PDA

View Full Version : Misc Skiing noob needs help planning a skiing vacation

eazyb81
07-07-2011, 10:31 AM
The wife and I have been talking for years about booking a skiing vacation someday, but so far we have never followed through. It came up again in conversation this weekend and we decided that we need to go ahead and take the plunge, and we would like to book a trip for this year's Thanksgiving weekend.

A key point here is that neither of us has actually been skiing before. It has always sounded fun though and we think it would be a cool little hobby for us. Due to my noobness, I have no idea which resorts are ultra fancy or crap, better for experts or beginners, or even if I should look at the Rockies or Appalachians. I began messing around on Google for some ideas this morning and quickly became overwhelmed.

I am essentially looking for a decent, reasonably-priced resort where we can take some lessons and learn the basics of skiing, but which also offers some nice dining/drinking options for after the slopes (do people leave the mountain/resort?). Are there good websites that offer packages or do most people book everything separately? Would 3-4 days of skiing be enough for first timers?

Any ideas from the CP faithful?

Donger
07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Take lessons or you WILL be miserable.

Molitoth
07-07-2011, 10:35 AM
We usually stay near Lake Dillon in Frisco, or Vail.

My fav mountains growing up have been; Keystone and A-Basin.

Bump
07-07-2011, 10:36 AM
you guys are going to break some bones.

eazyb81
07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Take lessons or you WILL be miserable.

Yeah we are planning on it.

Are certain mountains/resorts more "beginner friendly" than others?

Donger
07-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah we are planning on it.

Are certain mountains/resorts more "beginner friendly" than others?

Not really. Certain mountains are more kid-friendly, however.

I'd recommend Keystone or Winter Park for beginners.

Donger
07-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Oh, and A-Basin has great instructors.

eazyb81
07-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Not really. Certain mountains are more kid-friendly, however.

I'd recommend Keystone or Winter Park for beginners.

Okay thanks, I will look into both of them.

Is lodging at a resort the majority of the total cost? It doesn't look like the actual skiing passes are too bad. How much should I expect to spend on rental equipment? Are lessons usually free?

Pants
07-07-2011, 10:50 AM
You're going to get addicted. Have fun.

vailpass
07-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Winter Park is a good place to learn. Mellow runs, not a lot of asshole serious skiiers, nice lodges.

As Donger said, take the lessons. Very soon you will know how to start, stop, get on and off a lift, what the diferent colors at the top of a slope means, and being able to start skiing in a day or two.
Otherwise you will fall on or off the lift, not know how to stop, soon crash and burn and hate it.

Donger
07-07-2011, 10:53 AM

Is lodging at a resort the majority of the total cost? It doesn't look like the actual skiing passes are too bad. How much should I expect to spend on rental equipment? Are lessons usually free?

I wouldn't know about lodging costs. We just do day trips. We also don't rent equipment.

No, lessons aren't free but I think they typically include rental equipment in the prices.

vailpass
07-07-2011, 10:55 AM

If you can rent down the hill (Denver) you usually get better rates. Ask a local here, there are always (or used to be) discounts and specials around town.

Bob Dole
07-07-2011, 11:01 AM
As a novice, casual participant, Bob Dole always enjoyed Brian Head, Utah. Haven't been there in years, though.

Donger
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
As a novice, casual participant, Bob Dole always enjoyed Brian Head, Utah. Haven't been there in years, though.

I recommend the following runs:

The Five Wives
Joe's Moguls

4th and Long
07-07-2011, 11:12 AM
you guys are going to break some bones.
Only if you're really lucky!

Signed,

Michael Kennedy and Sonny Bono

eazyb81
07-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Cool, thanks for the info guys.

vailpass
07-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Whatever else you do make sure to sit in the outside hot tub with snow all around you after a full day's skiing.
And hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps in a boda bag is a good thing to have with you while skiing.

rageeumr
07-07-2011, 11:40 AM
When we were in college and freshly out of college my friends and I liked to go to Breckenridge because it had the best nightlife among Summit County resorts. I really enjoy the beer at Breck Brewery.

The last couple of years we have gone to Utah and stayed in Park City. A similar vibe, and you can get to a bunch of different resorts within an hour. Wasatch Brewery is also awesome. The trip ends up being a bit more expensive, but not outrageously so.

Mr. Plow
07-07-2011, 11:44 AM
I haven't been skiing in years. My parents used to take us kids nearly every year until I was 16 or so. It's a blast. Enjoy it.

vailpass
07-07-2011, 11:45 AM
When we were in college and freshly out of college my friends and I liked to go to Breckenridge because it had the best nightlife among Summit County resorts. I really enjoy the beer at Breck Brewery.

The last couple of years we have gone to Utah and stayed in Park City. A similar vibe, and you can get to a bunch of different resorts within an hour. Wasatch Brewery is also awesome. The trip ends up being a bit more expensive, but not outrageously so.

Yeah but its Utah.

eazyb81
07-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Which resorts tend to have the best combination of solid skiing (for a beginner) and restaurants/entertainment within walking distance?

I was reading some reviews of Winter Park and it seems like the town kind of shuts down at 4:30 and doesn't have much to offer in terms of dining.

We were hoping to take a shuttle from Denver Airport to our resort and hang out there for a few days instead of renting a car and driving around. Is this reasonable?

Since we will be there during Thanksgiving, we were also hoping there might be a nice restaurant or two in the area. Cool bars that stay open late would also be nice since we are in our twenties and do not have kids yet.'

And I am definitely ordering a room with a private hot tub!

eazyb81
07-07-2011, 11:59 AM

I've been to Breckenridge in the summer but not in the winter. Are the nightlife spots within walking distance of the resorts, or do resorts offer shuttles? We weren't planning on renting a car.

Mr. Plow
07-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I haven't been to this place yet, but it was recommended by someone I know....looks really nice.

http://www.lodgeatlionshead.com/

vailpass
07-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Which resorts tend to have the best combination of solid skiing (for a beginner) and restaurants/entertainment within walking distance?

I was reading some reviews of Winter Park and it seems like the town kind of shuts down at 4:30 and doesn't have much to offer in terms of dining.

We were hoping to take a shuttle from Denver Airport to our resort and hang out there for a few days instead of renting a car and driving around. Is this reasonable?

Since we will be there during Thanksgiving, we were also hoping there might be a nice restaurant or two in the area. Cool bars that stay open late would also be nice since we are in our twenties and do not have kids yet.'

I haven't been to Breck since I was in school, have gone to Vail ever since and haven't been to vail in 2 years.
That said, Vail has the best variety of runs, bars, activity for me but opinions may vary. It gives the full mountain experience without being stuffy like Beaver.
No need for a car, all is in the Village and if you need to go somewhere else you take the free shuttle bus.
Thanksgiving season is busy and more expensive no matter where you go. See if any of the locals here will get you a three day pass at King Soopers or some other discounted tix in Denver.

bishop_74
07-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Winter Parks attraction (for me at least) is that I don't have to drive through the Tunnel to get to it. It has lots of very flat areas (as does Vail), and if you want to kick it up a notch you can go to the backside for some sick tree runs and moguls. Mary Jane is the local hangout for the most part. Most of the amenities are actually at the resort. You can stay in the city, but they are right... not nearly as much to do.

You can go further east and get cheaper stay prices at Dillon, and be within 30 minutes of all the other "big" resorts. Plenty to do at the resorts themselves plus all there is to offer in Dillon/ Breckenridge/Frisco.

Outside of that everyone has their preferences for mountains.

Breckenridge = Fun little city/Huge resort
Vail = Best powder bowls/High dollar clientele
Beaver Creek = Smaller less crowded Vail.
Arapahoe Basin = Experienced Riders
Copper = Naturally progressive mountain (ie greens on right through blacks on left)

I am sure there are plenty of other opinions as well... just a few I could think of.