PDA

View Full Version : Money NFT: Sensibly Lowering Auto Insurance Coverage

Archie F. Swin
07-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Both cars are paid off. One car is nearly 10 years old. I want to go from full coverage on both vehicles to something more sensible, yet responsible and affordable. Any insurance folk here? I want to stay with my current provider. State is Texas.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-28-2011, 09:29 AM
If you can afford to replace the car out of pocket, go for it and just get liability. Not much to it beyond that.

07-28-2011, 09:31 AM
What are the cars worth?

kbb.com

KCUnited
07-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Make sure you keep your uninsured motorist coverage. Lot of uninsured drivers out there in this economy.

SuperChief
07-28-2011, 09:32 AM
If you can afford to replace the car out of pocket, go for it and just get liability. Not much to it beyond that.

This. I work in insurance, and it doesn't really get any more cut and dry than that. If you're concerned about your premium yet still want to keep physical damage coverage, you might consider raising your deductible to $1000 or higher; it won't make a huge difference, but sometimes it's enough to offset some costs.

If you have any other questions about insurance related stuff, fire away. No problems with helping a CP member here.

Extra Point
07-28-2011, 09:33 AM

Yeah, and if it's the other guy's fault for a future wreck, then his insurance pays the damages. When's the last time you were in a wreck?

Brock
07-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah, and if it's the other guy's fault for a future wreck, then his insurance pays the damages. When's the last time you were in a wreck?

Unless he doesn't have insurance, which a ton of people don't nowadays.

SuperChief
07-28-2011, 09:38 AM

In this event, you could sue for damages. I'm not sure how it is in other states, but in Kansas, you can have your wages garnished 25% for up to 10 years. Scary thought.

Brock
07-28-2011, 09:39 AM
In this event, you could sue for damages. I'm not sure how it is in other states, but in Kansas, you can have your wages garnished 25% for up to 10 years. Scary thought.

Yeah, been there done that. You know how much money I've recouped from the guy who couldn't spare 30 dollars a month for car insurance? Guess!

SuperChief
07-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah, been there done that. You know how much money I've recouped from the guy who couldn't spare 30 dollars a month for car insurance? Guess!

Weird . . . it's like I've heard that story 1000 times before. Weird.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-28-2011, 09:57 AM

my last 2 accidents were caused by uninsured drivers.

07-28-2011, 10:58 AM
This. I work in insurance, and it doesn't really get any more cut and dry than that. If you're concerned about your premium yet still want to keep physical damage coverage, you might consider raising your deductible to $1000 or higher; it won't make a huge difference, but sometimes it's enough to offset some costs.

If you have any other questions about insurance related stuff, fire away. No problems with helping a CP member here.

check your PMs

Mr. Arrowhead
07-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Make sure you keep your uninsured motorist coverage. Lot of uninsured drivers out there in this economy.

This it pisses me off, im car insurance agent and we get people in all the time that buy insurance for their tags and 2 days later they cancel.