PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I'm getting antsy, so here's 2011.

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 02:36 PM
With a tougher schedule and a team still very young and in rebuild mode, the best we can hope for is that the Chiefs maintain a record of 8-8 or better, and progressed to the point where future runs are much more likely.

We resign Tamba Hali to a 4-year during the season (due to the lockout cap on contract years), $36m deal with 10m guaranteed. Carr is resigned to a 4-year deal for $16m deal with $4m guaranteed. We sign Shaun Smith for a 3-year deal, $10 million, $1m guaranteed.

We also resign Pope and Ron Edwards to insignificant deals designed to keep them around for a couple more years.

Vrabel retires to coach at OSU. Brian Waters gets cut, Asamoah steps in at LG. We sign Wiegmann to a one year deal to keep Hudson as a backup to all three interior line positions.

We let go Croyle, Cox, Castille, O'Callaghan, Niswanger, Mays, Daniels, and in a surprising twist, Jon McGraw.

Of the rookies, we have a couple holdouts, but everybody's signed and on the team that we drafted in April.

We sign the following free agents:

* RT Jeremy Trueblood, Bucs -- 3 years, $9 million
* QB Nate Davis -- 2 years, $2 million
* WR Steve Breaston, Cardinals -- 2 years, $5 million
* WR Sam Hurd, Cowboys -- 2 years, $3 million
* FS Corey Lynch, Bucaneers, -- 2 years, $3 million

And the following UDFAs:

* FS Anthony Walters, Delaware
* CB Ryan Jones, Northern Missouri State
* WR Jeff Maehl, Oregon
* SS Joe Lefeged, Rutgers
* C Tim Barnes, Missouri

After four preseason games, here's the roster:

QB: Cassel, Davis, Stanzi
RB: Charles, Jones, McCluster, Battle
FB: Bannon

WR: Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, Hurd, Copper, Maehl
TE: Moeaki, Pope, O'Connell

LT: Albert, Richardson
LG: Asamoah, Hudson
C: Wiegmann, Hudson, Barnes
RG: Lilja, Hudson
RT: Trueblood, Richardson

DE: Dorsey, Bailey
NT: Smith, Edwards, Powe
DE: Jackson, Gilberry

OLB: Hali, Miller
ILB: Belcher, Johnson
ILB: Johnson, Williams
OLB: Studebaker, Houston

CB: Flowers, Carr, Arenas, Brown, Jones
S: Berry, Carr, Lynch, Lefeged, Walters

K: Succop
P: Colquitt
LS: Gafford
KR: McCluster, Arenas
PR: Arenas, McCluster

Week 1: vs. Bills W
Week 2: @Lions L
Week 3: @Chargers L
Week 4: vs. Vikings W
Week 5: @Colts W
Week 6: BYE
Week 7: @ Raiders L
Week 8: vs. Chargers (MNF) L
Week 9: vs. Dolphins W
Week 10: vs. Broncos W
Week 11: @Patriots (MNF) L
Week 12: vs. Steelers (SNF) L
Week 13: @Bears W
Week 14: @Jets L
Week 15: vs. Packers L
Week 16: vs. Raiders (Christmas Eve) W
Week 17: @Broncos W

We finish the season 8-8 (5-3 at home) against a tough schedule of veteran teams, but we get much better in the following ways:

Our young rookie crop looks really promising. Baldwin records 65 receptions, 30 of them in the last five games of the year, including a 9-reception, 165 yard performance against the Raiders on Christmas Eve. Powe and Bailey will have played a bit in the last eight games of the season due to injuries (they were inactive the first eight). They both show well, but also look very lost at times. Houston had a really strong final three games of the year. Hudson comes in for imbalanced lines, and shows extremely well. The offensive line plays very well, and Charles/McCluster combine for 1,800 yards rushing. After Albert goes down with an ankle injury for two weeks, Barry Richardson looks pretty good as a patch at left tackle. Stanzi looked good in small bursts in preseason. Nate Davis... not so much. Cassel stays healthy all year, looks great in a select few games, and actually has a drive that wins us a game as an underdog. The team respects him as their unquestioned leader, although nobody gets in Thomas Jones' way. Our young secondary plays incredibly well as a unit. Crennel keeps churning out his magic as DC, but Haley's playcalling is at times brilliant (we'll have three 40+ point games), and at times dour (the Chargers will shut us out in Arrowhead). And we will have the following issues: The following injuries will have been incurred: Edwards (out in week 8, misses rest of season), Jackson (out in week 3, comes back in limited action in week 11, Belcher (week 11, comes back week 16), Thomas Jones (week 5, comes back week 14), Bowe (week 12, comes back next week), Brandon Albert (week 7, comes back week 10) Jackson plays well in the first three games of the year, but goes out with injury AGAIN, giving Bailey and Gilberry the "in" they need to wrestle for the LDE position in 2012. Houston looked lost until the last three weeks of the year. Sheffield never looked good. Berry still struggles to cover tight ends. The Chargers outscore us in a combined 62 points in both games they play us. Trueblood struggles to protect Cassel too well at RT. They pull him for Richardson by Week 10. After the lockout, the Chiefs all look at Cassel as an unquestioned leader of the team. Cassel does his usual efficient work, racking up an impressive 30TD but throws 17INT. It is very clear we have no depth at ILB. When he's healthy and playing, Albert will once again struggle at LT.Pro Bowlers: Charles, Bowe, Dorsey, Hali, Berry

All Pro: Berry

Cassel throws for 3,500 yards, 30 TDs, 17 INTs. Up and down, alllllll year. He racks up a bunch of those statistics in the last five games of the year as Baldwin catches fire, and as the run game wears out.

Charles racks up 1,100 on the ground, McCluster racks up 800. Both look sterling, but TJ goes down with injury for most of the season and both backs get worn out by Week 13. TJ finishes with 250 yards rushing, Battle with 62 yards.

Top receivers: Bowe is healthy all year, and brings in 82 receptions for 1,300 yards and 9 TDs, and misses an All Pro mention by a hair. Baldwin brings in 65 receptions and 6 TDs. Moeaki, 67 with 8 TDs. Breaston, 51 and 2 TDs. All other receivers get the scraps.

Defense racks up a ton of sacks and a lot of pressure, especially as Edwards and Jackson go down with injury, creating opportunities for Shaun Smith (who is reborn as a true NT) and Bailey (who only records 1 sack, in Week 16, but gets after it with such tenacity, he creates sacks for everyone else). Hali gets twelve, and a combined twelve more come from Studebaker (7) and Houston (5, all in the last three games). The DL does better... Edwards gets one sack before going down with injury. Dorsey brings in four, but the star is Wallace Gilberry who does his thing in limited snaps and racks up 9. The secondary is responsible for 7 sacks all year, with Berry getting 4, Arenas 2 and Carr sniffs out a naked bootleg. Jackson gets 0.

Leading tacklers: DJ gets 130, Berry has an outstanding year with 95. Belcher also gets 90+, Flowers 70-some and Dorsey adds 50 to lead the DL.

Berry leads the team with 6 INT, including a masterful 3 INT performance against the Jets in a losing effort. Flowers gets four of his own, but teams largely throw at Carr (2 INTs) and whatever nickel and dime corners we put on the field.

Notes about the upcoming offseason:

Wiegmann retires, and the Chiefs plug in Hudson as their incumbent 2012 starter at center.

The Chiefs will be in the hunt for two new starting caliber offensive tackles. If Matt Light is free, he may be brought in for a patch at LT, but the Chiefs will be on the hunt to trade up for a tackle they love in the 2012 draft.

The Chiefs also have an Achilles heel all season: they can't score in the Red Zone. Thomas Jones will go out with an injury for almost the entire year, and while McCluster and Charles look brilliant all year, there is no goalline back.

They will need some linebacker depth, and interior offensive line depth.

Baldwin and Houston will have come on very strong towards the end of the year. Baldwin will look brilliant in the last five games, Houston will look like he's "getting it" by Week 15.

It's clear after one season that Miller and Bannon are busts. Jalil Brown and Arenas look good as secondary depth, but only in bits and pieces. Brown's actually looked good, but QBs keep picking on Arenas.

Nate Davis had to play a quarter of football against the Patriots while Cassel was recovering from a hit. He played so horribly he was inactivated for the rest of the season.

The Chargers reach the Super Bowl against the Packers and lose, 35-28.

The Chiefs are heavily rumored to like OT Riley Rieff of Iowa for their 1st round pick, which will be in the teens, and RB Trent Richardson out of Alabama.

Any questions?

frankotank
07-08-2011, 02:40 PM
holy shit! think about that much?

keg in kc
07-08-2011, 02:42 PM
holy shit! think about that much?After reading it, I'm going to say "no".

Hammock Parties
07-08-2011, 02:43 PM
McCluster racks up 800

Dumbest thing you have ever posted.

Mr. Laz
07-08-2011, 02:43 PM
McCluster racks up 800
you're insane

Hammock Parties
07-08-2011, 02:44 PM
The Chiefs also have an Achilles heel all season: they can't score in the Red Zone.

Two giant WRs and a giant TE and we can't score in the red zone...sure.

Hammock Parties
07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Direckshun's posts are 90 percent awesome stuff and 10 percent utter lunacy.

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Dumbest thing you have ever posted.

You clearly haven't been to DC.

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Two giant WRs and a giant TE and we can't score in the red zone...sure.

I should have qualified. I was talking specifically about the run game.

Thought it was implied, but there it is.

durtyrute
07-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Wow that was alot. I like it. but I think 9-7 with the only difference being a win at Detroit.

KCrockaholic
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
I could not give that much time to making up random stats of what I think is going to happen over the course of the entire season. I like some of the thoughts. But knowing there's a 5% chance that ANY of this is correct, it's not worth the time. JMO.

MoreLemonPledge
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
We will, at worst, split with the Chargers. They are a declining team (especially their defense) whose window is all but shut. I don't know why you're so high on them.

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 02:51 PM
We will, at worst, split with the Chargers. They are a declining team (especially their defense) whose window is all but shut. I don't know why you're so high on them.

#1 offense
#1 defense

Name me a single player on that team that will be worse in 2011 than they were in 2010.

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Direckshun's posts are 90 percent awesome stuff and 10 percent utter lunacy.

You're turning into a one-note horn.

Hammock Parties
07-08-2011, 02:52 PM
What highlight films will I create next offseason, Direckshun, oh seer of the future?

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 02:53 PM
I could not give that much time to making up random stats of what I think is going to happen over the course of the entire season. I like some of the thoughts. But knowing there's a 5% chance that ANY of this is correct, it's not worth the time. JMO.

You're welcome.

I've reread it a couple times and noticed that I completely botched the ground rushing totals.

Hammock Parties
07-08-2011, 02:53 PM
You're turning into a one-note horn.

Yeah, well, when I see someone say a 170-pound midget is going to gain 800 yards I gotta call that shit out. That's just not realistic.

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah, well, when I see someone say a 170-pound midget is going to gain 800 yards I gotta call that shit out. That's just not realistic.

You had called it out with the previous post.

Learn some new notes, is all I'm saying.

The Bad Guy
LOL at Waters getting cut. He's not getting cut in the last year of his contract when the team has to hit a salary floor.

Direckshun
What highlight films will I create next offseason, Direckshun, oh seer of the future?

Rain Man's.

It will be your worst highlight film ever, by the way.

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
LOL at Waters getting cut. He's not getting cut in the last year of his contract when the team has to hit a salary floor.

The team is bringing back Wiegmann, and you don't want to stash 2010's 3rd rounder and 2011's 2nd rounder under a bushel on the bench.

Something's got to give. Waters gets cut.

MoreLemonPledge
07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
#1 offense
#1 defense

Name me a single player on that team that will be worse in 2011 than they were in 2010.

And what was their record?

They will likely be without Eric Weddle, Darren Sproles and Malcom Floyd. There's also a possibility (though slim) that Vincent Jackson won't be there.

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 03:02 PM

They will likely be without Eric Weddle, Darren Sproles and Malcom Floyd. There's also a possibility (though slim) that Vincent Jackson won't be there.

What makes you think they'd be without Weddle?

Sproles and Floyd are not a loss for them. Sproles' tread is gone. Floyd is a talented receiver, but Philip Rivers doesn't need him to throw for 5,000 yards.

As soon as they figure out how to run the ball, they're Super Bowl bound.

keg in kc
07-08-2011, 03:02 PM
It's San Diego. They underachieve in style.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I love how every year is the year that SD takes a huge step back.

Or how every year, people get their panties in a bunch when someone predicts a loss to Denver or Oakland.

I swear, some of you act as if you've never seen an AFC West game in your lives.

keg in kc
07-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I love how every year is the year that SD takes a huge step back.What have the chargers actually done? One actual playoff run and a bunch of one-and-dones? It never really occurred to me before for whatever reason, but they're like the 90s chiefs' younger brother or something. Although they're doing it with more talent on paper. Like I said, they underachieve in style.

ChiefGator
07-08-2011, 03:09 PM
#1 offense
#1 defense

Defensive coordinator.

MoreLemonPledge
07-08-2011, 03:12 PM
What makes you think they'd be without Weddle?

Sproles and Floyd are not a loss for them. Sproles' tread is gone. Floyd is a talented receiver, but Philip Rivers doesn't need him to throw for 5,000 yards.

As soon as they figure out how to run the ball, they're Super Bowl bound.

The Chargers won't pay the premium for Weddle because they feel as if Bob Sanders is a capable enough backup. Weddle has stated that he's going to the highest bidder and will not consider a "Hometown discount" to stay with the Chargers.

True, Sproles isn't much of an RB (although you could have said the same about Matthews in his rookie season). However, Sproles is a very good returner and a decent third down back.

As for the passing game, luckily the Chiefs' strength lies more in defending the pass than the run.

Hammock Parties
07-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Wait, the Chargers are going to sign Bob Sanders?

That just has fail written all over it.

Buck
07-08-2011, 03:17 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Zeapz.jpg

MoreLemonPledge
Wait, the Chargers are going to sign Bob Sanders?

That just has fail written all over it.

They already did...

Direckshun
Defensive coordinator.

Ha. Good call.

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
The Chargers won't pay the premium for Weddle because they feel as if Bob Sanders is a capable enough backup. Weddle has stated that he's going to the highest bidder and will not consider a "Hometown discount" to stay with the Chargers.

I haven't caught that quote by Weddle. Do you have a link handy?

MoreLemonPledge
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Zeapz.jpg

Weddle's a stud. You'll miss his soft touch.

Regardless, that's not going to help them improve.

MoreLemonPledge
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I haven't caught that quote by Weddle. Do you have a link handy?

Chargers GM A.J. Smith said on Saturday that he hopes to re-sign free agent FS Eric Weddle, but insinuated he won't go out of his way to do so.
After Weddle suggested earlier this week that he would move on in a "heartbeat" if he didn't like what the Chargers offered him, Smith says the team will do the same. Although they have denied it, it sure looks like their recent signing of Bob Sanders has made the Chargers more willing to let Weddle walk this offseason.

Free agent S Eric Weddle suggested he won't take less money to re-sign with the Chargers.
"If I'm here, I'm here. If not, then I'm not," said Weddle. "I love being in San Diego, but ... I can leave in a heartbeat." Weddle's agent is "absolutely baffled" that the Chargers haven't approached Weddle about a new deal. Weddle, one of the Bolts' top defenders last year, is expected to command a five-six year deal at nearly $7 million per season.

http://rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4223/eric-weddle

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Weddle's a stud. You'll miss his soft touch.

Regardless, that's not going to help them improve.

Lol @ Weddle's a stud.

Weddle is the definition of mediocre.

Direckshun
07-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Chargers GM A.J. Smith said on Saturday that he hopes to re-sign free agent FS Eric Weddle, but insinuated he won't go out of his way to do so.
After Weddle suggested earlier this week that he would move on in a "heartbeat" if he didn't like what the Chargers offered him, Smith says the team will do the same. Although they have denied it, it sure looks like their recent signing of Bob Sanders has made the Chargers more willing to let Weddle walk this offseason.

Free agent S Eric Weddle suggested he won't take less money to re-sign with the Chargers.
"If I'm here, I'm here. If not, then I'm not," said Weddle. "I love being in San Diego, but ... I can leave in a heartbeat." Weddle's agent is "absolutely baffled" that the Chargers haven't approached Weddle about a new deal. Weddle, one of the Bolts' top defenders last year, is expected to command a five-six year deal at nearly $7 million per season.

http://rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4223/eric-weddle

hmmmmmmm..........

ForeverChiefs58
07-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Wow. I like it. You put a lot into that. Very time consuming to think of all that.

The chiefs usually seem to do well in center stage night games and you have us losing all three, even with two being at arrowhead. Could happen, but I think we can pull out at least one of those, prob chargers again on MNF.

FWIW I think D-mac will succeed this year as well.

OnTheWarpath15
What have the chargers actually done? One actual playoff run and a bunch of one-and-dones? It never really occurred to me before for whatever reason, but they're like the 90s chiefs' younger brother or something. Although they're doing it with more talent on paper. Like I said, they underachieve in style.

It's not about what they've done.

It's about the perception that because they've fallen apart in the playoffs (and lets face it, they've been more times in the past few years than we've been in nearly 20) they're a "W" in the regular season.

Same goes with Oakland.

Every year, people make these asinine predictions that we're going to sweep the Raiders. Christ, they swept the fucking division last year.

Hell, Denver's horrible, and even they took us behind the woodshed last year.

We're not the only team in the league trying to get better.

MoreLemonPledge
Lol @ Weddle's a stud.

Weddle is the definition of mediocre.

He's better than Kendrick Lewis, and he's getting paid this year.

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 03:27 PM
He's better than Kendrick Lewis, and he's getting paid this year.

He's better than a late round rookie that wasn't even projected to be a starter?

Yeah, that's really saying something.

The reason why the Chargers don't want to pay him what he's asking is because he's not as good as he thinks he is.

He's commonly a scapegoat in SD.

MoreLemonPledge
07-08-2011, 03:29 PM
He's better than a late round rookie that wasn't even projected to be a starter?

Yeah, that's really saying something.

The reason why the Chargers don't want to pay him what he's asking is because he's not as good as he thinks he is.

He's commonly a scapegoat in SD.

Just saying. His loss would hurt the Chargers, especially if they actually expect Bob Sanders to stay healthy enough to make any sort of impact.

ModSocks
07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Just saying. His loss would hurt the Chargers, especially if they actually expect Bob Sanders to stay healthy enough to make any sort of impact.

Probably would hurt them, but he's plenty replaceable.

And the Chargers will always be in it as long as they have Phillip Rivers. He is working his way up to Elite status. He's a top tier QB.

It will always be a race with the Chargers until he retires. Cold hard reality.

-King-
07-08-2011, 03:34 PM
It's not about what they've done.

It's about the perception that because they've fallen apart in the playoffs (and lets face it, they've been more times in the past few years than we've been in nearly 20) they're a "W" in the regular season.

Same goes with Oakland.

Every year, people make these asinine predictions that we're going to sweep the Raiders. Christ, they swept the fucking division last year.

Hell, Denver's horrible, and even they took us behind the woodshed last year.

We're not the only team in the league trying to get better.

ROFL

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Probably would hurt them, but he's plenty replaceable.

And the Chargers will always be in it as long as they have Phillip Rivers. He's <del>is working his way up to</del> Elite status. He's a top tier QB.

It will always be a race with the Chargers until he retires. Cold hard reality.

This.

There's one elite QB in this division, and they have him.

sedated
07-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I seriously doubt we get Hali to sign a $36 million deal with $10 million guaranteed. I've heard talk that he could want Jared Allen money, especially given that he is more flexible than Allen.

The Bad Guy
07-08-2011, 03:46 PM
The team is bringing back Wiegmann, and you don't want to stash 2010's 3rd rounder and 2011's 2nd rounder under a bushel on the bench.

Something's got to give. Waters gets cut.

Yeah, that's laughable.

They are going to cut Waters, with essentially a savings of zero, but bring back Casey?

The Bad Guy
07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I seriously doubt we get Hali to sign a $36 million deal with $10 million guaranteed. I've heard talk that he could want Jared Allen money, especially given that he is more flexible than Allen.

Hali is going to at least get around 50 million with about 20 guaranteed.

MoreLemonPledge
07-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Whatever Hali commands, Pioli will pay it.

The Bad Guy
07-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Whatever Hali commands, Pioli will pay it.

He's going to have no choice but to pay our free agents with the rumored salary floor.

This salary floor would be the best thing to happen for the Chiefs.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2011, 04:02 PM
He's going to have no choice but to pay our free agents with the rumored salary floor.

This salary floor would be the best thing to happen for the Chiefs.

Yep.

Projected salary cap at $150M means a salary floor of $135M

Our payroll last year was under $80M, IIRC.

So we'd have $55M+ to sign our own FA's and get fill other holes.

No excuses to get nothing but the scrubs we normally target in FA.

Time to bring in, you know, some actual talent.

Buck
07-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Yep.

I just looked it up, the Chargers, Broncos, and Chiefs were all in the bottom 8 salaries last year. Not really relevant to anything, but yeah.

I think a lot of scrubby players are going to start making a lot more money.

The Bad Guy
07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Yep.

I think this roster compared to 2 years ago is night and day in terms of talent.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2011, 04:17 PM
I think this roster compared to 2 years ago is night and day in terms of talent.

It is, but not really due to FA signings.

Other than Shaun Smith and 7-8 games of Thomas Jones, our FA's under Pioli have been mostly JAG's.

That has to change for this team to take the next step, IMO.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-08-2011, 04:19 PM
I am sick already of the "tough schedule" bullshit. 8-8 is not good enough at this point.

The Bad Guy
07-08-2011, 04:24 PM
On that point, no one knows, in July, how tough schedules are.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I am sick already of the "tough schedule" bullshit. 8-8 is not good enough at this point.

Agreed. It's been a built-in excuse since the day the schedule was released.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2011, 04:29 PM
On that point, no one knows, in July, how tough schedules are.

True.

On paper, the Chiefs SOS was 22nd in the league at .488 based on 2009 records.

Our SOS ended up being .414, good for easiest in the league.

KurtCobain
07-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I really don't see how we lose to the Chargers in that @SD game. They always suck that early in the year, and they find ways to lose to even halfway decent teams.

Superbowl bound? Pfff. Have you seen their coach? They should've been superbowl bound last year, but they lost their way out of an easy division title. TO SHITTY TEAMS.

Yeah, our schedule is getting alot harder this year. So is SDs.

Baby Lee
07-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Wow. I like it. You put a lot into that. Very time consuming to think of all that.

Like so many Ben Wa Balls.

Backwards Masking
07-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Wow that was alot. I like it. but I think 9-7 with the only difference being a win at Detroit.

I agree with both the 9-7 record and the win at Detroit. I would've switched a couple wins and losses from the original post, but not a lot. Pretty solid predictions.

Detroit is everybody's 2012 Suprise Cinderella team cause they won something like 3 out of their last 4. I'm not buying it. I had an ex coworker who picked Detroit to turn it around every year from 02-08. The law of averages was on his side but it never happened. A lot of people kept saying the same thing about the Raiders cause they had a few good things going for them. Look how that's turned out. With that said, I still think Detroit was better at the end of last year than they were at the beginning (obviously) and I still think they will improve. But they're in the same division as the Packers (Super Bowl winner) the Bears (NFC Championship appearance) and Vikings (lots of the same players who made the NFC Championship the year before). Detroit will be extrememly lucky to wind up over .500, no way they make the playoffs. But they're still a cute pick.

chiefzilla1501
07-08-2011, 05:03 PM
I agree with both the 9-7 record and the win at Detroit. I would've switched a couple wins and losses from the original post, but not a lot. Pretty solid predictions.

Detroit is everybody's 2012 Suprise Cinderella team cause they won something like 3 out of their last 4. I'm not buying it. I had an ex coworker who picked Detroit to turn it around every year from 02-08. The law of averages was on his side but it never happened. A lot of people kept saying the same thing about the Raiders cause they had a few good things going for them. Look how that's turned out. With that said, I still think Detroit was better at the end of last year than they were at the beginning (obviously) and I still think they will improve. But they're in the same division as the Packers (Super Bowl winner) the Bears (NFC Championship appearance) and Vikings (lots of the same players who made the NFC Championship the year before). Detroit will be extrememly lucky to wind up over .500, no way they make the playoffs. But they're still a cute pick.

Yup. Detroit will never be a Cinderella as long as the evil Gunther Cunningham is keeping the team from going to the ball.

philfree
07-08-2011, 05:09 PM
You did some work posting what you did but predicting injuries and such is just a little to much.

chiefzilla1501
07-08-2011, 05:26 PM
It is, but not really due to FA signings.

Other than Shaun Smith and 7-8 games of Thomas Jones, our FA's under Pioli have been mostly JAG's.

That has to change for this team to take the next step, IMO.

Free agency is overrated.

There are other things that will help the Chiefs make the next step. The amount Tyson Jackson improves. Berry, Arenas and especially Kendrick Lewis getting better. Moeaki getting better and hopefully Asamoah starting to see some significant time.

And I don't think it's farfetched to think that we'll get 2 draft picks to be upgrades at key positions. Between Baldwin, Houston, Hudson, Powe... might as well even add Studebaker, since he'll probably become a starter.

Free agents are icing on the cake. But there's plenty of improveable talent on the starting roster to make this team much better, unlike a lot of teams that are relying on peaked-out second or third contract players with no upside.

Granted, doesn't matter who improves or who we add in free agency if Cassel plays like a roller coaster yet another year.

Okie_Apparition
07-08-2011, 05:31 PM
The Chiefs are like a tapeworm on your brain, gnaw, gnaw gnaw

Ugly Duck
07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Week 7: @ Raiders

Hey - you get two weeks to prepare for Oakland? Shoot... now we gotta pick up Brian Waters when you cut him so we can get the inside info...

keg in kc
07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Free agency is overrated. I think people are still in the 90's mindset about free agency. Most free agents these days are just guys. Teams don't often let good players go. With the market the way it is (or was) now, you mostly get old players and injured players. And even with the injured players, teams don't always let them go, but instead work for trades. The odds of finding anybody really good is slim, it's more about filling holes with the best guy available, and not generally at premium positions.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2011, 06:17 PM
I think people are still in the 90's mindset about free agency. Most free agents these days are just guys. Teams don't often let good players go. With the market the way it is (or was) now, you mostly get old players and injured players. And even with the injured players, teams don't always let them go, but instead work for trades. The odds of finding anybody really good is slim, it's more about filling holes with the best guy available, and not generally at premium positions.

Disagree completely.

Every year there are guys out there that can help a team.

No one is advocating spending wildly. But there are (potentially) a lot of guys that can help this team and will be affordable considering the amount we're going to have to spend to reach the salary floor.

And this year, it appears the FA depth is going to be at positions we need: WR, OT, etc.

keg in kc
07-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Disagree completely.

Every year there are guys out there that can help a team.

No one is advocating spending wildly. But there are (potentially) a lot of guys that can help this team and will be affordable considering the amount we're going to have to spend to reach the salary floor.

And this year, it appears the FA depth is going to be at positions we need: WR, OT, etc.And I think they've been pretty consistent about bringing in guys that they believe can help them at positions they feel they need. They just don't happen to be the same guys that you think can help them.

That is to say I would probably throw most of the "guys that can help the team and be affordable" off of your list into the "just a guy" category.

It just happens that the JAGs they pick up are different from the JAGs you want them to pick up.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2011, 06:34 PM
And I think they've been pretty consistent about bringing in guys that they believe can help them at positions they feel they need. They just don't happen to be the same guys that you think can help them.

That is to say I would probably throw most of the "guys that can help the team and be affordable" off of your list into the "just a guy" category.

It just happens that the JAGs they pick up are different from the JAGs you want them to pick up.

And like I said earlier, other than Shaun Smith and 7 -8 games of Thomas Jones, they've whiffed on almost every other FA they've signed.

But that's bound to happen when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel because you're fucking cheap.

keg in kc
07-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Lilja, Wiegmann? I'd probably throw DJ into the mix with his in-season extension.

I'd say all the moves from 2009 were a waste, much like the draft, but the moves last year seemed to make a little more sense than Engram or Toomer or Lelie or Mike Brown or any of the LBs. I guess it was the monkey poop at the wall sort of quantity hoping to find quality approach.

I think they'll be fine if they reflect last year's approach when this year's free agency finally begins.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-08-2011, 06:50 PM
always believed that your core super star guys have to come through the draft, and Free agency should be role guys that help your team to get over the hump

Titty Meat
07-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Yep.

Franklin come on down!

MoreLemonPledge
07-09-2011, 01:48 PM
always believed that your core super star guys have to come through the draft, and Free agency should be role guys that help your team to get over the hump

It's the Patriot Way.

BoltWalt
08-23-2011, 12:30 AM

You are wrong, the Bolts shot themselves repeatedly last year with Special Teams. With Rich Bisaccia the new Special Teams Coach and a new emphasis on getting it right, the Bolts will bounce back and reclaim the division as theirs.

This is how I predict this season to go for the Bolts:

09/11 Vikings Win
09/18 @Patriots Loss
09/25 Chiefs Win
10/02 Miami Win
10/09 @Denver Win
BYE
10/23 @Jets Loss (Cross country travel and a 10am start time is too much for the Bolts.)
10/31 @Chiefs Win (Chiefs fail to surprise the Chargers this year on MNF.)
11/06 Packers Loss
11/10 Raiders Win
11/20 @Chicago Win (Cutler again cries as he loses to the Bolts.)
11/27 Denver Win
12/05 @Jaguars Win (This is not an early morning game, Chargers wide awake and win.)
12/11 Bills Win
12/18 Ravens Loss
12/24 @Lions Win
01/01 @Raiders Loss (Bolts having clinched the division, rest their stars and Raiders win.)

Chargers 11-5 win the Division and roll through the playoffs and bring the Lombardi Trophy home.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 12:38 AM
The people who watch the sports most seem to forget its "things don't turn out as they seem" nature the most.

8 wins best case scenario?

Yea. And 6 wins was our best case scenario last year.

Unconvinced.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Oh ok, so THIS year is the Bolts year.

I have read this book before...I will tell you how it ends.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Oh hai guyz! Teh chargers are 4 real this year I swear. This time im serius.

For realziez.

Hammock Parties
08-23-2011, 12:54 AM
The Chargers are going to suck schweaty balls this year.

You heard it here first.

Bump
08-23-2011, 01:00 AM
The Chargers are going to suck schweaty balls this year.

You heard it here first.

no, they won't unfortunately 5

Quesadilla Joe
08-23-2011, 01:20 AM
The Broncos had their worst record in nearly 30 years and you still didn't sweep them. You will not sweep Denver. Have you seen our passrush? You guys can run the ball all you want and you might get a couple first downs just by running twice but eventually you will have to pass and Matt Cassel and your OL cannot deal with VONDOOOOOOM.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 01:26 AM
The Broncos had their worst record in nearly 30 years and you still didn't sweep them.

Just like when the Chiefs only had 2 wins. And one of them was your shit team.

We are not that bottom feeder team anymore but I can't say the same for your organization.

NJChiefsFan
08-23-2011, 02:19 AM
You are wrong, the Bolts shot themselves repeatedly last year with Special Teams. With Rich Bisaccia the new Special Teams Coach and a new emphasis on getting it right, the Bolts will bounce back and reclaim the division as theirs.

Interesting how you claim that adding a good coach at Special Teams will help your team yet losing a good coach on Defense will have zero effect. If good coaches matter as much as you claim on special teams, the same needs to be said about defense. If you are saying the defensive talent will be fine without him, then the coach doesn't matter that much and hence the special teams won't change. Can't have it both ways.

The Broncos had their worst record in nearly 30 years and you still didn't sweep them. You will not sweep Denver. Have you seen our passrush? You guys can run the ball all you want and you might get a couple first downs just by running twice but eventually you will have to pass and Matt Cassel and your OL cannot deal with VONDOOOOOOM.

You can't, in any sport, predict outcomes between rivals. The Chiefs could be 0-15 and the Broncos 15-0, or the Chiefs 15-0 and Broncos 0-15, you still can't assume that the better team wins that 16th game. The Chiefs have swept the Broncos when the Broncos weren't horrible and vice versa, so you also can't say the Chiefs won't sweep. The Bronco ass-kicking actually changed the Chiefs for the better.

Reerun_KC
08-23-2011, 04:57 AM

:hmmm:

Simply Red
08-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Direckshun is 100% 2legit

Dante84
08-24-2011, 10:19 PM
The Broncos had their worst record in nearly 30 years and you still didn't sweep them. You will not sweep Denver. Have you seen our passrush?

Have YOU?

Dante84
08-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Direckshun is 100% 2legit

and, thus, he cannot quit.

Simply Red
08-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Have YOU?

LOL - I think even knowmo himself knows HE is full of hot turds. :)

Knowmo is harmless

Direckshun
08-24-2011, 10:28 PM
My crystal ball is broken.

Dante84
08-24-2011, 10:30 PM
LOL - I think even knowmo himself knows HE is full of hot turds. :)

Knowmo is harmless

I just meant...

... because he doesn't watch games...

Simply Red
08-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Sky's the limit direckshun, i'm going w/ a whole-wheat bagel, low fat chive cream cheese & a Diet Code Red.

Shit is real tonight, and I'm letting everyone know!

KChiefs1
08-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Week 1: vs. Bills W
Week 2: @Lions L
Week 3: @Chargers L
Week 4: vs. Vikings W
Week 5: @Colts W
Week 7: @ Raiders L
Week 8: vs. Chargers (MNF) L
Week 9: vs. Dolphins W
Week 10: vs. Broncos W
Week 11: @Patriots (MNF) L
Week 12: vs. Steelers (SNF) L
Week 13: @Bears W
Week 14: @Jets L
Week 15: vs. Packers L
Week 16: vs. Raiders (Christmas Eve) W
Week 17: @Broncos W

I just realized how important the week 2 game @Detroit & week 7 game @Oakland games are to the Chiefs this year. I don't expect SD to sweep the Chiefs this year but it could happen. I was calling for a 10-6 record but can easily see how people are coming up with an 8-8 record.

Simply Red
08-24-2011, 10:41 PM
yeah man, I'm not even sure there's a harder schedule out there. My god that's insane.

KChiefs1
08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Going into the week 11 game vs the Pats...the Chiefs need to be 7-2 to withstand this:

Week 11: @Patriots (MNF)
Week 12: vs. Steelers (SNF)
Week 13: @Bears
Week 14: @Jets
Week 15: vs. Packers

RealSNR
08-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Going into the week 11 game vs the Pats...the Chiefs need to be 7-2 to withstand this:Fuck surviving. We're going to win some of those games. 2-3 isn't unreasonable.

The Bears are a shittier team than people think. We can take them out. And the Steelers, let's say.

If we can't win some of those games in the regular season, then we can't win during the playoffs. And if we can't win in the playoffs then fuck this season.

NJChiefsFan
08-25-2011, 12:58 AM
**** surviving. We're going to win some of those games. 2-3 isn't unreasonable.

The Bears are a shittier team than people think. We can take them out. And the Steelers, let's say.

If we can't win some of those games in the regular season, then we can't win during the playoffs. And if we can't win in the playoffs then **** this season.

Well said. I think we have a good chance against CHI. We have 2 of those games in Arrowhead, one on Sunday Night against a PIT team that can be beat. Its not like the Jets are unbeatable, especially during the regular season. Last year they struggled against CLE and stole a game at home against HOU. If we go 0-5 against them, then we weren't going to beat them in January anyway, as you said.

Quesadilla Joe
08-25-2011, 01:14 AM
I know ya'll beat the Steelers a couple years ago but teams like the Steelers, Jets, and Ravens are the Chiefs kryptonite. The Chiefs aren't going to be able to beat anybody throwing the ball so the teams that can stop the run are going to give the Chiefs a whole bunch of trouble.

Hammock Parties
08-25-2011, 01:23 AM
The Chiefs aren't going to be able to beat anybody throwing the ball so the teams that can stop the run are going to give the Chiefs a whole bunch of trouble.

The Chiefs beat the 49ers, Chargers and Titans last year and they all had top 7 run defenses.

In fact they shat all over SF and TEN.

Quesadilla Joe
08-25-2011, 01:26 AM
The Chiefs beat the 49ers, Chargers and Titans last year and they all had top 7 run defenses.

In fact they shat all over SF and TEN.

The Chiefs are better than the 49ers and Titans. The Chargers lost because it was your first home MNF game in half a decade and they were missing McNeil and Vincent Jackson in that monsoon.

BigMeatballDave
08-25-2011, 02:08 AM
The Chiefs are better than the 49ers and Titans. The Chargers lost because it was your first home MNF game in half a decade and they were missing McNeil and Vincent Jackson in that monsoon.LMAO monsoon. The Chargers had a chance to tie late and we stopped them.

Chiefs=Champions
08-25-2011, 02:51 AM
Guys leave knowmo alone. He brings solid football knowledge to the board. I agree with him when he says the broncos are going to the superbowl.

They have an amazing rushing game now, and their pass rush will be nearly unstoppable! Tebow is just waiting for his chance to shine.

They arnt old in the secondary theyre wiley veterans. Teams will not be able to run on them either. Von and DOOM are underrated run stoppers.

Also while our main play makers like Bowe, Charles and Hali were all flukes last year, their own in Lloyd and____ are really building for the future.

Just wait till we play them this year. Haley will spit the dummy so hard itll go right through Fox's cranium, post game!

Direckshun
12-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Doesn't get more wrong than this. LMAO

Hell of an entertaining read, though. I may have to do this every year.

Hydrae
12-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Doesn't get more wrong than this. LMAO

Hell of an entertaining read, though. I may have to do this every year.

You couldn't have predicted the injuries though. Without the major losses to personnel this year we might have gotten 9-10 wins.