PDA

View Full Version : News Bear kills man in Yellowstone Park

Renegade
07-07-2011, 05:30 AM
This would never happen on Bwana's watch. I wonder if a picnic basket was involved.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43661957/ns/us_news-environment/t/yellowstone-bear-kills-hiker-rare-attack/from/toolbar/?gt1=43001

Otter
07-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Oldest reason in the book for getting attacked by a bear next to leaving food out; startling a momma with cubs.

Ouch!

Mr_Tomahawk
07-07-2011, 06:46 AM
http://images.piccsy.com/cache/images/dwight-meet-bears-beets-and-battlestar-87212-530-719.jpg

Old Dog
07-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Bad deal, but not the bears fault.

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 06:59 AM
i wouldn't hike that trail with anything short of an m16

RIP GrizzlyMan.

Bwana
07-07-2011, 08:00 AM
No bear spray, or gun. If you go out in that area like that, it's like rolling the dice. Next story, the guy that makes his kid stand next to the "dumb/slow bison," so he can get a great picture.

A local read on the bear story: http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/article_60335cea-a89f-11e0-986f-001cc4c002e0.html

This part is why they guy should get a Darwin Award......

Nash said the couple saw the bear twice on their hike. The first time, they continued hiking. The second time, the grizzly charged them and the man told his wife to run.

http://img.hobowars.com/fn_photos/l_16366_1a1fa.jpg

Frazod
07-07-2011, 08:20 AM
i wouldn't hike that trail with anything short of an m16

RIP GrizzlyMan.

You do realize that an AR/M16 fires a round that is basically the same size as a .22, right? It fires that round at a much higher velocity, but against a grizzly, I'm thinking you could empty an entire magazine into it and only piss it off.

I wouldn't hike that shit packing anything less than a .357, or preferably one of the hand bazookas that Bwana carries.

MIAdragon
07-07-2011, 08:21 AM
"bear spray" LMAO

Fish
07-07-2011, 08:23 AM
"bear spray" LMAO

What's so funny? Bear spray is actually very effective. Bears have an incredibly sensitive sense of smell. And it doesn't require pinpoint accuracy. It's probably the idiot hiker's best defense.

Bwana
07-07-2011, 08:24 AM
"bear spray" LMAO

Bear spray works great "IF," there is no wind blowing back in your face. The problem is, 90% of the time, the wind is blowing in the mountains. I pack both the spray and my S&W .500, when I'm in the area.

Bwana
07-07-2011, 08:27 AM
What's so funny? Bear spray is actually very effective. Bears have an incredibly sensitive sense of smell. And it doesn't require pinpoint accuracy. It's probably the idiot hiker's best defense.

Without question. If you are not a crack shot, you are much better off with the spray. A gun doesn't do you any good, if you can't hit anything with it. Shooting a grizzly, moving at you 30 MPH, is not the same as taking your time, and shooting at a paper target.

MIAdragon
07-07-2011, 08:33 AM

LMAO learn something new every day. :thumb:

gblowfish
07-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Yellowstone police sketch artists have rendered a wanted poster of the alleged bear from witness descriptions....

Delano
07-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Well, it looks like their vacation was bruined.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lzen
07-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Interesting. I never knew there was such a thing as bear spray.

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 09:37 AM
You do realize that an AR/M16 fires a round that is basically the same size as a .22, right? It fires that round at a much higher velocity, but against a grizzly, I'm thinking you could empty an entire magazine into it and only piss it off.

I wouldn't hike that shit packing anything less than a .357, or preferably one of the hand bazookas that Bwana carries.

probably true, I'd love to cap a bear using that gun w/ that cool rubbermaid grip.

Frazod
07-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Well, it looks like their vacation was bruined.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ugh. This comment is nearly unbearable.

Bump
07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
if the guy would have beared arms, this could have been avoided.

Trench
07-07-2011, 10:52 AM
It was probably a grizzly scene.

4th and Long
07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Ugh. This comment is nearly unbearable.
I can't believe you're all over the guy for making one little Boo Boo.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgHx40AzQ8dR-wPHCeMTQml-wg8ePzu4PeQIbsR7iTdchNuI9_L3mNqQ

L.A. Chieffan
07-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Once a bear gets a taste for man, it wont stop trying to get it.

BigCatDaddy
07-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Once a bear gets a taste for man, it wont stop trying to get it.

I think that happened to a few CP members as well.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Do they have crazy bitch spray? Because I seem to attract them and damn... some spray would be great.

bevischief
07-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Do they have crazy bitch spray? Because I seem to attract them and damn... some spray would be great.

pepper spray work quite well.

Bwana
07-07-2011, 01:21 PM
pepper spray work quite well.

In that case, I bet bear spray would get the job done.

http://www.udap.com/images/Product%20400/18bearspraypage.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:clickSwapImg(document['fpAnimswapImgFP6']))

Bump
07-07-2011, 01:39 PM

dousing yourself in cologne would probably help

Johnny Vegas
07-07-2011, 02:06 PM
dousing yourself in cologne would probably help

ah yes. sex panther. 60% of the time it works, every time.

frankotank
07-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I have a friend in yellowstone right now. he and about 12 family members. so I called him to see if all is well. he said his brother-in-law and his wife were actually hiking in the woods at the time the guy got killed. sheesh. didn't have the heart to ask him if they had any kind of protection with them.

Deberg_1990
07-07-2011, 03:12 PM
he said his brother-in-law and his wife were actually hiking in the woods at the time the guy got killed. sheesh. didn't have the heart to ask him if they had any kind of protection with them.

Yellowstone has nearly 3,500 square miles of territory

This is like saying that you were in Rhode Island or Delaware when a murder took place.

suzzer99
07-07-2011, 03:14 PM
I have a friend in yellowstone right now. he and about 12 family members. so I called him to see if all is well. he said his brother-in-law and his wife were actually hiking in the woods at the time the guy got killed. sheesh. didn't have the heart to ask him if they had any kind of protection with them.

The fact that he was hiking at the same time means nothing. It's not like all the mother bears got together and decided to go on a rampage.

Does anyone know if there's a good justification for the parks service immediately shutting down all trails and pulling out all the back country campers. Like once this mother bear has killed once is she more likely to start killing again?

Fish
07-07-2011, 03:25 PM
The fact that he was hiking at the same time means nothing. It's not like all the mother bears got together and decided to go on a rampage.

Does anyone know if there's a good justification for the parks service immediately shutting down all trails and pulling out all the back country campers. Like once this mother bear has killed once is she more likely to start killing again?

I suspect that when they shut down the trails and pulled the campers, they weren't sure if it was an isolated unfortunate instance of somebody being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or whether they had a crazy man hunting bear on their hands. It turned out to be a hiker accidentally confronting a mama bear, and mama bear just did what mama bears do. If it would have been a big male grizzly that was killing simply because hikers are tasty, then it would have presented a danger to other hikers and campers.

MahiMike
07-07-2011, 03:29 PM
If only he'd put out his campfire properly. Smokey wouldn't have had to lay down the law.

frankotank
07-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I suspect that when they shut down the trails and pulled the campers, they weren't sure if it was an isolated unfortunate instance of somebody being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or whether they had a crazy man hunting bear on their hands. It turned out to be a hiker accidentally confronting a mama bear, and mama bear just did what mama bears do. If it would have been a big male grizzly that was killing simply because hikers are tasty, then it would have presented a danger to other hikers and campers.

They know it was momma defending cubs and will not track and kill it

frankotank
07-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Yellowstone has nearly 3,500 square miles of territory

This is like saying that you were in Rhode Island or Delaware when a murder took place.

Yes but they are in the general area. He says theres bears all over the place

suzzer99
07-07-2011, 04:19 PM

The last I read it said they were working to round up all the backcountry campers. They would have known the story of how the bear attack happened instantly (since it was the family who were witness that alerted them in the first place). So I still don't see why they were shutting everything down. Seems like typical govt over-reaction. I would be really annoyed if I traveled all the way to Yellowstone for my big vacation and couldn't hike or camp in any back country because some idiot kept going on the trail when he knew a mother bear with cubs was in the area.

suzzer99
07-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Yes but they are in the general area. He says theres bears all over the place

Right, and he knew that going in. He also knew you should take care to make a lot of noise on the trail and try really hard not to disturb a mother bear and her cubs. It's not like this attack changes anything.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-07-2011, 04:26 PM
That's what you get for going to a park for your summer vacation. Next time go to a beach.

suzzer99
07-07-2011, 04:36 PM
sharks tho

Rain Man
07-07-2011, 04:39 PM

I half-wonder if it's more to protect the people from themselves if they get all freaked out and do something stupid.

Fish
07-07-2011, 04:40 PM
The last I read it said they were working to round up all the backcountry campers. They would have known the story of how the bear attack happened instantly (since it was the family who were witness that alerted them in the first place). So I still don't see why they were shutting everything down. Seems like typical govt over-reaction. I would be really annoyed if I traveled all the way to Yellowstone for my big vacation and couldn't hike or camp in any back country because some idiot kept going on the trail when he knew a mother bear with cubs was in the area.

Typical govt over reaction? LMAO.....

Would you rather be annoyed for a day, or eaten by a bear?

Places like Yellowstone don't exist for your convenience. Those places exist for the wildlife that has lived there for thousands of years. We're just blessed to have the opportunity to get to visit their turf once in a while. If you want to be selfishly guaranteed your camping and hiking amenities, go find a little lake in the suburbs....

Okie_Apparition
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Bears will mate before the cubs strike out on their own. He could have been done in by pregnant paws...all I got

Rain Man
07-07-2011, 04:45 PM
When I was in Kodiak last year I saw an estimate of the number of Kodiak bears on the island. When you divide it by size of the island, there's something like one bear every three square miles.

Ponder that for a moment.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Anyone hear ever get ****ed by a bear? Besides ENDelt?

suzzer99
07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Typical govt over reaction? LMAO.....

Would you rather be annoyed for a day, or eaten by a bear?

Places like Yellowstone don't exist for your convenience. Those places exist for the wildlife that has lived there for thousands of years. We're just blessed to have the opportunity to get to visit their turf once in a while. If you want to be selfishly guaranteed your camping and hiking amenities, go find a little lake in the suburbs....

Have you ever been to Yellowstone? It's gigantic. Just because some guy on one end of the park bumps into a mother bear and gets attacked, which is a known risk of anyone hiking or camping in the back-country that they hammer into you, why should I get yanked out of the back-country 70 miles away?

In a few days they will open up the trails, the exact same risks will still be there. Please tell me what was accomplished by rounding everyone up in the 3500 sq. mile park?

Edit: anyway I don't know if those initial reports that they were closing all the trails in the park or rounding up all the backcountry campers were false, or if the park service narrowed from their initial scope, but it looks like the closures are now just the trails that lead into the attack area: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=246773 Seems totally reasonable. I just thought shutting down the whole park was a little excessive.

suzzer99
07-07-2011, 05:14 PM
I half-wonder if it's more to protect the people from themselves if they get all freaked out and do something stupid.

That makes a little more sense than anything else I can think of.

Extra Point
07-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Isn't there a website with a bunch of webcams, showing different stuff in that park? I'd like to tune into Old Faithful and pan in on some the neat stuff there. That would be more meaningful than burning oil, fighting traffic, and such, to see the park.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-07-2011, 05:31 PM
I've never had the gumption to go to Yellowstone. I probably never will. It just doesn't tickle my pickle.

Bwana
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Isn't there a website with a bunch of webcams, showing different stuff in that park? I'd like to tune into Old Faithful and pan in on some the neat stuff there. That would be more meaningful than burning oil, fighting traffic, and such, to see the park.

Yep

http://www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Bwana
07-07-2011, 06:00 PM
On a side note, the dude was from CA. I didn't figure the guy was from WY or MT, or the guy would have likely had bear spray and or a gun.

Brian Matayoshi, of Torrance, Calif., was fatally mauled by the female grizzly shortly after 11 a.m. Wednesday while hiking with his wife, Marylyn, on the Wapiti Lake Trail near Canyon.

seclark
07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
score goes to mamma bear this time around.
sec

Frazod
07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I guess Yogi wanted some sushi. :D

Bwana
07-07-2011, 06:05 PM
score goes to mamma bear this time around.
sec

Yeah the whole "RUN" theory, doesn't have a happy ending a lot of the time, when dealing with large, hairy, forest creatures.

KC Jones
07-07-2011, 07:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/n64atlas/various%20pics/bearsign.jpg

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 09:07 PM
as it turns out; they'd botched the report - it was supposed to read: "Green man in Yellowstone Park kills Bear."

http://i51.tinypic.com/v4ulg4.gif

http://i52.tinypic.com/xndbih.jpg

jspchief
07-07-2011, 09:08 PM
omg that poor bear. Hulk throws him so far!

GloryDayz
07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Humans 82,836,0926 (give or take a few) - Bears 65,093

We're still up by a few!!

Fish
07-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Have you ever been to Yellowstone? It's gigantic. Just because some guy on one end of the park bumps into a mother bear and gets attacked, which is a known risk of anyone hiking or camping in the back-country that they hammer into you, why should I get yanked out of the back-country 70 miles away?

In a few days they will open up the trails, the exact same risks will still be there. Please tell me what was accomplished by rounding everyone up in the 3500 sq. mile park?

Edit: anyway I don't know if those initial reports that they were closing all the trails in the park or rounding up all the backcountry campers were false, or if the park service narrowed from their initial scope, but it looks like the closures are now just the trails that lead into the attack area: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=246773 Seems totally reasonable. I just thought shutting down the whole park was a little excessive.

Yes, I've been to Yellowstone many times. It is gigantic. But over 85% of it is off limits to the general public. It's that way for a reason. And the wildlife folks that work at Yellowstone know a lot more about bear behavior and how it relates to public safety than you and I do.