20 for a 1.75 it is damn good. Regardless of cost I like it better than Beam, just comes off a little smoother.

HemiEd
07-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Give Evan Williams regular black label a shot. For $20 for a 1.75 it is damn good. Regardless of cost I like it better than Beam, just comes off a little smoother.

Thanks, I have purchased a couple bottles of that down at the convenience store at Table Rock lake. It was so inexpensive, I thought it would be rot gut, but it is very good. I haven't seen it in the stores up here, but will look harder.

Trench
07-07-2011, 10:35 AM
There are lots of really good bourbons out there anymore. One of them I haven't seen mentioned is Hirsch. Very smooth, nicely flavored, not terribly expensive.

HonestChieffan
07-07-2011, 10:56 AM

No where in KC is it available according to the sources I have checked.

HonestChieffan
07-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Mt top 2 are Parkers Heritage and Bernheim. Evan Williams single barrel is very good as well. The single barrel Knob Creek is nice and far better than MM or Knob.

loochy
07-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Does it make me less of a man if I say that I think all of it is absolutely disgusting?

Trench
07-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Does it make me less of a man if I say that I think all of it is absolutely disgusting?

Yes.

Hey, you asked. :LOL:

loochy
07-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Yes.

Hey, you asked. :LOL:

I don't like dark beers either.