PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jon Baldwin Interview

shitgoose
07-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Not much but at least it's Chiefs football related....

Excited to see what this kid can do.

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/07/kansas-city-chiefs-wr-jon-baldwin-is.html

When the Kansas City Chiefs selected Jon Baldwin with the 26th pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, many-a jaw hit the floor. After a season where the wide receiver's numbers were down at Pitt, Baldwin was predicted to fall somewhere in the middle of the second round.

There was something about Baldwin's 6'4" frame that made Kansas City swoop in and grab the Pitt Panther earlier than expected.

Just because Baldwin might have been considered a stretch by draft critics, does not mean he cannot can make immediate contributions to a growing Chiefs organization.

"I can't really control what other people think about me, all I can do is keep my faith and just work as hard as I can," Baldwin said, when I interviewed him last week.

Baldwin was a beast in the Big East, during his three-year tenure at Pitt. His size and physicality enabled him to overpower smaller defensive backs when playing "jump ball" on vertical routes. His 4.49-40-yard-dash at the NFL Combine showed he has speed to go with that big frame to get past quicker opponents.

During his three years as a Panther, Baldwin hauled in 128 receptions for 2,337 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Baldwin expects that his time at Pitt can help pay off at the next level.

"The biggest thing that translates and will help a lot is coming from a pro offense," said Baldwin. "Learning the playbook is kind of easy because in the pro-style a lot of the terminology is the same."

Baldwin is hoping that his translation into the league will be as smooth as his new teammate Dwayne Bowe's was when he entered the league four years ago.

"Dwayne was a very successful player coming into this league," Baldwin commented, of his teammate. "I'm going to try to get some advice to see some of the things he did when he was an up-and-coming player his rookie year."

Much like Bowe, Baldwin will have his chance to shine in Coach Todd Haley's fire-powered offense. Haley showed in Arizona that he loved to air it out to Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. Now Bowe and Baldwin can be the dynamic duo that Haley and Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel need to be an offensive powerhouse in the league.

At Pitt, Baldwin was known as a "go-up-and-get-it" vertical threat. To be successful at the next level, he is willing to do anything.

"If that means going across the middle, running slants, running posts, running go routes, blocking; I'll do it," Baldwin said. "I'm going to do whatever they ask of me, I don't care. I'll do whatever the team needs."

"I'm just going to try to contribute the most I can, and hopefully that will mean the Kansas City Chiefs winning ball games."

Winning games and having a monster rookie season will help those critics forget the Chiefs reached a bit to grab him.

"The Kansas City Chiefs organization drafted me to help them the best way I can," Baldwin concluded. "I'm just going to work hard like I always do. All I can do is bust my tail."

SAUTO
07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Lets get this shit on...
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6
07-11-2011, 05:53 PM
FOOTBALL NEWS!11 *squirt*

KCrockaholic
07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
We may have gotten the steal of the draft. His "character concerns" is what dropped him down the board. But I've seen absolutely nothing that tells me he is going to be an issue. So far he's been a terrific teammate, and a down to earth person. The character issue was BS.

And most of all he WANTS to be successful in this league, and he wants to learn.

PunkinDrublic
07-11-2011, 05:58 PM
There's a man who knows his sports cliches. Crash would be proud.

Crush
07-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Let's fucking do this already. JFC, get the deal done.

bevischief
07-11-2011, 06:00 PM
We may have gotten the steal of the draft. His "character concerns" is what dropped him down the board. But I've seen absolutely nothing that tells me he is going to be an issue. So far he's been a terrific teammate, and a down to earth person. The character issue was BS.

And most of all he WANTS to be successful in this league, and he wants to learn.

Hope he is not the only one.

KurtCobain
07-11-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm going to sleep until this lockout is over, somebody wake me.

ModSocks
07-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Reach? REACH? He was the BPA that filled a position of need.

Gadzooks
07-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Reached a bit? Well at least he's somewhat coherent, (or was that due to editing). He’s very tall and fast for his height. He could be the next Brandon Marshall or the next Charles Rogers (DET '03). Either way, congrats on the pick.:D

Direckshun
07-11-2011, 06:33 PM
The idea that we reached for him is hysterical.

Skyy God
07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
The idea that we reached for him is hysterical.

Indeed. Walter had him going in the top 30, and Gosselin had him as the 3rd WR.

yhf
07-11-2011, 06:55 PM
If the kid pans out our offense could be freaky good, like better than making sweet love to that blond haired girl two classes ahead of me good.

BossChief
07-11-2011, 07:16 PM
I would have been fine if we moved up a few slots to take him. Being able to slide back a couple and picking up Justin Houston with the profit made this a homerun of a draft.

He is the guy I had targeted as our first rounder and I'm thrilled with yet another draft.

Rooster
07-12-2011, 12:42 PM
There's a man who knows his sports cliches. Crash would be proud.

:) I was thinking the same thing.

Sofa King
07-12-2011, 12:50 PM
FOOTBALL NEWS!11 *squirt*

LMAO

perfectly typed.

Chief Roundup
07-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Baldwin was predicted to fall somewhere in the middle of the second round.

Winning games and having a monster rookie season will help those critics forget the Chiefs reached a bit to grab him.

Huh middle of the second round. Don't know these people know what they are talking about or not.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
"How do you feel about the screen and it's variants"?

TRR
07-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Better well done than well said.

I'm as excited about Baldwin as the next poster is, but watching him on film he really was a one trick pony in college. Run a fly and toss it deep. You don't see a lot of him after the catch which he will be asked to do a lot in this offense. He needs to learn how to be more physical after the catch use his size to his advantage when the ball is in his hands. I'm sure that can be taught...
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-12-2011, 05:30 PM
He's not even signed yet. Probably won't be ready until week 12.

I kid!

The Franchise
07-12-2011, 05:32 PM

I'm as excited about Baldwin as the next poster is, but watching him on film he really was a one trick pony in college. Run a fly and toss it deep. You don't see a lot of him after the catch which he will be asked to do a lot in this offense. He needs to learn how to be more physical after the catch use his size to his advantage when the ball is in his hands. I'm sure that can be taught...
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly what "film" were you watching?

Blick
07-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all with his size, leaping ability, and ball skills...and not to mention Cassel's downfield accuracy.

We're going to be very tough to defend with Baldwin, Bowe, and Moeaki all able to exploit single coverage. And, if defenses want to commit 2 safeties to help over the top, hello draw play to Charles. I'm really excited about the offense.

I think with Baldwin's natural athleticism, running after the catch won't be a problem.

TRR
07-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Exactly what "film" were you watching?

I have all of his jr season on tape. Every Pitt game. I haven't watched much of his soph season however which was his best season.

I understand its not NFL caliber "film" and also realize I'm not a pro scout...So you can save it if that's the direction your going. JMHO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blick
07-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Baldwin came out as a Junior...

TRR
07-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Baldwin came out as a Junior...

Correct. Fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Where did you get that "film"?

Not arguing that you actually have it, just that there are a few of those games I'd like to watch that I haven't been able to.