PDA

View Full Version : News Fan Falls Out of Stands at Rangers Ballpark and Dies

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-07-2011, 09:08 PM
http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/red-fever/Fan-Falls-Out-of-Stands-at-Rangers-Ballpark-125190279.html

Reaper16
07-07-2011, 09:10 PM
In related news, Josh Hamilton has relapsed.

KCUnited
07-07-2011, 09:11 PM
They'd of tazed him in Philly.

tk13
07-07-2011, 09:13 PM
According to ESPN this person died. Didn't this happen last year?

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-07-2011, 09:15 PM
According to ESPN this person died. Didn't this happen last year?

Happened tonight yea just saw he died RIP.

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Damn RIP - :shake:

doomy3
07-07-2011, 09:16 PM
More people seem to get hurt/die from falling out of the stands than getting hit with foul balls or thrown bats. It's only a matter of time before Kevin Kietzmann decides he needs to do something about this and talks about it at every opportunity.

doomy3
07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Damn, just read the article. That is awful.

Al Bundy
07-07-2011, 09:18 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20110707-rangers-fan-dies-after-falling-over-fence-at-rangers-ballpark.ece

Priest31kc
07-07-2011, 09:20 PM
In related news, Josh Hamilton has relapsed.

Cant imagine how he feels right now....Wow

GloryDayz
07-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Fan interference.. He's gotta go!!

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Club officials said the railings were raised after that game from 30.5 inches to 46 inches in the upper and lower areas of the park.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=6747510

Backwards Masking
07-07-2011, 09:38 PM
They'd of tazed him in Philly.

:LOL:

BigRedChief
07-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Cant imagine how he feels right now....Wow
How about his son who watched him die?

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-07-2011, 10:00 PM

Thoughts are with the family and little boy.

Priest31kc
07-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Yeah that is just terrible...

Demonpenz
07-07-2011, 10:27 PM
i am always not so good feeling when drunks are on the escalator at chiefs and royals games

-King-
07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
They removed the video.

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 10:36 PM
thoughts and prayers to the family - tough times! :/

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 10:45 PM
This really blows my mind - i've actually now read the article. Man that really really blows. I feel awful about it.

Titty Meat
07-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Dude the ****ing announcers will laughing

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W0nA-X-5MKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dante84
07-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Dude the ****ing announcers will laughing

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W0nA-X-5MKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

little did they know...

Titty Meat
07-07-2011, 10:53 PM
"They had him on a stretcher. He said, 'Please check on my son. My son was up there by himself.' The people who carried him out reassured him. 'Sir, we'll get your son, we'll make sure he's OK,'" Ziegler said. "He had his arms swinging. He talked and was conscious. We assumed he was OK. But when you find out he's not, it's just tough."

Wow just fucking wow.

Dante84
07-07-2011, 10:55 PM
God that's really, really sad.

That poor kid.

You had better believe that the team is going to be taking care of him. College, trust fund, whatever.

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 10:58 PM
not to state the obvious - but that fence is really short.

-King-
07-07-2011, 10:59 PM
"They had him on a stretcher. He said, 'Please check on my son. My son was up there by himself.' The people who carried him out reassured him. 'Sir, we'll get your son, we'll make sure he's OK,'" Ziegler said. "He had his arms swinging. He talked and was conscious. We assumed he was OK. But when you find out he's not, it's just tough."

Wow just fucking wow.

Damn, what happened between that and him dying? Did a blood vessel pop or something?

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 10:59 PM
also - it just felt like i was watching faces of death, when I watched that. Not a good vibe.

Titty Meat
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Damn, what happened between that and him dying? Did a blood vessel pop or something?

They said he was bleeding pretty bad my guess would be he had some internal bleeding but i'm not a doctor.

PunkinDrublic
07-07-2011, 11:04 PM
The Rangers are in first place again. I don't understand why attendence keeps falling.

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I also noticed that the opening there was very narrow. I'm guessing that's why he was never able to propel himself forward to land on feet enough to live, but who knows? Hard to deal with this tonight. That family needs all of our thoughts and prayers. :( sad times for sure.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Club officials said the railings were raised after that game from 30.5 inches to 46 inches in the upper and lower areas of the park.

ReynardMuldrake
07-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Damn. You really gotta feel for that kid, one second your dad is standing next to you, the next he's gone. He's going to have to live with that for the rest of his life. R.I.P.

Discuss Thrower
07-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Damn. You really gotta feel for that kid, one second your dad is standing next to you, the next he's gone. He's going to have to live with that for the rest of his life. R.I.P.

Not only that, the realization that he died catching an arguably meaningless ball for your benefit... The poor tyke is going to need serious counseling when he reaches the appropriate age.

:/

Seriously, that's incredibly sad and even more incredibly fucked up.

Jewish Rabbi
07-07-2011, 11:20 PM
I think it's clear this death involved foul play.

ReynardMuldrake
07-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Not only that, the realization that he died catching an arguably meaningless ball for your benefit... The poor tyke is going to need serious counseling when he reaches the appropriate age.

:/

Seriously, that's incredibly sad and even more incredibly fucked up.

Yeah, he's going to spend the rest of his life blaming himself, "If I never asked him to catch that ball..."

Ugh, makes me sick to my stomach. No kid deserves that.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-07-2011, 11:24 PM

How can you even make a joke at this show some fing class.

Jewish Rabbi
07-07-2011, 11:25 PM

White Knight Alert!!

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-07-2011, 11:31 PM
just reported that the fan had a sudden heart attack en route to the hospital and died. No doubt the fall brought about the heart attack, but the impact didn't kill him. Very sad.

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 11:46 PM
if anybody thinks this is funny - they should watch billay's video.

Al Bundy
07-07-2011, 11:55 PM
White Knight Alert!!

:shake:

HMc
07-08-2011, 12:16 AM
it's sad but really, leaning over a fence high off the ground is a fairly stupid thing to do.

alnorth
07-08-2011, 12:42 AM

not really, no. It was waist high on a fully-grown man. That fence is probably average or maybe a little higher than fences in most baseball stadiums.

You just don't lean over the rail like that when you are that high off the ground.

brandon
07-08-2011, 06:27 AM
it's sad but really, leaning over a fence high off the ground is a fairly stupid thing to do.

This place has its fair share of hypocrites. Man gets eaten by bear in public park, people make jokes for 5 pages. Man falls of railing trying to reach a baseball and its the worst thing ever.

Deberg_1990
07-08-2011, 06:31 AM
I blame Josh Hamiliton. He could have made a better throw.

Saulbadguy
07-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Well, at least he caught the ball.

Dartgod
07-08-2011, 07:11 AM
It's ChiefsPlanet dude. Plus, its not like anyone here knows the guy or his family will happen to pop in and read this thread.

Yeah, its a tragic story and I feel bad for the son, but a few light hearted comments aren't hurting anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

MahiMike
07-08-2011, 07:22 AM
I just read that. So sad. Poor kid.

WV
07-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Sad sad story, but no way that guy should have fallen over that rail. It's a ball for crying out loud, let it go and catch yourself. He also leaned in front of the guy next to him to try to catch it. I know it's a spur of the moment thing, but now his son is without a father.

Otter
07-08-2011, 07:31 AM
In an ironic twist of fate:

Gold balls! Home Run Derby Will Feature Valuable Souvenirs (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Gold-balls-Home-Run-Derby-will-feature-valuable?urn=mlb-wp11800)

I don't see this causing any problems. I'm mean tossing a piece of gold up into 50k+ inebriated baseball fans in a free for who gets possession.

Seems like a good idea. Really!

Okie_Apparition
07-08-2011, 07:35 AM
This place has its fair share of hypocrites. Man gets eaten by bear in public park, people make jokes for 5 pages. Man falls of railing trying to reach a baseball and its the worst thing ever.

Well let's be honest here, it's not like he was running from the cops & jumped into the rapid currents of a river & vanished :sarcasm smilie:

KCUnited
07-08-2011, 07:37 AM
That hotdog launch at the K goes over like a garter toss at a single mom convention. That's usually when I get up to use the can.

Hydrae
07-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Ok, I laughed a little.

Actually, I thank you for this post as I was feeling pretty down reading about this. Your post helped me remember that while this was a tragedy for this family, life goes on and honestly, this has no actual affect on my life.

alnorth
07-08-2011, 08:19 AM

I'd imagine that's probably because, aside from his kid watching him bleed, the bear guy was a lunatic who all but begged the bears to eat him. This guy made a very stupid mistake that maybe in the back of our minds we could see ourselves doing if we were dumb, careless, and drunk enough.

PunkinDrublic
07-08-2011, 08:46 AM
The ironic thing is that the guy that fell last year and the the guy that fell yesterday were both firefighters. If anybody should know the consequences of being unaware of where you are positioned at great heights they should know. For christs sakes it's part of their training. What is it with some people and the chance at a foul ball that makes them totally disregard their own safety. On the bright side he has a shot at ESPNs top 10 web gems.

gblowfish
07-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Didn't look like it was that far of a fall, and if he's a fire fighter, he's probably in decent shape. Very strange, one of those oddball things.

Demonpenz
07-08-2011, 08:55 AM
I was trying to rip open a chicken leg one time with a fork and I tried so hard and the fork ripped through the skin and stabbed me in the eye.

Rams Fan
07-08-2011, 08:57 AM
White Knight Alert!!

Not cool.

Anyways, I don't even know what to say. I feel for his kid right now.

Bearcat
07-08-2011, 09:00 AM
More people seem to get hurt/die from falling out of the stands than getting hit with foul balls or thrown bats. It's only a matter of time before Kevin Kietzmann decides he needs to do something about this and talks about it at every opportunity.

I've always wondered how there aren't many more serious injuries with foul balls. I saw a kid get hit in the head with a one-hop foul at a T-Bones game a couple weeks ago (he was bleeding quite a bit, but apparently ended up with only a few stitches and a concussion), and it seems like that kind of stuff would happen several times per game.... or maybe it does and we just don't hear about it.

PunkinDrublic
07-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Didn't look like it was that far of a fall, and if he's a fire fighter, he's probably in decent shape. Very strange, one of those oddball things.

It's not an oddball thing. Every time you lean like that over the rail you risk losing your balance and falling.

Saul Good
07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Kietzman is now demanding that all fans be wrapped in screens prior to each game. He will speak of nothing else until this is done (except for grilling, the racing boys, and his golf game).

gblowfish
07-08-2011, 09:07 AM
It's not an oddball thing. Every time you lean like that over the rail you risk losing your balance and falling.

I mean odd that he would die. You'd think maybe a broken arm or leg.

ForeverChiefs58
07-08-2011, 09:57 AM
I mean odd that he would die. You'd think maybe a broken arm or leg.

he fell head first

alnorth
07-08-2011, 10:01 AM

It was 20 feet head-first. He could have died instantly instead of on the ambulance. If you look later in the video they show how far down it was behind the wall.

PunkinDrublic
07-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't know if they have it at the K but at the ballpark in Arlington there is at least one sign in every aisle that warns people not to lean over the rail.

jspchief
07-08-2011, 10:10 AM
he fell head first... and died of a heart attack.

It's definitely odd.

Dante84
07-08-2011, 10:12 AM
... and died of a heart attack.

It's definitely odd.

He went into cardiac arrest because his brain stopped functioning.

It's not odd for your heart to stop when your brain stops.

BigCatDaddy
07-08-2011, 10:16 AM
He went into cardiac arrest because his brain stopped functioning.

It's not odd for your heart to stop when your brain stops.

How did his brain stop when he was talking to the paramedics?

Demonpenz
07-08-2011, 10:18 AM

Evidently you can't read good

jspchief
07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
How did his brain stop when he was talking to the paramedics?Swelling?

It wasn't an overly long drop, and the guy was moving and speaking after it happened. I'm no MD, but the fact that he died soon after definitely seems surprising.

Not sure it's an issue worthy of debate. Much like a foul ball isn't worthy of a 20' faceplant.

Demonpenz
07-08-2011, 10:20 AM
A fan attending a Texas Rangers game died Thursday night after falling out of the stands behind the left-field wall.

The man, 39-year-old Brownwood firefighter Lt. Shannon Stone, fell after reaching to get a ball that was tossed into the stands by Rangers left fielder Josh Hamilton in the second inning. Stone had been a firefighter for nearly 18 years, according to a report in the Brownwood Bulletin. "My Brain isn't working causing me to have heart attack!"
"We are deeply saddened to learn that the man who fell has passed away as a result of this tragic accident," Rangers president Nolan Ryan said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Witness Jamie Houston said Hamilton threw the ball into the stands after a foul ball hit an empty seat and bounced back onto the field.

Dante84
07-08-2011, 10:24 AM

um...

My guess is that he talked to paramedics, then his brain stopped working, then his heart stopped working.

Dante84
07-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Swelling?

It wasn't an overly long drop, and the guy was moving and speaking after it happened. I'm no MD, but the fact that he died soon after definitely seems surprising.

Not sure it's an issue worthy of debate. Much like a foul ball isn't worthy of a 20' faceplant.

Swelling, or a brain bleed, yes.

PunkinDrublic
07-08-2011, 10:33 AM
As a Royals fan I've thought many a times about volunterily taking the plunge myself.

BigCatDaddy
07-08-2011, 10:34 AM
A fan attending a Texas Rangers game died Thursday night after falling out of the stands behind the left-field wall.

The man, 39-year-old Brownwood firefighter Lt. Shannon Stone, fell after reaching to get a ball that was tossed into the stands by Rangers left fielder Josh Hamilton in the second inning. Stone had been a firefighter for nearly 18 years, according to a report in the Brownwood Bulletin. "My Brain isn't working causing me to have heart attack!"
"We are deeply saddened to learn that the man who fell has passed away as a result of this tragic accident," Rangers president Nolan Ryan said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Witness Jamie Houston said Hamilton threw the ball into the stands after a foul ball hit an empty seat and bounced back onto the field.

Yes, yes. My fault, I must have missed that the first time.

alnorth
07-08-2011, 10:34 AM

This isn't exactly an incredibly intricate puzzle. He fell 20 feet on his head. So, his brain likely began to bleed. Eventually the pressure in his head caused by the bleed, or parts of his brain not getting blood, or both caused his brain to fail shortly after he was talking.

BigCatDaddy
07-08-2011, 10:40 AM
This isn't exactly an incredibly intricate puzzle. He fell 20 feet on his head. So, his brain likely began to bleed. Eventually the pressure in his head caused by the bleed, or parts of his brain not getting blood, or both caused his brain to fail shortly after he was talking.

Or possibly some sort of shock?

Simply Red
07-08-2011, 10:45 AM

somewhat of a valid point, I was probably the one you were referring to - In this accident I am sad mostly because of the child.

I'd WALK with my deterrent 'in hand' - if i were in Yellowstone. But yes, equally, the accident in the stands wasn't much smarter. The kid's grief hurts all the way to Georgia and KC.

Simply Red
07-08-2011, 10:49 AM
and the Hulk throwing the stuffed bear gifs were dynamite - so suck it!

JD10367
07-08-2011, 10:54 AM
The ironic thing is that the guy that fell last year and the the guy that fell yesterday were both firefighters. If anybody should know the consequences of being unaware of where you are positioned at great heights they should know. For christs sakes it's part of their training.

You may have hit upon the exact reason: overconfidence. The average fan is probably too scared shitless to lean over, but maybe these guys thought, "Hey, I've got great balance, I do shit like this for a living, I'm in great shape..."

As for poking fun, yeah, of course I feel for the kid who had to watch. But for the guy himself, I can't help but feel a little "Darwin Award"-y, like the genius protesting motorcycle helmet laws who fell off his bike. When someone voluntarily and stupidly leans over a railing to try to catch a ball and falls, I'm not sure it fits the definition of "tragic" as much as "stupid and avoidable".

rocknrolla
07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
also - it just felt like i was watching faces of death, when I watched that. Not a good vibe.

That was my thought. Exactly. Faces of death, I could never watch. Just creeped me out.

Deberg_1990
07-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Josh Hamilton speaks out about it......Im sure this dude is torn up over it....

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Josh-Hamilton-talks-about-Shannon-Stone-8217-s-?urn=mlb-wp11986

"The first [foul] ball I got I threw it to the ball girl. [...]

"Behind me I heard someone say 'Hey Hamilton how about the next one?' I turned around and Stone was the first guy I saw sitting there with his son. I gave him a nod and I got the next one and threw it in that direction. [...]

"They were the first ones I saw. When I got it, I found them again and threw it in that direction. If the same situation came up and this hadn't happened, I'd do it again."

"You do it so many times you just don't think about it. At the same time, as a player throwing the ball, you don't know what's going through that person's mind who's going to try and catch the ball. It's something to take a look at."

kstater
07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I can't believe this didn't make the not top 10 this week. I mean the dude died fer christ sakes.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2011, 07:21 PM
E-10?

DJ's left nut
09-30-2011, 01:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7039463/son-texas-rangers-fan-shannon-stone-throw-alds-pitch

Dammit - it's gonna get all dusty and stuff...

Demonpenz
09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Sharon Stone is a good choice.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2011, 01:59 PM
classy move. get your tissues out.

Matt Moore for HOF
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Too bad Matt Moore is going to spoil that little kid's day.

Bowser
09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7039463/son-texas-rangers-fan-shannon-stone-throw-alds-pitch

Dammit - it's gonna get all dusty and stuff...

Jesus Christ. The idiots at ESPN really know how to stick the proper ad in front of the video, don't they?

Fish
09-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Jesus Christ. The idiots at ESPN really know how to stick the proper ad in front of the video, don't they?

Wow... Epic FAIL.....