PDA

View Full Version : Football NOW OPEN: BETA test a new football predictions site

AustinChief
07-29-2011, 11:33 AM
My buddy is finishing a site that will go into BETA mode on Monday and he'd like some of us to test it out. The concept of the site is for making sports predictions...

So, let's say I could make a standard prediction that "Jamaal Charles will rush for 2017 yards this season" or I could make a crazy prediction like "there will be more Bronco arrests then Raider arrests from September until the end of the season." Then other people can agree or disagree with said predictions and make their own.

I told him that we would help work out the bugs and he agreed to let us have a hefty degree of input into how the scoring will work and such. He also plans to write a Vbulletin plugin, so we can tie our predictions score into our profiles.

It's a free site and will never go to a pay model so this isn't some sort of scam.

If you are interested in being part of the BETA, post in this thread and when the URL is active, I'll PM you. The BETA will probably only run for 4 or 5 days and then he will wipe all the data and open the site up for public usage. I imagine that CPers will be the dominant group until the site gets more exposure.

EDIT: SITE IS OPEN!
http://statstick.com/Home/Index

Kyle DeLexus
07-29-2011, 11:35 AM
That sounds like a cool site. Count me in.

OnTheWarpath15
07-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Sure.

Old Dog
07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Sounds intriguing. Count me in.

ChiefsCountry
07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Sound like Chiefs Planet with the search function. :)

Mr. Flopnuts
07-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Fersure.

AustinChief
07-29-2011, 11:42 AM
cool, I think it'll be a badass site. I have been talking to him for the last year and a half about it and giving input into the design... now it's finally ready to roll and from what I have seen so far, he really nailed it.

I honestly think that if we can help him get the scoring algorithms down.. this site could be huge.

luv
07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
I'll be wrong more times than not, but I'll try.

Bump
07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
I do I do

Crush
07-29-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm in.

why the hell not?

DMAC
Hell ya, I love random predictions.

Sofa King
07-29-2011, 12:44 PM
sweet.

penguinz
07-29-2011, 12:56 PM
I am in.

listopencil
07-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Sounds fun.

listopencil
07-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Prediction one, GoChiefs will be banned in Beta.

KCFalcon59
07-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Sounds fun. Sure

WhitiE
07-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Down like a clown.

The Franchise
07-29-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm in.

Bearcat
07-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Sure, I'm in.

TrebMaxx
07-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Since I am not working I might as well volunteer! Count me in.

4th and Long
07-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Prediction one, GoChiefs will be banned in Beta.
LMAO

DRU
07-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Sure, sounds interesting.

Buck
07-29-2011, 03:40 PM
I used to be part of a site like that called www.faniq.com

It was cool for a while, now it's a piece of shit.

vailpass
07-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Sure. Sounds like an interesting concept.

Easy 6
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
In

blaise
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
I would.

bevischief
07-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Count me in.

AustinChief
07-29-2011, 05:26 PM
I used to be part of a site like that called www.faniq.com

It was cool for a while, now it's a piece of shit.

This isn't like faniq... faniq flat out sucks.

kysirsoze
07-29-2011, 05:53 PM
My buddy is finishing a site that will go into BETA mode on Monday and he'd like some of us to test it out. The concept of the site is for making sports predictions...

So, let's say I could make a standard prediction that "Jamaal Charles will rush for 2017 yards this season" or I could make a crazy prediction like "there will be more Bronco arrests then Raider arrests from September until the end of the season." Then other people can agree or disagree with said predictions and make their own.

I told him that we would help work out the bugs and he agreed to let us have a hefty degree of input into how the scoring will work and such. He also plans to write a Vbulletin plugin, so we can tie our predictions score into our profiles.

It's a free site and will never go to a pay model so this isn't some sort of scam.

If you are interested in being part of the BETA, post in this thread and when the URL is active, I'll PM you. The BETA will probably only run for 4 or 5 days and then he will wipe all the data and open the site up for public usage. I imagine that CPers will be the dominant group until the site gets more exposure.

SPAM. Mods ban him, please.

kysirsoze
07-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Oh, and I'm in.

TimeForWasp
07-29-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm in.

Fat Elvis
07-29-2011, 06:10 PM
I will give it a go.

Psyko Tek
07-29-2011, 06:34 PM
hell yes can I play too?

Raiderhater58
07-30-2011, 04:34 AM
Ill have a go

big nasty kcnut
07-30-2011, 04:37 AM
I'm in this.

AustinChief
08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
OK. This is ready for testing... currently the site is having an error/issue with pagination (the next/last page type of stuff) but otherwise seems to work fine.

Please remember the site is in preseason mode and any prediction made will be wiped out and the site reset before it goes live in a week or two. So don't get too attached to the predictions you are making now.

What would help the most is if you could provide feedback here about the overall functionality of the site and any comments/suggestions you may have in general.

Ok, here ya go...

http://www.statstick.com

58-4ever
08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Very cool design. I can't wait to give it a try.

AustinChief
08-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Very cool design. I can't wait to give it a try.

Try it out now! Tomorrow they are fixing a ton of minor design issues that will make the flow of the site better but you are free to play around right now!

AustinChief
08-03-2011, 09:43 PM
http://statstick.com/Predictions/InteractivePredictionDetails/9258

HAHAHA!

AustinChief
08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Anybody try this yet? Any feedback?

RockChalk
08-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Anybody try this yet? Any feedback?

I like it.

When making season predictions (division winners, # of wins, etc.), it would be cool if you could see what you predicted. For example, you can go through and pick 1st through 4th place in every division. However, when you go to pick the post season teams, you are on a different page and cannot see what order to picked teams to finish in.

I know, I know...it's a petty suggestion. And it really doesn't bother me. Just would be cool if you could see that as you continue onto different pages with predictions.

Old Dog
08-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I like it. Seems fairly straightforward.

AustinChief
08-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I like it.

When making season predictions (division winners, # of wins, etc.), it would be cool if you could see what you predicted. For example, you can go through and pick 1st through 4th place in every division. However, when you go to pick the post season teams, you are on a different page and cannot see what order to picked teams to finish in.

I know, I know...it's a petty suggestion. And it really doesn't bother me. Just would be cool if you could see that as you continue onto different pages with predictions.

No, that is EXACTLY the kind of feedback my buddy wants to hear.

For example, I told him he needs to have a section after each prediction where you can then SHARE that prediction via Facebook or a direct link so you could post it here... then people could go and agree/disagree with you.

He is implementing that functionality in the next day.

So any suggestions help!

BearDown
08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I like it.

thanks for feedback, that is exactly the type of stuff i am looking for.

in fact, i had all that stuff on one page earlier, but decided to break it into 2 pages because it was just a lot on one page.

here is my main goal... i wanted to break make the website so that a user could predict as much as they wanted, but not require them to predict everything. basically, i know fans are intersted in different things, and we all have predictions about some things, but not others.

as a result users can enter anything they want without having entered the logic predictions that proceed the current one.

for example, if a fan wants to predict the chiefs will win the superbowl, they can do that without predicting the regular season record, that the chiefs will make the playoffs, that they will go to or win the AFC championship game... ect...

that doesnt exactly address your input, but i just wanted you to understand why the current pages and predictions are displayed/organized.

great feedback, please keep it coming. i am trying to get this thing finished in the next week... in time for all of our real predictions

AustinChief
08-04-2011, 05:09 PM

in fact, i had all that stuff on one page earlier, but decided to break it into 2 pages because it was just a lot on one page.

here is my main goal... i wanted to break make the website so that a user could predict as much as they wanted, but not require them to predict everything. basically, i know fans are intersted in different things, and we all have predictions about some things, but not others.

as a result users can enter anything they want without having entered the logic predictions that proceed the current one.

for example, if a fan wants to predict the chiefs will win the superbowl, they can do that without predicting the regular season record, that the chiefs will make the playoffs, that they will go to or win the AFC championship game... ect...

that doesnt exactly address your input, but i just wanted you to understand why the current pages and predictions are displayed/organized.

great feedback, please keep it coming. i am trying to get this thing finished in the next week... in time for all of our real predictions

Oh, and I'm a giant poof!

I KNEW IT!

AustinChief
08-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Another small point.. the agree/disagree links are REALLY hard to click... probably need to make them buttons or somesuch

AustinChief
08-06-2011, 03:57 AM
seriously kids.. I thought you'd give this a shot and pour the piss on all the problems...

Lex Luthor
08-06-2011, 07:53 AM
I may be late to the party, but I'd like to participate.

cdcox
08-06-2011, 10:03 AM
So on the standard predictions, do you get credit for being close? For example if you predict that Jamaal Charles will gain 4.6 yards per carry and he actually gains 4.5 yards per carry, do you get partial credit? Same with ranking the offense and defense -- if you rank the Chiefs 5th on offense do you get any credit if they actually finish 3rd?

The site is easy to navigate, looks good, and is intuitive.

Dante84
08-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Very cool....

first thing i noticed was this, though: "TE Lewis signs 5 yesr $35M deal with Jaguars"

Quick typo fix, and you're all good.

cdcox
08-06-2011, 10:24 AM
You might want to think about using reCAPTCHA on registration and implement an email confirmation of registration to help keep out the bots.

Some of the interactive predictions might be a little tough to determine "(Jacoby Ford) Run DMC will be a top 5 fantasy back this year." According to what metric?

BearDown
08-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I may be late to the party, but I'd like to participate.

Brainiac... please go for it, i would like your input

BearDown
08-06-2011, 11:05 AM
So on the standard predictions, do you get credit for being close? For example if you predict that Jamaal Charles will gain 4.6 yards per carry and he actually gains 4.5 yards per carry, do you get partial credit? Same with ranking the offense and defense -- if you rank the Chiefs 5th on offense do you get any credit if they actually finish 3rd?

The site is easy to navigate, looks good, and is intuitive.

great question and YES! first thing i thought about when building this was what would be considered correct and incorrect.

here is the way the system works (i should add this to the site come to think of it). every single statistical prediction has a "Correctness threshold".. a CT. If you are within the CT for that particlar predictions you are CORRECT and you earn positive points (to the degree that you are correct).. if you are not with the CT you get the negative maximum meaning... WRONG

if you predicted jamaal charles will have 100 yards rushing... and he has 110... you are 90% correct. that falls with the CT for that particular prediction.. so you earn a portion of the points possible for that prediction. If there were 10 points possible... you would earn around 9 points (in general, there is a little more that goes into it)

All prediction scores are modified by 1) time 2) accuracy 3) risk 4) general importants of the predictions (superbowl winner correct earns you alot more than passing yards during a game.. ect)

let me know if that answers your questions

and thank you for testing this thing for me.

BearDown
08-06-2011, 11:13 AM
You might want to think about using reCAPTCHA on registration and implement an email confirmation of registration to help keep out the bots.

Some of the interactive predictions might be a little tough to determine "(Jacoby Ford) Run DMC will be a top 5 fantasy back this year." According to what metric?

i do need a secure login system.. will talk to the programmer about it, i will remember reCAPTCHA. Are there others i should look at?

yeah, interactive predictions are a crazy beast. here is the way that will work. when a prediction is over, the prediction goes public and users that didnt not participate in the prediction can vote on its correctness (I have people that quality control this to a degree as well). Yes, it could be hard to determine correctness (because the prediction itself is flawed.. like the one you posted) so we also have a "Cannot determine" link that is intended to be used for that scenario... if to many "cannot determines" are submited.. the predictors will get a "could not score" message.

let me know if that helps, and if you have more input... thank you for helping me with this.

and thank you kyle for introducing your buds here at chiefsplanet to this

BearDown
08-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Very cool....

first thing i noticed was this, though: "TE Lewis signs 5 yesr $35M deal with Jaguars"

Quick typo fix, and you're all good.

that hurts! i fixed it... thanks

Otter
08-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm going to StJo to follow this.

Chiefshrink
08-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I lose bets all the time. Count me in!!!

AustinChief
08-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm going to StJo to follow this.

argh! I will kill you dead! :D

08-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Man, the agree disagree buttons are practically non existent.

AustinChief
08-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Man, the agree disagree buttons are practically non existent.

yup, those need to be easier to click for sure.

08-06-2011, 01:38 PM
yup, those need to be easier to click for sure.

Seems odd that it has to be the tiny line under the word you have to click rather than the word itself.

08-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Something else that would be nice is that when you make a statistical prediction where there are a lot of options, the option you selected will disappear on the next menu. For example, when choosing where every team will place in their division, it would help to have the team you selected to finish first not show up as an option in the other three slots and so forth.

08-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Being able to edit a prediction close date would be nice as well.

BossChief
08-06-2011, 06:59 PM
The Chiefs will draft Tony Moeaki, Ricky Stanzi, Jonathan Baldwin and Jerrell Powe.

Easy 6
08-06-2011, 09:08 PM
OK. This is ready for testing... currently the site is having an error/issue with pagination (the next/last page type of stuff) but otherwise seems to work fine.

Please remember the site is in preseason mode and any prediction made will be wiped out and the site reset before it goes live in a week or two. So don't get too attached to the predictions you are making now.

What would help the most is if you could provide feedback here about the overall functionality of the site and any comments/suggestions you may have in general.

Ok, here ya go...

http://www.statstick.com

Looks cool & Kyle DeLexus is currently predicting awesome things for KC, i will certainly investigate further in the near future.

BearDown
08-29-2011, 12:13 AM
STATstick.com is now up and running chief fans...

you can go make your predictions about the chiefs (or anyone else for that matter) anytime.

this community was the first group to be introduced to the site. thanks for your feedback while we were testing.

I believe AustinChief is going to set up a group just for chiefsplanet guys, so if you want in let him know!

Lets find out how much you chiefs fans know about football!!!

BearDown
08-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Being able to edit a prediction close date would be nice as well.

Great Idea Guru... we took it to heart... you can now end an interactive prediction at any time.

That means you can move an interactive end date up... but you cannot extend it longer