PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs MSWU preparing for Chiefs camp

Hammock Parties
07-18-2011, 07:29 AM
http://stjoechannel.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=212287

While the 2011 NFL season isn't certain at this time, many in the country are hopeful.

Many in st. Joseph are even taking action.

At Missouri Western State University, they're beginning to prepare for the Kansas City Chiefs training camp.

Right now, the chiefs are planning on coming.

"As of now, they're fully intending to be here, and be here on time, and we are working with that scenario that we need to be ready to open at scheduled time," says Dan Nicoson, Vice-President for University Advancement and Interim Athletic Director.

Western is taking many steps to prepare.

They're preparing the fields, painting goal posts, setting up bleachers, preparing a new parking plan, and even readying the dorms for for the Chiefs to stay during their visit.

Nicoson says if the training camp does happen, the impact will be enormous.

"Well I think there's two kinds of impacts on our community. One is the economic and last year we estimated that at about 1.2 million dollars. The other is community pride," he says.

Many businesses in the area are preparing as well.

Jock's Nitch Locker Room, at the East Hills Mall, is counting on the training camp to take place.

They're ordering more Chiefs merchandise all the time.

"I think we're going to get people all around the state of Missouri, says Billy Jones, Manager at Jock's Nitch. "The training camp is huge. It's fun, it's cheap, and it's a good place to take the family when it's not too hot."

Other businesses aren't so certain however, those at Buffalo Wild Wings say some materials are still available from last year, but they aren't taking action until they know the camp is happening.

"That's all we need. Once they say they're ready to go, then we'll be ready to go. It won't take long for us to get fired up. We're into the sports," says Kirk Keling, General Manager at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Nicoson says parking will cost five dollars at this year's camp.

boogblaster
07-18-2011, 07:43 AM
suit em up ....

keg in kc
07-18-2011, 07:45 AM
it's a good place to take the family when it's not too hot."Yeah. Good luck with that one.

cmh6476
07-18-2011, 07:49 AM
umm, what are they gonna do? Just wait until they hear something to move and then scramble in 2 or 3 days to get ready? Their hand is forced.

tomahawk kid
07-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Yeah. Good luck with that one.

I just hope they learned from last year and take steps to create some shade around the field itself (more tents etc).

Also - moving the concessions closer to the practice fields would pay huge dividends as well.

I'll be heading up there for a couple of days. I'm anxious to see if they've adjusted.

LiveSteam
07-18-2011, 10:19 AM
LOCK OUT MY ASS!
HIKE THE FUCKING BALL ALREADY!

SuperChief
07-18-2011, 10:45 AM
LOCK OUT MY ASS!
HIKE THE ****ING BALL ALREADY!

I wake up every morning screaming this. My fiance is none too amused.

Okie_Apparition
07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
For two weeks leading up to training camp. You can kill all the misquitoes you want. This year slingshots & .22 rifles are legal

tomahawk kid
07-18-2011, 11:22 AM
For two weeks leading up to training camp. You can kill all the misquitoes you want. This year slingshots & .22 rifles are legal

Indeed. It was a swamp around there last year.

That didn't help with the heat none too much.....

Hammock Parties
07-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Last year, the university charged $10 to park close-in to Chiefs training camp. A lot of fans didn't like that, so this year the school is talking about cutting that in half to $5, but eliminating all of the free parking. The university also says it will move concessions stands closer to the practice fields this year to make the camp more fan-friendly.

Hahaha. What jackals.

07-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Hahaha. What jackals.

Oh fans are going to love that.

Nzoner
07-20-2011, 09:34 AM
1.2 million dollars my ass,last year they actually closed the main road leading back to the business district after the night practice and shuffled everyone towards the interstate.

Plus they had one interstate sign noting that TC was the next right when it should have read next 3 exits and then fans would've had the opportunity to see some local businesses.The way they had it out-of-town fans passed a quikmart with a McDonalds.

Hopefully they did learn from last year because all of the businesses I talked to(and I'm in the ad business) saw little to no economic impact.

Demonpenz
07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
They just need to move it to KC.

Nzoner
07-20-2011, 09:59 AM
They just need to move it to KC.

You know I really don't care anymore,my business was actually kicked out of camp on the first day last year after sharing a $500 booth space with an advertiser of mine.I can't go into details but it was serious BS and just confirmed to me how political this whole thing is.

Deberg_1990
07-20-2011, 10:32 AM
You know I really don't care anymore,my business was actually kicked out of camp on the first day last year after sharing a $500 booth space with an advertiser of mine.I can't go into details but it was serious BS and just confirmed to me how political this whole thing is.

heh, i remember how excited you were when they first announced they were moving to St Joe.

Nzoner
07-20-2011, 10:53 AM
heh, i remember how excited you were when they first announced they were moving to St Joe.

Oh I'm glad to have them here personally but the bs that goes on behind the scenes in regards to business is a joke.

tomahawk kid
07-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Oh I'm glad to have them here personally but the bs that goes on behind the scenes in regards to business is a joke.

Y'know - I drove up to St Joe last year for 4 days of camp, and every day I missed River Falls.

Part of the appeal of RF (other than the weather) was the simplicity of the set-up, the ease of getting a beer or soda (and TAKING said beer to watch practice) and eating at the local dives and establishments.

You're correct in that the way we drove in last year gave us road side access to a Wendy's and a McDonald's. I would have loved to patronize some local businesses (my wife and I make a point of doing so), but had NO idea where to go.

tomahawk kid
07-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Hahaha. What jackals.

The $5 parking won't last - especially with the ecomony still in the shitter.

Where did you pull the info from?

Nzoner
07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
I would have loved to patronize some local businesses (my wife and I make a point of doing so), but had NO idea where to go.

You come this year give me a head's up and I'll meet you and take you to a local place or two.

tomahawk kid
07-21-2011, 07:12 AM
You come this year give me a head's up and I'll meet you and take you to a local place or two.

We're going to try and make it up this year, but its going to be a little tougher due to a family deal.

Any advice on dives in general? Better places to eat than others?

Nzoner
07-21-2011, 07:32 AM
We're going to try and make it up this year, but its going to be a little tougher due to a family deal.

Any advice on dives in general? Better places to eat than others?

For drinking and food I enjoy

Uncle D's Sports Bar and Grill ($11 towers of beer)

The Ground Round ($1.99 Blue Margaritas during Royals games)

54th Street Grill and Bar (With a one time $20 gold card purchase every Sunday and Monday is buy 1 get 1 no matter what you're drinking)

Now if you just want to get your drink on....

The Brown Bear
The Missourian
Wiley's Lounge
The Rearview
Ben Magoon's

tomahawk kid
07-21-2011, 08:01 AM
For drinking and food I enjoy

Uncle D's Sports Bar and Grill ($11 towers of beer)

The Ground Round ($1.99 Blue Margaritas during Royals games)

54th Street Grill and Bar (With a one time $20 gold card purchase every Sunday and Monday is buy 1 get 1 no matter what you're drinking)

Now if you just want to get your drink on....

The Brown Bear
The Missourian
Wiley's Lounge
The Rearview
Ben Magoon's

Thanks man.