PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs come to terms with Wiegmann and two reserves

Tribal Warfare
07-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Chiefs come to terms with Wiegmann and two reserves (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/07/26/3039231/chiefs-come-to-terms-with-wiegmann.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs were busy on the first day of free-agency, agreeing to contract terms with three players, including starting center Casey Wiegmann. The others are reserves, wide receiver Terrance Copper and defensive back Travis Daniels.

The Chiefs were also working towards an agreement with at least two of their other free agents, defensive lineman Shaun Smith and safety Jon McGraw, but neither deal appeared to be final.

Wiegmann turned 38 last week but had one of the best seasons of his 15-year NFL career last year. He started all 16 games plus the playoff loss to Baltimore. He hasn’t missed a game or even a snap since the season opener of the 2001 season.

The Chiefs drafted Florida State’s Rodney Hudson in the second round of this year’s draft to be their long-term center. The return of Wiegmann allows Hudson the opportunity of learning as a backup.

Hudson can also play guard, and the Chiefs could try him at one of those spots.

Copper caught 18 passes as a backup for the Chiefs last season and was one of their better special-teams players. Daniels also played mainly on special teams last year.

Smith and McGraw were part-time starters last season. Smith played both end and nose tackle as part of the defensive-line rotation. He had a sack of quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and also scored a touchdown on a one-yard run in a November win over Seattle.

McGraw was a special-teams player who also gave the Chiefs some experience at the back end of their defense. Two rookies, Eric Berry and Kendrick Lewis, started at safety last season.

pr_capone
07-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Really? We are bringing McGraw back???

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2011, 01:52 AM
Weigmann did not have one of his best years.

Chief3188
07-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Really? We are bringing McGraw back???

Our safety depth is porous as evidenced last season when we were starting CB's back there just to fill in for injuries.

Mcgraw is old and a liability but he is a smart player and still has a knack for making a big play now and then so I am not too upset about it if they give him a one year deal to where he can be cut in camp if we find something better.

HotRoute
07-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Continuity is going to be the theme this offseason. Pioli is making this clear with these signings. Glad to see a deal with Shaun getting done

ct
07-27-2011, 10:44 AM
McGraw is necessary, only because our S depth is really bad. Just please please please do not EVAH put him in to matchup 1-1 w/ Antonio Gates, or any other TE who can move, AT ALL!

Mr. Laz
07-27-2011, 10:46 AM
this is the shit that is irritating

we can't do better than McGraw for depth?

pr_capone
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
this is the shit that is irritating

we can't do better than McGraw for depth?

Exactly. A UFA could fill McGraw's role on ST and the occasional spot substitution.

Okie_Apparition
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM
McGraw not getting his own signing thread shows a major lack of respect. Ireally thought Chiefs fans were classier than that

Easy 6
07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Glad to see a deal with Shaun getting done

Yep, i really didnt think they'd let him get away. He may never make the pro bowl, although his play approaches that level at times, but he's a definite cut above 'journeyman' IMO.

loochy
07-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Oh, wait. This ISN'T a bumped old thread?

Damn.

BigChiefFan
07-27-2011, 01:01 PM
It would be nice to bring in some names, that actually improve our team. I like some of the re-signings, but I expect a little more to help get us over the hump.

loochy
07-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Three years from now I'll bump this thread during free agency and I'll get nuthooks.

HotRoute
07-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Hopefully these are short term contracts we are talking about, has any more details on the length/amount come out for these contracts?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Weigmann did not have one of his best years.

ROFL Ya' think?

bobbything
07-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Teicher is so f*cking good at his job.