PDA

View Full Version : News KC named 37th worst dressed city in america by GQ

PunkinDrublic
07-15-2011, 08:48 AM
How does a city that fathered its own style of jazz back in the 1930s dress with such little manly swagger? Yeah, you're a laidback town, part of that real America, and sure, eating sauce-covered burnt ends and pork ribs can be messy. But let's grow up. Throw out the old grimy-white Jayhawks ball cap—or the beat-up black Mizzou one—and buy some clothes that aren't so big that they make you look like a little boy waiting to grow into them. It's summer, so golf shirts and polos are great, but let's keep the sleeves above the elbows, the tail at the waist. It shouldn't hit your knees. And the khakis? Please, no puffy pleats, no sewn cuffs. Hey, we get it: Going out for a pitcher and beef-on-bun doesn't require a jazzy suit, but no matter how you swing it, oversized and billowy ain't cool.—Christopher Swetala

Read More http://www.gq.com/style/fashion/201107/worst-dressed-cities-america#ixzz1SBYMdbym

seclark
07-15-2011, 08:50 AM
kc hasn't been the same since simply red left.
sec

blaise
07-15-2011, 08:51 AM
People in one city dress the same as another.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-15-2011, 08:51 AM
GQ has nothing better to do. Literally.

loochy
07-15-2011, 08:55 AM
That article is retarded. They've pretty much listed the entire country on their list.

SoCal - Check
Northeast - Check
Texas - Check
Southeast - Check
Florida - Check
Midwest - Check
Rocky Mountains - Check
Southwest - Check
Alaska - Check

PunkinDrublic
07-15-2011, 08:56 AM
The description of Dallas was spot on. Doesn't matter that everyone else is laughing at them, the same roided up dickbags wear the same affliction and ed hardy shirts out every weekend. I wish they'd napalm Addison and uptown.

Dayze
07-15-2011, 08:56 AM
he's right...I need to go out and by an $80 pair of raggedy looking jeans, and 4 or 5 shirts that I can wear at the same time. Add in a pair of $300 sunglasses and I'm set.

I'll probably knock this out this weekend.

KCrockaholic
07-15-2011, 08:57 AM
....I didn't know this mattered. I mean if everyone dressed to impress GQ, they wouldn't have anything to talk about. Personally I don't care what I'm wearing as long as it's not wrinkly and I can wear something reppin' my Chiefs.

BigCatDaddy
07-15-2011, 08:58 AM
The man makes the clothes......

Of course middle America has a lot of lard asses so maybe that's the problem :shrug:

Brock
07-15-2011, 08:59 AM
People do dress like slobs nowadays. Myself included most of the time.

Ripped jeans don't look good, people, I don't care if they did cost you 250 dollars.

eazyb81
07-15-2011, 09:00 AM
The description of Dallas was spot on. Doesn't matter that everyone else is laughing at them, the same roided up dickbags wear the same affliction and ed hardy shirts out every weekend. I wish they'd napalm Addison and uptown.

That's also the entire East Coast.

gblowfish
07-15-2011, 09:00 AM
I always make sure the gravy stains on my shirt and pants match.

BigMeatballDave
07-15-2011, 09:02 AM
I thought all twenty-something guys dressed like that. They do in Ohio.

Mr_Tomahawk
07-15-2011, 09:02 AM
....BBQ FTW!

KurtCobain
07-15-2011, 09:09 AM
I wear a half teenage black guy, half old white guy kind of mix of clothing and it's just great.

Simply Red
07-15-2011, 09:10 AM
lol.

I'm going to update my thread, It NEEDS updated, desperately.

I have some new threads. I do a lot of extra things to clothes, that are simple and help really put a personal exclamation point on the overall appearance. Next rainy day - expect a full/all-out myriad of new ideas and pictures.

eazyb81
07-15-2011, 09:11 AM
I wear a half teenage black guy, half old white guy kind of mix of clothing and it's just great.

Weird, it sounds terrible.

KurtCobain
07-15-2011, 09:26 AM
I read this whole article just now, and I feel dumber than usual.

seclark
07-15-2011, 09:27 AM
lol.

I'm going to update my thread, It NEEDS updated, desperately.

I have some new threads. I do a lot of extra things to clothes, that are simple and help really put a personal exclamation point on the overall appearance. Next rainy day - expect a full/all-out myriad of new ideas and pictures.

i ripped the sleeves off a john deere t-shirt for the 4th of july. thought i'd have to beat the chicks away w/a club.
sec

Simply Red
07-15-2011, 09:31 AM
i ripped the sleeves off a john deere t-shirt for the 4th of july. thought i'd have to beat the chicks away w/a club.
sec

HOT!

Okie_Apparition
07-15-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm going to be better than you, even if I have to eat a breadbowl full of dicks

Pants
07-15-2011, 11:34 AM
I let Express decide what I wear. That's pretty much where 80% of the stuff I wear comes from. I love their military style shirts, mmhmmm.

loochy
07-15-2011, 11:34 AM
I let Express decide what I wear. That's pretty much where 80% of the stuff I wear comes from. I love their military style shirts, mmhmmm.

If you just buy what's on the mannequin you can't go wrong!

Ugly Duck
07-15-2011, 01:27 PM
http://www.americasbestmyspacecomments.com/graphics/redneck/5/pics_redneck-granny-shorts.jpg

Pants
07-15-2011, 01:31 PM
If you just buy what's on the mannequin you can't go wrong!

>< Not sure if making fun of me....

blaise
07-15-2011, 01:41 PM
My wife was at a friend's last night. The lady has a closet the size of a living room, and it's two floors. I didn't see it, but my wife did. She said it had little stairs that went up to a little catwalk that went around the second level.

NewChief
07-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Stupid article because it includes places that are simultaneously best dressed cities. Yes, there are people who dress like douchebags in LA, Austin, Brooklyn, Seattle, or Portland. Of course, those same cities spawn a ton of the trends that eventually filter down and become fashionable.

keg in kc
07-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I do my best for KC, in my t-shirt, shorts and occasionally sweats.

Valiant
07-15-2011, 03:43 PM
The man makes the clothes......

Of course middle America has a lot of lard asses so maybe that's the problem :shrug:

Whole country is fat.

rockymtnchief
07-15-2011, 05:57 PM
They should do what event is the worst dressed. I'm at Livingston Summerfest looking at a guy in a muscle shirt, crocs, black socks, smoking a pipe. Also seen...60+ year old dude in muscle shirt...with no muscles and a waist bigger than me. L

On the other hand, seen some women dressed nice with killer bodies...and fugly faces.

I feel young and sexy here with my t-shirt, boots, gold buckle, and fu-manchu :D

rockymtnchief
07-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Token granola chick in pipe fitters hat, HEAVY wool sweater and sandals leaving her scent on the dance floor in 90 degree weather. (Dancing alone)

The next band rocks. Might see some mullets!

stevieray
07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
:shrug: they didn't come to my house....

sorry.

Hammock Parties
07-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah, we don't suck cock, we suck BBQ.

rocknrolla
07-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Its not so much the fashion, expect for the Ed Hardy and Affliction bullshit. Just wear your clothes to fit you. And take a little pride in your self. That goes a long way.

ClevelandBronco
07-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Seattle, San Diego, Austin, Metro Denver (Boulder). There's not a single place that I'd ever consider living that isn't on that list.

Discuss Thrower
07-15-2011, 07:12 PM
The mention about expat St Louisans wearing billed beanies is spot on. There was many a time I mocked one of my roommates for wearing one constantly.

07-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Who gives a crap what GQ thinks?

CHENZ A!
07-15-2011, 11:04 PM

LMAO This is a pretty accurate description of my style too.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-15-2011, 11:15 PM
I wear jeans and t-shirts every day. Sometimes khakis and a polo. If that's not in style I couldn't give less of a shit. GQ thinking I'm unstylish won't keep me up at night. The people at GQ couldn't get a job with People mag.

On another note... I know what Ed Hardy shirts are... don't have any... but what is affliction?

Happy to show my fashion ignorance GQ.

MahiMike
07-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Man, if this aint stylin', I don't know what is!

Simply Red
07-15-2011, 11:23 PM
I wear jeans and t-shirts every day. Sometimes khakis and a polo. If that's not in style I couldn't give less of a shit. GQ thinking I'm unstylish won't keep me up at night. The people at GQ couldn't get a job with People mag.

On another note... I know what Ed Hardy shirts are... don't have any... but what is affliction?

Happy to show my fashion ignorance GQ.

It's critical to stay conservative w/ Graphic-tees. The ones that are worn by most are way too busy. I focus on mostly solid with little if any lettering/graphics and buy at least 40%//60% -if not 50%//50% tee's.

Simply Red
07-15-2011, 11:25 PM
polyester//cotton ratios - FYI

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-15-2011, 11:28 PM
polyester//cotton ratios - FYI

I'm wearing a graphic t right now. My best friend... a girl... suggested it to me. It's orange with black design.... not too busy. She helps me because without her I'd wear blue jeans and gray tshirts every day and she thinks it matters. Since she has better taste than me I go with it.

Simply Red
07-15-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm wearing a graphic t right now. My best friend... a girl... suggested it to me. It's orange with black design.... not too busy. She helps me because without her I'd wear blue jeans and gray tshirts every day and she thinks it matters. Since she has better taste than me I go with it.

I have a thread that's in deperate need of updating. I'll get on the updates here in the next couple of weeks. I think i can give people some good ideas.

nohomo

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-15-2011, 11:33 PM
I have a thread that's in deperate need of updating. I'll get on the updates here in the next couple of weeks. I think i can give people some good ideas.

nohomo

I've seen your fashion threads and thought probably homo.... but I'll believe you... lol

:D

No offense.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-15-2011, 11:35 PM
And you still didn't tell me what Affliction is... a brand I'm sure.... but what style

nstygma
07-15-2011, 11:39 PM

nohomo
please do. years ago some girl pointed out that all of my polo shirts had some form of stripes, and i hadn't really noticed that, i just purchased what i liked. now i'm self-conscious about striped polos. should i leave her an upper-decker?

Simply Red
07-15-2011, 11:40 PM
I've seen your fashion threads and thought probably homo.... but I'll believe you... lol

:D

No offense.

naw, I don't dress gay looking, and there is that, out there.

I have an odd style, but it's my own. Jennifer my sister and all of my cousins were incredibly stylish, growing up. I always felt a 'must keep up' with them, feeling. I eventually understood it well, over the yrs. I even got better than them at it. I love clothes and styles and all of it. It's just me. But I generally do believe some of my ideas are good and original and that some may welcome them.

nstygma
07-15-2011, 11:41 PM
And you still didn't tell me what Affliction is... a brand I'm sure.... but what style
feast your eyes
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1_____enUS409US409&q=affliction+shirt&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1920&bih=949

Simply Red
07-15-2011, 11:43 PM

yeah it ties in w/ UFC somehow, I THINK. They're just downright tacky, it's a cryin' shame too, the material is awesome and they're cut pretty well.

Simply Red
07-15-2011, 11:46 PM
please do. years ago some girl pointed out that all of my polo shirts had some form of stripes, and i hadn't really noticed that, i just purchased what i liked. now i'm self-conscious about striped polos. should i leave her an upper-decker?

If you do stripes, just focus on original look. Common is just that. You may have to visit some other spots. Burlington Coat Factory has ALWAYS carried incredibly unique brands. I can't recommend it enough. It's probably a tad higher than Marshalls or TJ's.

You all should try one for nice, DIFFERENT clothes at a fair price.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-15-2011, 11:47 PM
feast your eyes
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1_____enUS409US409&q=affliction+shirt&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1920&bih=949

A few of them are ok. Most too busy for me. I don't like brands that have to state the brand so big.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-15-2011, 11:50 PM
I'll be the first to admit I can use some fashion advice. Having my two best friends be girls helps some but I still won't wear it if it looks stupid to me. I could live with tennis shoes, blue jeans and a plain t for the rest of my life on my own.

Simply Red
07-15-2011, 11:54 PM
I'll be the first to admit I can use some fashion advice. Having my two best friends be girls helps some but I still won't wear it if it looks stupid to me. I could live with tennis shoes, blue jeans and a plain t for the rest of my life on my own.

I will have everything updated w/in a month - been really busy, but I promise w/in a month. This time I'll take it serious, and give it it's due.

I will, too; provide you all w/ some actual photos, I'll pull threads from my closet and actually photo them, I will also provide actual suggestions & such.

I'm going to bed, btw noonan, I like you whoever you are, mostly because you don't take 12 minutes to reply to a post. Yeah, yeah, I know, 'life' happens - but it's cool you usually reply quickly.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-15-2011, 11:57 PM
I will have everything updated w/in a month - been really busy, but I promise w/in a month. This time I'll take it serious, and give it it's due.

I will, too; provide you all w/ some actual photos, I'll pull threads from my closet and actually photo them, I will also provide actual suggestions & such.

I'm going to bed, btw noonan, I like you whoever you are, mostly because you don't take 12 minutes to reply to a post. Yeah, yeah, I know, 'life' happens - but it's cool you usually reply quickly.

I was beer me/Dr. Johnny Fever before if you missed that. 'Night.

Simply Red
07-16-2011, 12:00 AM
I was beer me/Dr. Johnny Fever before if you missed that. 'Night.

well dang, SUPBUDDY?!:D:( I had no idea.. velcome back - awesome chatin' - pussy me out-i'm crashing ;)

Simply Red
07-16-2011, 12:01 AM
That Avatar reminds me of 1982ish. LOVE IT from a sentimental standpt.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-16-2011, 12:03 AM
well dang, SUPBUDDY?!:D:( I had no idea.. velcome back - awesome chatin' - pussy me out-i'm crashing ;)

Heh yeah... couldnt sign on as the old me so I just started over.

Param
07-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Considering some of the things people post here and what they buy... I'm surprise it isn't lower.

Earthling
07-16-2011, 03:09 AM
When I start wearing dress shirts I know its time to do laundry.

Demonpenz
07-16-2011, 03:30 AM
if it didn't come Royals T-shirt tuesday, I don't wear it