PDA

View Full Version : Life Which Is The Best Logo?

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Hello everyone,

I come to you humbly to ask your opinion. As you'll recall, I approached you a while back asking about potential names for a company. Talisman suggested "Sandbox Simulations", which stuck.

We are now designing a logo for the company, and I was wondering if you could offer your opinions up about the 12 finalists we have.

Here's the description of the company:

Overview

Sandbox Simulations is a new venture that will provide high-quality simulations to a variety of clients. Our clients will include:

Leisure – Strategic simulation games just for fun. (These are not shoot ‘em up games, but rather are strategy-based, deliberate, thoughtful games that generally will involve groups of players or head-to-head interaction.)

Education – Providing curriculum-based educational games targeted toward student learning and interaction.

Business – Providing simulations and scenario analyses to assist in business decision-making.

Simulations are essentially user-friendly models that allow the user to make decisions about some topic (running a business, fighting a war, running a sports team, investing in research, etc.) and observe the outcomes of those decisions. The software takes into account all of the complex variables and random luck that could affect the outcome, but does so without entangling the user in figuring out those variables. Simulations can be used for entertainment (most video games are simulation) or for serious endeavors.

The Sandbox Simulations name arose by the recognition that a sandbox is essentially a laboratory for simulation. One can build castles or sculptures or other creations from simple materials, then tear them down and start over again to build an entirely different creation. Our work will be similar in that we start with the basic elements of math and statistics and psychology and other fields, and construct an alternate reality simulation in a safe environment for experimentation.

Target audience

In descending order of priority:

Leisure game players who are not the usual teenage "shoot 'em up" game players, but rather thoughtful people (mostly adults) who like comparing wits with other thoughtful people.

Parents (particularly mothers) of home schooled children who want fun educational tools for their children as well as the opportunity for their child to interact with other home schooled children.

Businesses that need to examine complex scenarios and determine their best strategies.

Logo Requirements

Logo identity must appeal to all three target audiences, while expressing the core company product attributes and characteristics. Those characteristics are:

- High-quality development of simulations that take complex situations and processes, and present them in a simple and friendly manner.

- Intellectually stimulating products

- Products that accurately model the real world

See Posts 2 and 3 for the rest of the logos, por favor.

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Next Four Logos

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Final Set of Three Logos

listopencil
07-22-2011, 02:34 AM
A navy blue circle with a rich yellow stylized "L" that extends slightly beyond the circle and resembles a check mark. Animated, the logo starts off with a high speed counterclockwise rotation that gradually slows to a stop. As it stops, "Sandbox" appears over and "Simulation" appears under the circle, also in rich yellow.

listopencil
07-22-2011, 02:36 AM
If you'd like, that can fade as a lightly detailed silhouette of a sandbox blows up and fades in from behind the logo.

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 02:37 AM
A navy blue circle with a rich yellow stylized "L" that extends slightly beyond the circle and resembles a check mark. Animated, the logo starts off with a high speed counterclockwise rotation that gradually slows to a stop. As it stops, "Sandbox" appears over and "Simulation" appears under the circle, also in rich yellow.

Can you mock that up for me? Thanks in advance.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2011, 02:37 AM
I like #2 the best. I don't like any of the logos with black backgrounds.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2011, 02:38 AM
#5 isn't bad but the woodgrain background is out of place

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 02:39 AM
#5 isn't bad but the woodgrain background is out of place

Yeah, I tend to agree. They did a nice job on it, but I thought it was kind of 70s with the paneling.

listopencil
07-22-2011, 02:41 AM
Can you mock that up for me? Thanks in advance.

Nope.

listopencil
07-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Either that or a hot chick in an Ocotoberfest costume smoking a cigar, holding a (unlit) stick of dynamite in her left hand and making a peace sign with her right hand.

listopencil
07-22-2011, 02:46 AM
One of these girls might work.

http://208.90.155.93/2009/09/29/beered-up-oktoberfest-babes-2009-28.web.jpg

listopencil
07-22-2011, 02:48 AM
I'm also fond of a rollerskating monkey, either silhouette or low detail sepia print.

|Zach|
07-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Number 2 in the first post.

And it isn't even close. IMO.

All the best with your new venture.

KurtCobain
07-22-2011, 03:06 AM
You should probably use an arrowhead in the logo. Subliminal messaging ftw.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2011, 03:09 AM
Number 2 in the first post.

And it isn't even close. IMO.

None of the other logos are shiny.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ue79l3.jpg

|Zach|
07-22-2011, 03:11 AM
None of the other logos are shiny.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ue79l3.jpg

None of them stand out as well independently of the weird backgrounds and accents around them.

#2 can look good as the simple box and be distinctive, as the Sandbox lettering, or grouped together well. I like having that flexibility logo wise.

listopencil
07-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Maybe one of those pictures of a flying shark but have the shark where a utility belt. And a cowboy could be riding the shark.

KurtCobain
07-22-2011, 03:18 AM
A dirty kid in a sandbox with a lightbulb over his head.

AustinChief
07-22-2011, 03:20 AM
It's logo 11.. it's the only one that looks professional AND has the look and feel of an actual sandbox.

And I'd like to point out, anyone who disagrees is a moron. Just saying.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2011, 03:21 AM
It's logo 11.. it's the only one that looks professional AND has the look and feel of an actual sandbox.

It's not shiny.

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 03:29 AM

whether it's no. 11 or not, this brings up a key criterion. i'm not asking which is prettiest or most nifty. the logo needs to communicate the story of the company, as told in the opening post.
Posted via Mobile Device

Abba-Dabba
07-22-2011, 05:16 AM
Logo #1

Best logo that makes the brand stand out IMO. The word Sandbox is clearly seen above anything else in it, and the focus of the logo is directly on it. Not to sure about the raised area being tan around the gold S. With the background being tan as well. Would like to see that raised area more of a light silver color instead to make it pop out a bit more, as long as it wouldn't take away from the gold S. The text is about as simple as you could get, not too much going on with it to make it look imposing. But still clearly conveys the brand name very well. Not futuristic or a "Corvette Fever" feel to it.

KurtCobain
07-22-2011, 05:20 AM
I went with the badass sand castle. I figure a company with that kind of imagination must be killer.

ChiefGator
07-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Below is my opinion on all of them. Logos 1, 4, 7, and 8 have promise.

--------

First logo - not bad. Different at least. I like the background color

Second logo - a little bland with the white background

Third logo - kill it. not good.

Fourth logo - alot going on, but I like it.

Fifth logo - wood background looks like 70s. The 'S' in the box feels too literal

--

Sixth logo - no, don't like the O... just looks "pixelly"

Seventh logo - Interesting, but too restricted. Feels like I should be playing golf on your logo.

Eighth logo - I like the font and the text color. The 'S' coming out of the box feels better than it did on the fifth logo.

Ninth logo - No. Kill it. Unless you are a recycling company, stay away from the leaf.

--

Tenth logo - Redo of the 7th (sorta). Still don't like it

Eleventh logo - No. Too much involvement with the text. Better when you have text and a semi-seperate logo I think since they can work on their own

Twelfth logo - No. Too DND-ish and pegs your audience too much.

Fishpicker
07-22-2011, 05:41 AM
#7 & #12 look good. 12 got my vote, its the most unique. I feel like I've seen 1-11 before.

keg in kc
07-22-2011, 06:25 AM
None of them really turn me on, but I'd probably choose 10, 11 or 12. I really, really don't like any of the first 9. I think, ultimately, I'd pick 11 over 12. It's a little more subtle.

Pablo
07-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Number 2 does it for me.

kc rush
07-22-2011, 07:25 AM
You might run into issues with NatGeo with the last one, especially since they play in the education space. The yellow box looks too much like theirs.

I personally like 6 & 9 since they incorporate sand into the image and have somewhat of a classic feel. A lot of the others seem too trendy to me and will be outdated soon.

Predarat
07-22-2011, 07:28 AM
I like #10 because it looks like something you might try to build in a real sandbox, and it combines that with technology.

LiveSteam
07-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Top right or bottom left. Really like the top right one the best

Dayze
07-22-2011, 07:45 AM
I liked #11, the rising Sandbox thingy.

patteeu
07-22-2011, 08:30 AM
I like #2 and #7 the best.

OmahaChief
07-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Loved number 5. I found it to be the most professional looking and one that made the company look mature. I think that feeds into your target of the more mature gamers as well as the parents and companies.

Pants
07-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Number 11 is the best by far. I mean, it's not even close.

boogblaster
07-22-2011, 08:40 AM
dont use a sandy-v ....

Frazod
07-22-2011, 08:42 AM
I like 7 the best. Can't really put my finger on why.

ChiefsCountry
07-22-2011, 08:49 AM
I like #1 the best. From a marketing prespective its the best by far. The font is simple but classic and will stand through the years as the company grows. I'm not a big fan of the background on though. I like to use logos that can be used on various color backgrounds if needed.

Brock
07-22-2011, 08:52 AM
They all seem stock to me.

Brock
07-22-2011, 08:52 AM
I like #1 the best. From a marketing prespective its the best by far. The font is simple but classic and will stand through the years as the company grows. I'm not a big fan of the background on though. I like to use logos that can be used on various color backgrounds if needed.

Yes, if I had to pick one, it would that one.

Lumpy
07-22-2011, 09:09 AM
I like #12. It's a simple 2-colors design w/ gradient screens. However, I think the sand castle is a bit of an overkill. If you were to drop that, but keep the other design elements it would draw more attention to the company name.

Maybe something like this...

AndChiefs
07-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I like #12. It's a simple 2-colors design w/ gradient screens. However, I think the sand castle is a bit of an overkill. If you were to drop that, but keep the other design elements it would draw more attention to the company name.

Maybe something like this...

When I saw #12 I immediately thought National Geographic.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2StSj6zw9tET_XZFTV6nA1fXRe2sBaFNGViKPxLpymcMP8wWJ

-King-
07-22-2011, 09:23 AM
1, 2, and 4 are the only ones I would consider.

trndobrd
07-22-2011, 09:58 AM
With the 'Sandbox' name, and knowing how much you like cats, I think you are missing an opportunity to come up with something really creative.

ChiefGator
07-22-2011, 10:04 AM
With the 'Sandbox' name, and knowing how much you like cats, I think you are missing an opportunity to come up with something really creative.

Oh, now that seems like a turd of an idea... you know.. just a little too crappy for this business.

Valiant
07-22-2011, 10:04 AM
I would use both the first and last one shown on my phone.

ChiefGator
07-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Rainman, should have done this as a multiple select poll... Not sure if you can get it modified now, but that would probably work better.

Frazod
07-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I got confused because you had 1 and 2 bunched together. My vote for 7 should have been for 8. :doh!:

Groves
07-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Logo 1 gets my vote, unless you'd really prefer Box to be capitalized. I don't like logo 1 if the B gets capitalized.

I like the concept of the S in the hexagon for logo 1, but I'd love for it to somehow be sand instead of metallic.

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input so far, everybody. This is going to be a tough decision.

Pants
07-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the input so far, everybody. This is going to be a tough decision.

Deep down inside you know that #11 makes the most sense, is the most imaginative, the most captivating and the one that took the most vision to create.

#2 sucks, it makes no sense. It's an S in a box.... and the font is complete garbage.

#1 is classy, clean and to the point and is the safest pick but it's not as good as #11.

You know this, Rain Man.

;)

vailpass
07-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Got anything with a dick in a box? That's an eye-grabber.

Baby Lee
07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Final Set of Three Logos

I like the idea of the castle, but it should look more like a sand creation, like mostly pail shaped with the lugs cutout around the parapet.

teedubya
07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Definitely #2 or #11.

Buck
07-22-2011, 12:55 PM
As somebody who worked in the graphic design / printing industry for a while, If I had to recommend any of these to a client, it would be #11. It's the only one, in my opinion, that stands out and would be easily recognizable against any other logo for any other company, which is important.

4th and Long
07-22-2011, 01:09 PM
The very last one.

AustinChief
07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
whether it's no. 11 or not, this brings up a key criterion. i'm not asking which is prettiest or most nifty. the logo needs to communicate the story of the company, as told in the opening post.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is exactly why it's #11... the whole point of calling the company Sandbox simulations is to evoke images of building things in a sandbox. #11 is the only logo that supports that concept.

Most of the rest just look like logos.

I mean seriously, who thinks a sandbox is a CUBE?

Rain Man
07-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Prior to this thread, we were leaning toward either #2 or #7. However, after listening to the discussion we have changed course and are going with #11. We always thought it had nailed the concept well, and our only concern was whether it was fancy/artistic enough. Apparently it was.

We also liked the flexibility of this design, wherein we can slightly alter it to portray the names of future products. Most of the other designs didn't offer that.

TimeForWasp
07-25-2011, 04:15 AM
I imagined this . with a guy just reaching down and writing sandbox simulation in the sand.

or start with a space view of earth , like google earth and then have it go from space view right down to your location with a similar pic with either the guy writing it in the sand or it already written. Just an idea.

KChiefs1
07-25-2011, 10:27 AM
7 is the best.

Rain Man
07-25-2011, 10:35 AM
I imagined this . with a guy just reaching down and writing sandbox simulation in the sand.

or start with a space view of earth , like google earth and then have it go from space view right down to your location with a similar pic with either the guy writing it in the sand or it already written. Just an idea.

That'd be cool.

Rain Man
07-25-2011, 10:35 AM
One of these girls might work.

Can you give me a mockup? I have a real weakness for those German outfits.

Rain Man
07-25-2011, 10:36 AM
7 is the best.

Honestly, that was my thinking as well, but it apparently didn't test as well as some of the others.

AndChiefs
07-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Honestly, that was my thinking as well, but it apparently didn't test as well as some of the others.

For what it's worth (which is probably very little). I also agree that number 7 is the best.

Bob Dole
07-25-2011, 10:49 AM
This is exactly why it's #11... the whole point of calling the company Sandbox simulations is to evoke images of building things in a sandbox. #11 is the only logo that supports that concept.

Most of the rest just look like logos.

I mean seriously, who thinks a sandbox is a CUBE?

No shit. Who the hell doesn't realize that most sandboxes are right-angled parallelepipeds?

Pants
07-25-2011, 10:52 AM
#7 looks like it was made by some random dude who just downloaded a pirated copy of MilkShape. The idea is nice, but the graphic and the colors are atrocious, IMO.

AustinChief
07-25-2011, 03:16 PM
No shit. Who the hell doesn't realize that most sandboxes are right-angled parallelepipeds?

EXACTLY! I mean come on!

Rain Man
07-25-2011, 05:20 PM
EXACTLY! I mean come on!

Maybe we should also include a collapsed board on one side with sand falling out, since that's how I remember them growing up.

AustinChief
07-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Maybe we should also include a collapsed board on one side with sand falling out, since that's how I remember them growing up.

And a couple weeds that manged to take root...

|Zach|
07-25-2011, 05:25 PM
I guess I just have a different school of thought with a logo. I don't really believe the embodiment and mission of a company being in its logo. I think that is rarely conveyed. I think a unique and simple representation that can be effectively displayed across many usages is the best choice.

Logo for website...envelopes...letterhead...shirts. Something clean. Distinct. Simple.

Like I said just IMO but when you see logos of big effective companies they are simply not that intricate for a reason.