PDA

View Full Version : Life I am moving to the New York - Finger Lakes area

joesomebody
07-14-2011, 06:46 PM
So I got the job... ( see more here http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=246658 )

My new Job will be in Nichols, New York

Need to find a place close by.... awesome bars, low crime, good hunting, hiking, and fishing

any info you guys want to bestow upon me is welcome.

I got some antifreeze already

Dream job for me pretty much. I'm going from a little over 11 dollars an hour to firmly in the middle class. Reading over my relocation package and I'm just insanely happy.

One more East Coast planeteer to the group.

rageeumr
07-14-2011, 07:08 PM
I've got a vacation planned there

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/fltimes.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/9/27/293/92729380-82f5-11e0-8b6d-001cc4c03286-revisions/4dd68835cc5ce.image.jpg

kysirsoze
07-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Congrats!

joesomebody
07-14-2011, 07:11 PM
I've got a vacation planned there

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/fltimes.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/9/27/293/92729380-82f5-11e0-8b6d-001cc4c03286-revisions/4dd68835cc5ce.image.jpgLook me up. No clue what my living situation will be yet, but hopefully I'll know fairly soon.

rageeumr
07-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Look me up. No clue what my living situation will be yet, but hopefully I'll know fairly soon.

I don't really. "The Office" reference.

joesomebody
07-14-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't really. "The Office" reference.Ahh. I like "The Office" but I only catch it occasionally.

cdcox
07-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Great hiking in the Catskill mountains. Watkins Glen (the Glen not the race track) is fantastic. Winters are rough, to say the least. You might need a jacket in July if you are near the lakes.

Cntrygal
07-14-2011, 07:17 PM
I grew up in the Finger Lakes region. It's beautiful there!!!

joesomebody
07-14-2011, 07:20 PM
I grew up in the Finger Lakes region. It's beautiful there!!!

I was out there Monday and Tuesday. My hotel overlooked the Sasquehanah(SP) river. Really an amazing area. Is there skiing in the region?

SLAG
07-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Congrats Joe!

Yes - Interviewed the same day... Got the offer the same day!

Its scary and exciting

Simply Red
07-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Central Valley IN DA'HOUSE SAY WHOAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blaise
07-15-2011, 04:36 AM
I grew up further west, near Rochester. The only thing I know about that area down there is there's some sketchy parts of Elmira you might want to stay away from. Everything else is nice sort of small town sort of places.

Earthling
07-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Good luck! :clap: Don't be surprised to see a significant rise in overall cost of living prices there.

gblowfish
07-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Start drinking Genny Creme Ale!

blaise
07-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Start drinking Genny Creme Ale!

Oh wow. That's something I never thought I'd hear about here.

My friends tell me Yuengling has become the beer of choice in a lot of Upstate NY.

Dave Lane
07-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Well Finger Lakes Instrumentation is there, home of $30,000 and up telescope cameras. I'd like to visit them. Not even sure where it is.

gblowfish
07-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Oh wow. That's something I never thought I'd hear about here.

My friends tell me Yuengling has become the beer of choice in a lot of Upstate NY.

Yuengling touts itself as "America's Oldest Brewery." It's original location is in Pottsville, PA, although they also have a brewery in Tampa, FL. They make a bunch of different beers. I had a basic lager many years ago, would like to try some of their other beers.

http://www.yuengling.com

Genesee Beer has been around for a long time too. They make a basic lager, also Genny Creme Ale (one of my favorite summer beers) and the make an Ice Beer and a Bock Beer.

http://www.geneseebeer.com/

blaise
07-15-2011, 09:20 AM
They used to make a 12 Horse Ale, which was supposed to be like a higher end beer. You get Cream Ale in MO? I'll sometimes see it at a beer store in other parts of the country. I must have drank 1,000 Genny beers in high school.

gblowfish
07-15-2011, 09:21 AM
They used to make a 12 Horse Ale, which was supposed to be like a higher end beer. You get Cream Ale in MO? I'll sometimes see it at a beer store in other parts of the country. I must have drank 1,000 Genny beers in high school.

I've been able to get Genny Creme Ale at Price Chopper and Hy-Vee in Independence in a six pack of bottles.

I had a friend of mine who lived in Rochester for awhile. He said that Genesee lovers are called "Creamers" and the act of killing a case of Genny Creme Ale in one night is called "Geneside," because of the crushing, two day hangover.

I've never gotten faced on Genny, so I don't know about that. I do know, that like many "yard beers" you have to keep it ice ice cold to make it go down. If it gets warm it's not drinkable.

Rain Man
07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
I've never been there, but it's a place that I've always thought would be nice to live. I even interviewed for a job in that area when I was back in college, but fortunately I didn't get it. (The job sounded boring.)

joesomebody
07-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Good luck! :clap: Don't be surprised to see a significant rise in overall cost of living prices there.
I checked into it, and other than cigarettes everything seems on par with Columbia MO.

Here is just one site that had info on it. It looks to be a bout a 1 or 2% increase in cost of living over Columbia, MO where I live now.

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/ny/nichols

joesomebody
07-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Congrats Joe!

Yes - Interviewed the same day... Got the offer the same day!

Its scary and exciting

That's awesome. Lot's of luck man, I hope it's exactly what you wanted. I think my job is.

gblowfish
07-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Get a snow blower. You're gonna need it!

blaise
07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
You'll only be about a 2 hour drive from Cooperstown.

JD10367
07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Looking at Bing Maps... Nichols NY isn't really "finger lakes". That's right on the PA border. They're not out of the range for traveling, but you're probably a good 90 minutes away from them (as well as Syracuse and Rochester, both of which have a few redeeming features).

I lived in Syracuse for three years ('97 through '99). Central NY is a beautiful area. Fairly poor in terms of economy, arts, etc.,., but it's pretty and it's fairly clean and the traffic's not bad. I was just getting used to living in Syracuse when I moved.

I liked Skaneateles, not too far from Syracuse.

joesomebody
07-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Looking at Bing Maps... Nichols NY isn't really "finger lakes". That's right on the PA border. They're not out of the range for traveling, but you're probably a good 90 minutes away from them (as well as Syracuse and Rochester, both of which have a few redeeming features).

I lived in Syracuse for three years ('97 through '99). Central NY is a beautiful area. Fairly poor in terms of economy, arts, etc.,., but it's pretty and it's fairly clean and the traffic's not bad. I was just getting used to living in Syracuse when I moved.

I liked Skaneateles, not too far from Syracuse.
You are correct. I was trying to think of the nearest landmark/area people may have heard of. I am completely unfamiliar with the area. Thanks for your insight.

The area seemed really amazing, but yes the economy doesn't look to be at it's best right now in that region. I'm hoping that means cheaper living for me.

Earthling
07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
I checked into it, and other than cigarettes everything seems on par with Columbia MO.

Here is just one site that had info on it. It looks to be a bout a 1 or 2% increase in cost of living over Columbia, MO where I live now.

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/ny/nichols

Thats good news!

RippedmyFlesh
07-15-2011, 11:41 AM
You are correct. I was trying to think of the nearest landmark/area people may have heard of. I am completely unfamiliar with the area. Thanks for your insight.

The area seemed really amazing, but yes the economy doesn't look to be at it's best right now in that region. I'm hoping that means cheaper living for me.

That area is considered the "Southern tier".
If you hunt and or fish you have just moved to heaven.