PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 8 circuit rules lockout is legal

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 08:50 AM
wow huge

mortreportChris Mortensen
8th Circuit timing a surprise but actual ruling was expected. That was clear to players/owners when overruled Judge Nelson on lockout

Skyy God
07-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Well, that was totally unnecessary on their part. Given how negotiations were progressing, they should have delayed the ruling a week.

Rams Fan
07-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Not exactly good timing.

Los Pollos Hermanos
07-08-2011, 08:59 AM
They also ruled that rookies and free agents can't be locked out because they are not under contract.

Does that mean coaches can contact draft picks and start getting them up to speed?

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 09:00 AM
ProFootballWklyPro Football Weekly

8th Circuit Cout says that players not under contract can't be locked out. So rookie, free agents may be able to talk with teams very soon.

Skyy God
07-08-2011, 09:01 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-lockout-8th-circuit-2011-7#ixzz1RWgZd2eo

However, the timing is curious. Observers assumed that because negotiations between the owners and players were progressing and friendly again, there was no need for the court to announce their ruling. Let them solve it themselves.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Rich_TandlerRich Tandler

So it looks like undrafted free agents could be signed, rookie minicamps next week?

Dave Lane
07-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Well good news, bad news at least we can start getting rookies play books and the like and work toward getting them under contract and start testing the water on free agents. But as soon as they sign a contract they can no longer talk LMAO

Bad news owners may decide to get tougher and throw negotiations off track again.

Rausch
07-08-2011, 09:08 AM
This completely swings momentum and fucks negotiations.

Started with players, then temporarily back to the middle, then told "you won't like it if you leave it up to us."

Progress was made.

Now there's absolutely no reason for the aggressive owners not to play hardball.

Soon it will be Big Money owners vs. Conservative owners vs. Players...

Skyy God
07-08-2011, 09:11 AM
2-1 split on ideological lines.

Btw, a 1 month turnaround from oral arguments to decision is pretty much unheard of. The judges went out of their way to f up the process.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 09:13 AM
ProFootballTalkProFootballTalk

Loophole in 8th Circuit ruling could force teams to sign free agents and rookies if lockout isn't resolved http://t.co/sIrd8Zy

Rams Fan
07-08-2011, 09:15 AM

Loophole in 8th Circuit ruling could force teams to sign free agents and rookies if lockout isn't resolved http://t.co/sIrd8Zy

FUCK YEAH.

So, is there a chance that we could see a preseason filled with rookies and FAs only?

Rams Fan
07-08-2011, 09:17 AM
One of the judges is going to be on vacation starting Saturday, so maybe the court wanted to give its ruling before the judge went on vacation?

talastan
07-08-2011, 09:29 AM
One of the judges is going to be on vacation starting Saturday, so maybe the court wanted to give its ruling before the judge went on vacation?

This IMO was the judges throwing the lawyers a bone and making sure that the process keeps them and the court involved as long as possible. No actual facts, JMO. If this screws up the Labor talks then it is hard for me to see any other reason why the court would feel they had to act based on the fact that both sides were coming to a resolution on their own.

-King-
07-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Hopefully this doesn't fuck up the negotiations
Posted via Mobile Device

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 09:47 AM
This IMO was the judges throwing the lawyers a bone and making sure that the process keeps them and the court involved as long as possible. No actual facts, JMO. If this screws up the Labor talks then it is hard for me to see any other reason why the court would feel they had to act based on the fact that both sides were coming to a resolution on their own.

OR....

Maybe the court was operating on their OWN timeline regardless of how the negotiations were going. It's not like they didn't give them time.

Skyy God
07-08-2011, 09:51 AM
OR....

Maybe the court was operating on their OWN timeline regardless of how the negotiations were going. It's not like they didn't give them time.

There we go. It is, after all, a lifetime appointment.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 10:09 AM
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

Wanna really boil this down? 8th Cir to Players/Owners: "Solve this thing soon, or you're gonna have a real ugly situation on your hands."

Amnorix
07-08-2011, 10:17 AM

I'm reading the ruling now. It's not a "loophole", it's how the 8th Circuit interpreted the application of the law to the situation and the district court ruling.

For now, the ENTIRE lockout remains in effect because the ENTIRE injunction is vacated. The court could, however, validly impose an injunction on the league prohibiting it from locking out FAs and rookies, but it must first go through some procedural hurdles as required by the law.

So the entire lockout remains in effect. Status quo continues.

Amnorix
07-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Full opinion: http://www.ca8.uscourts.gov/nfl/ca8_live.11.cv.1898.3805522.0.pdf

2-1 decision. It's clear there are alot of items to dispute, and that neither the players nor the league can be confident of the outcome if the issue remains in the courts.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 10:54 AM
judybattistaJudy Battista

RT @TheBlueScreen: The #NYG pulled the plug on training camp in Albany, will held at their Meadowlands practice facility instead. #NFL

GMEN owner is in on these talks wounder if he knows something.

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 10:55 AM
judybattistaJudy Battista

RT @TheBlueScreen: The #NYG pulled the plug on training camp in Albany, will held at their Meadowlands practice facility instead. #NFL

GMEN owner is in on these talks wounder if he knows something.

WTF does that have to do with labor negotiations?

Los Pollos Hermanos
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
WTF does that have to do with labor negotiations?

Could mean they don't think there will be a deal before camp is supposed to start.

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Could mean they don't think there will be a deal before camp is supposed to start.

That's a HUGE reach. I mean...really f'n big reach. That's a Tyson Jackson type reach.

Okie_Apparition
07-08-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't see how you could sign a rookie without knowing a rookie payscale that hasn't been decided. A rookie has a big enough problem without having their teammates pissed at them. Punkass scab

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I don't see how you could sign a rookie without knowing a rookie payscale that hasn't been decided. A rookie has a big enough problem without having their teammates pissed at them.

Because the Rookie Payscale may not take effect till next season?

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 11:08 AM
BmitchliveBrian Mitchell

by Rich_Tandler

Very reliable sources indicate the lockout is near end. 2nite @8pm on bmitchlive.tv redskins spotlight cont. W/ @AdamCarriker

Drwbllz
07-08-2011, 11:14 AM
BmitchliveBrian Mitchell

by Rich_Tandler

Very reliable sources indicate the lockout is near end. 2nite @8pm on bmitchlive.tv redskins spotlight cont. W/ @AdamCarriker

Sal Pal just said on Sportscenter that he expects it to be done by Monday or Tuesday. :)

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Sal Pal just said on Sportscenter that he expects it to be done by Monday or Tuesday. :)

At that point, UDRFA's should start getting signed later that week followed by F/A's and the start of mini OTA's. Followed by rookie signings and, and and

Basically it'll be non stop football until February WOO FUCKING HOO!!!!

4th and Long
07-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Please Help if You Can . . .

Hundreds of Professional Football players in our very own nation are going to be locked out, forced through no fault if their own to live at well below the seven-figure salary level they have been receiving. And as if that weren't bad enough they could be deprived of their life-giving pay for several months, possibly even longer, as a result of the upcoming lockout situation. But here'a the GOOD news -- YOU can help!

For only $27,080 a month, only about $902.75 a day (that's less than the cost of a large screen projection TV), you can help an NFL player remain economically viable during his time of need. This contribution by no means solves the problem totally, as it barely covers the annual minimum salary, but it IS a start, and every little bit helps!

Although $900 may not seem like a lot of money to you, to a football player it could mean the difference between spending the lockout golfing in Florida or on a Mediterranean cruise. For you, nine hundred dollars is nothing more than a month's rent, a mortgage payment, or a month of medical insurance, but to a football player, $900 will partially replace his daily salary.

Your commitment of only $900 a day will enable a player to buy that badly needed home entertainment center, trade in his year-old Lexus for a new Ferrari, or enjoy a weekend in Rio .

YOU MAY ASK -- HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING?

Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on the player you sponsor. Detailed information about his stocks, bonds, 401(k), real estate, and other investment holdings will be mailed to your home. Plus, upon signing up for this program, you will receive an unsigned photo of the player lounging during the lockout on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean (for a signed photo, please include an additional $150). Put the photo on your refrigerator to remind you of other peoples' suffering.

YOU MAY ASK -- HOW WILL HE KNOW I'M HELPING?

Your NFL player will be told that he has a SPECIAL FRIEND who just wants to help in a time of need. Although the player won't know your name, he will be able to make collect calls to your home via a special operator in case additional funds are needed for unforeseen expenses.

YES, I WANT TO HELP!

I would like to sponsor a locked-out NFL player. My preference is (check below):

[ ] Offense [ ] Defense [ ] Special Teams [ ] Entire team

Please charge the account listed below $902.75 per day for the duration of the lockout.

Please send me a picture of the player and my very own Roger Goodell (NFL Commissioner) pin to wear proudly on my hat (include $80 for hat).

Your Name:____________________

Telephone Number:___________________

Account Number:__________________

Exp.Date:_______

[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Other

Signature:_______________________

Alternate card (when the primary card exceeds its credit limit):

Account Number:_______________________

Signature:________________________________

PS. If you have a little extra, in your charity would you please enclose something for the needy cheerleaders. Contrary to public opinion, cheerleaders ARE people too.

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 11:20 AM
The NFL and the NFLPA issued a joint statement Friday insisting that both sides remain committed to a quick resolution of the labor stalemate.
The statement reads: "While we respect the court's decision, today's ruling does not change our mutual recognition that this matter must be resolved through negotiation. We are committed to our current discussions and reaching a fair agreement that will benefit all parties for years to come and allow for a full 2011 season." To sum up, nothing has changed.

For any of you worried.

Okie_Apparition
07-08-2011, 11:21 AM
The server will be throughly tested in the next two weeks. Things will be going fast & furious

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 11:22 AM
The server will be throughly tested in the next two weeks. Things will be going fast & furious

lol:LOL::LOL:

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 11:22 AM

OK Gang.....

Don't shoot the messenger, but I just learned that Hugh Douglas is coming to KC to be our new NT. He's boarding a plane right now......

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 11:24 AM
OK Gang.....

Don't shoot the messenger, but I just learned that Hugh Douglas is coming to KC to be our new NT. He's boarding a plane right now......

Damm i was hoping for Derrick Ransom to come back.

Priest31kc
07-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Cant wait for free agency, it is going to be crazy.

JD10367
07-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Last week up here in New England they announced that Patriots tickets would be on sale mid-July.

It sounds like everyone in general realized this needed to get done by a certain date and, like a procrastinating student with a paper due on a Monday morning who decides to ignore it until Sunday night, they pretty much waiting until they got to the final hours to see who would budge the most.

As long as we have a full training camp and season, I'm happy.

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 11:34 AM
GO CHIEFS!!!!

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 11:34 AM
GO CHIEFS!!!!

Sorry. Couldn't hold back my excitement.

Mr. Laz
07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Cant wait for free agency, it is going to be crazy.until Pioli waits his traditional 3 weeks of FA price cool down before he starts trying to sign players only to realize that the FA period is only 2 weeks long. :doh!:

JD10367
07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
until Pioli waits his traditional 3 weeks of FA price cool down before he starts trying to sign players only to realize that the FA period is only 2 weeks long. :doh!:

Yeah, Pioli sucks, you guys should fire him.

Bowser
07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
OK Gang.....

What about Ty Law? WHAT ABOUT TY LAW???

chiefqueen
07-08-2011, 11:49 AM
They also ruled that rookies and free agents can't be locked out because they are not under contract.

Does that mean coaches can contact draft picks and start getting them up to speed?

If I were Haley I would.

Bowser
07-08-2011, 11:50 AM
until Pioli waits his traditional 3 weeks of FA price cool down before he starts trying to sign players only to realize that the FA period is only 2 weeks long. :doh!:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/zerosignal/Not_Sure_If_Serious.jpg?t=1295430649

Bowser
07-08-2011, 11:50 AM
If I were Haley I would.

Yep

Amnorix
07-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Just to avoid confusion, the answer for now is NO. The ***ENTIRE*** injunction was vacated. The 8th circuit opened the door for the possibility of issuing a valid injunction prohibiting the lockout of FAs and rookies, but the district court needs to go through some procedural hoops (hearings, etc.) to accomplish that.

Something that would take a substantial amount of time. Think "weeks, if not a month or more", rather than days.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 12:18 PM
http://deadspin.com/5819427/ wow read this shit

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 01:24 PM
http://deadspin.com/5819427/ wow read this shit

I'm sure that's a lot of interesting shit to rummage through if someone had the time, patience and understanding.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 01:43 PM
AdamSchefterAdam Schefter
Sal Pal is is reporting that De Smith is holding a conference call with NFL player reps from all 32 teams. Call began at 3 pm EDT.

1 minute agoFavoriteRetweetReply

KCrockaholic
07-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Sal Pal is is reporting that De Smith is holding a conference call with NFL player reps from all 32 teams. Call began at 3 pm EDT.

1 minute agoFavoriteRetweetReply

Hmmm.... This is either REALLY good news. Or REALLY bad news. I don't know which.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 01:49 PM

On the conference call with the player reps, De Smith is debriefing them on the meaning of today's court ruling.

suzzer99
07-08-2011, 01:56 PM
For any of you in a sky-is-falling panic.

Mr. Laz
07-08-2011, 02:18 PM
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/zerosignal/Not_Sure_If_Serious.jpg?t=1295430649
just the way i like it

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff32/evildrew81/scary%20stuff/Joker.gif?t=1242024318

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 02:33 PM
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

I'm told thus far - 7.5 hours in - very little progress has been made on key ussues today. Decision yet to come on potential weekend talks.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
realfreemancbsmike freema

Hearing from moderates on both sides reacting to 8th circuit: concerned extremists from both sides will use decision to push agendas

Yea i bet they are miles apart on a deal.

vailpass
07-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm sure that's a lot of interesting shit to rummage through if someone had the time, patience and understanding.

LMAO Exactly. Why people post forever documents and videos is beyond me.

vailpass
07-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Players don't want to be locked out.
Owners can't miss pre-sesaon or they give back $200 million.
Deal gets done.
Activist court needs to STFU.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 04:16 PM
mortreportChris Mortensen

RT @RAC_820: no more nfl lockout? @mortreport >> Not a good two days. That's all I can tell you. Wish I had different news.

chasedude
07-08-2011, 04:25 PM
How can the owners legally lockout players from stadiums when many areas the taxpayers pay for large percentages?

Nightfyre
07-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Manning will be exempt from the franchise tag for being personally named in the suit against the nfl, no?

Titty Meat
07-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Theres not gonna be a season :(

vailpass
07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Agreement will be reached on or before next Friday.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 04:44 PM
gregaielloGreg Aiello

The talks have recessed for the day. Negotiations will continue.

37 seconds agoFavoriteRetweetReply

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

I'm told no face to face talks scheduled until Monday. At the earliest. Communication will continue though.

KCrockaholic
07-08-2011, 05:16 PM
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

I'm told no face to face talks scheduled until Monday. At the earliest. Communication will continue though.

JFC these guys are stupid.

Titty Meat
07-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Uh I thought the deadline was next week? WTF.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer
Labor negotiations resume Monday, with legal teams and staffs meeting in New York City. Players/owners TBD ... Tuesday or Wednesday likely.

SURE SOUNDS LIKE THEY WANNA MAKE A DEAL LOL

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-08-2011, 09:56 PM
ChiefsandOsFan Greg @
@ RudyNiswanger think we have a deal by mid week?
29 minutes ago Favorite Reply Delete

RudyNiswanger Rudy Niswanger
“@ ChiefsandOsFan: @ RudyNiswanger think we have a deal by mid week?”-I would like to see that as long as it is a deal that is fair for all

ChiefsandOsFan Greg @
@ RudyNiswanger just remember without us the fans you dont have a league./

“@ ChiefsandOsFan: @ RudyNiswanger just remember without us the fans you dont have a league./”- it takes 3 to tango (owners/players/fans)

ChiefsandOsFan Greg @
@ RudyNiswanger so can we have a seat at the table then???????????

“@ ChiefsandOsFan: @ RudyNiswanger so can we have a seat at the table then?"-gov couldn't do business w/out citizens, but I am not in congress

ChiefsandOsFan Greg @
@ RudyNiswanger Dude we vote in the congress guess you forgot that.

“@ ChiefsandOsFan: @ RudyNiswanger Dude we vote in the congress guess you forgot that.”-I didnt cast a vote for debt ceiling did you

ChiefsandOsFan Greg @
@ RudyNiswanger you will in 2012 when you vote like im talking to the wall

RudyNiswanger Rudy Niswanger @
@ ChiefsandOsFan You have a vote every time you buy a ticket or any other NFL affiliated product

Please chiefs cut this clown.

BryanBusby
07-09-2011, 03:35 AM
This thread title is wrong as hell. The ruling that the lockout should be immediately lifted was struck down, but they didn't rule on if it was legal or not.

The Brady vs. NFL suit will push forward if it goes to that point.

Los Pollos Hermanos
07-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Please chiefs cut this clown.

I'm not sure what Rudy said that makes him the "clown".

- CFoD -

GloryDayz
07-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Please Help if You Can . . .

Hundreds of Professional Football players in our very own nation are going to be locked out, forced through no fault if their own to live at well below the seven-figure salary level they have been receiving. And as if that weren't bad enough they could be deprived of their life-giving pay for several months, possibly even longer, as a result of the upcoming lockout situation. But here'a the GOOD news -- YOU can help!

For only $27,080 a month, only about $902.75 a day (that's less than the cost of a large screen projection TV), you can help an NFL player remain economically viable during his time of need. This contribution by no means solves the problem totally, as it barely covers the annual minimum salary, but it IS a start, and every little bit helps!

Although $900 may not seem like a lot of money to you, to a football player it could mean the difference between spending the lockout golfing in Florida or on a Mediterranean cruise. For you, nine hundred dollars is nothing more than a month's rent, a mortgage payment, or a month of medical insurance, but to a football player, $900 will partially replace his daily salary.

Your commitment of only $900 a day will enable a player to buy that badly needed home entertainment center, trade in his year-old Lexus for a new Ferrari, or enjoy a weekend in Rio .

YOU MAY ASK -- HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING?

Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on the player you sponsor. Detailed information about his stocks, bonds, 401(k), real estate, and other investment holdings will be mailed to your home. Plus, upon signing up for this program, you will receive an unsigned photo of the player lounging during the lockout on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean (for a signed photo, please include an additional $150). Put the photo on your refrigerator to remind you of other peoples' suffering.

YOU MAY ASK -- HOW WILL HE KNOW I'M HELPING?

Your NFL player will be told that he has a SPECIAL FRIEND who just wants to help in a time of need. Although the player won't know your name, he will be able to make collect calls to your home via a special operator in case additional funds are needed for unforeseen expenses.

YES, I WANT TO HELP!

I would like to sponsor a locked-out NFL player. My preference is (check below):

[ ] Offense [ ] Defense [ ] Special Teams [ ] Entire team

Please charge the account listed below $902.75 per day for the duration of the lockout.

Please send me a picture of the player and my very own Roger Goodell (NFL Commissioner) pin to wear proudly on my hat (include $80 for hat).

Your Name:____________________

Telephone Number:___________________

Account Number:__________________

Signature:_______________________

Alternate card (when the primary card exceeds its credit limit):

Account Number:_______________________

Signature:________________________________

PS. If you have a little extra, in your charity would you please enclose something for the needy cheerleaders. Contrary to public opinion, cheerleaders ARE people too.

LOL!!! Rep!!!