PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs fill need with receiver Steve Breaston

Tribal Warfare
07-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Chiefs fill need with receiver Steve Breaston (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/07/27/3041607/chiefs-sign-receiver-steve-breaston.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs added another weapon to their growing collection of offensive skill players by agreeing to contract terms Wednesday with free-agent wide receiver Steve Breaston.

Breaston is reunited with Chiefs coach Todd Haley, who as Arizona’s offensive coordinator coached Breaston for the first two seasons of his NFL career. Breaston had the best year of his career in 2008 with Haley as his coach, catching 77 passes for 1,006 yards.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs suddenly have a hole at nose tackle. Starter Ron Edwards, also a free agent, agreed to contract terms with Carolina. That leaves the Chiefs with only veteran Shaun Smith, a free agent, and Jerrell Powe, a sixth-round draft pick. The Chiefs and Smith were negotiating a new contract.

But the news about Breaston, who will be 28 next month, should excite Chiefs fans. The Chiefs were 30th in passing yards a year ago, but Breaston and this year’s first-round draft pick, Jonathan Baldwin, should help quarterback Matt Cassel improve the attack.

Breaston, who is 6 feet tall and 189 pounds, played four seasons in Arizona. Although his stats dropped off the last two seasons after Haley moved to Kansas City, Breaston still totaled 102 receptions and 1,430 yards. Last year, Breaston averaged 15.3 yards per catch and had 15 receptions that went for 20 or more yards.

Baldwin and Breaston join an expanding group of skill players that includes wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, running back Jamaal Charles and quarterback Matt Cassel.

All three played in last season’s Pro Bowl.

Breaston will join the Chiefs today when they arrive at training camp at Missouri Western in St. Joseph. Their first practice is set for 3:30 p.m. Friday. They will also practice Saturday and Sunday at the same time.

The Chiefs have yet to announce the rest of their camp practice schedule.

“Our goal was to get through Friday, Saturday and Sunday and have it set and then be able to adjust as we go,” president Mark Donovan said. “The fans know it’s 3:30 (the first three days). They can come up to St. Joe and we’ll be out there.

“One of the things we’ve talked about is how many night practices we’re going to have. That’s under discussion. We also need to figure out the weather. If it’s really hot every day, the coach may just shift practice later to beat the heat.”

The Chiefs are allowed only one practice per day in pads and helmets. They may on some days have another practice, but only without helmets and pads.

“We’ve really focused on what we can do to give the fans the best experience,” Donovan said. “But we’ve also go to work within the rules. We can’t have two-a-days in pads. We just can’t do that.”

In other signing news, the Chiefs agreed to terms with safety Jon McGraw, a part-time starter last season, and seventh-round draft pick Shane Bannon, a fullback from Yale.

They also announced the signing of 10 undrafted rookies. Four are offensive linemen: Chris Harr (6-feet-6, 260 pounds, Tennessee-Chattanooga), Mike Ingersoll (6-5, 300, North Carolina), Butch Lewis (6-5, 295, Southern California) and David Mims (6-8, 335, Virginia Union). Two are defensive linemen: Brandon Bair (6-7, 272, Oregon) and Lucas Patterson (6-4, 295, Texas A&M).

The others are tight end Charlie Gantt (6-5, 260, Michigan State), linebacker Amara Kamara (6-1, 240, Temple), wide receiver Josue Paul (6-1, 190, Central Connecticut) and defensive back Demond Washington (5-9, 182, Auburn).

keg in kc
07-28-2011, 07:05 PM
I like how it was three sentences about Breaston and then two sentences on the hole at NT and then back to Breaston. :doh!:

RealSNR
07-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I like how it was three sentences about Breaston and then two sentences on the hole at NT and then back to Breaston. :doh!:And here I thought I was smart because I caught that.

Guess not :sulk:

keg in kc
07-28-2011, 07:10 PM
And here I thought I was smart because I caught that.

Guess not :sulk:Are you saying I'm not smart?

:huh:

RealSNR
07-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Are you saying I'm not smart?

:huh:I meant "special."

Mr. Laz
07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
didn't see a single word about Breaston's injured knee ... must of missed it.

evenfall
07-28-2011, 07:35 PM
I like the move. It will take Baldwin a year or two, and when he comes around, we will be really strong at the position.

GoHuge
07-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Without Teicher and his inside info we'd have to go to ESPN (or any sports website) to get our Chief's news!! I'm sure someone still enjoys the Star and getting yesterdays news today!! Not I said the mouse.