PDA

View Full Version : Football Big Names at lockout Negotiations ... prepared to stay weekend to close deal

Mr. Laz
07-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Familiar Faces At NFL, NFLPA Negotiations (http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2011/07/familiar-faces-at-nfl-nflpa.html)

As expected, the ten NFL owners and players who have joined Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith today in Manhattan have been frequent participants throughout the labor talks.

Albert Breer of the NFL Network reports that Robert Kraft (New England), John Mara (NY Giants), Jerry Jones (Dallas), Clark Hunt (Kansas City), and Art Rooney (Pittsburgh) will represent the ownership group (http://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/88970537279299584) today. All five are members of the NFL Management Council Executive Committee.

On the Players' side, Breer has Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch, Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday, Baltimore Ravens cornerback Domonique Foxworth, NFLPA president Kevin Mawae and former NFL wide receiver Sean Morey have joined Smith.

Through a pair of pictures taken outside the talks over the last two days, the two sides appear to be meeting at the New York offices of Proskauer Rose, a firm which has advised nearly every major sports league and where NFL outside counsel Bob Batterman has been partner since 1974.

Mr. Laz
07-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Owners, players join NFL talks
<cite class="source">ESPN.com news services
</cite>
Negotiations Continue

Sal Paolantonio talks about what to expect as the negotiations between the NFL, NFLPA continueTags: SportsCenter (http://search.espn.go.com/sportscenter/video/6), Sal Paolantonio (http://search.espn.go.com/sal-paolantonio/video/6), Roger Goodell (http://search.espn.go.com/roger-goodell/video/6), DeMaurice Smith (http://search.espn.go.com/demaurice-smith/video/6), NFLPA (http://search.espn.go.com/nflpa/video/6), CBA (http://search.espn.go.com/cba/video/6), NFL Lockout (http://search.espn.go.com/nfl-lockout/video/6)

NEW YORK -- Members of the NFL Players Association executive board and owners resumed negotiations Thursday at a law firm in Manhattan in hopes of resolving a lockout that began in March.

ESPN NFL reporter Sal Paolantonio says the death of John Mackey is a reminder for the players of what they are fighting for. Paolantonio also talks about the current state of the lockout.

Sources told ESPN on Wednesday afternoon that both sides hope to achieve a true framework for a new collective bargaining agreement by the close of business on Friday. Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, owners and players are involved in the talks Thursday to finalize the details of a new revenue split, which is getting closer to agreement.

Putting more pressure on the negotiators, U.S. District Judge Arthur Boylan, the mediator in the talks, is scheduled to go on vacation Saturday, sources said. But both sides are committed to stay in New York this weekend to try to finish the deal. The sides have not gotten together on weekends during negotiations in the past month.
Entering the building Thursday were several executive board members, including Smith, president Kevin Mawae (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=602) and team owners including Robert Kraft of the Patriots, John Mara of the New York Giants (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants) and Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys).
Lawyers for both sides met the last two days to do paperwork toward a new collective bargaining agreement. On Wednesday, they negotiated details for free agency and training camps once the NFL is re-opened for business.

The players have so far rejected any deal that allows teams to have a right of first refusal on offers for up to three of their own free agents. Said one agent: "That punishes the top guys."

Also, teams would be allowed to bring in 80 to 90 players to training camp to allow for injuries and rust because of the lockout, which reached its 114th day Thursday.
Time is gradually becoming a factor in the discussions. Training camps for the St. Louis Rams (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams) and Chicago Bears (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/chi/chicago-bears) are scheduled to open July 22, with those teams scheduled to play in the Hall of Fame Game Aug. 7 in Canton, Ohio.

The rest of the training camps would open about a week later, with a full slate of preseason games set for the second weekend in August.

Information from ESPN national correspondent Sal Paolantonio, ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton and The Associated Press was used in this report.

ZootedGranny
07-07-2011, 09:23 AM
I read that Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson showed up to voice their displeasure, and Kraft and Hunt threw them into the back of a passing garbage truck.

NaptownChief
07-07-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm really interested to see if Peyton Manning is able to avoid the franchise tag. If so the Colts are eff'd. I honestly think he wants to go play for a team that can actually win a game even if he doesn't throw for 350 yards and 3 TD's. I have a gut feeling he ends up with the Jets if he can't be tagged. Very good D and running game is something the Colts haven't ever been able to offer in tandem. Having a coach that isn't lost and confused on the sidelines might be of interest as well especially after that bone head TO that cost them the Jets game last year.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Watching Rothlisberger and A.Rodgers stink it up in one of those playoffs games last year and still move onto the Super Bowl because of defense is something that had to get his attention. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Plus New York is convenient for family with Eli already there and it would only boost his endorsement deals being in that market. I also think Rex Ryan's comment about guaranteeing the Super Bowl might have had something to do with this knowledge.<o:p></o:p>
If it were about just money then Manning would have signed last season as the Colts were offering him the biggest contract in NFL history and he had no interest in signing it. Clearly Manning wants something and my guess is to give himself a much better chance to get more rings. <o:p></o:p>

Jewish Rabbi
07-07-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm really interested to see if Peyton Manning is able to avoid the franchise tag. If so the Colts are eff'd. I honestly think he wants to go play for a team that can actually win a game even if he doesn't throw for 350 yards and 3 TD's. I have a gut feeling he ends up with the Jets if he can't be tagged. Very good D and running game is something the Colts haven't ever been able to offer in tandem. Having a coach that isn't lost and confused on the sidelines might be of interest as well especially after that bone head TO that cost them the Jets game last year.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Watching Rothlisberger and A.Rodgers stink it up in one of those playoffs games last year and still move onto the Super Bowl because of defense is something that had to get his attention. <o:p></o:p>
Plus New York is convenient for family with Eli already there and it would only boost his endorsement deals being in that market. I also think Rex Ryan's comment about guaranteeing the Super Bowl might have had something to do with this knowledge.<o:p></o:p>
If it were about just money then Manning would have signed last season as the Colts were offering him the biggest contract in NFL history and he had no interest in signing it. Clearly Manning wants something and my guess is to give himself a much better chance to get more rings. <o:p></o:p>

:spock:

Lex Luthor
07-07-2011, 09:50 AM
:spock:
I think Naptown Chief must be a Jets fan.

ModSocks
07-07-2011, 09:50 AM

We'll chalk that up to "new baby Afterglow effect".

But you only get one.

NaptownChief
07-07-2011, 09:55 AM
I think Naptown Chief must be a Jets fan.

I've been called a lot of things in my life, a good handful of it deserved, but never been called something as nasty as that.

Okie_Apparition
07-07-2011, 09:56 AM
The epic meltdown, by what has been described to me as major douchbag fans, would rock.

NaptownChief
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
The epic meltdown, by what has been described to me as major douchbag fans, would rock.

Colts fans?

Okie_Apparition
07-07-2011, 10:06 AM
After Chieffan's reactions to treatment at the playoff game in Indy& the board being littered(not meaning trashed or trashy/sprinkled in?) with Pats fans. The Coltfan is not held in high regard in these parts

The Franchise
07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Peyton Manning will never leave Indy.

NaptownChief
07-07-2011, 10:10 AM
After Chieffan's reactions to treatment at the playoff game in Indy& the board being littered with Pats fans. The Coltfan is not held in high regard in these parts

There will be a huge meltdown here in Indy if Manning gets away....and rightfully so. Polian is such an arrogant prick that he makes Carl Peterson seem humble by comparison. Polian has rode the back of Manning his entire time in Indy. The Colts have a awful OLine, poor defense, poor running game and a rotten head coach. They are a 2-14 team without Manning making is look respectable. I would very much enjoy watching Polian get run into the ground.

Brock
07-07-2011, 10:17 AM
There will be a huge meltdown here in Indy if Manning gets away....and rightfully so. Polian is such an arrogant prick that he makes Carl Peterson seem humble by comparison. Polian has rode the back of Manning his entire time in Indy. The Colts have a awful OLine, poor defense, poor running game and a rotten head coach. They are a 2-14 team without Manning making is look respectable. I would very much enjoy watching Polian get run into the ground.

I would enjoy this very much.

Hydrae
07-07-2011, 10:18 AM
When are they going to throw out the Brady lawsuit? It is extremely obvious that the NFLPA did not actually de-certify.

-King-
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
When are they going to throw out the Brady lawsuit? It is extremely obvious that the NFLPA did not actually de-certify.

...but they did...

Rooster
07-07-2011, 10:22 AM
This has probably been discussed in the free agency thread but I will ask it anyway. When will free agency start? As soon as the ink drys or is it dependant on what is in the actual new agreement?

NaptownChief
07-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Peyton Manning will never leave Indy.

Why do you say that? He likes it here in Indy but he isn't in love with it. He built his dream home in Tenn a few years back...spends most of his off time down there playing golf at the Honors Club. I think he knows the Colts and Indy owe him a lot more than he owes them.

vailpass
07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I'd love to get a transcript from these talks and read, verbatim, the input from the players.

Hydrae
07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
...but they did...

In theory and on paper but it sure hasn't changed who is in the forefront of the negotiations or how they are referred to in the media. Just in articles in the thread, there is no NFLPA President (Mawae) or executive director (Smith) but that is how they are referred to. Did all the players agree that they wanted these people negotiating for them after the decertification?

It was a sham move and the courts should not even bother hearing the Brady case, IMO.

vailpass
07-07-2011, 10:36 AM
In theory and on paper but it sure hasn't changed who is in the forefront of the negotiations or how they are referred to in the media. Just in articles in the thread, there is no NFLPA President (Mawae) or executive director (Smith) but that is how they are referred to. Did all the players agree that they wanted these people negotiating for them after the decertification?

It was a sham move and the courts should not even bother hearing the Brady case, IMO.

I wonder about this every time I see that D. Smith is negotiating with Goodel.
On whose behalf is D. Smith negotiating and from where did he recieve authorization to do so? What organization is paying D. Smith?

-King-
07-07-2011, 10:54 AM

They are now a trade association and can help the players do what they want. And who cares what the media refers them as. As long as they aren't calling themselves "NFLPA president" and "executive director of the NFLPA", it doesn't matter. Either way, they'll probably have to become a union again before the CBA is approved according to PFT.

Hydrae
07-07-2011, 11:03 AM
They are now a trade association and can help the players do what they want. And who cares what the media refers them as. As long as they aren't calling themselves "NFLPA president" and "executive director of the NFLPA", it doesn't matter. Either way, they'll probably have to become a union again before the CBA is approved according to PFT.

Then they need to form a new union, this cannot be reconvened until a year has passed from the "de-certification."

Mr. Laz
07-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I wonder about this every time I see that D. Smith is negotiating with Goodel.
On whose behalf is D. Smith negotiating and from where did he recieve authorization to do so? What organization is paying D. Smith?
The NFLP consortium is paying Smith

it's complete bullshit and any judge being remotely fair and intelligent about the situation will flush the lawsuit. Of course that means Doty will probably uphold it and give Brady etc a 5 billion dollars as a settlement.

vailpass
07-07-2011, 11:24 AM
The NFLP consortium is paying Smith

it's complete bullshit and any judge being remotely fair and intelligent about the situation will flush the lawsuit. Of course that means Doty will probably uphold it and give Brady etc a 5 billion dollars as a settlement.

What you said here pissed me off. Piss on Brady and his bitch law suit.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-07-2011, 11:56 AM
AdamSchefterAdam Schefter

The plaintiffs in the Brady vs. NFL case have been contacted about participating in a conference call tonight. More on ESPN today.

AdamSchefterAdam Schefter

Keep in mind: Conference call tonight with Plaintiffs can be simply to update them on status; isn't automatically to approve any settlement.

ChiefsCountry
07-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Jets ROFL

They already have their QB.

Titty Meat
07-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Is there a deal done yet? JFC.

chiefqueen
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
<O:p></O:p>
Watching Rothlisberger and A.Rodgers stink it up in one of those playoffs games last year and still move onto the Super Bowl because of defense is something that had to get his attention. <O:p></O:p>
Plus New York is convenient for family with Eli already there and it would only boost his endorsement deals being in that market. I also think Rex Ryan's comment about guaranteeing the Super Bowl might have had something to do with this knowledge.<O:p></O:p>
If it were about just money then Manning would have signed last season as the Colts were offering him the biggest contract in NFL history and he had no interest in signing it. Clearly Manning wants something and my guess is to give himself a much better chance to get more rings. <O:p></O:p>

I now think that's stickier than the revenue split in IMO. I know the players want to ability to choose where to work but I also don't think it is fair for a team to lose ita most important player 4-5 days before camp. If it was March it would be one thing as teams would have time to regroup.

A telling sign on whether a deal gets done could be if Irsay has at least seven others agreeing with him on free agency. Clearly he can't afford to lose Manning and then begin camp later that week.

milkman
07-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Watching Rothlisberger and A.Rodgers stink it up in one of those playoffs games last year and still move onto the Super Bowl because of defense is something that had to get his attention. <O:p></O:p>
Plus New York is convenient for family with Eli already there and it would only boost his endorsement deals being in that market. I also think Rex Ryan's comment about guaranteeing the Super Bowl might have had something to do with this knowledge.<O:p></O:p>
If it were about just money then Manning would have signed last season as the Colts were offering him the biggest contract in NFL history and he had no interest in signing it. Clearly Manning wants something and my guess is to give himself a much better chance to get more rings. <O:p></O:p>

The Colts would have more than one SB win if Manning wasn't a choker.

That Colt D and running game that you are critisizing is what carried him to his only SB win.

Peyton Manning, most overrated QB in NFL history.

listopencil
07-07-2011, 09:56 PM
What you said here pissed me off. Piss on Brady and his bitch law suit.

The NFL has to negotiate as if the NFLPA still exists. It was the only reasonable option for them.