PDA

View Full Version : Life Rebecca Black is wrong. Fridays are not fun, fun, fun, fun.

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 06:58 PM
I went out to lunch today and when I came back to the office I was told that my house was flooding.

It turns out that a small plastic nut at the bottom of one of our toilets broke, and it released the inbound water line, which then enjoyed its newfound freedom by pumping untold amounts of water. The smoke detectors went off, my tenant and neighbor called the fire department, and they came and helped turn off the water and get some water out before I could get home, but we still had a pleasant indoor rain. Now I'm getting a new dining room ceiling and part of a new living room ceiling and probably a new ceiling in the basement, and I'm sitting around with the power out hoping I'm not going to be getting new electrical and new hardwood floors.

The odd thing is that in the past three months...

...we had the flood in our office that I mentioned in a thread a while back.
...the floor above us in the office had some sort of flood
...a valve on our washer broke, flooding our basement and part of our basement apartment
...one of our employees had a major flood in her apartment when a water line or something broke
...and now we have this damage.

I think this is a 2012 thing. I think we should all start building arks.

Jewish Rabbi
07-22-2011, 07:00 PM
I'd bet anything it was that asshole who breaks into your house.

Okie_Apparition
07-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Drought Man

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 07:02 PM
I'd bet anything it was that asshole who breaks into your house.

(Pointing emphatically.) That's what I think!

Buck
07-22-2011, 07:05 PM
If only Captain Hindsight was here to tell us why!

bevischief
07-22-2011, 07:07 PM
It is the cat.

Buehler445
07-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Sucks Rainman. You should sacrifice some employee on account of it.

Predarat
07-22-2011, 07:11 PM
If everyone would stop sinning and stop fapping to pron, things would get better.

kysirsoze
07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
I woke up a couple weeks ago to my building manager and my roommate pulling crap out of our hall closet. Apparently a water pipe had broken and started leaking at least 2 days earlier. It soaked everything in the closet and turned the place into a hot house for mold. Everything in it was ruined and they still haven't finished re-building the closet.

big nasty kcnut
07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Rebecca black is a lying whore bitch. Also racist. Sorry rain man may you get things fixed.

Simply Red
07-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Who in the fuck is Rebecca Black, anyway...?

Simply Red
07-22-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm sorry bud, about the leak. I'm here for you Rainman.

4th and Long
07-22-2011, 07:46 PM
1: Your screen name of "Rain Man" now seems more appropriate than ever.

2: You could also change your screen name to,

(a) Noah, or,

(b) Kevin Almighty.

Reaper16
07-22-2011, 07:58 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LTUTKkxw94A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

trndobrd
07-22-2011, 08:31 PM
The water set your smoke detectors off?

rageeumr
07-22-2011, 09:04 PM
The silver lining is that you don't have to be bothered with any ethical questions about who will pay for the repairs.

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Okay, life gave me lemons, and I'm going to go steal some lemonade from someone's house. We're going to use this as the impetus for the next major house project. Build a wall here, build a closet there...the Winchester House has nothing on us.

I just wish the water would stop dripping out of the ceiling.

Simply Red
07-22-2011, 09:23 PM

I could see how that'd be annoying. BTW - Is your Company still doing well? We've been going for fourteen mos. now, I'm proud and no longer shitting bricks nervous. :)

4th and Long
07-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Okay, life gave me lemons, and I'm going to go steal some lemonade from someone's house. We're going to use this as the impetus for the next major house project. Build a wall here, build a closet there...the Winchester House has nothing on us.

2 Jewish guys, in different part of the USA, retire, and by chance, end up sitting next to each other on a beach in Florida. The conversation went something like this.

Jewish Guy #1: I used to own a hardware store.

Jewish Guy #2: Hey! So did I.

Jewish Guy #1: Wow. Amazing.

Jewish Guy #2: I know. What are the odds?

Jewish Guy #1. My store was destroyed by a huge fire. I could have rebulit but I decided to take the money and retire.

Jewish Guy #2: I had similar thing happen. My store flooded. I too could have rebuilt but I decided to retire as well.

Jewish Guy #1 (staring intently at Jewish Guy #2): I have a question.

Jewish Guy #2: What's that?

Jewish Guy #1: (still staring intently at Jewish Guy #2) How did you make it flood?

DaFace
07-22-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure if you were there, but a bunch of us were sitting around talking about the other person's apartment flood a while back. She had mentioned that it was the "hose" coming off of the toilet that had broken off, and I commented "Damn...that's one of those weird things that you never think of happening. I makes me want to go and inspect all of them in my house."

You can bet I did it tonight.

Delano
07-22-2011, 09:30 PM
I've never heard of that piece breaking before. Terribly bad luck. On the other hand, I always find it endearing when old folks like Kevin use 'young' culture references.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
07-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Here's a different version of "Friday" that may be more appropriate for the thread:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ko3fsvJT_MA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
07-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I've never heard of that piece breaking before. Terribly bad luck. On the other hand, I always find it endearing when old folks like Kevin use 'young' culture references.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's weird - it's always like 'no delano' 'no delano' 'no delano' 'no delano' 'no delano' ... and then 'poof' - you appear. almost out of nowhere...

I've missed you dearly.

Delano
07-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I did replace a toilet in one of my bathrooms recently, and the toilet-end connector of the inlet hose had an interesting feature. The nut somehow audibly snapped whenever the proper tightness was applied.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I could see how that'd be annoying. BTW - Is your Company still doing well? We've been going for fourteen mos. now, I'm proud and no longer shitting bricks nervous. :)

Congrats! We're doing fine at the company, so all is well. Other than the water dripping out of my ceiling.

Delano
07-22-2011, 09:43 PM
It's weird - it's always like 'no delano' 'no delano' 'no delano' 'no delano' 'no delano' ... and then 'poof' - you appear. almost out of nowhere...

I've missed you dearly.

It's a beautiful struggle baby.
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
07-22-2011, 09:43 PM
It turns out that a small plastic nut at the bottom of one of our toilets broke,

WTF did engineers start using plastic for critical parts. I hope Mr. McGuire burns in hell for that.

Delano
07-22-2011, 09:45 PM
By the way, I don't really think Rain Man is an old folkster; I am just being disigerent.
Posted via Mobile Device

07-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Yes. Today completely sucks. going on 3 hours of sleep since 3pm Thursday and have to make it to 6:30am Saturday morning. Frustrated that I never got an interview for an internal opportunity to move up the ladder and we are going to be short staffed on weekends again in two weeks. And I have a nasty shoulder problem that I can't seem to get rid of with pain relievers.

having a hard time feeling positive right now.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job but working nights is killing me.

Simply Red
07-22-2011, 09:48 PM
It's a beautiful struggle baby.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://i55.tinypic.com/e19pmx.jpg

4th and Long
07-22-2011, 09:49 PM
By the way, I don't really think Rain Man is an old folkster; I am just being disigerent.
Posted via Mobile Device
No, ... he's old. :p

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure if you were there, but a bunch of us were sitting around talking about the other person's apartment flood a while back. She had mentioned that it was the "hose" coming off of the toilet that had broken off, and I commented "Damn...that's one of those weird things that you never think of happening. I makes me want to go and inspect all of them in my house."

You can bet I did it tonight.

That's really bizarre.

I know nothing about water infrastructure, but the fact that I live two blocks from her and we both had the same bizarre thing happen makes me wonder. Is it possible to have water pressure surges or something that could cause these things to break? Ours had been in place for a dozen years and it's a non-moving part. Plastic or not, I have no idea how a nut breaks in a situation like that.

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 09:53 PM
WTF did engineers start using plastic for critical parts. I hope Mr. McGuire burns in hell for that.

That's what kills me. The plumber said "If it was brass it wouldn't have broken, but they don't even make them out of brass any more." So that sets my mind to thinking, toilet manufacturers compete on price, so they replace a $1 brass nut with a 10 cent plastic nut to cut their costs by half a percent, and it ends up costing me probably $5,000 to $10,000 in damage. And I can't even put a brass part in next time. Something's really messed up about that.

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 09:54 PM
No, ... he's old. :p

Even when I was young I was old. I was born old.

cdcox
07-22-2011, 09:55 PM
That's really bizarre.

I know nothing about water infrastructure, but the fact that I live two blocks from her and we both had the same bizarre thing happen makes me wonder. Is it possible to have water pressure surges or something that could cause these things to break? Ours had been in place for a dozen years and it's a non-moving part. Plastic or not, I have no idea how a nut breaks in a situation like that.

Do your pipes ever knock from water hammer? That can generate tremendous pressures. Even if you are not under a water hammer condition just the ordinary on and off of faucets can generate transient pressure in the pipes that can fatigue materials over many cycles.

kysirsoze
07-22-2011, 09:55 PM
That's what kills me. The plumber said "If it was brass it wouldn't have broken, but they don't even make them out of brass any more." So that sets my mind to thinking, toilet manufacturers compete on price, so they replace a $1 brass nut with a 10 cent plastic nut to cut their costs by half a percent, and it ends up costing me probably $5,000 to $10,000 in damage. And I can't even put a brass part in next time. Something's really messed up about that.

Wow. Now THAT sucks.

4th and Long
07-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Even when I was young I was old. I was born old.
Benjamin Buttons?

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Do your pipes ever knock from water hammer? That can generate tremendous pressures. Even if you are not under a water hammer condition just the ordinary on and off of faucets can generate transient pressure in the pipes that can fatigue materials over many cycles.

No, we never have knocking water pipes. The plumber said that if we have really high water pressure that it could have caused a fatigue failure, but I don't think ours is unnaturally high. It's good, but in the normal range I would think. Plus, it seems like that would've happened faster than 12 years after installation. Perhaps not, but it seems odd. The nut more or less was shearing off at the bottom.

I'm really puzzling over this, especially since the same thing happened to our employee who lives two blocks away. These are parts that really shouldn't be seeing a lot of variable forces on them.

CoMoChief
07-22-2011, 10:09 PM
That little swamp donkey came out with a new song. And it's just as fucking terrible as the first.

Delano
07-22-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm really puzzling over this, especially since the same thing happened to our employee who lives two blocks away. These are parts that really shouldn't be seeing a lot of variable forces on them.

I think it's obvious. Your old business nemesis is after you and your employees. Be careful DaFace! Check your toilet hose after every flush!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-22-2011, 10:40 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q1ZV4Mx7tw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beach tribe
07-22-2011, 11:24 PM

There's a Deep Purple joke to be made by someone more clever than me.

4th and Long
07-22-2011, 11:26 PM
There's a Deep Purple joke to be made by someone more clever than me.
Only if he had mentioned a fire in the sky on the Lake Geneva shoreline. :D

Rain Man
07-22-2011, 11:30 PM

It turns out that the contractor accidentally installed surf detectors instead of smoke detectors.

Iowanian
07-23-2011, 08:47 AM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lIPan-rEQJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
07-23-2011, 08:52 AM
"Brother bRainman want's to know When it's going to rain"

"Brother bRainman, you ask..when's it gonna rain....and I say whens it gonna stop?!}
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrV_klti0kXKvbA7fhOpR3pyDlKeVSDavZ14vuzG1MHeEsB36Y

Rain Man
07-23-2011, 11:27 AM
So the first emergency mitigation team showed up, and they wanted us to sign an "authorization to work" that had no pricing, no cap on costs, no hourly rates, and no discussion of what would be done. The kid in charge was about 21 years old and either didn't speak English well or was not confident enough to talk. We told him that we needed more information, and he told us that they were going to start pulling off the woodwork and removing drywall. We asked about cost and he didn't know. We asked about ballpark costs and he didn't know. So we told him to have a manager call us, and they sat on our front porch for an hour waiting for the manager and then left.

So we called another place, and they showed up and gave us hourly rates and set up fans and dehumidifiers and started testing, and told us that they didn't want to touch the walls and the woodwork until they knew what could be dried without damage and what couldn't.

It's amazing how much difference in professionalism there can be in two firms that do the same thing.

bevischief
07-23-2011, 12:15 PM
What about mold?

Rain Man
07-23-2011, 12:23 PM
What about mold?

As long as we get it dried out, it shouldn't be a problem. Our climate is dry enough that mold really doesn't grow well. I think the main problem is just drying it out so that it doesn't weaken anything structural, and then replacing the stuff that warped.

Our beautiful 105 year-old hardwood floor is cupping up on the second floor now, which is a bummer. The mitigation person said that if it's not too bad they'll often flatten back out on their own, which seems odd to me but she does this for a living so I'll trust her.

stlchiefs
07-23-2011, 12:26 PM
As long as we get it dried out, it shouldn't be a problem. Our climate is dry enough that mold really doesn't grow well. I think the main problem is just drying it out so that it doesn't weaken anything structural, and then replacing the stuff that warped.

Our beautiful 105 year-old hardwood floor is cupping up on the second floor now, which is a bummer. The mitigation person said that if it's not too bad they'll often flatten back out on their own, which seems odd to me but she does this for a living so I'll trust her.

I hope you've learned your lesson. When this is all over I trust you'll be removing all toilets from the house.

Rain Man
07-23-2011, 12:34 PM
I hope you've learned your lesson. When this is all over I trust you'll be removing all toilets from the house.

I don't know what we were thinking. It was a stupid idea in the first place. From here on out it's the back yard.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-23-2011, 03:39 PM
So the first emergency mitigation team showed up, and they wanted us to sign an "authorization to work" that had no pricing, no cap on costs, no hourly rates, and no discussion of what would be done. The kid in charge was about 21 years old and either didn't speak English well or was not confident enough to talk. We told him that we needed more information, and he told us that they were going to start pulling off the woodwork and removing drywall. We asked about cost and he didn't know. We asked about ballpark costs and he didn't know. So we told him to have a manager call us, and they sat on our front porch for an hour waiting for the manager and then left.

So we called another place, and they showed up and gave us hourly rates and set up fans and dehumidifiers and started testing, and told us that they didn't want to touch the walls and the woodwork until they knew what could be dried without damage and what couldn't.

It's amazing how much difference in professionalism there can be in two firms that do the same thing.

Please tell me you did not call Servpro.

Rain Man
07-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Please tell me you did not call Servpro.

Uh-oh. Why?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Uh-oh. Why?

Becauxcause The Snanake Shall Devcouor The Love Of The CAalling ingDeaath Stasaaar...

Die or....

Die.

Cunt.

TinyEvel
07-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Sorry Rainy, that sucks. The same thing happened to us while on vacation when i was a kid. our neighbors had a key to our house and went in and turned the water off once they saw water coming out from under our front door and running down the driveway.

All our living room furniture was in the garage and the wall-to-wall carpeting was rolled up and in the driveway. We had to wait like two months for insurance to settle the claim. In that meantime I stepped on those carpet tack strips about three times a week. It's a pain like no other, I say.

I hope your stuff gets sorted out.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Becauxcause The Snanake Shall Devcouor The Love Of The CAalling ingDeaath Stasaaar...

Die or....

Die.

Cunt.

Was I fucked up last night or what? Exhibit A. Jeez...

Delano
07-24-2011, 08:34 PM

Die or....

Die.

Cunt.

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/9038615.jpg

Bowser
07-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Was I fucked up last night or what? Exhibit A. Jeez...http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=247510

I'll go with "Or What" for $1000, Alex.

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-24-2011, 08:39 PM

LMAO Rep.

I was calling everyone within earshot a "fucking cunt".LMAO

Puh-LOWED.

Rain Man
07-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Okay, mostly good news. All of the electrical is now back on, and it looks like the living room ceiling is a minor repair. We've had the big industrial fans and dehumidifers going for three days, and it's all drying out, including the basement ceiling. However, the dining room ceiling will need to be replaced, the dining room walls and possibly one living room wall are still in question, and the hardwood on the second floor is iffy right now, which would be a tragedy since it's original to the house. They're going to bring in some type of superheater tomorrow to see if they can do anything with the hardwood, so my house is going to be warm for the next few days.

Could be worse, I guess.

Rausch
07-25-2011, 10:54 AM
I went out to lunch today and when I came back to the office I was told that my house was flooding.

Dude, you live in the f'n tip top of Colorado...

It turns out that a small plastic nut at the bottom of one of our toilets broke, and it released the inbound water line, which then enjoyed its newfound freedom by pumping untold amounts of water.

Too soon...

Rain Man
12-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Okay, five months later we almost have this whole thing repaired. We were able to save the hardwood floors and they look great after a nice sanding, and since we were rebuilding the dining room anyway I carped the diem and realized my dream of having crown molding around the ceiling. I love crown molding.

As usual, though, there's a chain reaction.

Event 1. Water line break floods second floor, dining room, living room, and part of basement.

leading to...

We moved the tenant out of the basement apartment for the short term (now five months) while we had the big industrial heaters to dry stuff out, and knowing we would do construction.

Since the dining room ceiling was down anyway, we decided to add crown molding when we put it back up.

Since the tenant was gone and it was going to take a while to fix everything, we decided to gut and remodel the kitchen in the apartment. New cabinets, sink, stove, tile, etc.

While we were working there, it was a good time to replace the windows with more energy-efficient windows, and also to replace the screen door with a full security door.

The apartment kitchen is adjacent to a large unfinished furnace room, so we decided to expand the kitchen into that space and make it larger.

To make it larger, we had to make changes to our ducts to get a better ceiling height.

Since we were changing and replacing ducts, it made sense to replace the furnace since it was approaching the end of its expected life span.

Since we were doing all that work in the basement already, my wife wanted to go ahead and fix up our laundry room and a big storage room.

Since we had to resand the hardwood floors on the second floor, it made sense to also resand the floors on the first floor.

Resanding meant that we had to remove everything from the house on the first two floors, and since everything was already out in the garage, we decided that now is the time to replace some of our older, more starter-era furniture, including two big chairs, three bookshelves, a hutch, a buffet, and a TV stand, so we're buying a bunch of new furniture.

All of that caused by the failure of a 25 cent nut on a water line. Thanks, manufacturing world.

mlyonsd
12-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Okay, five months later we almost have this whole thing repaired. We were able to save the hardwood floors and they look great after a nice sanding, and since we were rebuilding the dining room anyway I carped the diem and realized my dream of having crown molding around the ceiling. I love crown molding.

As usual, though, there's a chain reaction.

Event 1. Water line break floods second floor, dining room, living room, and part of basement.

leading to...

We moved the tenant out of the basement apartment for the short term (now five months) while we had the big industrial heaters to dry stuff out, and knowing we would do construction.

Since the dining room ceiling was down anyway, we decided to add crown molding when we put it back up.

Since the tenant was gone and it was going to take a while to fix everything, we decided to gut and remodel the kitchen in the apartment. New cabinets, sink, stove, tile, etc.

While we were working there, it was a good time to replace the windows with more energy-efficient windows, and also to replace the screen door with a full security door.

The apartment kitchen is adjacent to a large unfinished furnace room, so we decided to expand the kitchen into that space and make it larger.

To make it larger, we had to make changes to our ducts to get a better ceiling height.

Since we were changing and replacing ducts, it made sense to replace the furnace since it was approaching the end of its expected life span.

Since we were doing all that work in the basement already, my wife wanted to go ahead and fix up our laundry room and a big storage room.

Since we had to resand the hardwood floors on the second floor, it made sense to also resand the floors on the first floor.

Resanding meant that we had to remove everything from the house on the first two floors, and since everything was already out in the garage, we decided that now is the time to replace some of our older, more starter-era furniture, including two big chairs, three bookshelves, a hutch, a buffet, and a TV stand, so we're buying a bunch of new furniture.

All of that caused by the failure of a 25 cent nut on a water line. Thanks, manufacturing world. Wow, that's nuts.

prhom
12-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Sounds like you've been doing your best to stimulate the economy here in Denver!

Caseyguyrr
12-27-2011, 04:14 PM
sunday comes afterwards

MoreLemonPledge
12-27-2011, 04:26 PM
WATER YOU GOING TO DO NOW?

cdcox
12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
All of that caused by the failure of a 25 cent nut on a water line. Thanks, manufacturing world.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bimfoQyPn4U/SgetvTfpsVI/AAAAAAAAHTE/4R4NdWhSIHg/s400/19670000-Plastics-The-Gradu.gif